Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was always someone (or several people) along the Corporate Governance approval chain that needed more information, more information, more information before passing it along to the next person (or committee) on the approval chain. And many times they would refuse to approve something because it was too risky (not willing to stake their career on the proposal).

I have so many personal examples but I want to share one of my favorites from a very good friend.
My friend worked at a beverage start up. It was small compared to Coke and Pepsi but they did have $200m in sales and were profitable.

They needed to secure more raw materials from suppliers in Asia. This ingredient was in short supply. When the head of sourcing was at a supplier in the Philippines, that supplier told him he had committed his entire production to one of the cola companies (I won't mention which one). But the supplier stated that he was frustrated because part of the deal was that this cola company was going to give him $2m for a new line. But the approval of the $2m had been delayed. I imagine that at this cola company, the approval process takes time as someone has to prepare a capital expenditure request (with a fancy PowerPoint presentation) then it needs to go to a committee that only meets once a month, etc.

The head of sourcing at this small start up asked the supplier, "if I get you the $2m this week, will you give us your production"?
The supplier said yes. The Sourcing Head called his CFO with the details and they had the money wired the next day based on a one page agreement.

I sense in many ways, Tesla works much differently than Ford, GM, VW, etc.

The allowed ownership hasn’t changed in past 20 years (may be got a bit more liberal). So, that’s not my question.

Is there any link to show that ownership % was indeed a sticking point ? If it’s your guess/speculation, just say so.

All we see is tax on full car imports and China as a source.
Yes I have seen this stated as an objec tion in various sources about a year ago. Alongside the haggling over import duties. Both fitted my own knowledge and were plausible. I have seen no further indications that either has been solved. There was also the normal coat trailing at state level as well as at federal level. I've not seen any evidence since to suggest the situation has changed (have you ?). And the law and the granted permits in the permit-raj haven't changed either in the last year.

(Mind you the FDI issues keep coming up in the defence sector and current performance of Russuan kit appears to be leading to cancellation of I dian orders for Russian stuff, so I think some reappraisal will need to go on more generally and tesla may also benefit but that is my own opinion)

I have so many personal examples but I want to share one of my favorites from a very good friend.
My friend worked at a beverage start up. It was small compared to Coke and Pepsi but they did have $200m in sales and were profitable.

They needed to secure more raw materials from suppliers in Asia. This ingredient was in short supply. When the head of sourcing was at a supplier in the Philippines, that supplier told him he had committed his entire production to one of the cola companies (I won't mention which one). But the supplier stated that he was frustrated because part of the deal was that this cola company was going to give him $2m for a new line. But the approval of the $2m had been delayed. I imagine that at this cola company, the approval process takes time as someone has to prepare a capital expenditure request (with a fancy PowerPoint presentation) then it needs to go to a committee that only meets once a month, etc.

The head of sourcing at this small start up asked the supplier, "if I get you the $2m this week, will you give us your production"?
The supplier said yes. The Sourcing Head called his CFO with the details and they had the money wired the next day based on a one page agreement.

I sense in many ways, Tesla works much differently than Ford, GM, VW, etc.

Very good anecdote, I have heard some insane horror stories from Volvo Cars even quite recently regarding chip purchasing. As chips that are urgently needed are based on spot prices and changes continuously, any changes in the set price has to be approved up the chain as any change in cost Times a million chips can be very significant. This caused the purchasers to need approvals, when the approval was finally gotten the spot price had yet again changed needing a next approval or with these times, the product was simply not available anymore.

Something very simple, that an overridden process and any decently smart person would throw away at such a time was not done. As heads could be chopped if someone did something wrong, the process was not changed or not changed significantly enough causing headaches and more costs months and months down the line for the production line. Same thing was surely true for any other auto company or other industries.

Anyone here watch the NYT documentary on "Elon Musk's Crash Course" about the evils of AP/FSD and how it is murdering people all over? No facts, just opinions on a single crash. There should be a warning message every 30 seconds saying that this crash happened 6 years ago.

Yes I have seen this stated as an objec tion in various sources about a year ago.
I'm asking w.r.t. Tesla, is this a concern ? If so, give us a link.

I've not seen this as a concern mentioned - and just like China, if Tesla was willing to commit to billions in investment I'm sure they would have relaxed the rules around foreign ownership. Imports from China is a political issue - foreign ownership is not that big a deal.

Looks to me Tesla was unwilling to commit to any kind of investment without first getting tax concessions for full car import. That was the sticky issue. What happens if they reduce customs and Tesla doesn't invest (because they don't see the volume) and then Hyundai and others start importing EVs instead of building the cars locally ?

ps : I've spent a lot of time around these issues and know the pros/cons of this policy from Indian perspective. Question is will 100% foreign ownership perpetuate neo-colonialism etc.

Last edited:
Anyone here watch the NYT documentary on "Elon Musk's Crash Course" about the evils of AP/FSD and how it is murdering people all over? No facts, just opinions on a single crash. There should be a warning message every 30 seconds saying that this crash happened 6 years ago.

But if they had a warning message will make the piece completely ineffective at what is trying to do. Why would they do that?

/s

Haven't watched it, probably won't. But it does REALLY bother me that they are comparing AP1 and deaths seen there (and IIRC all of them were from people doing stupid stuff and not watching the car like they should have).

Current FSD is light years better.

There is a huge gap between elon doing anything he likes, and legacy-auto style corporate governance, slowing down decision making and wasting everyone's time.

I'd be happy for someone on tesla's board, or in their legal department to be auto-copied in on elons tweets and delay them by 10 minutes in case he is about to say something he regrets. Its a pretty easy job, you basically approve EVERYTHING except the really political fight-starting and anything that associates him with a political extremist. Memes are fine, Jokes are fine, starting fights with senators or presidents is not fine.

None of us want people over-ruling elons decisions on new products, factories and design decisions. But some oversight of what he tweets from someone who is just *not elon* would help.

TBH everyone should have a friend approve their tweets. Or better off, nobody should use twitter! its a dumpster fire.

Also I'd be in favor of forcing the guy to take some holiday time once a year. Overwork makes people do crazy things.

The surveillance system on our Tesla is so cool. When sentry mode is turned on it is now possible to access the front, rear and side cameras and see events 360 degrees around the car from our smart phones on any of our Teslas. I was thinking how this prevents people doing felony damage to the car as I have heard of criminals setting a car on fire and the news assuming it was a battery. This is evolving quickly and with FSD and robotaxis on the horizon it makes me more comfortable making income in this new use of our Teslas.
The Police use body cams for evidence. Teslas are now personnel police and security. I can only speculate on more of what Elon has in development now but an Optimus that can charge and clean the cars between clients would be useful.
Arc did a recent video on robotaxis and the enormous revenue it can generate. Thankfully no analysis even considers FSD possible just like battery powered cars?
As far as the litigation assets I would hope Tesla hires some good detectives who can follow up and connect the dots of the real instigators of the criminal acts so as to find the deeper pockets to sue. I recall when they set up Reno GF there was an employee who was allegedly working with a news person(Lopez I think it was) who attempted (allegedly) helping POIs who benefit from shorting the stock.
This stuff is so crazy I couldn't make it up.

Wow Larry Williams must be some sort of clairvoyant. Published this Jan 2022. Noticed that not only does this chart found our top and now bottom, but it is predicting a bull run all the way till late Aug from here before it crashes again. Again this was published around Jan of 2022 without knowing about stock split and AI day!!!

View attachment 806919

In ready for that bull run. Bring it on.

Lawyer here. I've been trying to resist chiming in this week, particularly regarding the Elon's political tweets which I don't think were a smart idea but on this lawyer-recruiting tweet I feel compelled to give my input. Most corporations will have a legal department that oversees and assists outside lawyers that the corporation retains for specific legal matters. In my experience it's always the outside lawyers who file and direct the lawsuits. This is in part because corporations will retain different lawyers, even ones who work in litigation, who specialize in different areas, e.g,, employment, intellectual property, mass torts, etc. And then you can have different lawyers who specialize in different phases of trial--pretrial, trial, appeals before state courts vs federal vs the US Supreme Court. It's all highly specialized at the big league level in which Tesla plays. Hiring in-house lawyers or retaining outside counsel is typically the job of the general counsel, the corporation's head lawyer, because it's he or she who is knowledgeable about the players in the legal field. It bothers me that Elon would resort to Twitter to recruit lawyers. I don't understand it honestly. He clearly is frustrated for some reason with Perkins and Cooley, two powerhouse law firms, but there are plenty of other major league legal players to choose from.

