Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was tempted but held off. I've got a core position in an IRA that I've always said I was going to hold until Tesla started paying for television advertising (which I've noticed more TMCers demanding, btw). I added a few shares in a regular account that I plan on swing trading but cost basis is $308 on those. Kinda need a runup before I start trading those (I should've sold in January in the $340's- oh well).

Good luck and at least you've got a loss for tax season.
thanks I plan to wait at least 30 days to claim the loss, and maybe just buy them back around earning call if the bears can help me out :p

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tasha Keeney on fox business yesterday. What a breath of fresh air compared to CNBC.

That was freakin amazing coming from FOX! Lady in the red dress was great - "Everybody in this country should be rooting for this company in one way shape or form."

giphy.gif

I also sold my trading share (15% of all my shares) at the absolute bottom, converting paper loss to real loss. I was hoping to get back in at a lower price, looks very very unlikely now.

Sorry to hear that, Remus, but we often get a tale of woe, often from well-establish member of this community who do these kinds of trades.

Best recommendation I've heard from the experienced folks is to sell half, then see which direction to goes.

Given that $TSLA likes to drop down the the mid-200's, maybe you should lose hope.

Cramer throwing shade at the judge now (after baiting her to throw Musk in jail last week). Now I know this guy is scum. I had some respect for him earlier, but no more. No longer listening to him.

Right.

In fact, Cramer was most informative regarding a certain cartoon my son watched while in the single digit age. Incidentally, Cramer's reaction corresponds to a maturity of that age.

There was a weird 2.5M shares spike/trade at around 10:40 earlier today.

Speculation: big short might have been posting very large sell limit orders to cap the price - without any true intent to sell. Algos will generally recognize a 2.5 million shares barrier in the book and will not trade against it - few algos will trade 600 million positions in a single stock - way too risky and way too illiquid. In fact algos will interpret this as a sign to sell.

But, if the spike is real then someone called that bluff and picked up 2.5 million shares ...

Super bullish if true.

Could have been MM's pushing the price up to the Max Pain of $275 - which is where it will close, mark my words...

Re: I’m a Mac style ad.

Sure, but tack it on the end of a viral YouTube vid of Teslas loading themselves onto ships. To book expensive space with mainstream media at this juncture feels like surrendering to blackmail/extortion.

Edit: Tesla marketing should have a fun time with this. Think Holden precision driving show team, only with any number of cars, higher speeds and tighter tolerances. New job vacancy - vehicle choreographer - keep an eye out for it.

This ^

I am concerned about a massive bear raid Monday morning with the uptick rule being over. I expect a load of FUD articles over the weekend and a significant drop Monday morning. The direction after the drop will be telling. I sold some covered calls for next week to try and make some $ from this. If I am wrong then I don't mind mind rolling them out as needed.

If the drop is over, the direction must be up...
:D
(the magnitude of the vector, that will be interesting....)

• Funny
Reactions: 2virgule5
Spiking upwards because transportation paradigm going to shift. Uber and Lyft changed the paradigm but are flooding the market with rates so low to capture customers, but what then, when they have the market will rates rise so they can make a profit?

The most material tweet which got basically little attention is the comparison of FSD feature as a competitor to uber/lyft. Previously, FSD was meant for a family to share, but from what i remember there was no acknowledgement or direction for out right ride delivery network....
Nothing material, be sensible when using that word.

But, it’s possible big investors are testing NoA and realized how close they are, and how much lead they have over others.

Sorry to quote my own post. @AlMc based on your reading of the hearing, do you think something like the above would appease the Judge?

Also, @TNEVol what do you expect to see from the talks between the SEC and Musk?

IMO the judge was looking at three things.....Better clarification of how to determine tweets are material or not/ more cooperation between SEC/Tesla?EM on handling issues that 'might' come up....Staying away from litigation in the court....So your quoted post does all that.....;)

IMO, she was most displeased that the SEC went for the jugular ( court contempt charge ) before engaging Tesla/EM in a discussion of their concerns. IF the SEC had reached out to Tesla/EM and they basically said 'FU' she would have been fine with the court filing.

I am concerned about a massive bear raid Monday morning with the uptick rule being over. I expect a load of FUD articles over the weekend and a significant drop Monday morning. The direction after the drop will be telling. I sold some covered calls for next week to try and make some $ from this. If I am wrong then I don't mind mind rolling them out as needed.

I hope so. But I fear there has been, and will continue to be, too much price support.

