Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the trip I am on right now, trucks are driving the speed limit which is 70-75 mph. Perhaps in the East coast they go 60-65, but not here.

Humans do not always make decisions with the optimum economic outcome. Also, there is no one optimum speed for every situation. For example, a diesel truck going downhill will have the most favorable economics if they don't use their brakes (as much as safety allows). They will use less fuel and wear their expensive brakes less if they just let 'er roll. An electric truck will have the most favorable economics by limiting downhill speeds to 60 mph, or as much as regen allows (within reason). In an electric truck, limiting aerodynamic drag by avoiding higher speeds increases regen potential and thus range while reducing recharging costs and time. That is one advantage that is impossible for a diesel truck to harness when descending long grades. When it comes to brakes, it's burn, baby, burn. It costs money. The fact that they were creeping up that 6% grade on the other side at only 35 mph gives them extra incentive to make up time when they can. The Tesla semi can pull the maximum load up a 5% grade without slowing down. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare.

Truck drivers are individual humans and if their speed on the flats is not limited by technical, legal factors, or company policy, the speed they choose will be largely determined by their own desires and human idiosyncrasies. And, as in investing, human idiosyncrasies often cause sub-optimal decisions to be made. For that reason, many trucking companies have maximum speed policies that are lower than the legal maximums and some even enforce it with remote telemetry technologies using satellites. Independent truckers who own their own rigs will often make decisions that actually lower their hourly earnings simply to finish the job more quickly. They end up with less hours driving, at a lower hourly compensation and then some of them will have the nerve to complain how difficult it is to make it financially as an owner/operator once they cover fuel/maintenance, insurance and the amortized cost of their rigs! Because they don't know how to drive their rigs in a way that makes them the most profit.

I feel like this is Jan/Feb. all over again, where we had excellent Q4 Earnings and the stock tanked anyway. I don't know if Earnings next week will do anything. We have been giving thumbs down to everyone that calls for ridiculous lows, but 180 is definitely in the cards now. 😥

Shortzes will try to arrive at the CPI Report at the 52-wk low. If it come in hot, they can move down further. There might be support at the 180 level (see 2 yr chart above), but if FED hawkes bearish next week, it'll largely drownd out any good new that Tesla releases.

I'm keeping my powder dry right now.

That is the portion of our income requires for food is pretty small compared to the rest of the world. In other word, other people have to work a lot more just to feed themselve!
That is true, but highly misleading:
A relevant metric is proportion of income required for food in the poorest decile or so of the population. The US suddenly might not look so good on that metric. It's not surprising that accurate data on that is a trifle harder to find.

Add medical care cost and suddenly the US becomes pretty much the OECD worst.
health-spending-u-s-compare-countries-2

From our narrow TSLA perspective the more material question is the size of the population that could afford, say, a Model 3 RWD. There is plentiful data on that sort of metric.
This article from Bloomberg provides a bit of context for the US:
electric-vehicles-are-out-of-reach-for-most-u-s-consumers

For Tesla it becomes more clear that the Chinese market is so huge it is hard to imagine, but there the progress was becoming stifles by becoming more like the US:
Sorry for quoting Business Insider, something I rarely do. This tome they seem both accurate and useful. The better sources are hard to absorb IMHO, because they have mountains of data.
What seems to happen in much of the world is that personal vehicle use has been rising, with sizes tending to vary by urban congestion, and prices vary with disposable income levels. The two do correlate but there are those 'pocket rockets' and luxury small cars that are increasingly popular.

For Tesla we will soon have more dominate in Asian and European markets than we now do, driven substantially by smaller, not necessarily much cheaper smaller vehicles. Production costs will continue to rise, but more subscription-based services and options will drive margins.

The US, depending on National and State political decisions, will be a reduced part of the whole, even as the overall market of BEV and renewables will inexorably continue to rise.

In the meantime Tesla will have gigantic growth in stationary storage, especially at industrial levels because the transition to renewables si now progressing even in anti-renewables markets, because it is cheaper. In Brazil, for example, it is hard to find a more anti-environment government than the Bolsonaro one, (even importing diesel fuel and fertilizer from Russia!) but even there, according to recent O Globo reporting more than 90% of growth in energy generation next year will be solar and wind. Article is in Portuguese:

When that is happening we certainly are entering a global movement that is inexorable, so Tesla suddenly will need to expand TE vastly faster than even automobiles and trucks.

The only question is not how much growth is in the US but how much opportunity is in the world. Recessions fears and petroleum shortages will simply accelerate those moves.

When @WADan posted about US food costs that spawned these thoughts about how much the world is changing before our eyes. China, India, Russia and many other places re responding to these issues, including food costs, by rapidly moving asymmetrically to the US.

FWIW, State Grid, Huawei, BYD, and many others are using to fill these needs, as the US is viewing all this a pure politics rather than 'realpolitik'.

Elon Musk sees all this and tries to imagine solutions. Quite obviously no single person can cope with solutions for these issues, not even the obvious present manifestations in Ukraine and Taiwan. The Ukraine one, specifically does directly affect food prices.

Even after negating the chinese demand issue, we can’t get the stock
to rally.

It’s just negative FUD sentiment, it seems nobody wants to take
on risk In this environment.

I think we are in over FUD mode, so seems Shorties trying their best .... and that is a good thing.
If CPI is good tomorrow morning, big macro moves, else we might still see a small relief rally esp. with unwinding of VIX( +34 right now)/insurance.

From tomorrow morning, every move/bet will only be based on upcoming earnings report ... and that should be a good thing.
So I think SP move up starts tomorrow ....

For everyone who is looking at share prices right now:

Please remember what TSLA is, what Tesla prospects are in:
-car sales;
-storage
-truck sales.

Then remember that all those unquestioned headwinds are making damage for ICE and fossil fuels;
Then realize that there are only tailwinds for Tesla products, worldwide. If on market slips there are many others untapped;

This is a horrible time to have margin, and a dangerous time to deploy most option strategies.

Be calm, that ain't easy, and hold, buy and hold.
Hint: DO NOT look at your portfolio value right now unless you've held most of your stocks through at least one cycle.

Last edited:
GM taking on Tesla in energy now?

EDIT: I see Joe F beat me to it.
As best I can tell, this is just LG Energy trying to take advantage of the Inflation Reduction Act. They are using the GM brand, but I don't see where GM has anything to contribute from an engineering standpoint. As far as I know, GM has no expertise in batteries, BMS systems, pack design, software, or anything else that would make it an actual GM product.

This is also true of GM's EVs. The whole power train and associated software comes from LG Energy. GM is the brand, but it's mostly an LG car.

I'd love to know the details of the energy products deal between GM and LG. The whole thing sounds a little half-baked, but it does show that GM and LG realize that the market for these products is going to be huge in the US and they don't want Tesla to own 90% of the market.