Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of limiting speed, have vehicle turn on flashers and flash headlights when 10 MPH over limit.
If more than 20 above start sounding the horn.
If above 30, activate Darwin award mode.
So what you're suggesting is at 20 over the limit it goes into 'unmarked Police car' mode?
Hmmmm... that would actually be quite useful for clearing the dawdlers out of my way :)

How? Tesla cars are already speed limited, they would just have to change the setting for the max speed. Remember, the max speed does not impact the power below that speed. I'd say it would hurt ICE sales far more than Tesla's sales.

Nah—read the article. Rules would limit vehicle to actual speed limit. I get it that driver could press accelerator but I wonder if AP would be limited.

The Middle East has a 120kph warning chime... You can go faster, but reportedly you wouldn't want to...
When I was in Saudi Arabia (a couple of decades ago) there was the chime. It was universally ignored. As was the wearing of seatbelts. I amused Saudis by trying to dig out the non-functioning seatbelt when I was a passenger. They also used the horn to indicate lane changes which I never got completely used to. The horns were also mandatory on any change to green. It was as if everyone assumed no other driver could see the light and had to be notified the instant it turned green. I don't recall ever seeing a Saudi use a turn signal.

However, more recently in Jordan I don't recall any speed chime and I'm pretty sure we went at least 120kph north-south. I didn't do any of the driving myself so I don't have any strong recollection about the driving habits other than it was surprising to not witness any accidents despite the crazy driving. I did at one point try to record a video of the traffic, but was too slow and it was sedate by the time I did so.

Regardless, in neither country was speed a concern. Given the under use of safety restraints it is highly likely that accidents are more dangerous for those involved, but despite everything I've seen higher accident rates and riskier driving in the US.

Instead of limiting speed, have vehicle turn on flashers and flash headlights when 10 MPH over limit.
If more than 20 above start sounding the horn.
If above 30, activate Darwin award mode.
the problem with this approach is it isn't so much the people in the speeding vehicle that are at risk. When I was in highschool some of my fellow students went out of town to do some underage drinking. When they ran low a few of them made a run into town where they crossed the line and collided head-on with a family killing mother, father and child.

I've never had much (if any) sympathy for the drunks, but my heart still goes out to the family who was killed by the careless thoughtlessness... I'm getting angry so I'll stop.

My point is "Darwin award mode" applies to others on the road as well.

Now we’re scared to show our support? They already think we’re a cult, so not showing public support suddenly change their minds? Um...no. Hell, no.

Ridiculous thought process and you’ve now let *them* dictate what you do or don’t do for *appearances* sake. Screw that.

Wear your hats and t-shirts and flaunt the fact you support Tesla and Elon Musk. Power to the people and all that. Flood the courtroom, pack it lime sardines and let *them* all know you will not go away, you will not hide, you will not behave the way *they* want you to.

Nobody is suggesting we walk in there and start a riot, but neither should we hide and submit.

Respect the court and its process AND show your support for Tesla and Elon Musk.
Nobody suggested we are scared to show our support. However, discretion is the better part of valor in many cases. I don't think we want the judge to feel pressured in any way.

Dan

The Maxwell merger is your typical merger: i.e. very likely to happen, though not guaranteed. Tesla's set it up in a fashion which makes it extremely hard to stop unless there's a "bidding war" and there are no signs of another bidder.

I wouldn't bet on exactly WHEN it's going to go through, though (that said, I kind of have bet a little on when it's going to go through, but I'm fine even if I'm wrong -- I wouldn't be playing short-term call options or stuff like that though).

Nobody suggested we are scared to show our support. However, discretion is the better part of valor in many cases. I don't think we want the judge to feel pressured in any way.

That's what it is -- as a visitor in a courtroom, you do not ever want to appear to be influencing the judge (or jury, or witnesses). This is just standard. You're a visitor. You're just *watching*. They shouldn't be watching *you*.

(If you're a witness or a litigant, your purpose kind of is to influence the judge and jury, so the rules are different.)

Now we’re scared to show our support? They already think we’re a cult, so not showing public support suddenly change their minds? Um...no. Hell, no.

