Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Kyle is pretty fair from all I've seen.

Perhaps Pepsi didn't want the usual Tesla circus?
Thats not Kyle. Kyle is "out of specs"
Kilowatts is Ryan, he´s an ex Tesla employee with excellent contacts and loyality. Very strange.
frame0.jpg

I don’t care that you put a /s. If you need to use a /s then you suck at /s and therefore I can ignore it entirely.
I don't care that you don't care that i care to use a /s or that i care that you don't care that i suck at /s and I don't care that you can ignore it entirely for all i care :) Don't you care more now?

Oh btw.... /s

I didn't see a plaid powertrain coming for the Semi. Did anyone see that coming? I thought it was Model 3 motors.

Seems to me, that could be a reason for a substantial fraction of the production delay as the clutch doesn't look that difficult/complex.

I'm hoping to get a production ramp update on the Semi for Q4 earnings. Until then, I hold my opinions.

I think as an esteemed poster here used to say...."it's the batteries stupid"

They probably didn't have battery capacity till recently.
Speculation: They did not have the $40k incentive until recently, that is when they shifted gears. Battery tech and volume is and was bottleneck, likely CT was fast tracked over Semi until inflation-aggravation-program had been pushed through and changed priorities.

I think as an esteemed poster here used to say...."it's the batteries stupid"

They probably didn't have battery capacity till recently.
That is the advantage of building at Nevada, they can use 2170 cells if they don't need those cells for 3/Y.

Up to now, they have needed those cells for 3/Y.

My final thought is the the curved glass windscreen might be tricky to ramp and ship,

However, a semi load could carry glass windscreens to build more semis than could be built by a semi load of batteries,.

Ideally they would want to make the glass windscreen and the same location as the final semi factory.

I have no idea what is involved in making a curved glass windscreen of that size, but the fundamental process is probably no different to a regular car windscreen.

Austin might eventually be cranking out 4680s in high volumes, have the ability to make the motors and the glass windscreen.

But for now, focusing on Cybertruck at Austin seems sensible,.

I didn't see a plaid powertrain coming for the Semi. Did anyone see that coming? I thought it was Model 3 motors.

Seems to me, that could be a reason for a substantial fraction of the production delay as the clutch doesn't look that difficult/complex.

I'm hoping to get a production ramp update on the Semi for Q4 earnings. Until then, I hold my opinions.
Seems to me this Plaid drive and clutch set up may find it way into more models, definitely the higher end models,

It is a great way to add cruising range without sacrificing peak power.

I have no idea what is involved in making a curved glass windscreen of that size, but the fundamental process is probably no different to a regular car windscreen.
I have stories about the Model X front windscreen. It was really hard to make, took several trips to Chile (which another PM did, thank goodness) and a whole lot of convincing of the 3rd party that all the new equipment/processes we were spec'ing would be worth the investment. The AP had to manage this due to needing "A" glass in front of the cameras. When the glass is bent it distorts images and causes bleeding through the laminate (creates starry scenes with point light)

OT: I think I just made a couple future tesla sales. I sent my electric bill to 3 friends that have asked me about how much it cost to charge my Model Y. I think the visual made it click. Even with my EV, on the TOU plan I switched to, my electric bill was still less then theirs (I drove only about 700 miles last month). One immediately called me saying there has to be a mistake. 🤙

Last edited:
I suggest that we wait for reports and likely eventual photos/videos of the line in action.

They would not have had a production line tour featuring 5 guys standing around building stuff by hand in a large empty shed.

I think 50K at Nevada will happen, perhaps the factory will eventually ramp to 100K per year.

The only reason to build a temporary line somewhere and a permanent line at another location elsewhere might be workforce.

With the exception of the cab the semi is a lot of off the shelf components and right angles.

I have always expected that the cab is lightweight and might be moulded, with a frame made of joined castings.

We don't know if the semi construction needs stamping and a conventional paintshop.

The slow ramp is hard to tally with a production line. But it isn't that much slower than Model 3 production hell.

A slow ramp gives more time to find and fix early production issues.

One consideration is if the water and housing issues at Sparks have eased to the point where an adequate workforce can be recruited.

We know that the Tesla operation at Sparks is running much smoother than it was in the production hell days.

Did anybody here see the production line? I thought they gave a tour. Is it capable of eventually producing 150 units per day? Or is it more suited to 1 per day?

1.7 x 500 miles gets you 850kWh used.
Running rough numbers from the 500 mile trip chart (impact of SOC due to altitude change), I come up with around a 975 kWh pack.

Given 93% of pack used (97%-4%) and precision of stated energy consumption (+/-0.05KWh/mi) gives a pack size estimate of 913 KWh +/-27 KWh.

Regen net losses due to altitude change could be defined as part of the test, as is any stop'n'go traffic, and variation in cruise speed. But yes, their inclusion in this route implies the pack is slightly larger than nominal (as above).

As long as other test drives compare EV trucks on this same route, it's a valid real-world test.

Cheers!

Did anybody here see the production line? I thought they gave a tour. Is it capable of eventually producing 150 units per day? Or is it more suited to 1 per day?
They gave a tour, but so far no details have leaked out,.

This suggests an NDA, and vetting of those invited in advance.

There could be multiple potential reasons for wanting secrecy, or secrecy could just be due to those who happened to be invited,

What we know is, details like this eventually leak out.

A decent article on foxnews about the semi event.

Pepsi expects 36 deliveries this year.
PepsiCo reserved 100 Semis after its 2017 reveal and two with the company's livery were at the event. A spokesperson later told Fox News Digital it expects to receive 36 trucks total by the end of December.