Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sitting here with my coffee and a big grin! I just closed the deal on my dream house. Got the keys. Admiring the view from my living room sitting on improvised furniture.

☕ 😁 🏠 🚗

Yes I do have to sell some more shares now. But that is all right. Without TSLA I would not be here. Bought my first shares in the spring of '19 so the graph a few posts back explains how this house dream became possible.

I even have a Plaid on order. Scheduled for delivery Q4/Q1. If we are still in a slump I might push delivery out one quarter. Lot's of things needed in this empty house.

If you have recently invested and your account is all red then just hang in there. 2019 is not that far ago. I belive TSLA has more to do.

A big thank you to you all for helping me HODL my shares trough everything that has happened! I love you all!

Congratulations!! Success stories are always great to hear.

Could Twitter users here remind me if Elon made a poll on Twitter asking if he should buy Twitter? I remember he made a poll asking if he should sell 10% of his TSLA shares to pay taxes but I don’t remember if there was another poll to buy Twitter and what were the results.

Could Twitter users here remind me if Elon made a poll on Twitter asking if he should buy Twitter? I remember he made a poll asking if he should sell 10% of his TSLA shares to pay taxes but I don’t remember if there was another poll to buy Twitter and what were the results.
Indirectly. He had a poll in March, and made the buyout offer in April.
Free speech is essential to a functioning democracy. Do you believe Twitter rigorously adheres to this principle?
  • Yes 29.6%
  • No 70.4%
2,035,924 votes·Final results
SmartSelect_20221015_073014_Firefox.jpg

Congratulations!! Success stories are always great to hear.

Thank you! It might interest some of you to hear that I first sold some shares near ATH for this. Then I thought the deal would close this spring and sold some more. The third batch were sold recently when we were around $300. And now I have to sell the last batch soon.

A funny thing happened on the way to a Twitter purchase.........(share buybacks, Uncle Leo, Cathy Wood, Jack Dorsey, and other weekly breadcrumbs)

While Friday's closing share price hitting a new 52-week low of just under $205/share represents a new emotional low for many TSLA Longs witnessing the growing disconnect between TSLA share price and Tesla's performance as a company, it was likely met with great enthusiasm by many not wishing to see Elon purchase Twitter. And with so much FUD in the face of record earnings and path to orbit for TSLA it is fair to ask if the beat down of the stock price since the TWTR purchase announcement hasn't been pummeled in-part by Big Money that would much prefer to see the purchase effort unwind instead of go through. The week held so much more with comments from Uncle Leo, and Aunt Cathy, and red-headed step child Gary Black, and so many others on WS and main street that it should feed an interesting weekend of reflection...........and speculation.

1665831244299.png

But looking forward first requires looking backwards. Following Elon's sale of TSLA stock near the ATH to pay taxes, he sold another 7.92 million shares for approximately $7 Billion (roughly $883/share) for his outright TWTR purchase efforts. I am still not certain after following Fred's take on this on Electrek and the perspective of others if these funds were independent of the funds Elon used for acquiring his 73.5 million shares for a 9.2% stake in TWTR - meaning he may have purchased those TWTR shares with funds from his previous tax sale and/or other sources (hoping someone here can illuminate which pile of money Elon bought his TWTR shares with). But it appears Elon acquired TWTR when the share price was roughly $40/share, so the purchase of those shares was just under $3B. And at the current price of TWTR, that 'investment' is worth about $700,000,000 more than he purchased it for. About 25% more while everything else is down 50%. Not a bad investment! And whether TWTR share price has stayed high because of Elon's desire to purchase it, or possibly because those not wanting him to purchase it have artificially increased the share price to make that purchase even more difficult, the result is still an extra $700,000,000 in Elon's pocket that could help fuel an unexpected twist.