One final rant, if you want to call it that. It bothers me that people on here are so dismissive of those who express concern or negative sentiments about Tesla or Elon, especially by those who are clearly long-time Tesla supporters. Criticize or challenge other people's reasoning by all means but comments like "sell the stock if you don't like it" or "go buy another car" do not advance any debate.
The debate is NEVER advanced. Don’t you get that? We’ve been debating Elon’s tweets and behaviors for YEARS. It’s the same tired argument, every single time. We all know (or should know) that he’s going to do Elon and nothing any of us say or do will change it. Either come to terms with it or get out.

The way to get *advanced* is to not complain about everything that upsets you, but rather ACT constructively about events and consciously put yourself into a life where you aren’t bothered by every little thing that goes on around you.

When I don’t like something going on in my life, I change it. I don’t complain about it. I remove it, or myself, or make a new choice, or change myself and how I view it, etc…

Despite not agreeing with those who’ve stomped off in dramatic fashion and exited their positions because of the recent tweets and settlement, they at least get props for removing themselves from the situation that makes them unhappy and thus ‘advancing’ themselves toward inner peace and happiness.

I also put forth, yet again, that the real reason people are so upset is because MONEY. They should reflect on how they view money, the importance they place on it and consider recalibrating that so that it doesn’t hold so much sway over their mental and emotional state.

In terms of the lawyer stuff, Elon was clear what his issue was - corruption in the ranks. So, he’s looking for an incorruptible team of lawyers to take the bad actors behind the woodshed, as it were, and learn them a thing or two about picking on him and his companies.

As is the policy at his companies, you don’t have to be a university/college graduate, you just need to be an exceptional human being.

Do you understand now?

Man you read my mind! The settlement could very well have been about the hours lost with the sexual allegation just a weapon in their holster. The $250k settlement seems much more like it's for potential lost wages than sexual harassment. Regardless I would be surprised if we ever see the details of it, but this seems like a reasonable assumption to me.
I actually think we’ll find out, just a matter of time.

Last edited:
Great synopsis of it on Twitter by @donsisson... MikeC linked to it a couple pages back.

Reactions: AZRI11 and madodel
Thank you for your insight.

I took it slightly different. Elon "recruiting" lawyers via twitter isn't really going to happen. Instead, I think it was a thinly-veiled threat to anyone that has plans to smear him, Telsa, SpaceX, etc. that the gloves are coming off. The gauntlet has been thrown down.

Sure, he may get a few great applicants from the tweet, but I would bet he gets a lot more "junkyard bulldog" firms hitting him up offering to be put on retainer.

EDIT - and anyone considering suing him is going to remember that tweet - don't F with Elon unless you can really bring the goods to win.
I disagree. I believe he’s very much intending to put together a team of lawyers. He’s mad and he’s focused on the/a current problem. I’ve seen him like that before and I understand the personality.

We are more fortunate than most people realize that Elon is a good person by nature.

I disagree. I believe he’s very much intending to put together a team of lawyers. He’s mad and he’s focused on the/a current problem. I’ve seen him like that before and I understand the personality.

We are more fortunate than most people realize that Elon is a good person by nature.

Could be. Time will bear out the answer I guess.

Last edited:
There is a huge gap between elon doing anything he likes, and legacy-auto style corporate governance, slowing down decision making and wasting everyone's time.

I'd be happy for someone on tesla's board, or in their legal department to be auto-copied in on elons tweets and delay them by 10 minutes in case he is about to say something he regrets. Its a pretty easy job, you basically approve EVERYTHING except the really political fight-starting and anything that associates him with a political extremist. Memes are fine, Jokes are fine, starting fights with senators or presidents is not fine.

None of us want people over-ruling elons decisions on new products, factories and design decisions. But some oversight of what he tweets from someone who is just *not elon* would help.

