Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn’t seem to be an appreciation here for just how much the fed is likely to be raising interest rates. Maybe a lot of people here aren’t old enough, but rates were in the 6% area in the late 1990s during the initial dot com boom and life was fine. Admittedly a lot of things are different today, like high inflation (which only makes high interest rates even more likely).

High inflation is literally the best reason to invest in real companies with real assets and real production. Only by owning real productive assets can you protect against your wealth against becoming devalued by inflation. This is because even a static production volume becomes worth more dollars with inflation. That's the part that protects you from inflation. The part that increases your wealth is when that production is growing, not only in dollars because of inflation, but in physical units.

1667497642095.png

OK guys shall we all meet up back here in what, about 4.7 years?

I expect that chart to steepen because we are entering the phase of the EV adoption curve that should be the steepest. And also, Tesla is a much stronger company than they have ever been before which increases the chances that some of their non-automotive initiatives will start taking off. Those are the primary reasons why I don't think we have "several years of nothingness" ahead of us.

This chart is a good illustration of just how bright the future looks. Tesla is one of the most stupendously incredible companies that has ever lived and my gratitude goes out to all the hardworking employees and team members that have made Tesla what it is today.

P.S. Thank you for using the log price scale!

Just a heads up our Trail P/E ratio is 66.68 as of typing this and will further compress with Q4 on deliveries over 400k..... To around 50 or less at this stock price.
Our forward P/E for 2023 is in the 30's right now.....
Shouldn't the standard be more like 10x earnings? (Did I say that?) Maybe this is where the smoke is still too thick for the Fed with the market in general having such high P/E ratios and no growth, and trying to pop THAT bubble.

In my world, I see TSLA (or X) as a form of currency. Even if TSLA SP stayed flat for 2 yrs, other company multiples will (finally) look pretty naked out there with no growth in sight. So as 401Ks shrink, TSLA stays relatively flat or simply drops by a lesser percentage amount. Isn't this a lot like money? And a tangible currency that so happens to also produces the best products in the world?

I expect that chart to steepen because we are entering the phase of the EV adoption curve that should be the steepest. And also, Tesla is a much stronger company than they have ever been before which increases the chances that some of their non-automotive initiatives will start taking off. Those are the primary reasons why I don't think we have "several years of nothingness" ahead of us.

This chart is a good illustration of just how bright the future looks. Tesla is one of the most stupendously incredible companies that has ever lived and my gratitude goes out to all the hardworking employees and team members that have made Tesla what it is today.

P.S. Thank you for using the log price scale!
Actually it was originally posted by @sroh . I just added the joke. Pretty much all I'm good for really

The thing that truly amazes me is the unknown potential. Like my modeling is only for cars and energy and the outlook for the share price on those alone is FANTASTIC.

BUT, when I do guesswork on the possible potential of RoboTaxis the future valuations get silly. THEN if I add in Optimus, even very conservatively for the end of the decade (and beyond) the valuation gets stupid high. I don't even know how to include anything for Dojo or a potential Tesla HVAC business.

And who knows what products & innovations we don't know anything about at all today that could be coming down the pipeline.

There are downside risks too of course, but the potential upsides are the best I've seen for a single company in my 25+ years of stock investing. It's not even close.

Oh absolutely, TSLA at it's current price is a huge opportunity, and the risk vs reward over the long term is outstanding. My "a few years of flat trading" post above is my overly pessimistic outlook, my "worst case" so to speak. A large part of me expecting my worst case to play out is simply lowering my expectations purposefully. The potential upside for TSLA over the next few years is massive. My pessimism stems more from the market environment itself than Tesla.

There is a reason I am all in on TSLA and holding like a starving bear on a salmon in the winter. :cool:

Evolution over the millennia taught bears to solve the winter hunger problem by hibernating. Investors should be so wise as to mimic them during lean times. Wall Street hates it when investors sit tight on their valuable shares after they do their best to scare everyone away.

The second consolidation length (5.7 years) was more than double the first (2.4 years), if we extrapolate that would imply 11+ years of flat-line ahead.

It's not about time, production, or even revenues. It's all about the next earnings breakout. And you can hear the rumblings on the wind, in spite of the fog...

lol, it's MnA chat time on CNBC and someone suggested Musk acquires Boeing, insano. The premise they put forward is that Boeing have failed to execute and need to get back to engineering first and SpaceX is the best in execution in that space. Makes total sense for them...

Makes ya think...

There are not enough Elon's in the world and the one we have doesn't have enough time in the day to also turn Boeing around. I think that's one reason, of many, that he was attracted to Twitter. He can have an outsized impact on the company (and the world) with minimal input of time and energy.

There doesn’t seem to be an appreciation here for just how much the fed is likely to be raising interest rates. Maybe a lot of people here aren’t old enough, but rates were in the 6% area in the late 1990s during the initial dot com boom and life was fine. Admittedly a lot of things are different today, like high inflation (which only makes high interest rates even more likely).

Anyways, here’s a fairly quick video warning that rates are going significantly higher. Having said that, it also points out that the US is hoovering up capital from around the world since our economy is still consuming. This will help the stock market at least not crash. And it makes an interesting prediction about Germany and possible capital controls coming in their future.

Listened to it to understand why he thinks rates are headed to >6%, IMO the argument is flawed and based on seemingly odd speculation about middle class millennials, in all countries except the US, where these gov's can't raise rates as they have little to no demand and thus the Fed will raise rates higher than it otherwise would if this wasn't happening...

I think rate hikes stop at 4.5% around mid-next year, when GDP has totally gone south (and I think last quarter GDP was propped up by high inventories and increased federal/state spending, otherwise would have been flat to negative...). You'd think they'd slow their own spending to help bring down inflation. But that would be reasonable now wouldn't it?

View attachment 870686

OK guys shall we all meet up back here in what, about 4.7 years?
Me thinks it be sooner than that...

Jump one: a year after Model S production
Jump two: three years after Model 3 (small step up), aligned with Model Y and Shanghai startup

2022 - Semi, Berlin, Austin
2023 - Cybertruck
2024 - Robo car, Robot, Factory X