Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this a guess or was this published somewhere? Source?
Jerome Guillen PhD dissertation at University if Michigan
Snecma (now Safran) was the data source/sponsor of his work, focused on turbine blade stability;

The Safran geared open rotor turbofan was in development when the Guillen work was done although the illustrations and topic dealt with rotor blade vibration damping. These engines use highly robust clutches primarily in engine starting and APU management, but these operations are in highly precise,, hot and high velocity conditions. All modern large turbines have similar issues, but the open rotor geared turbines only recently have been practical because of these constraints.
1670113697965.jpeg

The relevance to Tesla is that these applications work in large part by synchronizing speeds without load allowing clutches to be robust and durable.

How these principles were adapted to facilitate Semi power management has nit been disclosed.

So....nothing, got it. Maybe don't clutter the thread with complaints when there is nothing more important to discuss. Semi is the latest and greatest product from the company in which we are all invested, nothing could be more on topic.
There were 155 posts about Semi in the first 10 pages after the start of Elon's presentation(*). I just went and counted them. It took me 20 minutes just to do that. There have been 30 pages of posts in that time. Yes, I wish people put stuff in the correct thread in the first place, and if I had been around on Thursday evening I might have tried to do something to cause that to happen, but by the time I got to do anything on Friday morning it was a hopeless cause.

(*): 30 posts per page, some already deleted for various reasons, and some of them were strictly about 1000V charging, and a smattering of other subjects. Was the charging discussion about the Semi, or about the reveal that Cybertruck would use it too, or just about charging in general? This is a tough judgement call. Should there be a 1000V charging thread? Is it any wonder that mods get tired of being called out for doing work that others should have already done, or alternatively for not doing it, or not being fair, or not being perfect? Maybe I'll retire again. Getting very frustrated.

Last edited:
The curious part is that this forum expert panel seem to think that Tesla's engineering team are idiots that must have ommited several aspects of basic design and the semi is a prototype that simply sucks.
I like to use their opinions as a way to grow my Ignore list. Makes reading this investor’s thread more enjoyable without their “concerned opinions”. Not advice, but maybe some people should stop feeding the trolls?

So....nothing, got it. Maybe don't clutter the thread with complaints when there is nothing more important to discuss. Semi is the latest and greatest product from the company in which we are all invested, nothing could be more on topic.
You've gone off track, confused me with someone else.
While I might marvel at how some insist their speculation is accurate when we all know it's based on unknowns, I keep any irritation to myself and just skip posts until things go haring off in a more entertaining direction.

Hare verb [ I + adv/prep ] UK
to run or go very quickly, usually in an uncontrolled way:
I saw her haring off down the road after Molly.

Reactions: JRP3
Just FYI for investors, Elon said on Twitter Space Live as of 20 mins ago that many advertisers have came back to Twitter, as well as Apple who resumed full ad buy. Also future earnings for Tsla may happen on Twitter Space Live. Twitter overhang has been reduced.
Wrong thread... posting anything T(not esla) creates a huge problem for the mods as these posts tend to degenerate into a mess.
At least that's what I understand after a few too many memory lapses on my part.

Since this is a weekend, maybe we'll migrate to that T.thing, since Elon has apparently figured a good auto crowd moderation tool in the form of "Community Notes". Sorry that joke really doesn't translate well..

Our mods in the T(not) world :

IMG-20221108-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
I'll admit, I had not read it until today but check out the Wiki: FAQ Tesla Investor Discussions Wiki - FAQ: TSLA Investor Discussions below. Very enlightening and I wish I would have read it before I ever started posting. Definitely recommended reading, including a comprehensive list of acronyms!

Last edited:
Correct, thanks for stating it so succinctly. I think the original poster (I've lost track, too busy doing Mod stuff to go back and find them) thought that driving the motor against the motion, rather than just sucking out energy, might be better. It is possible to do this, but a really bad idea. The truck has energy (kinetic and gravity potential) that needs to be dissipated. If you take more energy out of the battery to drive against the downhill motion, you are simply adding more energy. All that energy has to go somewhere, and that is into the motor as heat. It wouldn't take long to do serious damage when we're talking hundreds of kW.
The odvious solution for energy dissapation is crank up the volume on the country and western music. 😁

Elon's cryptic message won't be understood by the people who might benefit from his message. We know he means the SC network is good enough today for road trips.
Yep. There's some great ones in the Road Trip forum here on TMC, talking specifically about how easy it is using the SC network. Worth a read Uncle Joe...

Lol Consumer Reports is such a joke.... obviously there's something wrong with your rating system if the car that you rate as the very top EV pick can't even be a recommended pick within a span of one year.

"This is a blow to Ford’s electric crossover, especially since Consumer Reports just added the Mustang Mach-E to its list of recommended vehicles last year. The magazine noted then that its recommendation was due to the Mach E’s excellent reliability ratings that were earned from Consumer Reports’ surveys. The Mach-E also unseated the Tesla Model 3 as Consumer Reports’ Top EV Pick for 2022."

The SP has been very stable over the weekend. ;)

Will Monday's close rocket up to $195.00, or, will it dive back down to $194.70 again?
This is the question that has me losing sleep at night. 😴
(Moreso than zero Covid being lifted in China, or all the white cars at GigaBerlin)

The suspense is palatable, or maybe I just need to get some breakfast and a cup of coffee.