Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA won't stay at $664/Share but if it did:

P/E ratio would be 50 at year end and 30 in Dec 2023. This stock will not stay suppressed for long. Patience everyone.

View attachment 807104

EDIT: My $22 EPS for 2023 is on the low side compared to some of the reliable forecasters that we know.
By « It won’t stay at $664 », do you mean it will go to $200 like every bear is screaming on Twitter or you mean it will rebound in a V shape recovery and trade at a higher trading range.

One thing I expected from the stock market was that at some point the SP would become so cheap, big institutional buyers would start lining up to accumulate however there are many posts on Twitter posts about the increasing in short interest on TSLA creating a reverse of a gamma squeeze if there is such a thing.

I am trying to understand the different forces at plat here. I understand the negative macro environment, inflationary numbers, technical recession coming. However, I was expecting TSLA to rebound with the likes of AAPL or GOOG since the company might fits in the category with low/no debt, increasing earnings and growth. Trying to figure out what will be determining factors for the low and highs for the trading range of the next months.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Amazing... CNN just reported on vehicles other than Teslas catching fire spontaneously. Recall by Ford of over 39k Expeditions and Lincoln Navigators because they can catch fire... and even more curious, they don't know why! Would think that would be hard for a recall to repair. Maybe they'll give them new ones... Not.

Of course they had to mention electric vehicles catching fire in their report. Can't ever miss a chance to diss Tesla.

The latest release looks a lot better and I can see why Elon is saying they are close to a much wider release.
Plus we’re only publicly seeing the latest Beta version.

V11 is supposedly a monumental milestone for FSD development and it’s probably being validation tested right now in Alpha mode within Tesla and probably the whole leadership team has been personally testing V11 for many weeks.

Q2 EPS of $8.66 based on how many cars delivered?

The $8.66 is TTM (Trailing Twelve Months) and it is comprised as follows:

Q3 2021 $1.44
Q4 2021 $2.05
Q1 2022 $2.86
Q2 2022 $2.31

Q2 2022 deliveries of 284k vs Q1 of 310k.
My Q2 2022 number is really a placeholder as I have not spent any considerable time on it yet.

Perhaps it was a bit hyperbolized. The car drives like new now. But we just depleted our emergency fund for some other issues and to sell stock to pay for these repairs is a real setback. Talking to the lady who was so negative about the Model X was also a downer.
We have never driven high end cars before. Our last car was a Hyundai Santa Fe. Never had these kind of costs with it. I just wish I new before so I could prepare for it. Now I know that I should build a reserve for when it happens again in 105,000 miles
I was in a predicament. I just did not want to sell TSLA for the repairs on my car with the stock price the way it is. Thankfully, I could scrape just enough together to pay for the repairs without selling TSLA. It does mean that we have to eat pasta, rice and beans for the coming weeks - but so be it. Relieved how It turned out. Hope stock price recovers soon.

Super weird. While I am not an automotive engineer, it looks like the battery is nowhere near where the fire is coming from.

Correct. The battery pack is designed to vent sideways in the event of a battery fire. Eventually the entire car will be engulfed in flames, but the photo included in the article makes clear the fire started in the rear passenger area, not the battery pack. This is evidenced by the lack of scorching around the bottom of the front passenger door and the fact that the fire department said the fire was quickly extinguished. Battery fires create a thermal runaway that consumes the entire pack, they take hours to fully extinguish and the scorching would have surrounded the entire pack (including the area around the bottom of the passenger door) due to the intense heat of a battery fire and the fact that the pack is vented towards the lower kick panels all around the sides of the pack.

Also, note that the windows are in the vent position and the car is parked in an area devoid of any other cars or people and I think you would find out of view of any security cameras. I would suggest it made a prime target for a $TSLAQ type person to insert a makeshift incendiary device through the open window into the back seat for negative media publicity.

In summary, this is not a battery fire and was likely arson if the car had not been owner-modified in the area of the penthouse under the rear seat.

Weekend off topic but heartening:
Illia Ponomarenko

Russia has completely failed to jam the Starlink connection used by the Azovstal garrison. They had stable internet access until the final hours of their presence at the plant. Russia’s super expensive radio-electric warfare tools couldn’t do anything about it. Just a fact.

10:59 AM · May 21, 2022 from Ukraine·Twitter for iPhone

Retweets

Quote Tweets

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko

Looks to me like Tesla is making sure it has options for the next steps so as not to be boxed into a corner. That's good. My personal opinion is that Brazil is the most obvious next move, and I expect another at about the same time but I don't know whether India will give in in time. If not then Indonesia is an interesting play and you can see why the Indonesians are trying to climb the value chain ladder using their mining reserves as their leverage (and that equatorial location for SpaceX).

It is interesting to watch, I'm not sure how it will play out.
There are large pros in favor of India, Indonesia and Brazil. There are significants cons for each also. Given Tesla growth plans all three need sufficient direct investment and local political support to make them sound choices. Right now Indonesia has a more convincing story for Tesla and SpaceX. Brazil has less strong top government support for the Tesla side, but very strong support for the SpaceX investments, but the total market opportunity is very large. India has huge potential for vehicles, so long as a new smaller cheaper vehicle is involved. They seriously want to tell a story of Indian domestic sourcing and partnerships.

One way or another all three should happen within the next year of two. Personally I'm prepared to be surprised about the solutions Tesla and SpaceX invent for each of these major countries.

By « It won’t stay at $664 », do you mean it will go to $200 like every bear is screaming on Twitter or you mean it will rebound in a V shape recovery and trade at a higher trading range.

One thing I expected from the stock market was that at some point the SP would become so cheap, big institutional buyers would start lining up to accumulate however there are many posts on Twitter posts about the increasing in short interest on TSLA creating a reverse of a gamma squeeze if there is such a thing.

I am trying to understand the different forces at plat here. I understand the negative macro environment, inflationary numbers, technical recession coming. However, I was expecting TSLA to rebound with the likes of AAPL or GOOG since the company might fits in the category with low/no debt, increasing earnings and growth. Trying to figure out what will be determining factors for the low and highs for the trading range of the next months.

As a teenager entering college, I was surprised at the time that the Economics courses were in the Liberal Arts school and not in the Business school.
I eventually came to understand that Economics was a social science that looked at expected behaviors to certain circumstances.
I have always favored logic and math so I invest in some way on fundamentals. I believe that in the long term, fundamentals (e.g. earnings, growth, cash flow) will drive the stock price but in the short term, the stock market moves on behaviors. If short term trading was taught in a traditional college, it would likely be a Liberal Arts class. I guess technical trading tries to capture this behavior trading.

Having said all this, I think it is very possible that Tesla trades sideways through Q2 due to Shanghai limited production, fed hikes, etc.
Except for a split announcement coming earlier, I would expect to see the move up start aggressively in mid-Q3 when Shanghai, Berlin and Austin deliveries start to change trading behaviors.
Not advice of course.

Interesting discussion of the current economic situation between Cathie Wood of Ark Invest and Nancy Lazar of Piper Sandler.

Main points:

-sharp economic slowdown underway, especially in Europe
-Inflation will fall fast and hard
-Huge overbuild of inventories

-> expect the fed to soften stance and slow tightening to protect the economy

-> expect this to be “extremely positive” for the equity markets

No specific discussion of Tesla here

Key bits about inflation at 30-35 minutes

Damn. Hate to say it but after reading Elon's latest tweets I'm getting worried. Either someone is posting in his name, he's got something going on we don't know about, or he's losing it.

Please somebody give a better alternative to the above, but based on what I'm seeing I am really getting concerned...

Not /s

I disagree. I believe he’s very much intending to put together a team of lawyers. He’s mad and he’s focused on the/a current problem. I’ve seen him like that before and I understand the personality.

We are more fortunate than most people realize that Elon is a good person by nature.
Yup. Otherwise instead of a Tony Stark we would have a rampaging Lex Luthor.

Anyone here watch the NYT documentary on "Elon Musk's Crash Course" about the evils of AP/FSD and how it is murdering people all over? No facts, just opinions on a single crash. There should be a warning message every 30 seconds saying that this crash happened 6 years ago.
Watched it. Agree too much focus on the Josh Brown crash 6 years ago.

Many former regulators stating there is always a risk with innovation and new technology, making it clear they don't want to stop it, just trying to make the transition as safe as possible.

One unhappy customer that paid for FSD and still does not have it. Elon repeatedly saying it is 2 years away.

They question Tesla's safety statistics without really explaining why they are incorrect.

Overall I would say slanted against Tesla with reasonably intelligent arguments from both sides.

For most people I think they will finish with the impression "wow Tesla is really pushing the envelope" or "OMG Tesla is really pushing the envelope"