Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been explained before but I can't remember the answer. How does this work?

Tom owns 100 shares.
Phil (short seller) borrows 100 shares from Tom and sells them to Fred.
Tom is unaware his shares were leant as this was done by his broker.
Fred and Tom now own 100 shares but there are only 100 shares authorized.
Do both Tom and Fred vote their shares? Can't be.
Tom should be aware his shares were lent (and receiving interest on them) and he cannot vote them (since he didn't have them on the date of record). Fred doesn't know/care where his shares came from, only that he has shares which he votes.

Now, if the broker naked shorted the shares Fred bought, that gets interesting...

This has been explained before but I can't remember the answer. How does this work?

Tom owns 100 shares.
Phil (short seller) borrows 100 shares from Tom and sells them to Fred.
Tom is unaware his shares were leant as this was done by his broker.
Fred and Tom now own 100 shares but there are only 100 shares authorized.
Do both Tom and Fred vote their shares? Can't be.

TLDR: the original holder of record is the only one that can vote. Whether that is the very original owner of record, or the one who bought the actual shares upon the closing of a short sale.

But if the result comes out to something I don't agree with, I'm claiming fraud! 🤣

Oh man... just think of @StarFoxisDown!'s anger if TSLA is only at 1500 in 18 months!

(and I'd likely agree)
Given what the value of my TSLA position would be at given a share price of $1500, people outside of TMC would probably think there's something medically wrong with me to be a grouch and yet........I absolutely would be if TSLA was only at $1500 at the end of 2024 🥴

TLDR: the original holder of record is the only one that can vote. Whether that is the very original owner of record, or the one who bought the actual shares upon the closing of a short sale.

But if the result comes out to something I don't agree with, I'm claiming fraud! 🤣

Thanks - I see that margin accounts could lose their voting rights if their shares are lent out.
I wonder if margin holders are informed when shares are lent.

1659453681134.png

The owner of record is usually the brokerage with individuals being the “real and beneficial owner”, unless one gets their shares recorded. In which case, they would likely not be lent out...
Holder of Record

Thanks - I see that margin accounts could lose their voting rights if their shares are lent out.
I wonder if margin holders are informed when shares are lent.

View attachment 835731
Yup can be that way if you're using margin. Each agreement is slightly different between brokers on notification.

(this is also another reason to split via share dividend... it encourages the shares to be returned)

• Informative
Reactions: The Accountant
Elon is correct about the probability of thermal runaway in large pouch cells. I assume he gets that probability based on real world performance of LG Energy cells.

But I'm not sure if we know if this is an inherent flaw in large pouch cells or if it is just due to sloppy manufacturing by LG Energy. LG Energy claims it's the latter.

LG Energy is effectively saying, "We made mistakes in the past but we won't let it happen again. Large pouch cells are safe if manufacturing is done right. Trust us."

As a Chevy Bolt owner who got his pack replaced, I can report that I'm not worried about my new pack. The odds of failure for any one pack are very low. But I'm not going to trust LG Energy ever again.
Seems like an ominous sign for GM, given that they are going "all in" for pouch cells on their Ultium platform. Does anyone know if the old Bolt batteries were pouch or cylindrical?

Here's the resulting show of force. All going to be a nothing burger in the end, but a bunch of saber rattling in the meantime.
My only post on this but anyone thinking China is going to actually invade Taiwan after what just happened with Ukraine/Russia and the worldwide denouncing of Russia from essentially the world economy is living in La La Land.

Seems like an ominous sign for GM, given that they are going "all in" for pouch cells on their Ultium platform. Does anyone know if the old Bolt batteries were pouch or cylindrical?
Pouch cell... very few legacy are using cylindrical. BMW is switching over and I think Daimler has used some cylindrical. Rest are nearly all pouch or prismatic.

In any case, most military analyst agree that China won't have enough amassed for an invasion before 2025 ~26

And that they will have to do something else than amass troops to catch Taiwan by surprise. I've actually seen some war gaming scenarios that might work for China, but some of them assumes that usa will sit back and watch like they did for Ukrain.

I hold a few thousand shares in vanguard. Guess what, they haven’t sent me the ballot for the authorization to increase share count yet. Called them this am and they promised to get back by this evening , after market close to tell me why they haven’t been able to send me the ballot . Reeks mischief , never thought I say this, but Vanguard May be involved heavily with shorters and naked shorters .
Vanguard called back and provided me the control number .
Voted right away .
I take back my accusations on vanguard.
Go longs.