1665831346086.png

At the same time that Cathy Wood discussed the possibility of Elon and Jack Dorsey are perhaps working more closely together during her Yahoo interview this last week, our friend Uncle Leo (Koguon) made a very public Twitter request to Elon for Tesla to make a TSLA share buyback of biblical proportions at these current share prices. And despite Uncle Leo insisting on Twitter back in May 2022 that a share buyback would have a much greater impact on TSLA share price than Gary Black believed it would, Gary didn't waste any time this week with a similar request to Tesla itself. And for me, here is were it really gets interesting.............even before discussing the idea of Tesla being the buyer of those TSLA shares.

Elon's $7 Billion sale of 7.92 million shares at $883/share should now be split adjusted 23.76 million shares at $205/share.................and those shares are now only worth about $4.9 Billion. That would mean that Elon could purchase back all of the shares he sold earlier this year to purchase TWTR and have $2.1 Billion remaining from that sale. So from the perspective of a buyback on Elon's part, the significantly reduced TSLA share price leaves Elon in a position of regaining all his original shares plus retaining a considerable amount of remaining capital to begin a new venture with.

Enter the re-kindled talk of Elon and Jack Dorsey working together. Over the past 6 months it has been speculated on TMC, on Twitter, and even by Elon himself that an effort to create a platform similar to Twitter would cost from $40 million - $400 million...............if he had the right people around him. Cathy's message this last week is that he already has the right people (Jack). But is that in the context of a purchase of Twitter or of a new platform? Regardless, Elon is sitting on a potential $2.1 Billion after buying all his shares back. Which creates the the further possibility that Elon could buy back his 23.76 million shares and still have $700,000 million remaining after paying the $1 Billion fee for backing out of TWTR, and after investing in a new venture costing up to $400 million if he went that route instead. And he potentially could add an additional $700,000 million to that war chest by dumping his 9.2% stake in TWTR at current prices if those shares were purchased outside of his $7 Billion share sale. That's a whopping $1.4 Billion off-ramp to the positive for Elon at the moment.......................and it represents the TSLA Float being reduced by 23.76 Million shares in the process.

The ultimate irony
Let's assume that it is within the realm of possibilities that those not wishing for Elon to purchase TWTR have worked to keep the TWTR share price up while they have hammered the TSLA share price lower since this all began. Not too much of a stretch IMO with headline stories on MSN this week of Tesla EVs floating in the Florida hurricane flood waters bursting into flames everywhere as one possible example. But ironically, we have now arrived at the place where those that may have tried to prevent Elon from further influencing social media through a purchase of Twitter may have unknowingly provided him with all the capital monies necessary to begin his own social media platform, and all the publicity necessary to do it........................while leaving Elon with up to an extra $1.4 Billion after he buys all his shares back, and after he starts the new social media platform with Jack Dorsey. Yes, from a 50,000 foot view this is all getting much more interesting no matter how it turns out. And we didn't even discuss Tesla buying back any shares with their massive war chest yet either. That could lead to some unexpectedly serious compounded interest for Tesla and for TSLA Longs if it was on Elon's 3-D chess board at the moment.

A funny thing happened on the way to a Twitter purchase.........(share buybacks, Uncle Leo, Cathy Wood, Jack Dorsey, and other weekly breadcrumbs)

While Friday's closing share price hitting a new 52-week low of just under $205/share represents a new emotional low for many TSLA Longs witnessing the growing disconnect between TSLA share price and Tesla's performance as a company, it was likely met with great enthusiasm by many not wishing to see Elon purchase Twitter. And with so much FUD in the face of record earnings and path to orbit for TSLA it is fair to ask if the beat down of the stock price since the TWTR purchase announcement hasn't been pummeled in-part by Big Money that would much prefer to see the purchase effort unwind instead of go through. The week held so much more with comments from Uncle Leo, and Aunt Cathy, and red-headed step child Gary Black, and so many others on WS and main street that it should feed an interesting weekend of reflection...........and speculation.

View attachment 864042

But looking forward first requires looking backwards. Following Elon's sale of TSLA stock near the ATH to pay taxes, he sold another 7.92 million shares for approximately $7 Billion (roughly $883/share) for his outright TWTR purchase efforts. I am still not certain after following Fred's take on this on Electrek and the perspective of others if these funds were independent of the funds Elon used for acquiring his 73.5 million shares for a 9.2% stake in TWTR - meaning he may have purchased those TWTR shares with funds from his previous tax sale and/or other sources (hoping someone here can illuminate which pile of money Elon bought his TWTR shares with). But it appears Elon acquired TWTR when the share price was roughly $40/share, so the purchase of those shares was just under $3B. And at the current price of TWTR, that 'investment' is worth about $700,000,000 more than he purchased it for. About 25% more while everything else is down 50%. Not a bad investment! And whether TWTR share price has stayed high because of Elon's desire to purchase it, or possibly because those not wanting him to purchase it have artificially increased the share price to make that purchase even more difficult, the result is still an extra $700,000,000 in Elon's pocket that could help fuel an unexpected twist.

View attachment 864043

At the same time that Cathy Wood discussed the possibility of Elon and Jack Dorsey are perhaps working more closely together during her Yahoo interview this last week, our friend Uncle Leo (Koguon) made a very public Twitter request to Elon for Tesla to make a TSLA share buyback of biblical proportions at these current share prices. And despite Uncle Leo insisting on Twitter back in May 2022 that a share buyback would have a much greater impact on TSLA share price than Gary Black believed it would, Gary didn't waste any time this week with a similar request to Tesla itself. And for me, here is were it really gets interesting.............even before discussing the idea of Tesla being the buyer of those TSLA shares.

Elon's $7 Billion sale of 7.92 million shares at $883/share should now be split adjusted 23.76 million shares at $205/share.................and those shares are now only worth about $4.9 Billion. That would mean that Elon could purchase back all of the shares he sold earlier this year to purchase TWTR and have $2.1 Billion remaining from that sale. So from the perspective of a buyback on Elon's part, the significantly reduced TSLA share price leaves Elon in a position of regaining all his original shares plus retaining a considerable amount of remaining capital to begin a new venture with.

Enter the re-kindled talk of Elon and Jack Dorsey working together. Over the past 6 months it has been speculated on TMC, on Twitter, and even by Elon himself that an effort to create a platform similar to Twitter would cost from $40 million - $400 million...............if he had the right people around him. Cathy's message this last week is that he already has the right people (Jack). But is that in the context of a purchase of Twitter or of a new platform? Regardless, Elon is sitting on a potential $2.1 Billion after buying all his shares back. Which creates the the further possibility that Elon could buy back his 23.76 million shares and still have $700,000 million remaining after paying the $1 Billion fee for backing out of TWTR, and after investing in a new venture costing up to $400 million if he went that route instead. And he potentially could add an additional $700,000 million to that war chest by dumping his 9.2% stake in TWTR at current prices if those shares were purchased outside of his $7 Billion share sale. That's a whopping $1.4 Billion off-ramp to the positive for Elon at the moment.......................and it represents the TSLA Float being reduced by 23.76 Million shares in the process.

The ultimate irony
Let's assume that it is within the realm of possibilities that those not wishing for Elon to purchase TWTR have worked to keep the TWTR share price up while they have hammered the TSLA share price lower since this all began. Not too much of a stretch IMO with headline stories on MSN this week of Tesla EVs floating in the Florida hurricane flood waters bursting into flames everywhere as one possible example. But ironically, we have now arrived at the place where those that may have tried to prevent Elon from further influencing social media through a purchase of Twitter may have unknowingly provided him with all the capital monies necessary to begin his own social media platform, and all the publicity necessary to do it........................while leaving Elon with up to an extra $1.4 Billion after he buys all his shares back, and after he starts the new social media platform with Jack Dorsey. Yes, from a 50,000 foot view this is all getting much more interesting no matter how it turns out. And we didn't even discuss Tesla buying back any shares with their massive war chest yet either. That could lead to some unexpectedly serious compounded interest for Tesla and for TSLA Longs if it was on Elon's 3-D chess board at the moment.
Yes, please.

There seem to be those few among this community who initially voted with their money based upon Elon's vision, engineering, and success, who are now second guessing him and trying to rally others to their cause. Is it justified?

We have a man who routinely takes on projects with impossible odds and employs strategies which others have failed to conceive of and he has become very successful in any field he ventures into.

So, faith is lost by a few among us mere Muggles when he once again acts upon another grand vision, one that, unsurprisingly, is of greater scope than many of those watching are able to comprehend.

The idea of how this is exactly the sort of behavior that has made him many successes so far is now seen as a fault is astounding in itself. Perhaps it is worth a moment of consideration about how the one doing such seeing is who may actually be at fault. The one who has not Elon's keen intellect and remarkable perspective which has been responsible for the boons which have benefited investors so far.

It seems foolish to believe that any rational person could put much stock in a conclusion based purely in another person's fears over their potential for losses simply because the latest plan Elon is working on is beyond their ability to grasp. Particularly when this has always been the case with every one of Elon's plans, and is the hallmark of his several companies' rise to dominance in their respective fields. It seems more logical to put bank on Elon's recurring trend toward success and expect that the insight he has employed so far is likely to continue to achieve things nobody expected, well into the future.

Anyone who truly feels strongly about it should vote with their wallet and sell TSLA now. If that is how you feel about Elon's future ability to continue doing what he has done so far. There is no need to attempt to build a mutual support network here of others who are feeling unsure of his next project, simply because they are unable to grasp his view of the big picture.

If you are just a little uncomfortable because you can't see things the way Elon does, don't worry too much about that. Most of us fall into that category. If we could put the puzzle pieces together the way he does we would each be as successful as him, wouldn't we? This is where it may require a little trust in how these proven accomplishments point toward more of the same.

If after giving this some consideration you still feel strongly that Elon has lost his edge and feel his addled mind no longer holds the keys to success, sell now! Then, form an investment forum of your own, where you can pat one another on the back as you discuss how much richer your lives have become since distancing yourselves from investments in Tesla specifically and Elon generally. And continue to avoid the possibility of a faulty perception of doom and gloom which you have allowed the act of facing uncertainty to paint for you.

As for the rest of us, we may accept how being unable to see things the way Elon does may be an advantage for those who continue judge him on performance and fundamentals that are the basis of his unique outlook for problem solving on a grand scale. All the while encouraging the world that there is a positive future for mankind, as well as one for some of us to invest in.

HODL, the future is very likely so bright that we're gonna need shades. :cool:

Last edited:
It is worth pondering if the X.com idea is a good idea. I don't necessarily believe that was Elon had in mind when he initially decided to make the Twitter purchase.

Building the X.com services is mostly a matter of software development.

This is not correct. The most difficult step is regulatory approvals. Just as a starter there is the National Bank charter and FDIC insurance. That requires both Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) and Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) approval. If he opts for a Bank Holding Company, which does have some advantages, he'll need Federal Reserve Bank approval, for Texas, the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas. All these steps are time, resource and structure intensive.

The software side for this kind of operation is quite standardized, partly because of the regulatory, reporting and security standards which are quite standardized. The user interfaces (internal and customer) can be and are quite varied, but the core rarely has anything other than quite standardized options. Both Elon Musk and people around him have been through all this before. They all know exactly what they'll need. They also know how the Twitter user base will need to interface with all this, but essentially zero Twitter systems will directly be uses. Further, as they expand around the world the regulatory processes will be the primary impediment, over and over.

Tesla, on the other hand, is almost positive to see significant changes, mostly to adapt the new payment systems interfaces and options, certainly including subscription services, vehicle/stationary/other product financing, payment and so on. Even so, the actual processes are not likely to require major software development.

