Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guess what that is?!

View attachment 394978

A roof on GF3!

I have no expertise whatsoever in civil engineering for industrial facilities, but I was wondering about these roof sections... They seem to use a lot of metal, possibly more than necessary for just a roof (low structural load sections). I get that it's the use of geometry and leverage with all those struts, but it seems excessive. I'm probably wrong about this, but I was hoping someone could explain why these sections are so intricate and take up so much volume.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Question: Long run, what do you think the ratio of Model 3/Y to Model S/X unit sales to be?

I'm inclined to this this will be about 10 to 1 at the high end or 5 to 1 at the low. In Q1, Tesla delivered 50.9k Model 3 to 12.1k Model S/X, a ratio of 4.2 to 1. This makes sense in the short run, but as logistics smooth out and production of Model 3 catches up with demand, this can converge to a much higher ratio. Long run the ratio will simply reflect the ratio at which orders arrive.

I think one implication of this view is that we should tolerate a decline in Model S/X while Model 3/Y is ramping up volume. For example, suppose we get to a Model 3/Y run rate of 500k/y. Should we be worried if this in equilibrium with a 50k/y run rate for Model S/X? Perhaps not, because continuing on to a 1.5M/y run rate with Model 3/Y could remain in equilibrium with a 150k/y run rate for Model S/X.

I do think it is premature to imagine that the Model S/X are obsolete. They do need to be continuously refreshed to stay current with the state of technology, but that would be true of Model 3/Y as well. I view true obsolescence as being so far behind that staying current with the technology is not feasible or simply too costly. That may be true of a good number ICE vehicles, but I don't see that for Model S/X within the foreseeable future. Rather I believe there is persistent demand for the larger, more premium vehicles that the Model S/X are relative to Model 3/Y. So the two classes of vehicle have their respective segments to satisfy, and so long run there is some finite ratio of demand for both.

So right now, we are at transitional moment, where the newness and limited supply of Model 3 may be creating some turbulence for Model S/X, but in due time consumers will tell us in what ratio they wish to order these products. The key issue is to keep pushing the total scale of vehicle production and delivery upward. Then we will be rather indifferent to product mix ratios making solid number on each line.

With the Fiat-Tesla pooling news, I thought it would be interesting to contrast it with the ever increasing amount of natural gas being burned off in the Permian and North Dakota basins. US energy independence is good, but at what cost?

From today's WSJ:
"Frackers, Chasing Fast Oil Output, Are on a Treadmill: With more oil wells front-loaded to boost output, many companies will have to drill again soon—and find new capital to keep production up"
  • Shale companies from Texas to North Dakota have been managing their wells to maximize short-term oil production
  • By front-loading the wells to boost early oil output, many companies have been able to accelerate growth.
  • Wells are producing oil much faster than just a few years ago—and that means they taper off faster and generate huge amounts of natural gas. That has led to depressed gas prices in West Texas and record volumes of natural gas burned.
  • Another side effect of front-loaded wells: They are unleashing enormous amounts of natural gas. That’s because gas escapes more easily than oil from underground reservoirs as pressure falls.
  • Large quantities are also going up in smoke, as companies burn gas they cannot move or sell, a practice known as flaring. Operators in the Permian and North Dakota burned more than 1 billion cubic feet of gas daily in October, according to public data and Rystad Energy. The resulting greenhouse-gas emissions are equivalent to the daily exhaust from about 6.9 million cars, according to estimates from the World Bank and Environmental Protection Agency.
Also including Texas light pollution map from gas flares (not in article). Note bright areas near Odessa in north-west Texas and Eagle Ford shale lights south of San Antonio.

Sorry, don't want to bring this too far off-topic, but just want to note the huge impact- equivalent to almost 7 million cars.

View attachment 394975

View attachment 394977

OT
Great post.

Flaring is for bitcoin miners?

OnT

I see three big volume bars today? Any thoughts?

@Dutchie . I spend a lot of time researching the FUD, and while there are definite issues to be settled, I am just adding a few here and there because the FUD makes me angry(true “FUD”). Truth will prevail. HW3, V3. If HW3, grid storage and solar Tesla is not at a better point by August Then I will be more nervous. Until then for me at least, this is all noise. Tesla is changing the world. Already some of the narrative is changing(Fox bussiness-MSM). The FUD will not stop.

Last edited:
Reactions: guidooo
I am a big supporter of Tesla. I own one and bought stock. About 25% of my portfolio is in TSLA. I bought it last year at about $290, believing in the imminent rise of the stock due to increased production. "Short burn of the century"
It didn't materialize and since last quarters deliveries and especially production numbers I am getting cold feet.

My stock are under water and I am at loss what to do. My stock are for a study plan for my kidsI don't need to cash it for another year as my oldest daughter is only going to college next year. Shall I take my loss now before the stock tanks further or is there still hope they will recover. Some things that make me nervous:

- how come that M3 is still not sustainable at 5,000 per week - let alone 6,7, or even 8,000 a week?

- what is it with all these pictures with dust covered cars?

- I see people on YouTube ordering a car only to be called by Tesla within hours that they have a deal for a new 2018 M3. So there is a big stock?

- what is indeed the story with the solar roof? Absolutely nothing is happening there

- suddenly, after years, there is a big push in Software. I don't believe in coincidences. So this in combination with the bad sales and production figures makes me suspicious. Are they trying to change the focus?

-all these restless strategies around pricing of cars and software seems very nervous and not reassuring at all

I could probably think of more.

Am I alone this? Just wondering what other people think and are considering doing

Getting into Tesla’s stock(or any stock, really) with a 1-year horizon is most likely a bad idea. It’s highly volatile(both up and down). Since you bought last year at 290, that means you’ve already seen both high and low of that range(you could have sold at ~$370/share in December for a nice 28% gain).

For the rest, you ask a lot of questions; I’ll answer some of them as I see them:

“Dust covered cars” are meaningless. They’re producing thousands of cars a week. There’s going to be some waiting until they can be transported at various locations.

The YouTube bit is anecdotes. I haven’t seen them, myself, but it’s not too surprising there were some left over 3’s(we know they made ~12k more than they delivered and no more than 10,600 were already spoken for). They also make them in blocks instead of built-to-order, so there could be some specific specs that didn’t have buyers already.

The software bit isn’t suddenly at all. They’ve been focused on software; AP/FSD in particular since 2014. I’m baffled why you’d think this is new.

I am a big supporter of Tesla. I own one and bought stock. About 25% of my portfolio is in TSLA. I bought it last year at about $290, believing in the imminent rise of the stock due to increased production. "Short burn of the century"
It didn't materialize and since last quarters deliveries and especially production numbers I am getting cold feet.

My stock are under water and I am at loss what to do. My stock are for a study plan for my kidsI don't need to cash it for another year as my oldest daughter is only going to college next year. Shall I take my loss now before the stock tanks further or is there still hope they will recover. Some things that make me nervous:

- how come that M3 is still not sustainable at 5,000 per week - let alone 6,7, or even 8,000 a week?

- I see people on YouTube ordering a car only to be called by Tesla within hours that they have a deal for a new 2018 M3. So there is a big stock?

- what is indeed the story with the solar roof? Absolutely nothing is happening there

- suddenly, after years, there is a big push in Software. I don't believe in coincidences. So this in combination with the bad sales and production figures makes me suspicious. Are they trying to change the focus?

-all these restless strategies around pricing of cars and software seems very nervous and not reassuring at all

Am I alone this? Just wondering what other people think and are considering doing
I think you should sell covered calls to consistently lower your cost basis.

While I agree 100% with your statement above, I ~really~ just appreciate that you understand legitimate reasons to short companies....

There can be many reasons, of course, but sometimes, it can be just because the company has a flawed product, and it kills people...
Sadly.... :-/
BS. There is ZERO reason to allow shorting. Monkeys throwing darts have as much chance of being right as shorts in identifying flawed products.

You can't substitute vigorous regulations with shorting.

If you are doubtful, just book your losses for peace of mind. Otherwise most of your points can be explained.

Tesla has crossed a major hurdle with Model 3 production reaching stability. Paying back 900m in cash has also proved the resiliency. One thing is that Elon musk never takes the solvency aspect lightly (as much as people joked on bankwuptcy) and paying cash for debt wouldn’t have happened if solvency was an issue.

But unless you are in for a long term, short term issues may shake your confidence. I am in for long term so these things annoy me but don’t shake me.

Last edited:

Dutchie,
If you are asking for advice on what you should do with your TSLA shares for your specific situation, you have come to the wrong place. I suggest you contact a professional financial advisor that is recommended by your friends and/or family, not an anonymous on-line forum such as TMC.

Why did you invest in Tesla? If it was to get rich quick, then perhaps TSLA with its well known volatility is not your best choice, nor would you be considered an investor. Owning shares does not make one an investor. If you put your capital long term for future growth investing in Tesla, under the belief that you supported Tesla's mission statement, that of providing sustainable transportation to the masses, and helping our planet by reducing production of greenhouse gases, then TSLA is the place for you. It will take time, and suggest you have timeframe of a few years.

If you honestly believe Tesla has a demand problem with their cars (even after owning one as you state you do), then I suggest you sell your TSLA today. One should not be losing sleep over their investment decisions. Not an advice.

Last edited:
O.T. - Wonderful allegorical response @jhm - both funny and yet very applicable to my comment (for which I sincerely apologize if it offended anyone) because of a cubit's architectural significance throughout history....there is absolutely no need for it to be of 'standard length' when used properly.....and from it and the use of basic Geometry using a point within a circle and two parallel lines some of the greatest buildings, temples, and cathedrals have been constructed with such accuracy that we still rarely see today..........all prior to a calculator.
No worries. I think the Musk saga is an epic story. I should hope that 1000 years from now people are still telling this story, the story about how humanity confronted its own existential potential to ruin the planet. I can't imagine that the hoards of trolls who stood in the way of securing a good future would be remembered kindly by those who must live with those consequences 1000 years from now. It is a heroic moment for the human race or it will have been our most cowardly. We absolutely need that view of how distant generations will remember us.

