Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think he's pissed. He's clearly not the only one.

For reference, Dan Ives is middle of the road on TipRanks and his TSLA success rate isn't exactly norminal.

1668104188912.png

Agree. Anyone who thinks Elon is playing Chess, have no clue how Chess is played. Even in a blitz, it’s a well thought out game plan and disciplined execution. The Twitter saga proves it otherwise.So, for heaven’s sake stop saying he is playing what ever dimensional chess he is playing . There is none.
Reality and chess have little in common.

Musk screws up a lot of little things but usually gets the big things right. I suspect the same will prove out in the end with Twitter. In the short term a lot of Musks ideas don't work out well. In the long term, most of them do.

Complaining about Twitter being a mess when we are ~3 weeks into it the actual acquisition is short sighted. Musk is just barely getting started with it. Call back in 2 years when the changes he is making are starting to take effect.

Likewise the impacts on Tesla. None of the Twitter chaos has had a long term impact on Tesla, the company. Likewise, it won't have a long term impact on TSLA the stock. Short term? Yeah... lots of us are suffering. I've lost more than I care to admit on short term options calls that did not work out.

But all of us. All of us. Should understand that Tesla is a long term investment and short term options are risky. I get that the way Musk handled Twitter really screwed up the short term game on Tesla stock. As I said, I got burned too. This is perhaps a harsh reminder that derivatives are not the same as investments.

My money is on both Twitter and Tesla coming out of this recession looking like champions. Of course that might take 5 years to play out, a lot of Musk's ideas work that way.

I'd give you Solar City as a perfect long term bet made by Tesla which many people hated. It is only now starting to be apparent how good that call was.

OK, that's possible. But if so, why not for the last decade, since those sources took ownership stakes? Otherwise it reeks of government-sponsored intimidation/attack of a private company due to it's less than ecstatic support of the administration and their policies. And that should be a scary thought for every American, one that can be expected to generate a response at the voting booth. Or not.
Wasn't your question already answered? The concern (and seems just a mild flavor at best) is about Elon Musk's SpaceX-related US government security clearance.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
So Elon started dumping again. We're seeing a stock trajectory that is completely disconnected from macros. I'm assuming he would have tweeted if he was done.

At least Elon will get a better price for his shares thanks to the CPI number.

I'm afraid he will push us in the red again, together with the frontrunners who are recognizing the selling pattern.

This Chose Aged Pooly. ;)

he-chose-9c8efc16aa.jpg

Cheers to the Longs!

Oh my god if anyone mentions Elon playing 5-D chess.......o_O

Elon got played simple as that. Wall St raked him through the dirt on each sell event to make sure he sold at low point so that he had to sell even more shares. It's staggering just how much he lost in equity when you consider the dollar amount. He should have had to sell half as many shares as he ended up doing.
Well maybe if he sold via other mechanisms than the open market then this wouldn't be an issue, he only has himself to blame for that. Plus clearly no guidance from anyone with sense, or anyone he'll listen to

This is the part I don't understand. Sure, sell, but do it in a less disruptive manner

For reference, Dan Ives is middle of the road on TipRanks and his TSLA success rate isn't exactly norminal.

View attachment 873229
This seems to be misleading as tech and Tesla just got crushed in the past year. Even GJ is no longer last place..lol.

As for reference, when the market wasn't completely in the dump and Dan had a 1400 pre split PT, his ranking was No. 432 vs 3300 today

Tech analysts didn't do very well within the time frame of 1 year you have selected.

Ref: Wall Street's top analysts are bullish on these stocks amid market volatility

This seems to be misleading as tech and Tesla just got crushed in the past year. Even GJ is no longer last place..lol.

Tech analysts didn't do very well within the time frame of 1 year you have selected.
I didn't select the time frame. That is what came up in a duckduckgo search for "Dan Ives TipRanks rating"

Please post up a screenshot with a broader time frame if it could be more informative

Thanks

I think your response proves the point being made. Your use of manipulative tactics presents opinion as fact, similar to how GJ and others bend things to fit their narrative. Not saying you and GJ take the same stance, only that you share similar manipulative traits.
Talk about manipulative, I'm not the one using multiple paragraphs to hide simple answers. I typically use short concise statements to make a point. I do assume a basic level of knowledge in this audience which could be my mistake. I don't plan to engage with you further as it's clearly a waste of everyone's time.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this; Elon is catching a lot of heat for tweeting that he was done selling, and then selling again…

I don’t expect another I’m done selling tweet from Elon. I believe that was the mistake, and it will probably follow his public image for a while.

I don't see how it was a mistake to say he had no more planned sales or that he was "done" selling. When I finish a big meal, I might say I'm "done" eating. But nobody thinks it means I won't be eating come breakfast! The mistake was people assuming Elon would not sell more in the future. Which is a ridiculous assumption considering he has basically no income.

I also don’t really think that the price he sells shares at reflects his feelings about whether TSLA is correctly valued. He has so much wealth; we all know 10, 20, or even 100 billion $ isn’t really going to affect his lifestyle or ability to effect positive change in the world going forward.

I think you are right that Elon's sales are not indicative of his feelings of the valuation of the stock. But it's not because he has so much wealth that he doesn't care, that's not a logical deduction. Elon thinks in terms of, if this, then that, and probabilities and unknowns. He takes actions that seem most sensible given the known and unknowns. Unlike the common TSLA shareholder, he is not thinking in terms of how he can increase his net worth but focusses more on taking actions that will facilitate his initiatives and goals while avoiding potential future problems stemming from the unknown. Like you and me, he knows Tesla has a bright future, but he doesn't how the market will value TSLA tomorrow.

His recent selling was likely the result of advertisers cancelling, increasing the chances that his new company may very well need some new capital investment to grow the business without delays and without drawing down capital reserves to a risky level. Those who think it means Elon thinks TSLA is still overvalued are trying too hard to apply their own personal world view onto Elon. That's not how he thinks. He's a big-picture guy, he's pragmatic, he's decisive and he makes big, bold moves to create the future he wants. He is not a bean counter adding up his wealth and always trying to increase it. He knows that value will take of itself as long as he continues to focus on things that really matter. He doesn't like selling TSLA at these levels, but it's better than having a cash crunch down the road. He traded some wealth for the luxury of not having to worry about money being tight at an inopportune moment.

Last edited:
What was your intent??

You realize everytime they had Gordie on CNBC, they would bookend him with Ides for the counter point.

To show where he stood compared to his peers. I like having enough data to form an opinion and figured that was worth sharing. I was most interested in his Star rating and probably shouldn't have mentioned the TSLA numbers at all.

No, I didn't realize that. I don't follow mainstream media. I have TMC. :cool: