Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now with the statement by Elon that the FSD beta would be released to all new buyers and anyone who previously purchased it, the question I have is will it be recognized as revenue in 4th qtr 22? That was not stated nor asked which I find curious... possibly not going to recognize the revenue while it's still in beta?

So waiting on version 12.69.420?

Cali State DOT fleet Model 3’s are in…many more than I expected 😍 closer to 400! Not hertz level but except. The new Prius/ civic hybrid of the 2020’s. Volts have been decent but I hold them as pieces of junk. Not ok for hills at all.
Gonna be a lot of new drivers that want to upgrade after driving these! Got a pic but was told to hold off on sharing(This weekend! Not too exiting of a pic but Sweeet!) Pretty sure it would be public knowledge? Don’t think our fleet plans are secret…can’t wait for cybertrucks since no one else can deliver the demand or price..my Nissan P/U gets 16 mpg and monthly requirement are some 1500 miles on all vehicles. No new ICE purchases planned unless alternatives not available. Buying in state made cars makes so much more sense from a fiscal standpoint. Exciting times!

Last edited:
Dang, someone's grumpy.

Let's assume the 2170s going into the Semi are a full MW (original specs, although probably a tad more efficient). Let's also assume the cost of those, at the pack level is $120/kWh (Tesla is probably less, but let's factor in some inflation).

Pack cost = $120,000/kWh minus $45,000/kWh = $75,000 cost for the pack after IRA production tax incentives.

Tesla is selling them for $180,000 (or they were when the prices were up for the Semi - let's assume some commercial buyers have locked that in).

$180,000 - 75,000 = $105,000 to break even. Add in R&D, and cost of the cab itself, and that still leaves a lot of room for a healthy profit margin.

Additionally, beginning Jan 1, 2023, the buyers are eligible for a $40,000 IRA tax break on purchases of the Semi. Given that Tesla has removed pricing from their order page, let's make a reasonable assumption they will plan to raise the price, and capture half of that ($20,000 price increase).

What am I missing here? R&D costs are amortized over multiple years, the facility these are built in is not close to a GF in size, it's relatively cheap to build.

How would this not be a money-printing machine?

(and look at that, far less than 2000 words).

EDIT - I could fully see the Semi being a loss for the first year without the IRA in place. But with it, that's a lot of extra money coming Tesla's way, for a product they had already planned out years ago (and probably planned for it to be reasonably profitable).

1) Long term I think semi is going to be stupidly profitable and Tesla might even vertically integrate services themselves with convoys. I'm significantly more bullish on Semi than say...FSD...for example.

2) You gave a whole bunch of words to agree with what I said, the Semi might not be profitable / barely profitable as long as it's in Nevada.

3) I'm making a broader comentary on all the BS hype I read here (ranging all the way back to "omg Tesla Austin Gigafactory might start production 6 months early look at Jeff's flyover video footage!!!") from people who take no accountability when they're wrong but are hypocritical in pointing out analysis on the more bear-ish side. "But wait, okay Tesla semi is not super profitable now but wait until they switch over to 4680 batteries, then it will be! Or wait until they move production to their new facility in XYZ location." Just pointing it out while it's fresh on everyones' minds how completely wrong they were on Q3 earnings.

4) The IRA credits are unfair you can't factor those into anything. Those were created to help legacy auto survive, which need a LOT of help due to their apathy/incompetence the past decade. So of course the IRA is going to print stupid money for everyone in the renewable energy industry, from Tesla to Enphase to ABML, etc.

1) Long term I think semi is going to be stupidly profitable and Tesla might even vertically integrate services themselves with convoys. I'm significantly more bullish on Semi than say...FSD...for example.

2) You gave a whole bunch of words to agree with what I said, the Semi might not be profitable / barely profitable as long as it's in Nevada.

3) I'm making a broader comentary on all the BS hype I read here (ranging all the way back to "omg Tesla Austin Gigafactory might start production 6 months early look at Jeff's flyover video footage!!!") from people who take no accountability when they're wrong but are hypocritical in pointing out analysis on the more bear-ish side. "But wait, okay Tesla semi is not super profitable now but wait until they switch over to 4680 batteries, then it will be! Or wait until they move production to their new facility in XYZ location." Just pointing it out while it's fresh on everyones' minds how completely wrong they were on Q3 earnings.

4) The IRA credits are unfair you can't factor those into anything. Those were created to help legacy auto survive, which need a LOT of help due to their apathy/incompetence the past decade. So of course the IRA is going to print stupid money for everyone in the renewable energy industry, from Tesla to Enphase to ABML, etc.

