Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What knowledgeable people doubted was that you could make a useful or affordable 500 mile semi. The always said it would be too heavy or too expensive.
500 miles in and of itself is not a technical challenge.

Tesla had not told us the weight and the cost of the semi. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt but others are not
BILL F'n GATES while not disclosing he is shorting TSLA.

To answer my own question, the video at the end showed the driver cruising at 55 mph. No doubt some faster and some slower speeds depending on traffic. I thought I heard the person beside Elon on stage (who was he, anyone know?) say something like 82 kph, which would be average 51 mph, which is about right for that distance in the time they took. I guess I could do a distance/time calculation taking into account the 1/2 hour break...
"Dan Priestley, Tesla Semi Program manager" according to Tesla Semi: Delivering a disruptive electric truck

Reactions: H Mak and Drax7
Hold on folks. Please look at % sales volume of Semi, not the count. As I recall from the show, there are "only ~200K" Semi's sold annually vs 10M cars. So as dents go, Semi only needs 1/50th the volume to match the pace of conversion to EVs on the Auto side.

What these small numbers do represent are batteries that are nearly 100% utilized. As missions go, they should build out Semi's over cars... until Robotaxi's.

With Tesla bringing a new megawatt charger to the consumer market (with Cybertruck and future products/refreshes), will this be a way for Tesla to challenge the CCS standard? CCS maxes out at 350kW and as far as I’m aware has no real pathway to get to this level. How could you keep on mandating an inferior plug standard if a new one could significantly reduce charging times?

Doing some Googling I found the Megawatt Charging System (MCS) which is currently being designed by a German company called CharIN. Maybe Tesla is trying to get a head start on the competition for this next global charging standard? Would love to hear some thoughts.

CharIN is not a company:
We are the leading global association with over 290 members dedicated to promote interoperability based on the Combined Charging System (CCS) as the global standard for charging vehicles of all kinds.
Ironically, Tesla is part of it ;)

Reactions: petit_bateau
Video cued to where they talk about the automatic clutches for the 2nd and 3rd Plaid motors for acceleration or grade duties. Previous to that time in the video they show the rigorous reliability testing. But yea, the auto clutches is pretty awesome.

If information I was told when I took delivery on my Plaid is correct, in normal cruise only one motors is used. 31:20 ff

During the semi delivery event at 31:20 ff they said the power electronics, inverters, HVAC and motors were all from existing Tesla practice and that the motors were Plaid motors. I think that the traction management systems are also combined with power management providing both traction and efficiency benefits.

One other thing makes me believe that these power management Semi elements already has been Tesla practice since early Model S. In ~2015 I drove an S70 from San Francisco to Atlanta. The car managed extraction from a snow bank that an adjacent Range Rover could not manage, but the RWD Tesla actually did. I was amazed! A thousand or so miles later the car had seriously reduced power so I ended out with the brand new Denver Service Center on a Saturday afternoon. The service manager asked me about my trip thus far, I told him about the snow and he said Tesla updated traction conditions 1,000 times per minute and that they were working to improve that. in 2018 I learned that my new Model 3P used only one motor in cruise.

That story was only to illustrate that Tesla is, as we all know, using a common OS for vehicles, but each is tweaked to suit the needs of each application. The very use of Plaid motors, for example, makes the very high loads needs for mountains and heavy loads, certain to be vastly more efficient and responsive. However, all that amazing capability is coming at a low price with high durability...from the outset!

One part that was left to our imagination is how they can have a megawatt charging station both Semi and Cybertruck able to absorb that power. Another was how those screens are able to accept all the previously uncoordinated reporting and monitoring needs. It seems to me that the five years have produced capabilities vastly beyond what was disclosed.

The direct implication of what we were told is that Semi is cheap to build, and benefits directly from pre-existing parts. It's very odd that such practices of using 'existing parts bins' normally are stifling innovation. For Tesla though, that just means they can iterate everything more quickly.

Now I'd really want to know how the autopilot works and how they'll be able to implement convoys. How quickly can production ramp to 100,000 per annum? How easily can they configure for, say, Australian Road Trains?

This is more exciting than I ever thought it could be.

No, it doesn't. I'm not sure they'll do more than a few hundred next year. 50K units in 2024? This whole program looks very fishy.

1) My guess is that the truck weighs at least 5K pounds more than a standard tractor.