In context: The most innovative US credit card product in recent times was the Apple Card, done by Goldman Sachs. They ended out retreating from most of their custom processes as profits were elusive and losses mounted. Outside the US there are numerous innovations that allow multi-function accounts. Further, MasterCard offers a multi-currency card which is popular in some applications. In payment systems themselves there are widespread non-bank style solutions built on a model originated in Kenya called M-Pesa that operates with a cellular telephone account base. These sorts of innovations and several uniquely Chinese approaches are all well known to the Elon community. Because of all these, the ability to adapt existing systems to perform many such functions is well established.

When all of this begins to happen nobody knows, probably not even Elon. After all, his first challenges are to fix the existing Twitter internal controls and user options. That will probably take time, maybe lots of time.

Finally, Elon has repeatedly mentioned WeChat as a model for Twitter. Despite the features WeChat does not actually provide payment services, but links to them. AliPay is the dominant payment service there, broadly analogous to PayPal. Since Elon starts discussion with X.com he obviously and clearly intends to pursue a model that includes, in Chinese style, at least, both WeChat and AliPay services.

All this if executed, will suddenly provide the operating base for RoboTaxi, Supercharging access nearly everywhere, with comprehensive user communications.

Pulling this off means achieving vertical integration that has never yet been seen in the world.
I am quite positive that this is the eventual goal, because that is what he strongly implied. He may be impulsive but he's not quite silly enough to describe all of this at this point. Just imagine the attacks and FUD!

View attachment 864042

View attachment 864043

The ultimate irony
Have you calculated numbers that show EM has more then enough money for the TWTR purchase or are you saying that he will somehow be able to walk away?

Reactions: vikings123

View attachment 864042

View attachment 864043

The ultimate irony
You lost me...
Current TWTR price has no meaning if sale goes through, the price is $54.20 each.
The price is high because Elon is (likely) buying it. Driving it higher has no impact on anything, especially at this point ($60 would gave caused shareholders to vote no).
He wouldn't be able to sell TWTR shares until after court allowed the deal to be terminated. At that point they would be nowhere near the $50 level.

As to his TSLA sales, Fred's graph with single arrows is misleading:

15 days between Nov 8-Dec 28 2021
Nov 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 23
Dec 2, 9, 13, 16, 21, 22, 28
He sold a bunch to cover taxes on his exercised 2012 CEO plan options which were going to expire.
He also sold more for cash/ tax payment.

Cash from that went toward inital TWTR purchase.

April 26-28
He sold to fund TWTR purchase

Aug 5-9
He sold more to cover the possibility of a court ordered purchase combined with less equity partners. This money could go back into TSLA if equity partners stay in (and Elon has Tweeted he would do that).

View attachment 864042

View attachment 864043

The ultimate irony
This is a bit too much hopium. He cannot back out of the deal. So forget about him buying back shares, hope he doesnt need to sell more.

There seem to be those few among this community who initially voted with their money based upon Elon's vision, engineering, and success, who are now second guessing him and trying to rally others to their cause. Is it justified?

We have a man who routinely takes on projects with impossible odds and employs strategies which others have failed to conceive of and he has become very successful in any field he ventures into.

So, faith is lost by a few among us mere Muggles when he once again acts upon another grand vision, one that, unsurprisingly, is of greater scope than many of those watching are able to comprehend.

The idea of how this is exactly the sort of behavior that has made him many successes so far is now seen as a fault is astounding in itself. Perhaps it is worth a moment of consideration about how the one doing such seeing is who may actually be at fault. The one who has not Elon's keen intellect and remarkable perspective which has been responsible for the boons which have benefited investors so far.

It seems foolish to believe that any rational person could put much stock in a conclusion based purely in another person's fears over their potential for losses simply because the latest plan Elon is working on is beyond their ability to grasp. Particularly when this has always been the case with every one of Elon's plans, and is the hallmark of his several companies' rise to dominance in their respective fields. It seems more logical to put bank on Elon's recurring trend toward success and expect that the insight he has employed so far is likely to continue to achieve things nobody expected, well into the future.

