Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's the problem with Tesla Energy. The only advantage Tesla has with Energy is Elon's grand plans and his willingness to execute them. With automobiles, Tesla has that, plus a huge lead in technology. Energy is another area where Tesla needs to "show me the money".

We have 3 PowerWalls. Don’t know of any alternative that does what they do and provide seamless integration with our panels, house, utility company, and vehicles. All via one app.

CNBC really pouring it on this weekend. Lora Kolodny with a piece today, not delving into all the amazing technological innovations brought forward at the opening of GigaAustin, but about a guy who seemingly can't get a refund for a Model X he bought 2 years ago. Not linking to it.

Now I'm scanning the front page of CNBC and they're covering how a "four-man team representing Houston-based startup company Axiom Space lifted off on Friday from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center." Nevermind it was SpaceX that ran and flew the mission. If you dig deep enough into the article they mention it a couple times, but clearly the purpose is to present this as a competitor to SpaceX taking private astronauts to the ISS.

I know it's repetitive to keep posting every slanted piece of "journalism" printed by CNBC, but I'm not really interested in how this impacts Telsa/SpaceX/Elon. Other than the investment returns, the best thing I've gotten out of following Tesla on their journey is a close-up look at how journalism works. We see media outlets set the narrative at the behest of.....whomever, then watch it trickle into the subconscious of everyone around us til they spout off the talking points like they're fact.

We're only about a dozen years into this dynamic of everyone having a smartphone on their person at all times, but it worries me we may be stuck in this world for good. Is it likely a critical mass of people will stop seeing "the news" as presenting facts? Yes, the news has always been spun like this, but now you can practically program reality in real time.

What I'd LOVE to see up close is how these relationships actually flow. We know hedge funds pay for airtime on "business news" networks, and we know various entities pay for media headlines, but what's the internal mechanism? Who develops the headlines? Who writes the check and how is it delivered? Who draws the line on what goes to far? I've been around corporations long enough to guess, but I think it would be great to actually see it in motion in specific instances.

If only there were any actual independent investigative journalist left to look into it. It would make a great Bethany McLean book, but as we all know she's now dipped her toes into this very same industry.

I guess human civilization will work it out eventually. This kind of activity is born of desperation from an industry in decline and willing to compromise itself for an extension on their relevance and profitability.
It works itself out or it doesn’t. We hope it does and normally I’d say don’t hold your breath. However, Elon Musk now sits on the Twitter board and promising changes. It’s the start we needed. And if Twitter is too slow for Elon, guess what he does next? 😉

It works itself out or it doesn’t. We hope it does and normally I’d say don’t hold your breath. However, Elon Musk now sits on the Twitter board and promising changes. It’s the start we needed. And if Twitter is too slow for Elon, guess what he does next? 😉
Elon: "The corporation (Twitter) needs to reduce staffing costs and increase freedom of speech!"
Board (rolling eyes): "We've looked at that repeatedly, and there's just no way to do both!"
Elon: "Here's a list of accounts to restore."

Given the EPA's new Model Y entry w. 279 mi range, I estimate* the following specs for the Austin Std Model Y:
  • from cell count, I est. pack capacity at 63.4 Kwh
  • from pack capacity and range, I est. Energy usage at 225 wh/mi
  • given energy use for LR Model Y at 250 wh/mi, I est. Austin Std Y is 8% more efficient
  • from relative energy efficiency, I est Std Y weighs ~365 lbs less than Fremont LR Y
  • given lower mass of vehicle, I also est. Std Y should also cost 8% less for raw materials
  • with f/r megacastings, reduced body line size, and new paint shop, imputs should also be less
*All figures are estimates. Your mileage may vary. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear.
Yeah, I wouldn't go with those estimates. The EPA testing docs show that it weighs 25 pounds less, and the MPGe estimate is only 1 MPGe higher. (And is actually lower for the highway.) So I would say energy usage is basically the same, as they are both rated 28 kWh/100 miles:

1649529549602.png

I would really like to see a 10% drop in total vehicle weight but that is not happening for a comparable range. Now the 279 mile car may be 10% lighter than the 350 mile car but that is a different story. I think we are looking at about 200lbs difference, not 200kg difference with structural battery and 4680 cells. If so, that alone is big deal.
Tesla says 10%. structural pack by itself accounts for 80kg or so, but each of the front and rear castings eliminate >150 parts, plus provide suspension mounts and other high weight pieces, without considering fasteners and welds, but of which are more complex, heavier and more effort to install.
We have no way at all to suggest any specific vehicle range effector 2680 vs 2170. Why? because the range depends on battery capacity and thus far we have not known the battery capacity in any 4680 models. Now that there ahem been deliveries we can find out. Until them comparable range is unknown. We do know that battery capacity can decline without commensurate range diminution.

For reference compare Model S P100D and Plaid for performance and range then consider the battery capacity. Once you do that you might think again about your conclusions. Hint! My Plaid has a smaller battery than did the P100D. Yet the new ones has better absolute efficiency, much higher range and magnificently better performance.

Once there are enough 4680's we will all begin to see some actual daily performance and more vehicle types.

This is super cute, but it’s not a Tesla 😢. I hope Tesla comes out with a small sedan (model 2?)!
I think the Honda E is still better looking. There's something about that Smart video that is a turn off besides the concept like interior, its too superficial but that's just me. I wish the Honda E's were sold here.

This guy has a gret video from Giga Tejas opening.

Best views of the new CT

At 7:58 is a good shot of the interior and the behind the yoke instrument cluster.

And at 8:09, it sure looks like the back is open (i.e. the back window goes down).

But at 9:00, the second prototype doesn't have an instrument cluster.

Last edited:
Looks like Tesla is preparing to put the Standard Range AWD Model Y on the configurator. Option code MTY14 was updated overnight with the 279 mile range:

Edit: I think this also points to the fact that the SR MY AWD is not an LFP pack. They've dropped 0-60 acceleration from 4.8 seconds on the LR to 5.0 seconds on the SR. Compare that to when the Model 3 SR+ went to LFP, the 0-60 dropped from 5.3 seconds to 5.8 seconds.
Acceleration drop is from change of motor in Q1, I have Q4 MIC SR+ with 60kWh LFP and old motor

Yeah, I wouldn't go with those estimates. The EPA testing docs show that it weighs 25 pounds less, and the MPGe estimate is only 1 MPGe higher. (And is actually lower for the highway.) So I would say energy usage is basically the same, as they are both rated 28 kWh/100 miles:

View attachment 791818
If the new SR weighs 25lbs less, the improvement in city driving efficiency makes sense, but I don’t understand the small drop in highway efficiency.

As far as we know, the MY SR is using the same wheels, and there are no changes that affect the drag. My only guess is that they are being conservative with the new 4680 and the BMS is using more energy to keep the cells at an ideal temperature range. If that’s the case, the range can improve with an OTA after some validation of the 4680 cells.

Thanks for the info, was not aware of Tesla discouraging news coverage, kind of a shame I think. I know I'll be sharing a few of these vids, that's for sure! The drone show before Elon's presentation was awesome, especially the CT with the fire (?) surrounding it.

It's not a "shame".

Tesla/Elon Musk are masters at building brand image. Some of that involves what it doesn't involve. Human brains are masters at categorizing, associating like things together, etc. and it does most of that subconsciously, automatically. Sometimes what you are *not* is just as important as what you are. Elon knows what he is doing.

In this case, yes, Tesla is a large for-profit corporation - that cannot be denied. But they have no desire to reinforce that and be associated with every other large corporation out there who have less than stellar reputations on multiple fronts.

Tesla has all the brand awareness they need at this stage of the game. It's definitely *not* a shame that they are protecting their reputation by discouraging traditional media coverage of the same type that any other large corporation would receive. Elon understands what many advertising executives are not willing to disclose to their clients. Namely, that once you have pimped yourself out and joined the status quo, there really is no going back.

Tesla wants news of CyberRodeo to spread organically, it's much more powerful when you hear it from a friend or co-worker.

Last edited: