Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He could be playing Dimensional Chess, however he could also have protected us just a lil bit more you know?
Oh my god if anyone mentions Elon playing 5-D chess.......o_O

Elon got played simple as that. Wall St raked him through the dirt on each sell event to make sure he sold at low point so that he had to sell even more shares. It's staggering just how much he lost in equity when you consider the dollar amount. He should have had to sell half as many shares as he ended up doing.

Elon got played simple as that. Wall St raked him through the dirt on each sell event to make sure he sold at low point so that he had to sell even more shares. It's staggering just how much he lost in equity when you consider the dollar amount. He should have had to sell half as many shares as he ended up doing.
The ugly truth...

He could be playing Dimensional Chess, however he could also have protected us just a lil bit more you know?

Seriously, did you sell? If not, you're not hurt. Missed out on a huge swing trade? Why?

Need to sell soon, and you're vulnerable to short-term SP moves? How are you naked without protective puts to lock in the value you need in that case?

Been hearing this all month. "I need the money, I plan a big purchase this year, but I didn't want to sell until the last day..." Paging @StealthP3D for the life lesson (TIA).

But this is somehow Elon's fault? Pretty sure I heard that from Lora + 100 others. smh

Game theory, folks. Do the work. This is the Bigs. Be on your Game.

The green tidal wave finally drowned him?
From his enthuasm about GM dog and pony show at the time of hummer ev press event, I don't put too much stock into what Ives says. GM did bet on importing EVs drom CN, and obviously did not have a plan B. Ives, was not seeing through that. He should stick to counting iPhone supercycles

Based on the agreement with the FTC, for which Twitter has already paid $150M in fines. (And under which FTC could bring another suit.)

To add to this is a very FUDdy article from Bezinga today about Twitters "Chief Information Security Officer Lea Kissner, Chief Compliance Officer Marianne Fogarty and Chief Privacy Officer Damien Kieran resigned, leaving the company's privacy and security team in disarray"

The article goes on with an apparant hearsay quote from Alex Spiro saying ‘Elon puts rockets into space, he’s not afraid of the FTC.

Basically they're trying to paint the picture that Elon is running fast and loose with compliance to FTC regulations and this puts Twitter at risk of massive fines. It's implied that this in turn (to bring it back to Tesla) would require Elon selling more TSLA to pay up. So very FUD filled but possibly a grain of truth with how we know Elon feels about agencies such as the SEC and possibly FTC.

Elon Musk Is A Risk To Twitter, Causing His Privacy And Security Teams To Quit - Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA)

I recall some speculating this was to keep Twitter afloat temporarily due to advertisers pulling out. Not sure I buy that theory myself, just passing on what some others think.

Twitter had ~6 billion cash on hand as of last report, there's 0 short term need for cash there operationally. Might well be long term need for it, but that wouldn't be a forced or emergency sale as the person I was replying to hoping this might be (and which would be the case if this was for repaying a bridge loan)

EM may have just come up with a number that he felt he needed for whatever reasons in the next couple of years and decided to raise it now and that is it.

If it was just "I might need this in the next couple of years" then selling at what most seem to hope is at or near the bottom is a weird choice if the sale were entirely optional and years-forward looking. Even moreso given Elon has more insight into Teslas coming growth and financials than anybody.

Not that Occam's razor is NEVER wrong, but it sure points at a forced sale to cover bridge loans right now....Plus every other explanation is worse for either Elons planning ability, or his expectations of share price in the next couple years for TSLA.

It is all a matter of perspective.

From Elon's point of view we are talking about pocket change.🤷‍♂️

Nobody puts too much thought into maximizing their pocket change. It is not like he was going to the ATM or something. ;)

Twitter had ~6 billion cash on hand as of last report, there's 0 short term need for cash there operationally. Might well be long term need for it, but that wouldn't be a forced or emergency sale as the person I was replying to hoping this might be (and which would be the case if this was for repaying a bridge loan)

If it was just "I might need this in the next couple of years" then selling at what most seem to hope is at or near the bottom is a weird choice if the sale were entirely optional and years-forward looking. Even moreso given Elon has more insight into Teslas coming growth and financials than anybody.