Actually, no, I said clearly the Semi will be profitable from the get go, and then gave my reasoning behind it. That's the disagreement, but we're all friends, it's not a big deal. It's an immaterial matter that will sort itself.

EDIT - I don't think I've ever been in the "hype" group. I'm usually pretty grounded with my estimations.

Last edited:
Aside from the Cab, it doesn't seem like a complex vehicle to build.

As for the Cab itself, the weight of the Cab and the build complexity, depend entirely on the raw materials, and the construction process.

They are intending to ramp to 40K? by end of 2024, that is probably in Nevada. We don't know if any public plans to build the Semi elsewhere.

We know close to nothing about how the Semis are being built, and the level of automation.

Early in all production ramps lower volume production is expensive, and can be loss making.

So both the plaid and semi moved from plans to use the 4680 cells to 18650 and 2170. Is that a short term issue or is 4680 tech destined for mid tier applications? Financially that doesn’t matter if they can make them cheap and at volume.

No. Neither plaid nor semi was ever planned to use 4680, that was only in the fevered imagination of some forum members.

It looks to me like the 4680 failed to ramp as intended, Tesla is having to take the effort in-house which means it will get going, but not in the timeframe and scale since the Semi's gotta go to customers right now.

No, the semi was never planned on having 4680s, see above.

So you reluctantly build some near term product out of existing tech - just like Austin is gonna make 2170 Model Y's for a bit.

I'd expect the long term goal is to still make 4680 work, and go into the highest volume products for the efficiency and cost gains. They just arrive later than desired.

The 4680 is meant for structural battery packs. Can you even make a semi with a structural battery pack? I don't know, but Tesla is learning how to make structural packs on the Model Y. When they have figured out all the issues, and optimized it a lot, then they'll start working on other platforms, but my bet would be to apply it to a high volume car next, like the Model 3 or Model 2.

The narrative tomorrow will be:

-Elon has to sell shares to buy twitter
-No Q4 guidance
-Not enough ships and trains to deliver cars
-Production will exceed demand
-No share buybacks

edit: also:
-Declining Margins
-Revenue miss
-No comment on China demand

Positive news will be mostly ignored.
Alternatively, the one point brought up by the investment side analyst was operating leverage, and that is very efficient for Tesla, analyst should be asking why is there not a capital expenditure, raise, or loan to fund the next several Gigafactory’s.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
By the way, I didn't hear the words "dry battery electrode" anytime. While the 4680 has at least one electrode using that technology (according to The Limiting Factor YouTube Channel), there is nothing preventing its use in 2170 form factor cells. My point is Tesla no doubt has quite the number of technologies up their sleeve to wring out costs from battery technology going forward. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. It'll keep getting better and better.

Can you even make a semi with a structural battery pack?
IMO probably not, there is no need to try funky designs in long distance freight trucks hauling very heavy loads.

So the steel cans of 4680s are potentially additional weight that could be replaced with thinner aluminium cans for 4680s targeted at the Semi or energy storage.

By the way, I didn't hear the words "dry battery electrode" anytime. While the 4680 has at least one electrode using that technology (according to The Limiting Factor YouTube Channel), there is nothing preventing its use in 2170 form factor cells. My point is Tesla no doubt has quite the number of technologies up their sleeve to wring out costs from battery technology going forward. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far. It'll keep getting better and better.
There isnt but then they dont make 2170s and wont (probably). Will they share the tech with Panasonic? IDK. The current 4680 isnt the final form, it doesnt include many things mentioned in battery day, its not teslas way to do everything at once but roll things out in steps.

As for the Semi - Panasonic has ramped 2170s, Model 3 RWD has switched to LFP from Shanghai, and megapacks have also switched to LFP. Model Y is shifting to 4680 (slowly).

Semi isnt using structural packs at the moment so the extra strength of the 4680 isnt needed, the lower cost would be good but they have adequate 2170 for now and there is no reason why they cant switch later, it seems they are fine switching cell format and chemistry when they need too.

IMO probably not, there is no need to try funky designs in long distance freight trucks carrying very heavy loads.

So the steel cans of 4680s are potentially additional weight that could be replaced with thinner aluminium cans for 4680s targeted at the Semi or energy storage.

Right, the current 4680s that Tesla makes appear to be insanely overbuilt. Not only the thick steel cell cans, but Sandy's pack teardown shows a huge amount of very stiff, relatively heavy, foam.

