Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is Elon tweeting about lame ducks? Stepping down? And two ducks? CEO + COO? His tweets used to be bullish af but now they scare me

View attachment 391803

Most likely posting nonsense and laughing to himself that people at the SEC will have to spend their friday night deciding if duck posts on Twitter are "material tweets".

Just curious on how many more decades before we consider this “competition is going to kill Tesla” narrative as “crying wolf”? We are already 1 and a half in. Do we need to give this at least 3 before discounting it?

Toyota is still pushing those fuel cells for some reason.
Next 5 (years) will be critical for German OEMs.

Toyotas and Hondas apparently aren't worried. They know Tesla is production constrained.

Last edited:
Sure would've been nice to have a 75 kWh power backup. But I think the biggest issue for not allowing this is the free supercharging. I know it sounds crazy but you just know there will be people that would charge up their car for free and then backload their house to save money.

Seems to me the issue is that an automobile aut to be mobile. You’d have a blackout house again while you drive to the superteat. Does not compute. TE backup products will be a much better fit (need to scale cell prod blah blah).

edit: Or this guy’s products. The PowerSafe is made from repurposed Model S modules.

Last edited:
Easy to say. Now, how do you implement. The decryption key (or a key to decrypt the key ;)) has to be stored somewhere or entered by the user. Also note that encryption is fast on your computer -- thanks to custom support in hardware. The iPhone has similar. Is this the case for the hardware used in a Tesla? Other vehicles? How is key management handled? Key exchanges? Authentication?

In the case at hand, how is encryption supposed to solve the problem? For mobile data the general idea is to encrypt with a key, and then encrypt the key with a secret (say, a password). "Wiping" the device is achieved by erasing the encrypted key -- very fast. This can work (to a point) even if it is not an encrypted key but the encryption key itself.

I'm not suggesting it isn't solvable or that it shouldn't be solved -- but it isn't as easy as saying "just encrypt it."

Is there any doubt that a car with a computer that can run complex nurel nets couldn't un encrypt the needed data?

Apple encrypts their iphones... Your key should be on your cell phone and encrypted there... Your encrypted phone data should be backed up to the cloud...

If you can get into your phone you can get into your car data... If you lose your phone you can get a new one and restore your data...

It would be very difficult then for a 3rd party to access your private data from off a wrecked Tesla.

All this and you only joined TMC less than a year ago?

Yes about 11 months ago, how is that relevant, I'm not commenting on con
Fearmongering = *yawn*

FYI, not a soul I know has any such beliefs nor thought processes.

No. I'm not but I have added you to my ignore list based on feedback from a mod.
Yeah, kinda is. If it had been a no compromise EV, priced competitively to a comparable ICE, they’d still be making them and selling them like hotcakes and making good profit margins. But...not so much.

I never said an
Yeah, kinda is. If it had been a no compromise EV, priced competitively to a comparable ICE, they’d still be making them and selling them like hotcakes and making good profit margins. But...not so much.

"Not relevant" meant not relevant to my point. Prototypes are not Tesla Killers no EV has this nonsense blog status title. I was only making a point that companies have EV development despite despite the fact they ever execute on it or not. I get the impression we are in agreement on basic principals almost at a comical level.

Still waiting for my LR RWD black model 3 with AP here on the gulf coast. Delivery adviser has been very good. Think he's been working 7 days a week, judging by the frequency of his email replies.

My vehicle was in Phoenix, AZ on Thursday and is scheduled to arrive in Houston today. Interested to see how long it takes for the car to be delivered to me at this point. I'm too far from Houston to pick it up myself, so it will be a direct delivery. From order --> delivery will be more than a month.

In recent history, when Elon has randomly tweeted about animals (lemur, hedgehog), it's been a prelude to new product/variant announcements.

Lemur, hedgehog, elephants.

Now he has tweeted:
  • a duck emoji,
  • GIF of a pair of Western Grebe performing a mating dance (deleted),
  • a song about a gorilla, published by "Emo G" (pun probably intended),
  • Elon declared that the "lame duck" emoji won.
Guesses:
  • Elon Tusk is just fooling around with us again (I still haven't completely forgiven him for not announcing the "tusk charger"),
  • Tesla is going to introduce ''LAME": Ludicrous Advanced Mega Edition?
One thing is certain: the SEC will consider the second, deleted tweet mate-aerial information.

Yes about 11 months ago, how is that relevant, I'm not commenting on con

For someone who claims to be as engaged with the EV community as you are and for as long as you have, it’s just surprising that you wouldn’t have been on here long ago asking questions about the EV company that is changing the market the most....and by a very large margin. That’s all.

I find almost 7k of overproduction of S/X hard to believe, that is 25% of a quarter's output.

Seems totally unrealistic to me too:
  • S/X is still build to order to a large degree, so how would Tesla end up with 7k extra units?
  • 7,000 units would also tie up about $700m of (much needed) working capital.
  • There's no ships underway AFAIK, and new S/X orders have May and later delivery times. I.e. most S/X production spoken for.
And he's one of the more bullish analysts.

Last edited:
For someone who claims to be as engaged with the EV community as you are and for as long as you have, it’s just surprising that you wouldn’t have been on here long ago asking questions about the EV company that is changing the market the most....and by a very large margin. That’s all.
If I'm not mistaken, this is the same EVDRIVER on MNL for last 9 years ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum - Login

Is there any doubt that a car with a computer that can run complex nurel nets couldn't un encrypt the needed data?

Apple encrypts their iphones... Your key should be on your cell phone and encrypted there... Your encrypted phone data should be backed up to the cloud...

If you can get into your phone you can get into your car data... If you lose your phone you can get a new one and restore your data...

It would be very difficult then for a 3rd party to access your private data from off a wrecked Tesla.

Can you define very difficult and which private data. The average user can't easily access the data but there are people that can access all the cars data, video, phone records, every item a dealer can get an even more. That info can be accessed remotely as long as the 12V system is up and running and the supporting devices work. However on an ICE it is not that easy to get deep data as it resides in the ABS computer and other areas and there is no general bus to access it. Toyota guards this data vigorously. In fact access to Tesla data is going on all the time in the salvage business. This is a major privacy concern when you have not cleared personal data but a more important one when there is an accident and litigation. On an ICE this extraction would require a subpoena. However on a Tesla with the car on it can be accessed very easily. As far as I know Tesla will not release this yet they also use it for their own benefit to clear themselves, I am not clear if they need an owner permission to do this.