2) It's not listed for sale.

3) The specs aren't shown.

4) No warranty information. How many 100K plus batteries will it take to operate a million miles? Can the batteries be fixed or does one little problem mean total replacement?

5) I'll bet if you call them up they won't give you a spec sheet, price or delivery date. I'd love to be wrong ... maybe somebody will try that?

6) Where is the factory that will produce it? One a day ain't gonna do it.

The problem is, this looks like a "soft launch." Closer to building prototypes than actually entering production.

My guess is they don't have the battery supply to enter full production. That it'll be many years before they do have the batteries.

If you're building spreadsheets to model Semi sales and profits ... you'll be wrong.

Doesn't bode well for the 4680 ramp.

Have a nice day.

1. If the semi is using 2170 cells at this time, and we use old data (Tesla is likely more efficient now): The model Y long range uses 4416 cells to create a 75kWh pack. If the semi has a 1MWh pack, that's about 13 and 1/3 Model Y long range packs. So about 58,880 cells. Each cell weighs 68 grams. Total battery cells weight in this example is just over 4 million grams or about 8,827 pounds of battery cells. The Model Y long range motor weighs about 99 pounds. I couldn't find a weight for the carbon-wrapped motors, but assume it's slightly heavier so I'll estimate 100 pounds each. That bring the weight to 9,127 pounds for battery cells and motors. Add a few hundred pounds for housing / drive train components, but the question is where to draw the line to compare to removing the diesel engine and transmission. Some drive components may be similar / required in both. For this example, I'll round up to 10,000 pounds for the electric drive train. Perhaps that is low.

The average weight I found on Google for a class 8 truck diesel engine is 2,880 pounds. The figure I found for transmission weight is about 800 pounds. The fuel tanks typically have a capacity between 120 and 160 gallons. Some trucks have two tanks, so starting fuel could range from 120 gallons to 320 gallons. Fuel is consumed so weight changes during the trip. I'll target a value of 100 gallons of fuel to be conservative. Diesel weighs about 7 pounds per gallon, so another 700 pounds of weight for average fuel. That brings me 4,380 pounds for diesel drive train. I don't have a good idea of other components to factor in.

From that example, the EV semi would weigh about 5,600 pounds more than the diesel semi. I have no doubt Tesla did some optimizing on weight of the cab creature comforts and frame. The law allows EV semis to be 2,000 pounds heavier than a diesel semi. In a max weight scenario, and if my figures are close, then the diesel could haul about 3,000 more pounds of cargo than the EV semi. When fuel and maintenance costs are factored in, I suspect the EV semi becomes the obvious cost effective choice, even with a smaller cargo capacity, by weight.

I'm open to corrections for my estimates.

4. Elon previously stated they would have a 1,000,000 mile warranty (if I recall from the video years ago). It also has stronger windshield glass that is more resistant to breaking, less maintenance requirements, and will include Tesla's software safety features, which can help reduce liability / insurance costs.

Not saying it isn't - BUT - we bashed the Taycan for having clutches&gears as a raliability burdon - now on a semi that does much more milage it begs the question of reliability for me. It should be possible to have induction motors that can free-spin without current so no clutch needed - I smell a tradeoff here, not saying that it is a showstopper, but a tradeoff never the less.
I don't think so. Tesla has done that since the Model 3 AWD. We were a trifle surprised when Priestly said 'clutches'. Those are almost 100% certain to be software, rather than hardware, just as with current AWD Tesla practice. FWIW, that is one reason the Plaid cars have astounding efficiency at moderate constant speeds and regularly surpass EPA numbers in highway driving. Semi probably is a Plaid to manage high torque loads and still a Plaid for motor management overall.

They told us as much at 31:00 and following.

Can we all stop speculating about the truck having less weight payload than a diesel truck?

In the 2020 and 2021 Impact Reports Tesla has already answered this, saying that the truck can carry MORE, at least after factoring in the higher legal weight limit. Tesla has not disclosed how much more, but they have unambiguously said it will be at least as much weight. If you want to say otherwise, please explain how you concluded Tesla was either wrong or lying.

we expect the payload to be at least as high as it would be for a diesel truck”

Last edited:
They also didn’t reiterate the $0.07 / kWh rate for Megacharging, nor the charging speed from the reveal ( 0.5 hrs to 80%). That would take close to 1.6 MW if consumption is close to 2 kWh / mile, and they only referenced 1 MW for V4.
Anyone else really like the new V4 charging cable technology? The two current carrying wires are in a water bath, and the water is returned back in separate water pipes. So cool...