So I suspect the 4680 Model Ys currently being built are overbuilt just to make sure it would pass crash and safety tests. It'll take them several iterations to slim it down to something more economical. That's probably why they aren't in a rush to convert all Ys to 4680 - it probably isn't cell production constraints at all. It is probably that they are still figuring out how to cost reduce the structural battery pack.

No. Neither plaid nor semi was ever planned to use 4680, that was only in the fevered imagination of some forum members.
That was never mentioned? I swear that was at least implied from battery day. If not then I'll have to readjust my expectations. Good info.

I just listened to the call on Rob's channel. And I see we're down 6% AH.
Is there a different version of that call floating around out there somewhere?
Be honest with yourself for a second. If TSLA were up from something like this call, that would feel weird wouldn't it? Since when does WS understand any of this right away? ;)

That's sort of a big miss though, factoring in Forex. You can come up with excuses for every quarter, which I've done in a previous post.

Bottom line, gigantic miss. If Wall Street was off by that much we'd all be ridiculing them for how dumb/corrupt they are, so need to hold it both ways. While it may not be you explicitly who bashes traditional analyst estimates (too lazy to go through individual post history like some vindicitive wackos here), I see a lot of unfair slander thrown at a lot of these analysts. It's a shame the slander that @Troy went through as well. Hasn't he been more right than wrong the past year? Felt like it.

At the end of the day we're all trying to make projections (short or long) to the best of our abilities, and the biases that we may have does not necessarily mean that one person's word is superior to another.

So I hope, moving forward, some respect is shown to everyone (except JPM and Gordon Johnson), about their thoughts. This should be a humbling experience for you, Rob, The Accountant, James Stephenson, etc. who had ridiculously divergent price targets.
The exact end number is the sum of many variables, some of which have significant variance and no known prediction method. If EPS had gone exactly as my $1.28 estimate predicted, for this reason that hypothetical perfect result in itself wouldn't actually mean much because a substantial portion would've been due to luck. Getting an end number in one quarterly estimate is mostly for fun. Let's dig into the details.

First, personally I didn't attempt to factor in forex because being able to guess that on a quarterly basis has zero bearing on my long-term profitability projections. Forex variation is pretty much random and all balances out in the long run. I deliberately left that as an unaccounted-for variable because I have higher priorities on improving the model I'm using and also I have no idea how to estimate how any hedging and supply chain quirks may affect the outcome. $250M forex impact was $0.065/share and if the forex impact mainly hit the revenue side (due to fulfilling orders at prices locked in months ago) then that's $0.7k difference in revenue per car as a rough guess.

ZEV credits are also pretty random. As a matter of fact, I am not aware of literally anyone in the entire TSLA investment world with a model than can reliably predict quarterly variation in Tesla's ZEV credit revenue, but if someone has one I'd like to know about it so I can learn their secret. In the absence of any such model, everyone's degree of accuracy is mere luck. So, I projected regression to the mean in the absence of any better information, which is proper statistical estimation practice for unexplained random variation with no discernible time trend. (Granted, the actual mean had been $406M and I bumped it up to $420M for karma, so I did bias the estimate somewhat. No regrets. ;)) The ZEV credit prediction error translated to $0.035/share difference. Oh well. I will continue to use the mean as my estimate unless and until someone has a better suggestion. The only thing I've updated is adding a fresh $286M data point to the pool. The standard deviation for ZEV credit revenue since Q1 2020 is $110M. The average since then has been $396M. So this was a one-sigma result to the downside, and something at least that extreme to the downside can be expected to happen around 15% of the time. Not a big deal, and this variability will matter less and less to EPS in the coming quarters as ZEV revenue per delivery declines with higher delivery volume, which is why it's not worth trying to find a way to get it precisely correct anyway.

1666222338678.png

I somewhat arbitrarily estimated +$1k of price increase bonus potentially hitting in Q3 from the hikes in March, but was clear about the fact that this was an unpredictable wild card due to there being no clear visibility of the precise timing of the post-hike orders being fulfilled. It turns out Tesla reported no benefits QoQ from price hikes, which would normally be mentioned in both the report and Zach's opening remarks on the call. That just means the impact is delayed a little more into the future. So the difference of $1k of price increases that will instead hit in Q4 and with $0.7k unexpected forex impact, that explains 74% of the $2.3k error in my estimate of ASP. The residual actual error that I still don't understand is around $0.6k. The $1k of price increases that didn't materialize affected my EPS estimate by around $0.09/share.

So, in total, random stuff negatively affected EPS by $0.035 + $0.065 + $0.09 = $0.19 and without this it would've been $1.24 non-GAAP earnings which is $0.04 off of my estimate. That's about as close as I think I could hope for and gives me higher confidence that rest of model is pretty close.

I was much more concerned with 3 estimates:
  1. Production volume
  2. Underlying ASP model excluding price hike timing and forex
  3. Average cost per car
Total Production Volume
Estimated: 376k​
Actual: 366k​
% Error: 2.7% too high​

ASP Model Without Price Hike Timing and ForEx
Estimated: $55.7​
Actual: $53.4 + $0.7 + $1 = $55.1​
% Error: 1.1% too high​
Avg COGS per Delivery
$41.3 (Q2 cost actual)
- .3 (Model S declining mix share)
- 10*10% (Shanghai increasing mix share)
- .27*2 ($100M savings each on logistics and supply costs)
= $39.5k expected global average CoGS per car in Q3.​
Actual: $39.2k​
% Error: 0.8% too high​

I published my reasoning in the Near-Future Quarterly Estimates thread in #4,950, #4,955, and #4,971, which upon review still looks like it was sound reasoning given the information I knew at the time. I also provided these important caveats:

...I still am focused more focused on Q4 and next year because almost all of my call options expire between Jan '23 and Jun '24.

This is a weird quarter with a lot of substantial uncertainties, especially on margins. How much did the 2022 price increases come into play and how much will still be in the backlog? What's the impact of relaxing cost pressure on logistics, chips and raw materials? How much of the extra spike in cost in Q2 over Q1 come from one-time expenses with shutting off Shanghai?...
...I'm not trying to get this quarter precisely right. This quarter I expect a nice beat, but the real party starts when the Mar+Apr price jumps come into full effect in Q4 and Q1 just as the new factories drag down cost once in volume production...

Here is the best information I could find for the latest estimates for both me and @The Accountant prior to earnings release. As you can see, the ASP and regulatory credits term dominates the difference between actual and estimated. It looks like this quarter's results add to the case that we have a pretty good understanding of the underlying business.

What surprised me the most was:
  • Stationary storage deployments grew even faster than I hoped (85% vs 50% expected), but revenue for Energy came in much less than expected
  • Shares outstanding somehow increased only by 4M, despite stock-based compensation expenses of $362M
I still have no explanation for either of these errors as of right now.

Q3 ActualQ3 Accountant% Error AccQ3 Gigapress% Error Giga
Regulatory Credits$ 0.29$ 0.3004.9%$ 0.42046.9%
Total Auto Revenues$ 18.7$ 19.54.2%$ 19.75.2%
Energy Revenue$ 1.12$ 1.01-9.4%$ 1.3016.4%
Service & Other Revenue$ 1.65$ 1.53-6.7%$ 1.62-1.8%
Avg Rev/Veh excl Reg Credits (K)$ 53.5$ 55.84.2%$ 56.04.6%
Avg CoGS/Veh (K)$ (39.2)$ (39.4)0.6%$ (39.5)0.6%
Avg Gross Profit/Veh excl Credits (K)$ 14.3$ 16.314.0%$ 16.515.3%
Auto Gross Margin27.9%30.3%8.7%31.5%13.0%
Auto Gross Margin excl. Credits26.8%29.3%9.5%29.5%10.3%
Research & Development (M)$ (733)$ (707)-3.5%$ (700)-4.5%
Sales, General & Administrative (M)$ (961)$ (940)-2.2%$ (990)3.0%
Total Operating Expenses (M)$ (1,694)$ (1,647)-2.8%$ (1,690)-0.2%
GAAP Net Income (B)$ 3.29$ 3.918.5%$ 4.124.0%
Shares Outstanding, Diluted (B)3.4683.511.3%3.521.5%
GAAP EPS, Diluted$ 0.95$ 1.1116.9%$ 1.1622.2%

Last edited:
“If we were to make the Semi like right now, which we could easily go into production with the Semi, but we would not have enough cells. We would have to supply cells ourselves for Semi when we are producing the 4680 in volume. But for example, Semi would use typically 5 times the number of cells that a car would use, but it would not sell for 5 times what a car would sell for. So it would not make sense for us to do the Semi right now, but it will absolutely make sense for us to do it as soon as we can address the cell production constraint.”

There are a lot of articles talking about Semi + 4680

That doesnt explicitly state 4680 for Semi but does implicitly state it, tho 4680 could just displace some 2170 use.