Ridiculous thought process and you’ve now let *them* dictate what you do or don’t do for *appearances* sake. Screw that.

Wear your hats and t-shirts and flaunt the fact you support Tesla and Elon Musk. Power to the people and all that. Flood the courtroom, pack it lime sardines and let *them* all know you will not go away, you will not hide, you will not behave the way *they* want you to.

Nobody is suggesting we walk in there and start a riot, but neither should we hide and submit.

Respect the court and its process AND show your support for Tesla and Elon Musk.

I have never seen a federal court judge react to the appearance/choice of clothing attire of a member of the gallery. Conversations among participants, no matter how hushed the tone, are another matter. They are seldom tolerated, even among members of the bar. Outbursts of any kind, whether in support, opposition, or just spontaneously in response to a point made in oral argument, will likely result in removal from the courtroom. That is what courtroom deputies and the members of the US Marshall service are for and they take their jobs quite seriously.

Trials are not about "showing support". This is not a sports game. Any attempt you make to try to influence the judge by "showing support" is only going to backfire on you. Judges see themselves as impartial public servants seeking the truth, when they could instead be taking a much larger paycheck in private law practice. They don't generally take kindly to people trying to peer-pressure them.

In the same way that Cramer saying that the judge has to rule against Musk because he's making a fool of her is likely to backfire, Tesla supporters showing up in pro-Musk gear is likely to as well. Just don't.

Last edited:
Big automakers starting to look desperate

In view of the bad feeling unleashed by Japan’s detention of Carlos Ghosn in November, one might have expected Renault SA to keep things quiet for a while. Ghosn was head of the giant Renault-Nissan carmaking alliance and one theory for his downfall was that he was pushing too hard for a full combination of the French and Japanese companies.

But now, according to the Financial Times, Renault SA hopes to restart those merger talks with Nissan Motor Co. within 12 months and then launch a bid for another big carmaker, possibly Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

This is surprising, to put it mildly. Seeking fresh discussions about a tie-up risks opening barely healed wounds in Tokyo.

That Renault would even consider such a move suggests relations with Nissan have improved since Ghosn was ousted. But even more than that, it underscores the desperation of carmakers as they try to respond to the industry’s epochal challenge: The hugely expensive shift to electric and automated vehicles.

Is Panasonic going to invest in new ovens at GF1 if they know the Maxwell dry tech is viable?

Or are we going to have to wait ~1 year before GF can expand beyond ~27 GWh per year?
Can't see how they can wait to add battery production lines with the Model Y coming around the end of the year. Also, wouldn't GF1 have to be expanded just for the Model Y production lines or is there already enough open space to accommodate it?

Reactions: wnorris
If macro stay green and stable today , shall we close above 275 today?
Without the April 4th court date I would have said Yes. I would have expected the SP around 300 by close next Tuesday before Q1 numbers. I worry that the ruling will keep a lid on things until the 5th, or later if there is no immediate ruling. For the sake of my marriage, I hope I'm wrong (I want my balls back)....

I'm picturing something like this:

I’m still picking myself up off the floor from this one. Although some may disagree, I’m glad there’s good comedic relief on this thread. Thanks everyone for keeping this amazing thread alive. I look forward to this learning, laughing, sharing everyday... what a cult.....

5200 Angstroms

Why does this remind me of Andromeda Strain...

ub9QDvn.png

On topic: Latest SA FUD seems to be getting desperate:

Tesla vehicles are like four-wheeled rockets and the company is selling them to anyone with a drivers license. Some customers do not even get a test drive.
Translation: These cars are way too fast! Think of the children! How irresponsible!

Buyers are allowing Tesla to get away with things they would never allow another dealer to do.
Translation: These cars are terrible! The customers are just too stupid to notice.

Bullish investors are ignoring the long-term impacts certain issues could have on sales, revenues, and profits.
Translation: You're just not smart enough to buy into my F... I mean well-meant opinion which I totally don't spew to further my own financial goals.

Disclosure: I am/we are short TSLA VIA OPTIONS.

Who would've thought....