Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has 224 showrooms in the USA. If each has 4 cars in display,
that’s 896 demo cars. 750 barely covers that.
I'd be looking at the trend and trying to forecast what may be coming rather than focusing on current numbers in isolation, it really was not long ago that there were 0 vehicles available anywhere either used or new.

The trend has been pretty steady increases week over week

I’m sure the vast majority are incoming 2023 long range models which aren’t actually in inventory yet. (I’m waiting on one (nov22-dec20th) and have been keeping an eye on local inventory)
I have a plaid X on order but I'm stalking inventory like crazy to hopefully jump the queue. At order it said I'd get it in December but now shows Dec - Jan 11th and I need to take delivery before year end for tax reasons. 6klb vehicle weight 100% bonus depreciation ends this year. Next year it drops to 80%.

I'd be looking at the trend and trying to forecast what may be coming rather than focusing on current numbers in isolation, it really was not long ago that there were 0 vehicles available anywhere either used or new.

The trend has been pretty steady increases week over week
On Nov 9th it was 280 new vehicles FWIW.

I have a plaid X on order but I'm stalking inventory like crazy to hopefully jump the queue. At order it said I'd get it in December but now shows Dec - Jan 11th and I need to take delivery before year end for tax reasons. 6klb vehicle weight 100% bonus depreciation ends this year. Next year it drops to 80%.

On Nov 9th it was 280 new vehicles FWIW.
Sounds about right

I'm also watching this like a hawk but mostly the Y inventory numbers and then overall. I think EV-CPO was sitting at around 2,000 total available last week, now it's at almost 2,900. Seeing 600+ new Ys available globally is a new high as well, European inventory has been expanding more rapidly.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
Only those looking closely will get this at first, others, waiting for credit upgrades and similar signs will be catching a later bus to Happyville, but they will eventually make it to the bus stop. Even if only because they were swept up in the rush to get there.
I failed to get off this bus to the top of mount Yo-Semi-Tee on my last trip. So I'm just waiting for this same bus to loop again. Looks like a few got on, but ya never know. Maybe next stop. Would be pointless to get off, it's a long hike to the top.

Ok, I thought you were talking about a Model 3 LR, but that must be a Model Y LR?
model 3
Edit to add: in fact one should note the 2023 model 3’s so far only offer black interior and they appear to be selling fine with all other options mixed on.
Must need all the white seats for the model y demand which *I* find bullish.

Last edited:
It's a new battery design with a very new manufacturing process. Tesla will iterate on the 4680 and I'm confident it will eventually have more energy density than the 2170 cells. The big positive of the 4680's will be the manufacturing process, equating to very high volumes at high efficiencies.

This is just the beginning of the 4680 story. :cool:

Whether it has more energy or not isn't the point anyways. The ONLY problem with current battery cell technology is cost. People look at energy density as a proxy for reducing cell cost, but why use the proxy? Current energy densities are fine for automotive use. It is their cost that is the problem for widescale adoption. That's why the LFP cells, which have worse energy density, are being used so much by Tesla - they are cheaper.

As has been shown time and time again, all these wonderful silicon nanowire, solid state, etc. battery cells are useless if they don't end up being cheaper than current cells on an energy delivered basis.

The big innovation with the 4680 is reduced cost through a structural battery pack, dry battery electrode, and faster/cheaper manufacturing. Further innovations in 4680 technology will continue to reduce cost. Whether they'll also increase energy density is irrelevant except that too will reduce cost.

People hoping for the 4680 cells to somehow improve their vehicle are barking up the wrong tree (yeah, I know, the structural battery pack promises a stiffer body, but that isn't the reason they built it that way).