There haven't been any good explanations why Tesla didn't produce more in Q1. Were there production issues or was it purposeful because of seasonal demand issues? or both? We probably won't find out the answer for a few more weeks in the shareholder letter and conference call.
I saw the same thing on reddit. It did seem like there were a lot of late 2018 Model 3s still sitting around in lots that they were trying to clear out at the end of Q1. Not sure if it's still a problem today.

Now that Model 3 ramp is relatively stable, Tesla has said that 2019 will see a push on the solar front.

I have no expertise whatsoever in civil engineering for industrial facilities, but I was wondering about these roof sections... They seem to use a lot of metal, possibly more than necessary for just a roof (low structural load sections). I get that it's the use of geometry and leverage with all those struts, but it seems excessive. I'm probably wrong about this, but I was hoping someone could explain why these sections are so intricate and take up so much volume.
A couple things:
  • The span on the support members to create a large open floor plan requires a large structural member to support that span. Hence the truss style frames
  • The span is much larger than it looks due to drone footage and not actually being there in person
  • The roof will have to carry some load: solar panels and heavy rain and wind
  • The open sections of the truss will be used for infrastructure. Wires, ducting, even possibly equipment

With the Fiat-Tesla pooling news, I thought it would be interesting to contrast it with the ever increasing amount of natural gas being burned off in the Permian and North Dakota basins. US energy independence is good, but at what cost?

From today's WSJ:
"Frackers, Chasing Fast Oil Output, Are on a Treadmill: With more oil wells front-loaded to boost output, many companies will have to drill again soon—and find new capital to keep production up"
  • Shale companies from Texas to North Dakota have been managing their wells to maximize short-term oil production
  • By front-loading the wells to boost early oil output, many companies have been able to accelerate growth.
  • Wells are producing oil much faster than just a few years ago—and that means they taper off faster and generate huge amounts of natural gas. That has led to depressed gas prices in West Texas and record volumes of natural gas burned.
  • Another side effect of front-loaded wells: They are unleashing enormous amounts of natural gas. That’s because gas escapes more easily than oil from underground reservoirs as pressure falls.
  • Large quantities are also going up in smoke, as companies burn gas they cannot move or sell, a practice known as flaring. Operators in the Permian and North Dakota burned more than 1 billion cubic feet of gas daily in October, according to public data and Rystad Energy. The resulting greenhouse-gas emissions are equivalent to the daily exhaust from about 6.9 million cars, according to estimates from the World Bank and Environmental Protection Agency.
Also including Texas light pollution map from gas flares (not in article). Note bright areas near Odessa in north-west Texas and Eagle Ford shale lights south of San Antonio.

Sorry, don't want to bring this too far off-topic, but just want to note the huge impact- equivalent to almost 7 million cars.

View attachment 394975

View attachment 394977
This is very much on topic at the Shorting Oil thread. Hope you join us there.

There haven't been any good explanations why Tesla didn't produce more in Q1. Were there production issues or was it purposeful because of seasonal demand issues? or both?

Once again, would you rather they have delivered 63k and made 77k, or delivered 66k and made 90-100k and added a billlion dollars FCF loss?

Lots of people keep saying this, implying that Tesla could have produced more Model 3s if only they had more cash on hand for working capital.

But we’re always being told that Model 3 production growth has a positive impact on working capital cashflow (I.e. payables days are longer than raw materials plus WIP plus days to deliver).

I’m confused why more people don’t see this situation at the least, as a misstep? If you have the demand and the working capital flexibility, you don’t care whether on the 31st of the month those cars have been delivered or else are in transit to customers that have paid a non-refundable deposit. Sales are sales.

Q1 results will hopefully shed some light on all this.

Tesla is a public company. They live by the quarterly cycle. It sucks, and it's one of the reasons why they wanted to go private.

Tesla says GF3 battery module production will be online this year, concurrent with stamping, joining, paint and final assembly.

"In the initial phase of Gigafactory Shanghai, we expect to have stamping, paint shop, body joining, and general assembly shops in operation by the end of 2019. " - not pack assembly. Packs for this year need to come from GF1. So, yes, the hypothesis that Tesla has incentive to stock up on packs now (within the constraints of a couple hundred million in costs, and storage needs) so as to avoid needing to increase pack production capacity later in the year, is plausible. That doesn't mean that it's right, but it is a plausible hypothesis.

Last edited:
Once again, would you rather they have delivered 63k and made 77k, or delivered 66k and made 90-100k and added a billlion dollars FCF loss?

I would have guessed at least some incremental production increase in Model 3s for Q1 compared to Q4. I wasn't ever expecting 90k to 100k Model 3s for Q1. Probably many here were expecting in 80k+ territory for Model 3 production in Q1.

From today's WSJ:

View attachment 394975

View attachment 394977
**** them. Tesla would need to build cars for another 4 or 5 years just to offset their waste.

I would have guessed at least some incremental production increase in Model 3s for Q1 compared to Q4. I wasn't ever expecting 90k to 100k Model 3s for Q1. Probably many here were expecting in 80k+ territory for Model 3 production in Q1.

So you wanted the 80-90k range? You would have preferred half a billion in extra FCF losses?