Not that Occam's razor is NEVER wrong, but it sure points at a forced sale to cover bridge loans right now....Plus every other explanation is worse for either Elons planning ability, or his expectations of share price in the next couple years for TSLA.
It is a pickle. It's possible Twitter is burning cash far faster than he had planned, but why so much?

Even if he had to buy out the Saudis for some political reason their investment is only a couple billion.

Reactions: CorneliusXX
if TWTR overhang did not exist, ... he would still be selling to ensnare the shorties , yeah :)

As I wrote yesterday (and have been saying here for years), the big event is when Elon excercises the ~300M shares he has earned as stock options for successfully achieving all 12 tranches of his 2018 CEO comp. plan. (BTW, that plan is why were're rich).

Will Elon have to sell ~50% of those shares at the time of exercise to pay the income taxes? That's the "overhang", not some puny little 20M shares to fund twitter, which shortzes eagerly pounced on to create a 20% drop in SP. What do you think 150M shares will gather from short sellers? 750M shares at 5:1 if they continue piling on like they did last week.

No, the answer is to be found in the Judo Dojo. I think Elon has a strategy, and I think he's wise to keep it close to his vest until its done. That's my opinion. I will wait to see what happens, and I'm patient.

Cheers!

I would tend to agree this is a forced sale, but my point is Elon goes his own way and we may never know one way or another. He may still be of the opinion that a terrible recession is coming and this share price should be fine for the next couple of years. A bad recession would crack the overall market another 25% and as for TSLA - I don't know you tell me. Don't believe company performance would matter much until trailing PE hit 20 or so. Of course, that would be a buying opportunity similar to 2019 or 2013 but that is how the market works.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
I’m thinking to support TSLA we should support Twitter and pay $8 to be verified. Elon needs all the help he can get in order for that company not to lose money. We don’t want him selling more TSLA to keep Twitter a float.

Plus if you care about free speech it’s a small price to pay to not have corporations influencing free speech by withholding ad revenue. Another benefit is it will be easier to fight FUD cause it least you know you are talking to real people instead of some bot.

Looks like the Elon selling target was moved up to 190 today. That's high enough to get buyers returning to the stock but low enough to still be a bargain as well. If TSLA strongly pulls above 190 at some point that would be a signal to me that Elon is done selling. He must have been able to sell a sugar-ton of shares so far today. Let's hope today is the end. Volume so far is 87M shares.

As I wrote yesterday (and have been saying here for years), the big event is when Elon excercises the ~300M shares he has earned as stock options for successfully achieving all 12 tranches of his 2018 CEO comp. plan. (BTW, that plan is why were're rich).

Will Elon have to sell ~50% of those shares at the time of exercise to pay the income taxes? That's the "overhang", not some puny little 20M shares to fund twitter, which shortzes eagerly pounced on to create a 20% drop in SP. What do you think 150M shares will gather from short sellers? 750M shares at 5:1 if they continue piling on like they did last week.

No, the answer is to be found in the Judo Dojo. I think Elon has a strategy, and I think he's wise to keep it close to his vest until its done. That's my opinion. I will wait to see what happens, and I'm patient.

Cheers!
What you are saying does make sense, and could come to fruition in couple of years. It could be the same result with or without TWTR.
.. but current proof in pudding says current actions are due to TWITr. cheers!!

I’m thinking to support TSLA we should support Twitter and pay $8 to be verified. Elon needs all the help he can get in order for that company not to lose money. We don’t want him selling more TSLA to keep Twitter a float.

Plus if you care about free speech it’s a small price to pay to not have corporations influencing free speech by withholding ad revenue. Another benefit is it will be easier to fight FUD cause it least you know you are talking to real people instead of some bot.

I think it's better for everyone to take that $8 and buy 1/25 of a share of TSLA. Twitter has cost us enough.

Important guidance for investors from Tesla CEO on Q1 2018 earnings call:
People get too focused on, like, what's happening in the space of a few weeks or a few months. This is an old maxim of investing; you should not be focused on short-term things; you should be focused on long-term things. We have no interest in satisfying the desires of day traders. I couldn't care less. Please sell our stock and don't buy it.
I think that if people are concerned about volatility, they should definitely not buy our stock. I'm not here to convince you to buy our stock. Do not buy it if volatility is scary. There you go.