Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2. As for charging infrastructure. Even North America, Western Europe and China have gigantic deficiencies in charging infrastructure. Is he wrong about that one?

Hmm. I travel mostly in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, West Virginia, and Virginia. I have a Tesla Wall Charger at home and haven't had trouble with Supercharging on the road. I can point to towns I wish had a Supercharger, and I've had more than my statistical share of problems at Superchargers (power out to the site, broken connector, abnormally low charge speed, though thankfully not lines/waits)... but still, I would disagree that there are "gigantic deficiencies" in the area in question. I mean, I'm only even considering the Tesla Supercharger network -- if we layer all other charging networks on top of that, I have to think the picture gets even better.

I'm sure we can point to parts of the country that have gaps. I'm sure we can point to charging networks that aren't as well-maintained as Tesla's. I'm sure apartment-dwellers with no home charging would find an EV less attractive. But really, to say an OEM should drag its feet on EVs until all customers are overserved by charging opportunities is nuts. It's pretty clear that there's a sizable and growing market for EVs, served by a sizable and growing supply of DC fast chargers, and the right strategy would be to get on board as quickly as possible and grow with the market. If there aren't enough home chargers, how about offering customers a discount on one when they buy the car? If 100% EV share by 2030/2035/whatever is unrealistic because apartments won't install chargers that fast, OK, but to say "we'll focus on the steadily shrinking ICE market and watch everyone else take over the steadily growing EV market"... what kind of a plan is that?

Another macro down day.
WTI @ $82.50.
TSLA rises and is now green.

Yeah, feels like MMs+Hedgies are buying back some of those ~24M shares they sold at the Closing Cross last Friday: (Main Session volume for TSLA was 7.25M shares as of 09:47 ET)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-09-19.09-46.png

TSLA also dragging the NASDAQ-100 (NDX) up:

S&P 500 Index Components by Market Cap.2022-09-91.09-44.png

Chairs!

Last edited:
If you're saying people just want things better and cheaper, then that's a wonderful coincidence. Renewables based sustainability is far better and FAR cheaper than the fossil status quo.

I've been to a million and one residential solar info sessions over the last 10 years. Every one of them has a handful of very conservative males who just want to know the price and terms. They're not wrong to want those things and it doesn't hurt the mission to be focused on those things.

I would argue we're actually gonna need that kind of attitude, from the marketplace and govt, in order to truly scale.
I think one of Elon's insights that truly made a difference was that, in order for EV's to succeed, they needed to be economically and practically competitive as well as desirable. The existing EV's up to that point largely were science experiments that only a die-hard tree-hugger would buy... the EV1 starting to be the exception...

Thus the master plan was genius: start at the high end where the bar for price was reachable, and you could appeal to folks based on style, performance, and range... the environmental effects were almost a side benefit. Oh, and he made sure Tesla was the new standard-bearer for safety.

He then worked like mad to scale and drive efficiency in order to reduce cost. And built out charging infrastructure (both superchargers and destination chargers). He arguably has spent more time on manufacturing improvements, cost control, and infrastructure than he has on the car design itself.

In short Elon recognized that while people may want to do the right thing, if it were costly, had no sex appeal, or inconvenient, the car wouldn't sell. As it stands now, Teslas are the some of the most stylish, safest, fastest, and affordable (taking TCO in to account), cars around... and they happened to be electric.

Last edited:
Been seeing a ton of bad assumptions from the usual Twitter TSLA bears but even Tesla bulls when it comes to China demand over the weekend. As in….demand has fallen significantly for the local China market.

We all know that Tesla is flooding the local China market this month with by far the highest monthly production total ever. Not a doubt in my mind that if Tesla hadn’t had production disruptions in the first 6 weeks of this quarter for the upgrades, anywhere from 15-25% of September’s production would be going toward exports. But since it isn’t, you have a situation where 100k of cars need to be sold in a single month in a single market.

As we get into Q4, now some are worried about China demand but seem to completely forget that despite Shanghai increasing exports this month to Australia and other countries that have been starved, those countries are still looking at wait times of summer 2023 for expected delivery. Tesla will simply decide to end the wave and ship more cars to other countries in the last two months of Q4. Yes I think there will be a small price drop in China. I said this over a month ago before Tesla started reducing wait times for the local China market. And that’s because as Tesla has always done, they will drop prices when production makes a material jump. But the point I’m making, is that Tesla doesn’t even have to drop prices, they can just starve the local China market the same way they did other countries for the past year to build up demand again. Likely they’ll choose something in the middle

Last edited:
July 2022 I have the prices at

12 kW Solar 1 PW $35,618

Maybe that's all changes in tax credits but it's psychologically a significant change taking it from just over $35k to just over $29k.
This month I was quoted GBP 12k = USD 14k for 6kW PV + 10kWh storage, with monitoring, fully installed, inc all taxes using good gear (Huawei LFP, Trina, K2, etc). And nothing is cheap in the UK. Increasing PV and inverter to get it to your size of 12kW + 10kWh makes it USD 19k vs your price of USD 35k. What on earth is going on in the USA to make solar so expensive ?

(the reverse question is why do we have to pay such an overly high price for 3/Y in the UK given the above ?)

This month I was quoted GBP 12k = USD 14k for 6kW PV + 10kWh storage, with monitoring, fully installed, inc all taxes using good gear (Huawei LFP, Trina, K2, etc). And nothing is cheap in the UK. Increasing PV and inverter to get it to your size of 12kW + 10kWh makes it USD 19k vs your price of USD 35k. What on earth is going on in the USA to make solar so expensive ?

(the reverse question is why do we have to pay such an overly high price for 3/Y in the UK given the above ?)

You seem to be confused, the $35K price with 1 powerwall was historical not current. The current prices after federal tax credit are

* 12 kW solar no PW $16,882
* 12 kW solar 1 PW $24,932 ($8050 above prior option)
* 12 KW solar 2 PW $29,832 ($4900 above prior option) (auto recommended option right now for me)
* 12 kW solar 3 PW $34,732 ($4900 above prior option)

So that 1 powerwall config that was over $35K in July 2022 is now under $25K in Sep 2022.

Last edited:
You seem to be confused the $35K price was historical not current. The current prices are

* 12 kW solar no PW $16,882
* 12 kW solar 1 PW $24,932 ($8050 above prior option)
* 12 KW solar 2 PW $29,832 ($4900 above prior option) (auto recommended option right now for me)
* 12 kW solar 3 PW $34,732 ($4900 above prior option)
Ah thanks, yes I had missed that.

So on a like for like basis USA cost is $25k and UK cost is $19k. That is at least getting within spitting distance though even so typically UK prices are higher than USA, not the reverse as seems the case with solar. The UK price includes all taxes, and there are no grant subsidies whatsoever. Do the US prices include all taxes ?

He is wrong in way the chicken lays the egg. And how we have known we need more eggs for at least 50 years (since the Arab Oil embargoes of the 70s). And how he kicks the egg/can down the road, so that the next generation has to clean up an even bigger mess.
We need everything everywhere all at once. :rolleyes:

Ah thanks, yes I had missed that.

So on a like for like basis USA cost is $25k and UK cost is $19k. That is at least getting within spitting distance though even so typically UK prices are higher than USA, not the reverse as seems the case with solar. The UK price includes all taxes, and there are no grant subsidies whatsoever. Do the US prices include all taxes ?
And average cost of a typical 12kW system in Australia works out to be around $7,740 USD (range is $6,365-$8840 USD). While this includes a government rebate of around $4,000 USD, it still shows there's more optimisation available in the US and UK markets.

And average cost of a typical 12kW system in Australia works out to be around $7,740 USD (range is $6,365-$8840 USD). While this includes a government rebate of around $4,000 USD, it still shows there's more optimisation available in the US and UK markets.
Ah......yeah. Considering a typical 12kW array in the US is about $32.5k....yes, I would say we have some work to do!

How was he wrong? Factually.
He is not wrong that we need cleaner grid energy or better charging infrastructure. He’s wrong when he says “there is a specific sequence that we need to respect.” His specific sequence is cleaner grid first, then charging infrastructure, then start development of EV models. The existence of Tesla is enough to disprove the necessity of going in that sequence. He’s using anti-EV propaganda talking points as a way to deflect responsibility from himself.

On Powerball production scaling to greater availability. I dont see it happening at all in 2023. There are simply too many emergency need cases like Puerto Rico and Ukraine or life threatening situations like fire-avoidance in CA.

And I'm fine with this. It's a very similar tactic to starting automotive production with the Roadster and then Model S. Powerwalls create massive efficiency and resilience, but they also literally save lives and encourage freedom.

107120588-1663593935332-gettyimages-1243354982-AA_19092022_872061.jpeg

(Ukrainian citizens charge their mobile phones and tablets from a generator supplied by Ukrainian soldiers after Russian Forces withdrawal from Izium as Russia-Ukraine war continues in Izium, Kharkiv Oblast, Ukraine on September 18, 2022.
Metin Atkas | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images)

Do the US prices include all taxes ?

Price After Potential Incentives

Excluding sales tax and including installation

For the states that charge I'd think 10% would be in the right ballpark but many states don't charge taxes on Solar PV.

For example in my state it's 100% exempt on sales tax and the property tax is limited to "Tax value no more than 12.5% of installed cost"

per Solar Tax Exemptions | SEIA
>There are 25 states that offer sales tax exemptions for solar energy.
> There are 36 states that offer property tax exemptions for solar energy.

Sales and property tax exemptions for home solar power has a more readable list.