Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1661644990322.png

Indeed, I'm not even sure that's a requirement. I think the legislation as passed says materials sourced, processed, or recycled in America or a country which has a free-trade agreement with America.

Materials CAN NOT come from the wrong places however (which means N.Korea China Iran etc.). I think this needs to be clarified by Dec 31, 2022 by the relevent U.S. Government Agencies. Even then, the recycling clause may be a work-around for certain materials.

Paging @mongo for the details.

Chairs!
Much for the Treasury Secretary (or their assignee(s)) to clarify.
Like:
Do materials need to be post-consumer to be considered recycled ?
Does country of origin need to be tracked through recycling? If so, at what percentage are they no longer deemed 'wrong place sourced'?
What does processed mean?

Or if you prefer reading, the same analysis is here:
Actually, all of this stuff is pretty weak sauce compared to Karen Rei's serious and detailed analysis on Twitter.

Karen's careful reading and quantitative analysis stands in stark contrast to "I know a lot about batteries but haven't really looked at the bill" combined with "I know a lot about finance and sort of looked at the bill but not enough to understand it" combined.

Here's a nice graphic annotated by Karen:

Actually, all of this stuff is pretty weak sauce compared to Karen Rei's serious and detailed analysis on Twitter.

Karen Rei's analysis is quite good, but it doesn't actually cover the Advanced Manufacturing Production credit, which is the subject of the Limiting Factor Video. It's a tax credit of up to $45 per kWh that can go directly to Tesla for their battery manufacturing efforts.

As much as I'd like to take Karen's word as gospel, she still doesn't quite put to rest what constitutes a "foreign entity of concern". She says "My read is...", and goes on to say that anything from China counts. Others take a more narrow view of what constitutes an entity of concern under the new law.

I've given up. We gotta wait to know for sure.

I've been away for work in Japan and just catching up with all the latest news.

As I mentioned back in 2020, all Elon's Co.s products would eventually come together to form the bigger picture.

Now that Elon has confirmed that Starlink V2 would deliver some transmission capacity to Teslas, I think it's just a matter of time before they make a V3 to deliver all data capabilities on Teslas. Maybe when the devices or some limitations say frequencies and hardware that are necessary come, we'd see this happening. If I'm going to make any guess, it's when Teslas move fully to incorporate 5G/high bandwidth-friendly frequencies and antennas.

We don't need full fledge antenna like Dishy McFlatface that's capable of running 300mbps+.... but a miniature version that's enough to deliver say 100mbps and the potential is already incredible.

And I think the reason of moving to a time-limited basic connectivity for Tesla is, other than as the fleet grows, the cost would become prohibitive, that if this is what Elon is planning, Starlink would be able to have a sizeable customer base. And if they ever plan to go public with it, it would sound great for potential investors.

Either way, what I really wanted to say is, to all the investors here who don't agree that Elon should merge most of his entities under Tesla's umbrella, that you are missing on what these whole things would be able to do when they all come together as a giant puzzle.

2025? That would be a win. 2030-35 was the 'stretch' goal before this crisis. That timetable was also subject to German Auto industry lobbying:

So... Result!
It is very cute that these auto executives think there is something they can do to slow this down.

These bans that are coming down are irrelevant, the industry is going to move at whatever pace it can scale. The migration will happen as fast as Tesla is able to scale up plus whatever the rest of the industry can contribute. Subsidies are either going to end up enriching EV buyers or EV makers, or both… they are not going to speed things up.

By 2035, everything which isn’t EV will be gone. Likely sooner than that.

OMG. Please watch this.

If Tesla can get the raw materials from the right places they get a tax credit of $35 per kWh of battery cells produced in the US.

And they get another $10 per kWh for battery pack production. It doesn't sound like there are sourcing requirements for that as long as the pack is assembled here.

Bringing effective cost per kWh down to… ?? $40 - 60/ kWh ?? After the 4680 ramp is done?

Seems almost more important than the rebate/ tax credit. That affects all EVs and all consumers regardless of sale price or income levels.

Bringing effective cost per kWh down to… ?? $40 - 60/ kWh ?? After the 4680 ramp is done?

Seems almost more important than the rebate/ tax credit. That affects all EVs and all consumers regardless of sale price or income levels.
One questions is if Panasonic is willing to pass along any of that savings to Tesla or if they keep their portion all to themselves. Same goes for all the other car makers, will LG/SKi keep the credit or pass it along to GM/Ford/etc. (Obviously Tesla will get the full credit for the 4680 cells/pack they make themselves.)

Karen Rei's analysis is quite good, but it doesn't actually cover the Advanced Manufacturing Production credit, which is the subject of the Limiting Factor Video. It's a tax credit of up to $45 per kWh that can go directly to Tesla for their battery manufacturing efforts.

As much as I'd like to take Karen's word as gospel, she still doesn't quite put to rest what constitutes a "foreign entity of concern". She says "My read is...", and goes on to say that anything from China counts. Others take a more narrow view of what constitutes an entity of concern under the new law.

I've given up. We gotta wait to know for sure.
There are multiple deep dive twitter threads. Not saying she covers everything, but.... Try this one:

I'll agree that we won't really know what the sausage is like until it's done being made, which is why I think this level of analysis is mostly pointless at this time. What I get from Karen's analysis is that there are sufficient huge holes in this bill that probably everybody is going to get full credits.

And my expectation is that those who don't actually qualify will just lie about it. Seriously, how is anybody going to determine after the fact exactly what minerals are in a particular battery pack and how they got there?

One questions is if Panasonic is willing to pass along any of that savings to Tesla or if they keep their portion all to themselves. Same goes for all the other car makers, will LG/SKi keep the credit or pass it along to GM/Ford/etc. (Obviously Tesla will get the full credit for the 4680 cells/pack they make themselves.)

I was thinking mostly of Teslas in house production. I’m sure Panasonic will charge market rates. Tesla might negotiate better rates.

This could potentially bring a lot of battery production into the US. The numbers seem pretty big.

And my expectation is that those who don't actually qualify will just lie about it. Seriously, how is anybody going to determine after the fact exactly what minerals are in a particular battery pack and how they got there?
I've been thinking this as well.

Lets say you need 40% of value to be approved. Does it say anywhere that EVERY single car you sell has to achieve that? Or only the ones sold to someone that uses the tax break? If only half the cars sells to buyers using the tax break then you could potentially only need 20% value. Yes, I know that more than half probably will but trying to keep the math easy.

Reactions: StapleGun
T-5 min to liftoff:

SpaceX on Twitter: "Due to weather, now targeting 11:41 p.m. ET for tonight's launch of Starlink" / Twitter

Starlink 4-23 Mission / SpaceX (Youtube)

EDIT: Today was the 2nd flight for this F-9 Booster (s/n B1069), and marked the highest mass-to-orbit (16.7 tons) ever delivered by a Falcon 9 rocket. Using this extended capability, today SpaceX launched 54 Starlink satellites into LEO, an increase from the usual payload of 52 satellites to orbit per mission.

B1069 was refurbished with new engines after the booster was damaged during recovery on a drone ship on Dec 21, 2021. So it seems SpaceX has found a way to increase performance on these new engines, enabling this higher payload. That 4% increase in payload further implies about a $1.2M reduction in future Starlink launch costs. Winning! :D

"That means efficiency functioning on multiple levels and in multiple dimensions.".
-- S.R. Hadden, from Contact (1997)

Chairs!

Last edited:
By 2035, everything which isn’t EV will be gone. Likely sooner than that.
I agree. I was one of the first here saying that no lack of tax breaks could stop the change to EVs now. Like a couple of years ago. The only thing that could slow it down was/is lack of production.

Now though, I think that if 1euro/kWh electricity sticks around in Europe it will significantly slow down sales of EVs here. Few here have access to free solar power. Lots of people may decide they can keep their aging ICE car for another couple of years. It probably won't make a difference looking a decade ahead but it can certainly put a dent in the s-curve.