Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headline by The Guardian. Just wrong.

What the frick? I don't even know where to start with that one. That's fake news and it makes me cringe massively that it's a British newspaper. I only skimmed through the article and don't see anything in it confirming the fake headline or first paragraph.

Edit: From the article: "The hearing could be the first step in a far more draconian punishment for Musk, including his removal from Tesla management at a crucial moment for the electric carmaker’s expansion." That idiot Edward Helmore obviously didn't read the transcript.

One point I feel has been overlooked here recently is that there were three parties to the "agreement" -- but SEC failed to bring up Tesla! I wonder how that impacts on the sequel to this great drama? Or am I misunderstanding again?

That's correct - and had the judge held Elon in contempt the SEC might have gone after Tesla as well.

They alluded to this:

Very lucid and transparent reporting by Adam Klasfeld.

Adam Klasfeld on Twitter
@KlasfeldReports

Crumpton: "Tesla has, for whatever reason, thrown its lot with Mr. Musk."

Nathan interjects later: "If that's right, has Tesla done what is required of them."

Crumpton calls the company's conduct "troubling."

12:40 PM - 4 Apr 2019

I am a little speechless. Let me expand: where is it stated that a lawyer for the SEC calling conduct "troubling" should result in a heavy penalty. Everyone but Crumpton was attempting to clarify, elucidate, and improve their understanding of well defined questions.

Edit: there's something to be learned here. One of the reasons I follow Tesla's trajectory. And I think Elon Musk will also take home an appreciation of how nice it is to cut through FUD.

What the frick? I don't even know where to start with that one. That's fake news and it makes me cringe massively that it's a British newspaper. I only skimmed through the article and don't see anything in it confirming the fake headline or first paragraph.

Edit: From the article: "The hearing could be the first step in a far more draconian punishment for Musk, including his removal from Tesla management at a crucial moment for the electric carmaker’s expansion." That idiot Edward Helmore obviously didn't read the transcript.

Yep the article is horrible. Also first paragraph:

“The Tesla billionaire Elon Musk is in “clear violation” of a gag order issued by the US’s top financial watchdog after Musk inaccurately claimed last year he had a buyer for the company, a court heard on Thursday.”

99457BD3-4555-4729-86B3-B38DBD626059.png

The hell... what does the article say? That doesn’t even look like it could be a mistake, they’re just outright lying.

“...a court heard”. Well perhaps they heard it from the SEC lawyer, but not from the judge.

Ya, I found and read through the article. Sadly, the Guardian joins my list of news outlets I can no longer trust. Mistakes are fine, if they’re corrected when pointed out. But with this blatant attempt to lie to me, unless I learn that the person who came up with that headline is fired, they’re dead to me.

Tesla shorts betting against stock up nearly $800 million on day as Musk arrives in court

neat little fun fact, the shorts made more money today than tesla has ever made in it's history. (800MM>21+311+139)
Are you an idiot? A company growing as fast as Tesla shouldn't "make" much money until growth slows. All extra revenue should be directed to further growth, and debt should be increased if doing so accelerates additional growth. Since it's history, Tesla has made hundreds of thousands of cars that have driven Billions of miles without using fossil fuels. They have also forced the entire industry to accelerate their plans to go electric while undermining their own ICE businesses, possibly saving the planet. What have the short's made in the last ten years?

Last edited:
But you are fine with the TV show content not having any influence? :rolleyes:

Obviously everything you watch will influence. No, I am not exactly 'fine' with it, but if you cannot see a difference between TV show content that interests you and attempts to tell a story as opposed to flat out in your face advertising, well let us agree to disagree.

This is very OT so I will stop here.

Last edited:
Reactions: neroden and humbaba

I think it’s a syndicated article problem. The Guardian is one of our better news sources, particularly on CO2 emissions related articles. News Ltd are much worse.

I think it’s a syndicated article problem. The Guardian is one of our better news sources, particularly on CO2 emissions related articles. News Ltd are much worse.
As has been pointed out by wiser heads than mine, the publication is less important than the writer. Of course, some publications only use bad writers...

Really, if the SEC had made the settlement in good faith, the "reasonably could be" would have worked well enough.

I don't know, as I think about this (IANAL), this agreement was a mess. Perhaps best is to just vacate the agreement. Without making a serious case (like intent to defraud) the 420 comment should just be argued out and resolved.

The call to remove EM is weak. Fine, probably ok. This lingering "Dunce Cap" agreement is a folly that serves only those benefiting from chaos.

I don't see EM as fraudulent or dishonest. He can roll a little too close to the edge. I think he is honest. I do think he is a disrupter and for this he gets his lashes and we make our own decision if we want to take the brilliant with the baffling, our choice. The SEC cannot force TSLA to use traditional media or marketing or else...

My challenge to the SEC is to find a way to work with disrupters. They are needed to be part of a healthy public market. If all the disrupters are driven out of the public market then how does the public (who pays the SEC's salary) benefit? This is a question we should hope gets some contemplation IMO.

In a way, EM is disrupting the securities markets just as he has banking, tunneling, autos, access to space etc...

Nobody's probably going to like this question, but...

If there's no good will on the SEC's part to clarify the language of the settlement and there's a chance of judge throwing it out and re-opening the 420 tweet case, which in turn has a possibility of Elon removed as a CEO in the worst case,

Do we think that Elon will feel pressured into giving concessions on the clarifying the settlement language to steer clear of the original case?

Or do people here think it makes sense to hold your ground and re-do the 420?

• Funny
Reactions: Renew

I tweeted my disappointment to them. I expect this to be fixed. I’m used to some outlets using shady tactics to mislead, but outright, blatant, falsehoods right in the headline like this is worse than anything I’ve seen outside the National Enquirer.