They haven't been taking orders for that for a while, so did you order in 2021? (More than a year ago.)
Yeah they have it was listed same way they are now in inventory but not yet built
Edit - dang it they made me wrong looked at one listed for sale now with same specs and it no longer specifies it isn’t built yet just says avail for pickup at location… which can’t be right or they’d certainly have called me up since I’m all finished with their steps .. weird

Last edited:
I'm enjoying our vacation so i haven't been following all the posts. We just got our MS cameras upgraded and now waiting for FSD beta like we already have in our other Teslas. So convenient to schedule a Service appointment hundreds of miles from home; love the Tesla service app. and the best service of any company IMO. Fast and super organized.
I use Twitter and got the following link there. Still looking for any competition; nope, don't see it. Looks like the MSM rags are going to become obsolete next. I don't miss there uninformed opinions.
Back to our trip; going to the beach riding our bikes. Relaxation is worth all the money in the world.

I'm enjoying our vacation so i haven't been following all the posts. We just got our MS cameras upgraded and now waiting for FSD beta like we already have in our other Teslas. So convenient to schedule a Service appointment hundreds of miles from home; love the Tesla service app. and the best service of any company IMO. Fast and super organized.
I use Twitter and got the following link there. Still looking for any competition; nope, don't see it. Looks like the MSM rags are going to become obsolete next. I don't miss there uninformed opinions.
Back to our trip; going to the beach riding our bikes. Relaxation is worth all the money in the world.

GM making sure their EV doesn't displace ICE.

No it’s not, because any time someone brings it up in the investor forum it’s deemed as off-topic, lol.

Having said that, I think probably everything on those topics has already been said.

While TSLA is clearly in the doldrums right now, I think investors should consider a few things:

1. It’s natural to want to give up on a stock and throw in the towel when it’s not doing well. This should only be considered if there are concerns about your thesis on the company itself. This is what shorts and manipulators want you to do. Recall that “sell low” is not part of a healthy investor strategy.

2. Has anything changed about Tesla, the company? No. They are on-track for a massive record this quarter, seemingly nearly catching up even with the shutdowns in Shanghai earlier this year.

3. Ask yourself: are recent downgrades such as those from Dan Ives really based on performance and health of the company? Of course not. Ives acted impulsively out of frustration, downgrading purely from Elon’s recent news. But Tesla the company is firing on all cylinders. This suggests to me that once the current news cycle has cooled off and things are more at a steady state, his price will return to reflect company performance.

4. It’s amazing that the market is *still* falling for the “competition is coming” thesis. Yes, competition is coming, as in “additional models coming to market”. But, (and this is a Sir Mix-a-Lot-sized but),

-Only Tesla is truly focusing on what’s needed to massively reduce cost and be prepared for massively-increased volumes.

Rivian has a cost problem. They’re working on additional models and factories without yet solving the cost problem. Little to no innovation in manufacturing.

Lucid has a cost problem. They’re working on additional models without yet solving the cost problem. Little to no innovation in manufacturing.

Ford has a cost problem. Same story.

GM has a cost problem.

All the OEMs except Tesla lack a unified, well-oiled charging network.

Only Tesla is actively pursuing vertically integrating the battery supply chain.

Only Tesla is developing new battery tech in-house, including DBE.

I could go on, but we’re kinda in the second “heads down, bust ass” stage of Tesla’s growth. The first was in the mid 2010s as they scaled up to volume manufacturing.

While all the others are tossing more announced car models at the problem (here’s looking at you, Mary Barra), or more batteries at the problem (hi, Lucid) or more manufacturing cost at the problem (hi almost everyone), Tesla is focused on doing the hard work now that will pay massive dividends in the not-too-distant future.

While ramping 4680 tech is not glamorous, and Wall Street is currently irrationally punishing them for Semi/4680 being “late”, ask yourself this:

-Will the Semi be profitable for trucking companies? If so, who else is making electric class 8 trucks? Ok, Nikola—kinda. But we know where that’s headed.

-Who else is working on their own revolutionary battery tech, AND bringing lithium refining in-house, AND probably bringing mining itself in-house?

Only Tesla. Because Tesla thinks 10 years down the road, not about propping the stock price up for the current quarter.

While this hard work can sometimes result in the stock price languishing for a while, it increases Tesla’s lead.

It’s analogous to two athletes. One spends all of his time making Nike ads and promoting his new shoes. The other spends his time practicing and working out.

Eventually the hard work pays off. It’s why no other private company has landed an orbital rocket and taken astronauts to space like SpaceX.

In the athlete analogy, which one do you think is going to win when they end up competing against each other?
And speaking of competition to rival Tesla Germany, this announcement from VW...

If the legacy US OEM’s weren’t still trying to slow roll the transition, I might agree with you both.

Let’s dismiss the perceived lack of quality assertions shall we?
* Lots of high quality electronics are made in China and sold in the US.
* The reputation of legacy Western OEM’s isn’t exactly stellar on EV’s or even in general.
* Tesla has sold Made in China cars in Germany.
* Japan once had a reputation for poor quality. They shook that off decisively.

Also, I’m only asserting that one or more Chinese car companies may sell vehicles in the US. The cars may be manufactured or assembled in the US or Mexico or Canada in highly automated factories honed in China and inspired by Tesla. They may sport the badging of a known-in-the-US brand (or not).

tl;dr: Those companies and countries that try to slow the transition rather than pursue it with a life-or-death urgency will lose.
Ha, sorry to say that any Chinese company who wants to manufacture in the US will be hit by a bag of lazy entitled and expensive workers compared to the what they are used to in China. The Chinese work like 14hr straight 6 days a week. It's built into the culture that time is money and shouldn't be wasted. Also the hierarchy of respect in China is defined by money and status, which bleeds into all sorts of social events like marriage. Then you have many who comes from nothing with not only a fire in their eyes but also an entire family to support out in the country side which is still extremely poor.

The reason why Musk's US workers work harder than normal is because he instilled a sense of urgency of duty into them with the mission. Also with him leading by example also helps. The Chinese didn't really need any mission...just make sure the pay is decent then they are good to go.

So companies like BYD or CATL may enjoy the margins they can obtain in China, but good luck in the U.S. This is why it's so hard to compete against poorer countries in manufacturing because the people are relentless when it comes to high productivity.
Actually I think that is not likely to be true.
In another country not famed for hardworking, diligent workers, Brazil, Ford just quit production there after 100 years. Otherwise many comments are made about the poor workforce there.

As for Chinese, many are producing in Brazil profitably and with high quality:
One, Chery, is locally built by CAOA, the producer of Hyundai as well. Chery has just won quality awards, and is making inroads even in competition with BMW and other high-prestige brands:
People always underestimate new entrants from improbable countries.
Toyota was the cheap and uncool 1967-ish Crown;
Honda was just like Toyota but tiny and stupid;
Hyundai was producer of a silly Pony.
I'm old enough to have personally driven and used a 1967 Toyota Crown, a 1966 Honda S600 and an early 1979 Hyundai Pony. They were all much better than their reputations, even then. Luckily for my net worth, I bought Honda ADR's with alacrity after I'd used my S600 for a few weeks.

Strangely most of us ignore new competitors even as we prosper due to the upstart success of Tesla. I cannot understand that myopia. There is no question in my mind that several Chinese competitors will enter the US market successfully, with North American content rules in full compliance. Counting suppliers I bet on CATL, BYD, Geely and SAIC plus LK (parent of IDRA) and too many other suppliers to count.

Regardless of geopolitical events these competitors are all technological leaders with strong and improving quality control and efficiency. Most of them are producing profitably in multiple countries. SAIC, in particular, shares with Geely a well established practice of buying prized international brands that have been falling on hard times, such as Volvo, MG and London Taxi (now LEVC). Those practices will continue, often while minimizing the parent firm.

Perhaps the most famous such case to us at TMC is that of IDRA, which is often totally positioned as Italian through and through.

One of the most spectacular cases for underestimation of new entrants is that of Boeing, now clearly and obviously surpassed by Airbus in commercial aircraft and by SpaceX in space.

We should not make Boeing's mistake, especially since they've now officially said they will not begin to develop any new aircraft until the 2030's.