Anyone who truly feels strongly about it should vote with their wallet and sell TSLA now. If that is how you feel about Elon's future ability to continue doing what he has done so far. There is no need to attempt to build a mutual support network here of others who are feeling unsure of his next project, simply because they are unable to grasp his view of the big picture.

If you are just a little uncomfortable because you can't see things the way Elon does, don't worry too much about that. Most of us fall into that category. If we could put the puzzle pieces together the way he does we would each be as successful as him, wouldn't we? This is where it may require a little trust in how these proven accomplishments point toward more of the same.

If after giving this some consideration you still feel strongly that Elon has lost his edge and feel his addled mind no longer holds the keys to success, sell now! Then, form an investment forum of your own, where you can pat one another on the back as you discuss how much richer your lives have become since distancing yourselves from investments in Tesla specifically and Elon generally. And continue to avoid the possibility of a faulty perception of doom and gloom which you have allowed the act of facing uncertainty to paint for you.

As for the rest of us, we may accept how being unable to see things the way Elon does may be an advantage for those who continue judge him on performance and fundamentals that are the basis of his unique outlook for problem solving on a grand scale. All the while encouraging the world that there is a positive future for mankind, as well as one for some of us to invest in.

HODL, the future is very likely so bright that we're gonna need shades. :cool:
Casting Elon Musk as a god or wizard is the very reason you’ve been unable to make rational investment decisions. I’ve been sounding the alarm for a couple years regarding his increasingly right-wing radicalization and accelerating propensity for unforced errors that do real, material damage to Tesla, and all it earns me are temporary bans from overly-emotional moderators.

Told ya so.

I’m sorry that the Spring of 2019 is one you don’t like to remember. For me it brings back good memories.

Having started investing in TSLA just before the time of ‘funding secured’ (buying between 300 and 370 pre-splits) I watched the stock slump all the way to 230, 200 and even sub-190. Those prices were so ridiculous - knowledge gained in this thread - that I decided to go all-in, quadrupling the amount I originally planned to invest.

Best. Decision. Ever.

Hopefully there are some people now who have just started investing in TSLA and are deciding to do the same thing. I expect them to be richly rewarded.

Just don’t take risks with money you may need quickly or with margin. It can always go lower and back then it took a while for the stock to dig itself out of the hole.
Glad you brought up the pre-split numbers. When we're all feeling down, just remember the pre-split(s) price using yesterday's close is...

3074.85!

Hopefully that helps a bit. Now to infinity... and beyond!

Casting Elon Musk as a god or wizard is the very reason you’ve been unable to make rational investment decisions. I’ve been sounding the alarm for a couple years regarding his increasingly right-wing radicalization and accelerating propensity for unforced errors that do real, material damage to Tesla, and all it earns me are temporary bans from overly-emotional moderators.

Told ya so.

Elon is the only reason there is EVs to drive when you go out of your house. As far as I know he is not spreading Neo Nazi propaganda out there. He is offering his political opinion on every subject he is interested in and he is buying Twitter. These are 2 faults for TSLA stock because the market is fearing he might sell more but he is far from a radicalized white supremacist or whatever radicalization you think he converted to. This guy was bullied during his whole childhood in post apartheid South Africa and almost got killed by bullies throwing him downstairs. He is the antithesis of radicalization.

Last edited:

Told ya so.
For me, he's more like a Magician - creating new tricks with new technology that people can't figure out.
He had me with the fart button. Others should have seen that as a sign and invested accordingly.

Elon is our black swan event. Twitter has nothing to do with making EVs.

You want to give starlink to Ukraine, fine, but then don't go on Twitter giving your opinions on the war. It's neutral zone for you buddy.

I think shirts need to be made that say: STFU Elon.

I'm really beginning to be annoyed with his personality. I held him up in my mind for long, but his ego is getting the best of him.
It’s amazing how a person’s view changes when the stock price is down. Had TSLA been at ATH right now, I doubt we would see many posts like this. So this tells me, it’s only when “we” feel pain, that we complain. To hell with what Elon wants or feels.