Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT: If anyone is interested I thought I'd post here because I love my TSLA investor friends. I am about to release a P100D reservation because I found one in a color that my wife prefers. Its a 2018, fully loaded, glass roof, 21 inch rims, EAP, etc. $81,800 including doc and destination fees. Its an inventory car with about 2000 miles (I believe) and is eligible for the tax credit. If you'd like it please PM me today and I"ll put you in touch with my OA.View attachment 394109

Arg, that is such a steal... I paid more for my inventory S90D 2 years ago with 500 miles on it. Unfortunately I just bought 2 Tesla's in the last 2 years so my wife won't be entertaining any more purchases.

Thinking out loud here - and considered waiting to post until my thought is better developed but figured the input from people here might result in a better thought than on my own:

Short version: In the absence of Tesla advertising, is there a way we could get people currently looking to buy a new ICE vehicle (those actively looking online or visiting dealerships) to learn a little more about Tesla before making their decision?
+1
I believe there is demand saturation in the US for the higher priced variants of Model 3 as Tesla's customer base is still limited to the early adopters/EV enthusiasts. The addressable market is increased with the availability of the SR/SR+ but I think this too will reach demand saturation (may be EOY 2019) unless the market can expand beyond the early adopters. The next generation of car buyers who are social media savy and who will be buying cars in 5-10 years know about Tesla but a majority of the current car buyers either do not know about Tesla or have been exposed to the FUD about Tesla from MSM. I believe Tesla closing stores and not advertising is hurting them as it severely restricts the growth of the addressable market.

So we filled that island reversal gap from last week. Lol. Anyways, this price action on pretty decent volume strikes me as fairly bullish. There is a biiiig gap down that needs to be filled. Will be interested to see how Monday plays out. I do think that a lot of this is SEC contempt case driven.

Also, no sign of "selling on strength" in money flows.

Cramer throwing shade at the judge now (after baiting her to throw Musk in jail last week). Now I know this guy is scum. I had some respect for him earlier, but no more. No longer listening to him.

This hearing has turned out to be a pretty good litmus test for those covering Tesla in any way. From outlets like The Guardian outright lying to their readers about what happened there, to Mark Spiegel exposing himself as a homophobic dirtbag, to now Cramer attacking the judge for making a decision he didn’t like and even to that guy on twitter that managed to be a better reporter than absolutely anybody else providing coverage, everyone’s reactions have been super telling about them.

Don’t necessarily disagree(I did cite size as the exception), but I think for many/most people the apparently superior charging capability, better efficiency, apparently better degradation of the battery so far, more foreword looking features(internal camera and landscape screen making it clear it’s better tailored for FSD), track mode, etc. would scare them off an S/X for now.

Don’t mean to disparage your purchase(congrats on that, btw), just saying that the level of advancement of the 3 vs the S/X makes it seem like most would want to wait for similar/better advancements in those.

Valid points. However, after the recent price reduction it was a no-contest for me. I didn't want to wait for the possible refresh because we don't know 1) when it will happen, 2) how much the prices will go up and 3) what possible issues a new model will initially have (even if it's just an interior refresh). The current S has had a lot of time to iron these out.

An EV is like a computer these days. You always get something better if you wait. It's a waiting game that never ends. Hell, in Tesla's case it is a computer.

Yea, I'm a troll who owns a Tesla, and has been a member of TMC for 5 years. SMH.

Why are some people SO affected by a thought or opinion they they don't necessarily agree with? It's no different than the Fox News type people I come across all the time. Nothing I posted wasn't factual. Now, my thoughts and worry about it might be. But, as many have done, make your case as to why my thoughts are wrong. Trust me - I want very BADLY to feel confident again.

I think in this case it's because your thought/opinion doesn't stand up to the lightest scrutiny.

Taking money off the table at a certain level and putting it back on the table at a lower level, and then repeating that several times, is not investing. It’s speculating.
I've argued with other buy and hold longs against what you say here.
I believe Tesla is worth more than $360, so long term I want to invest in Tesla.
I know that in all of Telsa's history, it's volatile, and subject to wild price swings, as such, as Tesla gets near the technical high, if I can realize profit by selling some of my shares, I will do so. I then sell puts, sit on the $, or invest it elsewhere while I bide my time for the inevitable fall in the price, in which time I buy back in.

I've doubled the number of shares I own in Tesla while only adding an additional 20% in capital. All the rest came from getting in/out of Tesla, and selling options.

So, I've increased my holdings in a company that I believe will in the long run rise in value by trading it. I consider that investing.

I just put a deposit on an inventory X. The sales numbers don't lie; S/X were down a lot. This probably allowed me to get a super deal, though. But while some of the tech may be older, the X has no real competition until Y releases. Most of the deals I've seen over the past weeks were on S, not X, and most of those were for 75's.

I still have a twinge of regret for not jumping on a fully loaded X100D in my preferred color for 85k. Ugh.

Grats on your purchase! As @SpaceCash might say, I'm jealous AF.

Buddyroe either can't understand that 400k reservation was for all model 3 variants and most likely towards the SR one or he's a troll and just trying to stir things up. Either way, from that one comment he's shown he's worthy of the ignore list ;)
you don't want this place to be like an echo chamber just like those bears are in.

I still have a twinge of regret for not jumping on a fully loaded X100D in my preferred color for 85k. Ugh.

Grats on your purchase! As @SpaceCash might say, I'm jealous AF.
Was it this color?
RedX.png

• Funny
Reactions: OnBass
I am concerned about a massive bear raid Monday morning with the uptick rule being over. I expect a load of FUD articles over the weekend and a significant drop Monday morning. The direction after the drop will be telling. I sold some covered calls for next week to try and make some $ from this. If I am wrong then I don't mind mind rolling them out as needed.

I thought all the produced-but-not-yet-delivered cars were on their way to customers.

Sorry, but bears were right and we were wrong about much of Q1. If the bull thesis were unassailable, the stock price would reflect this. I'm paying attention to stuff I used to dismiss out of hand and feel like it would be foolish not to.

I appreciate your response.
There are reports about some people in Europe getting their cars 8 days after ordering. There is simply not enough time for shipping. At the same time also people still waiting for their cars.

I am guessing that Tesla is NOT built to order. They batch build a large number of popular optioned cars and ship them near potential customers.

I am concerned about a massive bear raid Monday morning with the uptick rule being over. I expect a load of FUD articles over the weekend and a significant drop Monday morning. The direction after the drop will be telling. I sold some covered calls for next week to try and make some $ from this. If I am wrong then I don't mind mind rolling them out as needed.

Last time the uptick rule expired, the stock went up. I remember well because a TMC poster got burned. With that said, I too have sold covered calls expiring next Friday against LEAPs and stock.

I'm probably getting a little too philosohical here, but if we win. Win we win. Elon will get most of the credit/money/fame/hollywood starlets/etc. Generals usually do- but generally, soldiers win the battles.

Ah, um, I have something material to contribute. :cool:
https://www.amazon.com/Corps-Commanders-Bulge-American-Generals/dp/0700615083/

The biographies and decision making of the senior American commanders in the Battle of the Bulge.

It's a very factual account sans flourishes. I learned a lot beyond raw data from that particular book amongst dozens and dozens [hundreds?] dealing with WWII in some way or another. I have a faible for history.

Currently reading Voltaire, though. Yes, that was a bit earlier.

Oh yes - if we win, we win! Eternal sunshine of the speckled mind!

[Generals matter. No, Deepak's not coming back. I'm not growing younger. Shtuff.]

• Informative
Reactions: neroden