TBH everyone should have a friend approve their tweets. Or better off, nobody should use twitter! its a dumpster fire.

Also I'd be in favor of forcing the guy to take some holiday time once a year. Overwork makes people do crazy things.
And the disagree because: nanny

Grown adults should be responsible for their own actions; always. Mistakes are part of life and growing. They serve a purpose.

I’m for adults, adulting. Don’t care who they are. Put your big boy pants on and deal.

TSLA won't stay at $664/Share but if it did:

P/E ratio would be 50 at year end and 30 in Dec 2023. This stock will not stay suppressed for long. Patience everyone.

1653154943195.png

EDIT: My $22 EPS for 2023 is on the low side compared to some of the reliable forecasters that we know.

Last edited:
I'm asking w.r.t. Tesla, is this a concern ? If so, give us a link.

I've not seen this as a concern mentioned - and just like China, if Tesla was willing to commit to billions in investment I'm sure they would have relaxed the rules around foreign ownership. Imports from China is a political issue - foreign ownership is not that big a deal.

Looks to me Tesla was unwilling to commit to any kind of investment without first getting tax concessions for full car import. That was the sticky issue. What happens if they reduce customs and Tesla doesn't invest (because they don't see the volume) and then Hyundai and others start importing EVs instead of building the cars locally ?

ps : I've spent a lot of time around these issues and know the pros/cons of this policy from Indian perspective. Question is will 100% foreign ownership perpetuate neo-colonialism etc.
Yes, I too can see both sides of the neo-colonial coin. And the other sides as well.

I have very poor Internet connectivity where I am with only a few hours online each day. So even if I were inclined to go hunting for links from a year ago regarding rumours of what should be confidential negotiations ( and I'm not inclined) it is practically impossible for me to do right now.

So... let's turn this around. If you have new and different information regarding these honfidentiak Indian discussions then please post the information and the proof, and bring us all up to date.

I'd love to see tesla India happen at the right time and on terms tesla is happy with, so info from you regarding progress is nist wekcomem .

Sorry am on a phone with cra9 connection, scouse spellings.

Lawyer here. I've been trying to resist chiming in this week, particularly regarding the Elon's political tweets which I don't think were a smart idea but on this lawyer-recruiting tweet I feel compelled to give my input. Most corporations will have a legal department that oversees and assists outside lawyers that the corporation retains for specific legal matters. In my experience it's always the outside lawyers who file and direct the lawsuits. This is in part because corporations will retain different lawyers, even ones who work in litigation, who specialize in different areas, e.g,, employment, intellectual property, mass torts, etc. And then you can have different lawyers who specialize in different phases of trial--pretrial, trial, appeals before state courts vs federal vs the US Supreme Court. It's all highly specialized at the big league level in which Tesla plays. Hiring in-house lawyers or retaining outside counsel is typically the job of the general counsel, the corporation's head lawyer, because it's he or she who is knowledgeable about the players in the legal field. It bothers me that Elon would resort to Twitter to recruit lawyers. I don't understand it honestly. He clearly is frustrated for some reason with Perkins and Cooley, two powerhouse law firms, but there are plenty of other major league legal players to choose from.

One final rant, if you want to call it that. It bothers me that people on here are so dismissive of those who express concern or negative sentiments about Tesla or Elon, especially by those who are clearly long-time Tesla supporters. Criticize or challenge other people's reasoning by all means but comments like "sell the stock if you don't like it" or "go buy another car" do not advance any debate.
I agree with your “final rant”, but not the rest of it.
Musk does not subscribe to any of the tried-and-true patterns that most people see as inviolable.
This is precisely why he is challenging the tried-and-true information model we are now living in. It is entirely based on advertising, advertising is disinformation, media editorializes in support of their advertisers with corresponding disinformation, the whole model has to be scrapped.
The legal profession is an honourable one, but cannot escape such overwhelming influences that have become tolerated in law. This is why Musk is going to “first principles” in his attempt to bring proper free speech back to our culture.
He will get nowhere by following existing structures of behavior.
He has to examine and assess the character and performances, outside-the-box, of the people he wants to have working for him.