View attachment 880370
Maybe the ampacity graph gives the answer to my own question on whether they can theoretically hit 0-80% 30 minute charge on the 500 mile version ( along with the new 1.7 kWh / mile consumption revelation).

V4 at 35 amps per mm^2 / V3 at 13 amps per mm^2 gives V4 a 2.7X current capacity advantage for the same size connector.

480 V3 volts / 1000 V4 volts means equivalent power requires ~ 0.5X as much current

Those two factors would yield an ampacity limited power 5.4X of V3 = 1.35 MW. (Providing V3 is at its ampacity limit at 250 kW).

1.35 MW * 0.5 hours time charging / 1.7 kWh per mile = 395 miles per 30 minutes charge. 80% on the nose!

I love it when numbers work!

Feel free to check or chime in on my math.

I don't think so. Tesla has done that since the Model 3 AWD. We were a trifle surprised when Priestly said 'clutches'. Those are almost 100% certain to be software, rather than hardware, just as with current AWD Tesla practice. FWIW, that is one reason the Plaid cars have astounding efficiency at moderate constant speeds and regularly surpass EPA numbers in highway driving. Semi probably is a Plaid to manage high torque loads and still a Plaid for motor management overall.

They told us as much at 31:00 and following.
I may be misunderstanding you, but those are definitely software controlled mechanical disconnects on the drive axles.
SmartSelect_20221202_120816_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20221202_120913_Firefox.jpg

I don't think so. Tesla has done that since the Model 3 AWD. We were a trifle surprised when Priestly said 'clutches'. Those are almost 100% certain to be software, rather than hardware, just as with current AWD Tesla practice.
No. They specifically said that they completely disconnect the motors so that they don't spin at all when not in use. (And they showed the disconnect method, which looks a lot like what is used to "disconnect" the front axels on 4WD trucks. It might even be similar to how Rivian is disconnecting the rear motors on the R1T/R1S, I don't recall exactly.)

What knowledgeable people doubted was that you could make a useful or affordable 500 mile semi. The always said it would be too heavy or too expensive.
Umm…the CEO of Daimler Trucks, one of the world’s biggest semi truck manufacturers?

If Tesla really delivers on this promise, we’ll obviously buy two trucks — one to take apart and one to test because if that [500 mile range] happens, something has passed us by. But for now, the same laws of physics apply in Germany and in California.

500 miles in and of itself is not a technical challenge.
Yes it is. That’s the main reason why no one has done it before. Assuming we mean 500 miles with same payload as diesel.

1. If the semi is using 2170 cells at this time, and we use old data (Tesla is likely more efficient now): The model Y long range uses 4416 cells to create a 75kWh pack. If the semi has a 1MWh pack, that's about 13 and 1/3 Model Y long range packs. So about 58,880 cells. Each cell weighs 68 grams. Total battery cells weight in this example is just over 4 million grams or about 8,827 pounds of battery cells. The Model Y long range motor weighs about 99 pounds. I couldn't find a weight for the carbon-wrapped motors, but assume it's slightly heavier so I'll estimate 100 pounds each. That bring the weight to 9,127 pounds for battery cells and motors. Add a few hundred pounds for housing / drive train components, but the question is where to draw the line to compare to removing the diesel engine and transmission. Some drive components may be similar / required in both. For this example, I'll round up to 10,000 pounds for the electric drive train. Perhaps that is low.

The average weight I found on Google for a class 8 truck diesel engine is 2,880 pounds. The figure I found for transmission weight is about 800 pounds. The fuel tanks typically have a capacity between 120 and 160 gallons. Some trucks have two tanks, so starting fuel could range from 120 gallons to 320 gallons. Fuel is consumed so weight changes during the trip. I'll target a value of 100 gallons of fuel to be conservative. Diesel weighs about 7 pounds per gallon, so another 700 pounds of weight for average fuel. That brings me 4,380 pounds for diesel drive train. I don't have a good idea of other components to factor in.

From that example, the EV semi would weigh about 5,600 pounds more than the diesel semi. I have no doubt Tesla did some optimizing on weight of the cab creature comforts and frame. The law allows EV semis to be 2,000 pounds heavier than a diesel semi. In a max weight scenario, and if my figures are close, then the diesel could haul about 3,000 more pounds of cargo than the EV semi. When fuel and maintenance costs are factored in, I suspect the EV semi becomes the obvious cost effective choice, even with a smaller cargo capacity, by weight.

I'm open to corrections for my estimates.

4. Elon previously stated they would have a 1,000,000 mile warranty (if I recall from the video years ago). It also has stronger windshield glass that is more resistant to breaking, less maintenance requirements, and will include Tesla's software safety features, which can help reduce liability / insurance costs.
You are way high on weight of semi drivetrain I think. Use 1.7 kw/mile and you’ll end up with smaller than 1000 MWh battery pack. No sleeper can either. Saves a lot of weight.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and JRP3
Umm…the CEO of Daimler Trucks, one of the world’s biggest semi truck manufacturers?

Yes it is. That’s the main reason why no one has done it before. Assuming we mean 500 miles with same payload as diesel.
That poster is trolling us, acting like all the skepticism heaped on the Semi for years never existed.

U.S. Nov. jobs numbers may have come in hot, but Ford's Nov. Auto sales were not:

Ford auto sales decline 7.8% year-over-year in November | CNBC Television on Youtube

100% growth for their EV's when you're starting base is so low is pretty damn pathetic.

In relation to Tesla's current growth, Ford needs to be growing their EV sales by more like 1000%......not 100%......just to not fall further and further behind.

You are way high on weight of semi drivetrain I think. Use 1.7 kw/mile and you’ll end up with smaller than 1000 MWh battery pack. No sleeper can either. Saves a lot of weight.
1.7 x 500 miles gets you 850kWh used.
Running rough numbers from the 500 mile trip chart (impact of SOC due to altitude change), I come up with around a 975 kWh pack.

If information I was told when I took delivery on my Plaid is correct, in normal cruise only one motors is used. 31:20 ff

During the semi delivery event at 31:20 ff they said the power electronics, inverters, HVAC and motors were all from existing Tesla practice and that the motors were Plaid motors. I think that the traction management systems are also combined with power management providing both traction and efficiency benefits.

One other thing makes me believe that these power management Semi elements already has been Tesla practice since early Model S. In ~2015 I drove an S70 from San Francisco to Atlanta. The car managed extraction from a snow bank that an adjacent Range Rover could not manage, but the RWD Tesla actually did. I was amazed! A thousand or so miles later the car had seriously reduced power so I ended out with the brand new Denver Service Center on a Saturday afternoon. The service manager asked me about my trip thus far, I told him about the snow and he said Tesla updated traction conditions 1,000 times per minute and that they were working to improve that. in 2018 I learned that my new Model 3P used only one motor in cruise.

That story was only to illustrate that Tesla is, as we all know, using a common OS for vehicles, but each is tweaked to suit the needs of each application. The very use of Plaid motors, for example, makes the very high loads needs for mountains and heavy loads, certain to be vastly more efficient and responsive. However, all that amazing capability is coming at a low price with high durability...from the outset!

One part that was left to our imagination is how they can have a megawatt charging station both Semi and Cybertruck able to absorb that power. Another was how those screens are able to accept all the previously uncoordinated reporting and monitoring needs. It seems to me that the five years have produced capabilities vastly beyond what was disclosed.

The direct implication of what we were told is that Semi is cheap to build, and benefits directly from pre-existing parts. It's very odd that such practices of using 'existing parts bins' normally are stifling innovation. For Tesla though, that just means they can iterate everything more quickly.

Now I'd really want to know how the autopilot works and how they'll be able to implement convoys. How quickly can production ramp to 100,000 per annum? How easily can they configure for, say, Australian Road Trains?

This is more exciting than I ever thought it could be.
One would hope that this additional product using Plaid motors might help them move down the Wright’s Law curve, given that Plaid S/X is a relatively low volume product.

edit: i.e., I want a Model 3 Plaid

Last edited:
Btw......just to point it out, Troy already trying to lay the ground work for his "pivot" where he dramatically raises his delivery estimate in the final couple of weeks of the quarter.

Just like China price cuts, he'll try and control the narrative that was part of his process even though we all here, quarters ago, said that A) Tesla would do price cuts on the China when the Shanghai updates were complete and B) Tesla would do a temporary price drop in the US at the end of the year.