Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like a pretty high bar for minimum specs.

It seems to me that any battery technology that matches current battery technology while adding the Fire resistance / Safety category stuff you have listed above would pretty much immediately replace the current technology on that dimension alone. I realize that it's not all that visible to most people, most of the time, but it would be the end of the EV car fires and related stories, and be of big value to the overall adoption of battery technology.

As far as I know the biggest hurdles are cost and charge/discharge rate. I don't believe anyone has solved either of those. Secondarily, the problem is solving the problems outside of a lab and getting to mass production scale.

As for fires: I really think the concern is overrated. People are just fine with internal combustion vehicles which -- while not as frequent as seen in film -- have a distressing tendency to combust in unintended ways. In fact, catching fire while parked seems to be a particular problem for at least one manufacturer.

The solution isn't solid state, its education and ending the FUD.

The real benefit of solid state is the implicit double the energy density at the pack level.

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
No need to advertise till there is a credible competition for Tesla. I don’t see that for next 3-5 years. So better to put that $ in better places.
It’s not the EV competition. It’s the ICE competition. ICE owners need a comfortable landing pad when they make the jump. They are used to seeing their car brands in TV and online ads.

It’s not the EV competition. It’s the ICE competition. ICE owners need a comfortable landing pad when they make the jump. They are used to seeing their car brands in TV and online ads.
yeah... some of those people might like to see. It might make a difference to their purchasing decisions.

When Tesla starts seeing a drop in demand then maybe spending money on some sort of hand-holding outreach might be warranted. But it just isn't relevant at this time.

Weekend musings.
I am shocked TSLA has again dropped under $300. Today's share price was fist reached back in September 2014. Just think of the progress Tesla has made since then. It can be argued that TSLA was overvalued back in 2014, but certainly not today.
During this latest downtrend I never considered selling even a single share. Thanks in part to FC et all at TMC.
Thanks to Tesla, my family is driving the best car in the World by far, 2nd to none, which just happens to be the safest, most efficient and most ecologically friendly as well.
Curt, don't mean to single you out, but IMHO if you had your MS, MX or M3, I don't think you would have sold part of your TSLA portfolio. Driving is believing.
Investing in TSLA is the smartest decision I have made in the past 30 years. Trying to time the drops is not my game so will leave that for others. I'm in this for the end game. And the end is near for ICE. Investing in Tesla now is like being in a secret society for the advancement of human life, except humans don't know about it, don't know the real Tesla, just the FUD and misleading headlines. That door is opening soon and when Tesla comes out, it is going to be be one awesome party.

My investment strategy: No debt. (including mortgage), No leverage, Ten years to retirement, All-In TSLA, No Stops. Not an advice.
Safe harbours all.
Cheers.

Toyota and Honda have been big on Fuel Cells.

And of course, Toyota has long wanted to just use NiMH batteries. Its almost as if - Prius people didn't want Toyota to try EVs ;)
Yeah, I'm aware that Toyota is hot on hydrogen. Someone else (sorry, forget who) pointed out that Japan has some nice subsidies there. But I was responding to a post about Toyota's EV plans, which they do (theoretically) have. Premised on a 10-year plan to develop solid state batteries that comes do in 2022 IIRC. That's what I've been responding to.

In terms of a legacy car maker knuckling down and really being serious about EVs -- I think Toyota is capable of doing so. They just lack the will to do so.

I am shocked TSLA has again dropped under $300.

All I have to say about that is that once we rise above $300, the first person to say that we'll never see $300 again--again--is either getting a permaban from Lord Venitari or else I'm taking a nice relaxing road trip in which I hunt them down.

Last time I looked, there were 10million shares shorted, these will need to be covered, so perhaps the SP will recover a bit from that

Got it! Here, everything is attributable to “da shortz”.

Elsewhere, some may be trying to understand how to “play” (aka trade) the situation.

<<The depositary of the offer has advised that, as of 5:00 p.m., Eastern time, on March 27, 2019, a total of approximately 5,964,871 shares of Maxwell common stock had been validly tendered and not validly withdrawn in the offer. >>

However:

<<, concurrently with the execution of the merger agreement, on February 3, 2019, (i) Maxwell board members Richard Bergman, Steven Bilodeau, Jörg Buchheim, Franz Fink, Burkhard Göschel, Ilya Golubovich, John Mutch and I2BF Energy Limited and (ii) Maxwell officers Franz Fink, David Lyle and Emily Lough ((i)-(ii) collectively the “supporting stockholders”) entered into a tender and support agreements with Tesla and the Offeror (the “support agreement”). Subject to the terms and conditions of the support agreement, the supporting stockholders agreed, among other things, to: • cause all of such supporting stockholder’s Maxwell shares to be validly and irrevocably tendered into the offer as promptly as practicable, but in no event later than five (5) business days after the commencement (within the meaning of Rule 14d-2 under the Exchange Act) of the offer, or, where permissible, waived by the Offeror, assuming that all Maxwell shares to be tendered by the supporting stockholders are in fact validly tendered and not validly withdrawn in the offer; …

The shares of Maxwell common stock subject to the support agreement represent approximately 7.65% of the shares of Maxwell common stock outstanding as of February 3, 2019.

As of February 11, 2019, the directors and executive officers of Maxwell and their affiliates beneficially owned approximately 3,897,048 Maxwell shares, representing approximately 8.41% of the aggregate voting power of the Maxwell shares outstanding as of February 11, 2019.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I won't feed the FUD machine with specifics and did not read the piece but there is some validity here in that some critical and enhanced data can be accessed easier than that of ICE cars. This is a privacy concern at many levels and more serious than the common phone data shared in many vehicles. Tesla would likely never allow an owner to clear this data and third parties now have access to this where it is difficult to obtain from other vehicles. I have seen this type of data and I would not want it to be easily accessed by others. I would expect this to be a growing concern with other vehicles in the future.

From what I can see, it’s the same data typically stored in other vehicles(I’ve seen phone book entries and such left over in rental cars before), plus recent vehicle logs.

Of course, this was broadly known years ago, not sure why they’re only reporting on it now.