I reoptimized myself for a slow, steady climb, but mostly doldrums (17 may $330s covering nearer-term sold calls, plus a couple sold far-OTM put spreads). Would have been far better off if I'd just held onto my 18 Apr calls. But here we are again, another day of strong price support. If Monday is strong too, I may need to go more aggressively bullish.

At this point, I half expect the next investor call to begin with, "But before we start, I'd like to introduce a special guest... Ma Huateng." ;)

There are reports about some people in Europe getting their cars 8 days after ordering. There is simply not enough time for shipping. At the same time also people still waiting for their cars.

I am guessing that Tesla is NOT built to order. They batch build a large number of popular optioned cars and ship them near potential customers.

That's one reason why there are so few options.
Apart from wheels and software, Europe has:

5 external colors
2 Internal colors
2 choices of motor performance
i.e. only 20 combinations.

That was freakin amazing coming from FOX! Lady in the red dress was great - "Everybody in this country should be rooting for this company in one way shape or form."

giphy.gif

I saw two red-dressed ladies, but I guess you mean the sassy lady on the left.

And is it me or was Tasha more made-up than usual?

I should have been trading the last 2 years yes. Sell when it goes over $300, buy when it goes back to $260. I would have a made a mint now. Holding long on a stock that trades heavily on sentiment is a sucker's game and I've been a sucker. I intend to sell most of my stake and trade in and out instead of letting it just sit there doing nothing while the market keeps going up.
And, for a short while it might work... till one time, it doesn't.

Also, NEVER use more margin than you have liquid assets to cover on a minutes notice. I'm not one to give advice, but if I did, I'd suggest everyone search "1929 stock market crash" and review the YouTube video every year.

Thinking out loud here - and considered waiting to post until my thought is better developed but figured the input from people here might result in a better thought than on my own:

Short version: In the absence of Tesla advertising, is there a way we could get people currently looking to buy a new ICE vehicle (those actively looking online or visiting dealerships) to learn a little more about Tesla before making their decision?
Drive Electric Earth Day
National drive earthday day

National Drive Electric Week
national drive electric week
lots of meetups here and there
Drive Electric Earth Day
etc (google iz yer friend/fiend)

exactly. how can he be in clear, deliberate contempt of an agreement that can't be defined by either party that agreed to it?

What if the SEC pushed for Elon to "seek approval" for any tweet "related to Tesla, Inc". I wonder if Elon would agree to that -- while on the surface it's considerably more stringent than the prior agreement, at least it would be an easier standard to define and comply with. and besides, since the approval is just going to be a rubber stamp from someone within the company that's already on his side, what's the big deal?
Not without explicit approval of Tesla Inc, one of the parties to the Consent Decree -- that's what. IMHO, IANAL, YMMV, etc. And Tesla was not even invited to this Full Press Court, amirite? ;)

No, My Illegal Opinon is consistently that SEC Head Analyst is irreparably reversed, immersed and confused by that revolving door. (Putting it kindly.)
Phew, I have just scanned through 40 pages. 24 hrs worth. Previously this would have been 20 pages. I used to deal with it by:
  1. Only reading posts with 5+ positives (FUD is well screened out by ignoring function)
  2. Reading FC, Karen etc. even below 5
Today I used:
  1. Only reading with 10+ positives regardless of who posted
  2. Only reading long posts with 15-20+ positives
Felt much more of a chore - first time for me in several years. Only vaguely aware of the days action. I'm pretty sure that you are all mostly pitching at me rather than all the other losers. On that basis, you may want to:
  1. Combine posts, hold onto them before posting - perhaps 2 hrs
  2. Review your material with a critical eye before clicking
  3. Check whether your previous posts met my benchmark
  4. Post on a more specific thread where it will be available to be read and found more easily in a week or a year
  5. Use bullet points and fewer words where possible
Others commented on being behind and therefore posting ahead of catching up. This is a viscous cycle because people like me haven't read everything, double post the same stuff and others who are reading everything double post before catching up.

I await your instructions.
Lessen up on the viscosity? :rolleyes: Tuff stuff gets tuff. :) Find a solution. ;)

Tasha Keeney on fox business yesterday. What a breath of fresh air compared to CNBC.

Surprising that right wing news like fox is so supportive of tesla, they were respectable and just misinformed by all the FUD. It is also the first time i watch them talk about tesla so not sure if this has been like this before. The world is upside down with left wing news like cnbc trashing tsla all the time.

I did also notice that cnbc muzzled one of their ultra bear host last time when tasha was on. (though becky quick still ran with her bias) Suggesting an attitude change in mainstream news.

Whatever was done to put pressure on cnbc. Double that effort.

Ps. I hope i got my left and right correct. Always confuses the two.