Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SEC has responded to Tesla/Elon in the complaint about the subpoenas: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755.78.0.pdf

They aren't going to give up without a fight. (But they do now admit that they issued subpoenas, just private/sealed ones...)
I don't get this. Insider trading is when you selectively give information to select people (hhmm.. like WS thugs) who then profit out of that. But if some information is shared to the general public to everyone, then that can be no more considered insider information, and in fact that is more democratic. The current SEC rules seem to favor the former, but claim the later is fraudulent. It doesn't make sense. It should be the opposite.

The little guy on the street is generally left in the dark when it is perfectly legitimate to share some piece of material information privately with WS firms. Twitter democratizes information for all retail and institution investors, and so it should be considered the only legal way to disseminate information

Or maybe WS has finally caught up to it and the MM's are scared to hold it down now gong into earnings....nah.....no way! :)
"Holding it down" has a cost, MM's have to naked short in order to cap upward movement or hold shares flat when people are buying.

They've been doing that quite a bit over the last months, weeks, days and at some point the algos sound the alarm. Would you sell shares at 965 this week and just hope you could buy them back for less down the road?

Some folks are covering short positions(also see big move up in GME and other memes). Most folks are probably just not willing to short more.

I'm selfishly hoping they jump back in with shorting to protect the $1000 call options this week.

Tesla knows how important the Chinese market is to them and they have the most competition in China verses other Asian markets and Australia. So they're not going to let the wait times for Chinese consumers grow to absurd levels.

So while Shanghai's production levels keep increasing, I think for sure most of that increased production goes to local sales, not exports.
This is a really interesting topic. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I'm just saying you can't count on Tesla emphasizing the Chinese market over the rest of Asia and Australia.

Tesla has unlimited demand in every developed nation.

So how do you game out where you want to grow your market share? How will sending more cars to a particular market help to dominate that market in the future? Will it be better to fight in a more competitive large market (China) where margins are lower or will it be better to dominate smaller less competitive markets where margins are potentially higher? Of course, export costs also play a role, but that doesn't mean a place like Australia or Singapore can't eventually give Tesla greater margins than China. And we don't know where Tesla is planning to build future factories.

I do think that where they decide to allocate cars will depend on long term strategy rather than immediate profit. And I think we agree on that as well.

Honestly dude slams himself.

Check out this master class in how NOT to correctly read a 10-K, with his fridge-worthy artwork labeling included

Explanation for the group:
Loss in US of $130M is after subtracting the US portion of R&D, SG&A, (including the CEO payroll tax of $340 million (without which US would have shown net profit)), and interest expenses.
Total operating expenses just above $7.25 billion, $2.6B of which was R&D. For reference, R&D was $1.4B before Shanghai came on line.
This is also part of why the deferred tax vaulation stays deferred.
Fremont vehicle production is profitable.
Gross profit $13.6 B, foreign pre tax $6.35B, US portion is then around $6 Billion also.
SmartSelect_20220322-144806_Firefox.jpg

Searched long and hard today for FUD...i believe i found a winner:

1647976110381.png

"Microsoft was one of only two companies to receive an A, and the only tech company to do so."
"Tesla, on the other hand, ranked at the very bottom of the list with a big, fat F. That put it even below well-known polluters like Chevron and Exxon, despite being an EV company."

Wonder if Bill Gates owns this website.