Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starlink Maritime (and Aviation) are going to be game-changers for SpaceX, and eventually Tesla.

The $5k/mo may seem steep, but it’s nothing compared to the current competition. Those are priced per GB; you can get about 25 GB/mo for the same $5k if you sign a one-year plan (SL is month-to-month). A 100 GB plan is more like $12k. SL is unlimited.

The terminals, which are $10k for two from SL compare to about $25k each for legacy systems.

And the existing services are delivered by a few geosynchronous satellites, with far higher latency and less bandwidth than the SL constellation that’s in low earth orbit. About the only tech advantage the legacy stuff has is with current Southern Hemisphere coverage, which SL will cover within a year.

Luxury yachts, of course, will go the SL route (except, I’m sure, Mr. Bezos’ new one). But commercial shipping is the important thing here. Operators want constant connection to their ships, and of course the crew wants internet. This will save them something like 70% on their usual usage.

Eventually, I believe they’ll be able to engineer a terminal integrated into Teslas, though it is pretty complicated for two-way comms. Then premium connectivity will go to SL instead of cell providers. Synergy or something.

Source: a couple decades of working on back end satellite systems, specifically including billing for mobility products for a major sat services provider. I know how bad the systems are because I wrote some of them…
Do you know what prices will be for privat persons? (1 user on 1 adress)

Interesting...thank you. So basically what the US should be doing, but won't, because we are greedy and stuck in the past. Until one day all those greedy old people are dead and our generation and after will be dealing with the fact that this country is slave once again to the energy situation.

OH wait! We have a trick up our sleeve - Tesla will get into mining one day and be savoir for this country.

I'm 38 and feel like I'm stuck in between two worlds for the rest of my life - the oil world and the renewable one. For my generation, this is our legacy - to buy and push these products forward so that our children and grandchildren will be living in a cleaner world.

As our flame dims, it will burn out the brightest.
Our petro chemical complex is actually a huge well developed strength. We banned exports for years but that didn't help develop internal capabilities. Really it was the guys at the margins that stirred things up so much that the USA was awash in oil. That brought in a huge revival of new processing, all sorts of LNG related chemical industrial capacity was added, power plants shifted from coal to LNG, etc etc. On the oil side we've been gradually ramping up efficiency and the fleet is slowly but surely getting more efficient and that has pretty much capped the interest of the refineries to expand. What's the point of investing billions in a project that is going to chase bottom dollar (this Ukraine war adventure non withstanding the trend was clear). I predict in 2-3 years we'll actually start shedding refining capacity unless the global trade in refined products is supporting continued operations.

Anyway, the USA oil and gas exploration capabilities are a strategic weapon of massive importance. Without this the Russian invasion of Ukraine would likely have succeeded. The irony that Biden has the balls to go toe to toe with Putin resulting in massive oil and gas profits (an industry that hates Biden) is ...almost script writing worthy. Certainly worth a few good books. As it is the USA exports of diesel have soared and supported the EU. Hopefully demand destruction will hit the price of oil a bit and my fuel bill will drop by a thousand a week (we spend about 2k a week now). Further irony such a drop in oil prices will mostly hurt the OPEC+ countries that refused to add capacity resulting in super inflation that killed demand. Big Oil and OPEC...what idiots. But then they have a very weak long term hand...the industry will literally be half of what it was in 20 years.

Yes, "long dead before we break even" is THE most important consideration. NOT.

If I read this one more time I'm going to blow a gasket. Heaven forbid anyone spend a few extra dollars to help ensure a livable planet for generations to come . . . .

Look, I get it: PV, and even the Tesla Solar Roof can be "spendy." Do it anyway: If you're here reading this forum, you likely have the money. Have you ever seen a hearse with a U-Haul trailer in tow? Not me.

Do the right thing: Spend the money; help leave a useable planet for others. If you don't understand the risk we, collectively, pose to our lifeboat in the solar system with unchecked GHG dumping, please review "Positive Feedback Loops" and watch this gif:

(And I'm speaking as someone that dropped nearly $30k to replace two perfectly functional methane furnaces with SEER 24-ish heat pumps, and had the methane/gas company come and remove their damn meter from our house. It's the First Rule of Holes: When you're in one, STOP DIGGING.)

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe

(So please, EVERYONE, stop sending money to your local fossil fuel company, stat.)

Just finished installing 2 heat pumps last week to replace our gas heating system. The only problem will be the 3-4 days of -30 during the winter. Still hesitating to call the company to come remove the gas meters and disassemble the gas furnace which was replaced by the previous owners in 2007.

If QQQ closes over 297 we are officially entering a new bull run by TA stand point. Hope AAPL and TSLA brings us there. This would be a magnificent start of a summer rally.

Do you know what prices will be for privat persons? (1 user on 1 adress)

All 4 versions of SL service have pricing details on the website.

tl;dr

Personal use fixed-location starlink service is limited to a certain # of folks per area, but you can get on the waitlist and costs $110/mo, $599 for HW. Personal can-use-at-any-location starlink service (RV level of service) is $135/mo- plus a single $599 HW charge- and no wait list it ships within a few days.

Business-use fixed-location pricing also came out a while ago ($500/mo and $2500 HW cost). This new offering (called Maritime) appears to be for business-use moving-location pricing ($5000/mo, $10,000 HW cost)

Note the HW for both business offerings is NOT the same as the 2 residential ones... (though it IS identical, physically, for the 2 residential ones- there's a slight SW config difference on the RV version that might throttle your traffic during busy times though)

BTW timely story after we just talked about SL making sense for backhaul for things like towers or providing wifi at supercharger locations but NOT for direct car connection-

Yah the Twitter overhang thing is a BS narrative from Dan, who is just crystal ball spitballing talking points to be as relevant to CNBC as possible.

If Twitter ends up suing for specific performance that would potentially have a continuous, significant, overhang for a good while as it might compel Elon to sell more shares in light of reports of other financing not necessarily being available going forward.

We don't know that will be the final outcome, but it's absolutely a possible one and so long as it's possible it'll be itself an overhang to shares. Note overhang doesn't mean "won't go up" just means "may not go up to the degree it should"

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 8.08.39 AM.png
Idaho and Florida both have panhandles, but someone needs to sit you down and talk about the latter’s climate, Mr. Potatohead.

If I read this one more time I'm going to blow a gasket. Heaven forbid anyone spend a few extra dollars to help ensure a livable planet for generations to come . . . .

Look, I get it: PV, and even the Tesla Solar Roof can be "spendy." Do it anyway: If you're here reading this forum, you likely have the money. Have you ever seen a hearse with a U-Haul trailer in tow? Not me.

Do the right thing: Spend the money; help leave a useable planet for others. If you don't understand the risk we, collectively, pose to our lifeboat in the solar system with unchecked GHG dumping, please review "Positive Feedback Loops" and watch this gif:

(And I'm speaking as someone that dropped nearly $30k to replace two perfectly functional methane furnaces with SEER 24-ish heat pumps, and had the methane/gas company come and remove their damn meter from our house. It's the First Rule of Holes: When you're in one, STOP DIGGING.)

"Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe

(So please, EVERYONE, stop sending money to your local fossil fuel company, stat.)
That's ridiculous unless you are just floating in money..in which case spend away, write us a check and we'll plant some forests for you (seriously) and we'll install some extra low costs ground mounted solar capacity (seriously). The Tesla solar roof product is, at this price point, a failure. It needs to be completely re-engineered and let me tell you I was in the exact same position. I could install a brand new standing seam metal roof for 20k or so or a tesla solar roof for 104. At this point the price point is roughly double that of a great alternative (standing seam metal roof and ground mounted panels). We're going to have to go metal roof and ground mounts, we will have more solar capacity at a lower costs. I really needed a new roof and don't want panels on the roof and there are so so many like us. However, the solar roof product..fail.

Just finished installing 2 heat pumps last week to replace our gas heating system. The only problem will be the 3-4 days of -30 during the winter. Still hesitating to call the company to come remove the gas meters and disassemble the gas furnace which was replaced by the previous owners in 2007.

If QQQ closes over 297 we are officially entering a new bull run by TA stand point. Hope AAPL and TSLA brings us there. This would be a magnificent start of a summer rally.
I would not do that until you have gone through an entire winter. Just perspective from someone that works outside in the weather...always good to have contingencies. I assume the gas furnaces are still ducted? Just have the thermostat for that system set very low, also in the event of power loss the gas furnace is simple to power from even a small generator.

Idaho and Florida both have panhandles, but someone needs to sit you down and talk about the latter’s climate, Mr. Potatohead.
Ha! One might wonder why we would make such a move after a couple decades in Alaska and then another decade in Northern Idaho - and much of that at the end of the grid or off of it @AudubonB - but in a much earlier lifetime I went to boot camp and Navy Nuclear Power School in Florida, and have spent much time here along the way.

That's ridiculous unless you are just floating in money..in which case spend away, write us a check and we'll plant some forests for you (seriously) and we'll install some extra low costs ground mounted solar capacity (seriously). The Tesla solar roof product is, at this price point, a failure. It needs to be completely re-engineered and let me tell you I was in the exact same position. I could install a brand new standing seam metal roof for 20k or so or a tesla solar roof for 104. At this point the price point is roughly double that of a great alternative (standing seam metal roof and ground mounted panels). We're going to have to go metal roof and ground mounts, we will have more solar capacity at a lower costs. I really needed a new roof and don't want panels on the roof and there are so so many like us. However, the solar roof product..fail.

Yes, heaven forbid installation of solar panels on the roof of an abode; you wrote "don't want panels on the roof."

I guess we all have our priorities and, for many of us here at least, leaving a usable planet behind is waaaay up there . . . .

For those that DO care about what is most important, the US Federal Tax Credit drops another 4% again on 31 December. Order your PV system ASAP as I suspect the Senator Joe "Love that Coal and Oil!" Manchin (and the equally guilty 50 Republican Senators) are likely to keep Build Back Better dead forever. Details:

The federal residential solar energy credit is a tax credit that can be claimed on federal income taxes for a percentage of the cost of a solar photovoltaic (PV) system. (Other types of renewable energy are also eligible for similar credits but are beyond the scope of this guidance.)

The system must be placed in service during the tax year and generate electricity for a home located in the United States. There is no bright-line test from the IRS on what constitutes “placed in service,” but the IRS has equated it with completed installation.

In December 2020, Congress passed an extension of the ITC, which provides a 26% tax credit for systems installed in 2020-2022, and 22% for systems installed in 2023. (Systems installed before December 31, 2019 were eligible for a 30% tax credit.) The tax credit expires starting in 2024 unless Congress renews it.

There is no maximum amount that can be claimed.

Source:

(Note that this may have a material impact on Tesla Solar's earnings, especially given the higher cost--and subsequent tax credits--on the Solar Roof.)

Odd premarket volume increase at 8:28 corresponding to stock price drops.
The US Jobs report came out at 8.30am. Maybe someone had some inside info or a hunch. The report came in at +372,000 vs the +268,000 expected, unemployment rate unchanged at 3.6%. Futures reacted by dropping sharply just after this came out and 10yr Treasury bonds spiked to just under 3.1%. I'm assuming this will fuel the hawkishness of the Fed as the jobs market is still healthy and not as close to recession as some thought.

Ha! One might wonder why we would make such a move after a couple decades in Alaska and then another decade in Northern Idaho - and much of that at the end of the grid or off of it @AudubonB - but in a much earlier lifetime I went to boot camp and Navy Nuclear Power School in Florida, and have spent much time here along the way.
Unfortunately, the pic didn’t automatically pop up on my prior post. One has to click on it.

― Anna Lappe

You're more than welcome to convince my wife, but short of you fronting the $130,000 for a roof I don't see it happening. When it was $60k+ after the Federal tax credit it was pricey but justifiable, but over $100k after credit for a roof on a $400k house with a still good roof, it's just not justifiable. Tesla has yet to deliver on any style other than black tiles which might have been incentive enough to do it even though it didn't make financial sense. Maybe instead of playing idiotic Twitter games, someone should pay attention to figuring out the problem with manufacturing/installing the solar tiles, but that's just my opinion. BTW, we've been paying about 50% more for our electric for well over a decade because it is local sourced wind, so I'm aware and doing what we can while we can.

The US Jobs report came out at 8.30am. Maybe someone had some inside info or a hunch. The report came in at +372,000 vs the +268,000 expected, unemployment rate unchanged at 3.6%. Futures reacted by dropping sharply just after this came out and 10yr Treasury bonds spiked to just under 3.1%. I'm assuming this will fuel the hawkishness of the Fed as the jobs market is still healthy and not as close to recession as some thought.

Gotta love wall st……oh my recession is here for sure. Jobs data…….not so fast.

Oh my now Feds are gonna raise rates through the roof! Inflation data……not so fast

Wall st throwing a fuss because the narrative that they want to push, stagflation, isn’t happening

You're more than welcome to convince my wife, but short of you fronting the $130,000 for a roof I don't see it happening. When it was $60k+ after the Federal tax credit it was pricey but justifiable, but over $100k after credit for a roof on a $400k house with a still good roof, it's just not justifiable. Tesla has yet to deliver on any style other than black tiles which might have been incentive enough to do it even though it didn't make financial sense. Maybe instead of playing idiotic Twitter games, someone should pay attention to figuring out the problem with manufacturing/installing the solar tiles, but that's just my opinion. BTW, we've been paying about 50% more for our electric for well over a decade because it is local sourced wind, so I'm aware and doing what we can while we can.
Most all of that is entirely reasonable and other’s judgement of your choices is bs. What isn’t reasonable or fair is turning around and judging him, or assuming he’s not trying to figure out the problem. He’s entitled to ‘me’ time. He’s entitled to outside interests regardless of your personal opinions about them.

More than likely someone has been delegated the task and it’s being worked on. Maybe they can’t figure it out. Maybe there’s some other issue that can only be resolved by giving it time. Maybe it’s not solvable and their headed in a different direction. Maybe resources are limited and being spent in other aspects of the business, because that’s happened before for good reasons.

Oh my now Feds are gonna raise rates through the roof! Inflation data……not so fast

Wall st throwing a fuss because the narrative that they want to push, stagflation, isn’t happening
Right!? Now we’re getting it. Fox in the hen house, all day long, every day.

The moment I started hearing “Where to put your money in a recession” and “recession portfolio building” on CNBC I began to think this is a charade