Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk to give Gwynne Shotwell more responsibility overseeing Starbase.

Which is good, it opens up some free time for him to acquire Parler.

Foxconn

What advantage does Foxconn have over the Legacy Metal Benders, especially Toyota? Ambition and will? I'll agree to that. Can you point to other specifics other than they make the iPhone that I use?

Electronic device manufacturing expertise certainly helps in creating an EV from the ground up, but there's a hell of a lot more to it. I think @Gigapress had a good article with some related information: Giving Tesla a 15-Year Head Start Was a Bad Idea

Their public comments about hoping to manufacture EVs for Tesla are telling of their ignorance. What do you think about that?
Think I've already answered those questions. Some on the Off Topic galore thread.

Last edited:
I haven't vetted these numbers but they seem reasonable at first read.

y53tlyxgn7z91.jpg

With like 8 million (!) shares traded in the final minute?! @Papafox is this a record?
I use this chart put out by Nasdaq to view TSLA buying by the minute.

According to the chart, we saw only 4.9K shares trade during the 4pm closing cross. By comparison, we've seen 1M to 2M shares trade in that minute on other days when Elon was selling. Looking at the chart, it seems that around 3:06pm some selling pressure (I assume it was Elon) stopped and the stock price quickly drifted higher. If Elon was actively selling, you would think his agent would have been selling like mad during the 4pm closing cross. That didn't happen. Perhaps the desired number of shares for the day were sold on Wednesday and it was time to sit back and let the share price drift higher (which is good for Elon and us). Since 3 trading days can go by before a Form 4 needs to be filed, I'm hoping that the last of Elon's selling will take place on Thursday. When it's done, we may well see a rise such as we saw today at 3:06pm and beyond. Expecting Form 4s Thursday night.

Edit: The NASDAQ chart might be wrong. A buddy said 5.1M shares traded in final minute. Looking for other sources now and will report back.
Edit 2: All: please DM me a link to your source for TSLA by-the-minute volume and let me know what you saw at 4pm on Wednesday if different than my numbers. Gonna get some sleep zzzzzz

Last edited:
Off Topic galore thread... you do know how to look for other threads don't you?

My whole point is Foxconn is a big player with partners that already build BEV's in Thailand, they've developed 3 pretty nice prototypes, they have manufacturing centers in a number of countries, soon to include India and the US, and they have manufacturing experience and expertise, maybe most of theirs in phones , but their partners know how to build BEV's. Their Model B is being referred to as an iPhone on wheels. And BEV's are all about electronics and battery management, as are phones and computers.

I'm not saying this is going to happen tomorrow, I just think they are going to be a big global player in the next few years, and the closest potential competition to Tesla I've seen. Do your homework and if you don't come away with the same conclusion, well that's your opinion.

I agree Foxconn has the manufacturing strengths you mentioned, and I'll take your word that their 3 prototypes are pretty nice. However, I'm not worried about them, or any competitor, threatening Tesla's growth.

As I may have opined before, in the next few years Tesla will have Level 4 FSD and Foxconn won't, unless they license it from Tesla. Many folks forget/disbelieve this but I suspect it will be easier to remember and believe after a few more FSD Beta releases.

You know all is not well in Tesla-land when we're this testy on a 7%+ green day.
You know all is not well in Tesla-land when we're this testy on a 7%+ green day.
I am not optimistic at all for today. For TSLA to gain only 7%, same as the index on a big upside, and after many down days is very bearish IMHO. I hope to be wrong, but I expect to see further downside unfortunately!

Last edited:
Yea, it is a lil misleading as Ides' ranking used to be a lot higher, ofc everyone is getting crushed so...

I use this chart put out by Nasdaq to view TSLA buying by the minute.

According to the chart, we saw only 4.9K shares trade during the 4pm closing cross. By comparison, we've seen 1M to 2M shares trade in that minute on other days when Elon was selling. Looking at the chart, it seems that around 3:06pm some selling pressure (I assume it was Elon) stopped and the stock price quickly drifted higher. If Elon was actively selling, you would think his agent would have been selling like mad during the 4pm closing cross. That didn't happen. Perhaps the desired number of shares for the day were sold on Wednesday and it was time to sit back and let the share price drift higher (which is good for Elon and us). Since 3 trading days can go by before a Form 4 needs to be filed, I'm hoping that the last of Elon's selling will take place on Thursday. When it's done, we may well see a rise such as we saw today at 3:06pm and beyond. Expecting Form 4s Thursday night.

Edit: The NASDAQ chart might be wrong. A buddy said 5.1M shares traded in final minute. Looking for other sources now and will report back.
Edit 2: All: please DM me a link to your source for TSLA by-the-minute volume and let me know what you saw at 4pm on Wednesday if different than my numbers. Gonna get some sleep zzzzzz
@Papafox are you a day out? Both this post and your latest daily trading charts post seem to refer to the most recent trading day (Thursday) as if it were a Wednesday.

