Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This week TSLA has kept above its 200-day moving average which has been-long term support except for a brief but sharp dip below last week. The next target is the regaining of its 50-day moving average. Doing so should be quite bullish. :cool:
Despite the drop today, TSLA closed just above its supportive 200-day SMA (simple moving average).

Bout to go back under the 200 day moving average.

Not gonna lie, chart looks ugly as hell 🥴 😅

Firmly back in the downtrend now and I suspect Wall St's very content to just keep riding TSLA in this downtrend line until something of substance is announced. Next thing up is Q1 P/D numbers in a month and even then, I think there's going to plenty of FUD from carebears saying Tesla's margins are going to collapse from starting production at Berlin/Austin. Q1 P/D numbers would have to surprise in a pretty decent way, I think anything above 340k would do it.

So in reality, if the downtrend keeps in tack, TSLA will be in the mid to low 700's by the time Q1 earnings come out. That is such a joke.
If we drift to $720 at the end of April, we'll be within 6 months of a 50-60 PE, and that's not contested by anyone following TSLA.

Your own posting of the last 6 months says that will never happen.

I'm resisting any urge to lever up at 840 and will wait til at least 810 AND won't do anything til we're at least within a couple days of Mar 16 Fed day. If I can buy $1200/$1400 Jan 2024 call spreads in April with SP at $740 I'll do joyous backflips. Probably get 8-to-1 or more on that spread if SP is that low.

Reddit post with the email. Might just be for Northern states.

Just got my email.

Didn't figure I would get it since I'm down in Oregon where "Winter" consists mostly of lots of rain.

I guess their idea of cold weather states is pretty broad.

Maybe related to the lawsuit about paint degradation?

EDIT: And ordered it. Almost paid for it by mistake. Tesla makes it too easy to pull the trigger on their website!

Last edited:
I hope Elon does whatever tickles his fancy, he’s earned it.

It would suck as an investor if he got injured or killed, but he should enjoy his life.

Fortunately for us, it seems like Musk “enjoys” accomplishing 4 impossible things at once.
My charismatic, engineering genius boss was killed indulging his extreme sports passion many years ago. Ripped the heart out of the company, but did any one of us begrudge him dying doing what he loved? Not for a second. The world is a poorer place without him,but would have been an even poorer place with a neutered version of him still in it.

What is it? An umbrella? A pair of goulashes perhaps???

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd and UncaNed
If we drift to $720 at the end of April, we'll be within 6 months of a 50-60 PE, and that's not contested by anyone following TSLA.

Your own posting of the last 6 months says that will never happen.

I'm resisting any urge to lever up at 840 and will wait til at least 810 AND won't do anything til we're at least within a couple days of Mar 16 Fed day. If I can buy $1200/$1400 Jan 2024 call spreads in April with SP at $740 I'll do joyous backflips. Probably get 8-to-1 or more on that spread if SP is that low.
Well what I've been saying is that I don't think Tesla will trade at a Foward P/E of less than 50. If it did trade under that this year, I would probably leverage up a ton even though I have a bunch of leverage already. Which would mean if the share price is 800 and Tesla does 330k minimum deliveries for Q1 + all those one time items not being there, would get the Forward P/E ratio down to well below 50.

My post is pretty consistent with what I've been posting since I saw the reaction in the stock after Q4 earnings. They're going use the volatility and lack of buying power in the market in general to drive it as low as possible and as long as possible until Q1's earnings. The downtrend lines are just crystal clear. The stock gets pummeled every time it tests it.

Those one-time items in Q4 really gave Wall St a lot of leverage in this type of macro environment. Forward P/E is 85 today. Take away one time hits from Elon's options and comp plan and that Forward P/E is 64. Take away the one time items for warranty and expediting and the Forward P/E as of today is 54. And as I mentioned before, TTM P/E is heavily skewed by Q1 2021's GAAP EPS. If Tesla prints a $3 GAAP EPS for Q1 2022 then the TTM P/E is going to drop like a rock.

So in summary, I think they keep this up with Tesla staying in a downtrend until Q1 earnings. If Q1 P/D numbers are blowout, above 340k, that could force them to capitulate sooner. The other outcome is we start to get inflation data over the next month that points to inflation easing....which means the stock market rally as a whole is back on.

Last edited:

BREAKING: Panasonic To Build U.S. Battery Plant To Supply $TSLA - Bloomberg Oklahoma, Kansas Candidates For Panasonic U.S. Plant
Why so far from Giga Texas (if they don't produce enough cells locally), unless Tesla plans to open a new one… for Tesla Energy maybe, but then, would Pana start producing LFP cells? I'm confused.

This just arrived in my email: FPL Boosts Move to EVs

Excerpts:

Our fast charging network is delivering clean, reliable energy everywhere it’s needed. By building an 800+ mile stretch of fast charging stations, drivers will be able to plug in approximately every 25 miles along Florida's busiest highways.

Coming summer 2022, enjoy worry-free, faster charging at home with a level 2 EV charger. There's no upfront costs for equipment or installation, and unlimited night and weekend off-peak charging will keep your EV fully charged and ready to go.

Why so far from Giga Texas (if they don't produce enough cells locally), unless Tesla plans to open a new one… for Tesla Energy maybe, but then, would Pana start producing LFP cells? I'm confused.
Weird, we learned two days ago that Pana is also planning to produce 4680… in Japan.
Panasonic said it would produce its latest lithium-ion battery on the site of its former laptop and mobile phone battery plant in Kinokawa in Japan’s Wakayama prefecture.

Reports suggested the company chose this location because of the availability of skilled engineers, despite the distance from Tesla vehicle plants, after it struggled to recruit enough skilled staff for its existing plant in the US.
Maybe only one of the two projects will stand. Or Pana is betting big on Tesla once again.

• Disagree
Reactions: goin2drt
Weird, we learned two days ago that Pana is also planning to produce 4680… in Japan.

Maybe only one of the two projects will stand. Or Pana is betting big on Tesla once again.
Erratum: that "Japan plant" news is from Jan, not 2 days ago Panasonic to make new Tesla batteries in Japan after U.S. snag

Let's wait for Bloomberg full article on the US project.

Edit: https://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article258307028.html earlier rumors on a potential Tesla-Pana Oklahoma factory

Tesla's cell demand is whatever they can produce in house plus what third parties will sell them at a reasonable price.

I'm pretty sure for the next 10 years or so they will find a use for anything Panasonic feeds them.

I just watched this, and now I am convinced Ford is doomed.
Previously, I was thinking Ford might survive with their reorganization, but this leads me to think they still don’t get it due to this

Mod: last post on Ford (and Rivian and Lucid) for a while. The bashing of these competitors has been going on for 24 hours now. That will do.

Last edited by a moderator: