Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question, has there been any communication from Elon/Tesla about a possible $25,000 Tesla model?

I think this issue came up after battery day only because there was a model in the presentation with a cloth draped over it, so the cheaper model became speculation. I do remember Elon saying a few years ago that there would not be a cheaper model to the Model 3 as autonomy would mean the Model 3 would pay for itself. He could have just said that to prevent the Osborne effect

Strategically, it would make sense if Tesla used a smaller model as a robotaxi only, and operate the fleet themselves (or with fleet partners). I dont want Tesla selling small robotaxis to people at $25k-$40k unless they are going to take 30% of the robotaxi receipts a la Apple store
The slidedeck says Robotaxi & Others:

1659965329993.png

Who knows what the "& Others" are. (Though Elon mentioned a van.)

Reactions: Thumper and NicoV
It's just a bailout without being officially labeled as a bailout. Since Ford is not making money on selling the Mustang Mach-e and I would guess that GM is in the same situation they need something to help keep them from failing. Tesla being the most American made cars should be able to navigate the EV bill's requirements easily to take full advantage of the tax credit to continue industry leading margins.

Yes, the bill is a waste of tax payer dollars (and so are PLENTY of other things) but it is unfortunately needed so that Legacy US Auto doesn't fail and can slowly transition to EVs without going out of business or being bought by the Chinese.

Turning a large ship (which is the ICE based automobiles) is hard, yes there will be waste .... but ultimately isn't this bill the death of ICE?
Isn't that the goal to move to renewables?

Tesla is
....the most American made car,
....has supply chain that is most based in US,
..... has the most volume
.... will figure out how to take most advantage of the 7500 credit, even with the limits (hello Canada ;), +Elon sees inflation going down, so prices can go down)

Most Govt programs have associated waste, but I don't think it is as bad?
+Looking at forest not the trees ;)

Last edited:
FactChecking said:

The new EV credits in the US benefit Tesla in all product segments:

• Model S/X pricing improves by $7,500 over Porsche, Lucid & Rivian, which lose the old credit.
  • Current & planned Chinese EVs imported into the US lose $7,500 pricing vs. domestically assembled Teslas.
  • Lower trims of the Model 3 will fit into the $55,000 cap once the inflationary spike recedes.
  • Primary competitors of the Cybertruck (Ford, Rivian) have trims above $80,000 & the Cybertruck much less expensive to produce due to its exoskeleton design & Gigacast underbody.
  • $25,000 Tesla model will benefit most from the $55,000 price cap for compact sedans.
  • The $55,000 & $80,000 EV credit price caps fundamentally benefit the market leading EV maker with the largest scale & the highest efficiency: Tesla.
What is this $25k Tesla model that fake newsed its way into existence?

The Mustang Mach E can only qualify for the tax credit if it's under $55,000, while the Tesla Model Y has to be under $80,000.

Why?

The EPA classifies the Mustang Mach E as a station wagon. All cars that are not an SUV, Truck, or Van get a $55,000 cap.
Ford can probably ask for it to be reclassed for the 2023 model year... Unless there is a technical reason it was classed as such, like because it is smaller?

BREAKING NEWS!

TSLA's slump from Friday's dive continues to affect the stock on Monday. It has taken the SP over ten minutes from the opening bell to break through 900 and this sluggish response to Friday's slide indicates the stock may not be able to achieve 1200 by day's end.

This supports reports from keen and savvy analysts, such as Gordon Johnson, among others, who continue to warn investors about the impending doom of Tesla.

TSLA investors are experiencing doubt and remorse over this tragic outcome, but remain vigilant and hopeful that these analysts may have missed something in their computations.

Still, this disappointing start on Monday may be setting the bar for future moves and all investors are encouraged to place their bets accordingly.

HODL

/S (for anyone who didn't realize it)

Last edited:
I guess Rivian and Lucid figured out a way to get the tax credit for their customers, as they’re up +8% and almost +7%, respectively.
Meanwhile TSLA has already started it's process of being walked down. I doubt we even end up 2X the Nasdaq :rolleyes:

Goes and looks at options and sees once again that the call are outnumbering puts with big call walls at 950 and 1000. Gee......I wonder what's going to happen this week

Ford can probably ask for it to be reclassed for the 2023 model year... Unless there is a technical reason it was classed as such, like because it is smaller?
Can Ford just get a reclassification by just asking? I would think there are solid technical definitions for the classifications. It may be that the Mach E doesn't have enough ground clearance to be classified as an SUV.

Mustang Mach E as a station wagon is just really strange to begin with.