If this is true Elon can sell all the *sugar* tomorrow too without hurting us badly, hopefully

Edit: Also on top of that, Elon is no longer Twitter complain operator or whatever that was, he is freed once again. Absolute bullish sign hopefully he can start clock in at Tesla once again

View attachment 873467

Yeah, this is great news coming out of China. Looks like they're maintaining a commitment to keep critical supply chains open / running:

"Implementing Company/Industrial Park Epidemic Measures in case of epidemic, local gov to ensure logistics running unauthorized closures asking entire industrial chain/cos critical for daily life to stop working/manufacturing not allowed draft the list of critical cos (HEALTH MIN)"

well, yes, in exchange for part of Tesla. The point I am trying to make is that Elon and Tesla are so intertwined. Elon has so many shares and he would have kept them, were it not for Twitter. Selling the shares on the open market practically increasing the float. Now the float of tradable shares increased. Isn’t that kind of the same as diluting the market?

Just a thought. Perhaps I am seeing it all wrong.
Elon is increasing availability of existing shares, that is true. That is why the price drops. However, if enough buyers see opportunity and buy those shares, the price will recover.

Since new shares are not becoming available, you still own the same percentage of Tesla as before, therefore there is no dilution.

I don’t see TSLA’s performance Thursday as “bearish” for the stock, necessarily.

If Elon was selling, that explains the capped rise (although I’ll take up 7% over the freefall we’ve been getting lately).

Even if Elon was not selling, there’s obviously a reason for buyers to wait until they’re sure Elon’s done selling. We don’t even know and we would know better than anyone in the market.

Once we get an all clear, I think the stock will slowly start moving back toward the fundamentals. As Q4 results start becoming clear, people will realize more and more that Tesla is well positioned financially for the current economy and will start recovering.

NVDA and AMZN are recovering faster now, but remember that both of these companies have more headwinds to overcome come Q4 results to justify their PE ratios. Recall Amazon posted some poor forward guidance. Tesla will show high growth and excellent numbers which will help justify a higher PE ratio, and with EPS growing rapidly over the next year—even if margins come down slightly—PE will naturally drop anyway.

Plus, given that the market is forward-looking (albeit not very far forward-looking), growth stocks should start recovering in general as interest rate hikes are paused and, hopefully, eventually come back down.

There’s just a lot of fear, panic, and noise right now centered around Tesla. (Can’t blame the market for that).

It is a mystery to me that Elon’s stated life goals, sustainability and multi-planetary life, seem to have taken a back seat to his current project.

Maybe in some respects that is a bullish sign that things at SpaceX and Tesla are on cruise control and under control. In some respects it helps reduce the market’s key man risk perspective if they see Tesla killing it even while Elon is focused elsewhere.

I’ve often worried about Elon’s oversized ownership in available TSLA shares. It puts the stock price too strongly in one person’s hands. The silver lining in Elon’s selling is that it helps diversify ownership of TSLA.

Once your machine is well-oiled, do you need a guy walking around and adding more oil to the machines on a daily basis?

Elon is increasing availability of existing shares, that is true. That is why the price drops. However, if enough buyers see opportunity and buy those shares, the price will recover.

Since new shares are not becoming available, you still own the same percentage of Tesla as before, therefore there is no dilution.

I don’t see TSLA’s performance Thursday as “bearish” for the stock, necessarily.

If Elon was selling, that explains the capped rise (although I’ll take up 7% over the freefall we’ve been getting lately).

Even if Elon was not selling, there’s obviously a reason for buyers to wait until they’re sure Elon’s done selling. We don’t even know and we would know better than anyone in the market.

Once we get an all clear, I think the stock will slowly start moving back toward the fundamentals. As Q4 results start becoming clear, people will realize more and more that Tesla is well positioned financially for the current economy and will start recovering.

NVDA and AMZN are recovering faster now, but remember that both of these companies have more headwinds to overcome come Q4 results to justify their PE ratios. Recall Amazon posted some poor forward guidance. Tesla will show high growth and excellent numbers which will help justify a higher PE ratio, and with EPS growing rapidly over the next year—even if margins come down slightly—PE will naturally drop anyway.

Plus, given that the market is forward-looking (albeit not very far forward-looking), growth stocks should start recovering in general as interest rate hikes are paused and, hopefully, eventually come back down.

There’s just a lot of fear, panic, and noise right now centered around Tesla. (Can’t blame the market for that).

It is a mystery to me that Elon’s stated life goals, sustainability and multi-planetary life, seem to have taken a back seat to his current project.

Maybe in some respects that is a bullish sign that things at SpaceX and Tesla are on cruise control and under control. In some respects it helps reduce the market’s key man risk perspective if they see Tesla killing it even while Elon is focused elsewhere.

I’ve often worried about Elon’s oversized ownership in available TSLA shares. It puts the stock price too strongly in one person’s hands. The silver lining in Elon’s selling is that it helps diversify ownership of TSLA.

Once your machine is well-oiled, do you need a guy walking around and adding more oil to the machines on a daily basis?
Yes if enough buyers see the opportunity it'll offset the selling pressure but the thing is who wants to buy shares of a company that has a part time CEO who dumps millions of shares on the open market every year? The price action speaks for itself. Evidently not enough people.

While you may be happy with 7% (And I am too in a vacuum) I'm worried about future price movement in this bear market. The Nasdaq rallied 7% yesterday. What happens if it gives 3-4% of that back due to a bad CPI Print in December? Well we give back all 7%. Relative weakness sucks doesn't it.

People will probably disgree with this post but the share price action speaks for itself. I don't see anyone here stepping up to buy the 20+ million shares that Elon is dumping on the market even though it's at record low prices.