Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly.........and now after 125,000,000 shares have been traded in only the first half of the day following a nice gap up that was just a little bigger than WS wanted, the huge number of shares traded keeps rolling but the share price delta is dwindling to +/- $1.50 on either side of $120. That's right - trading at a pace of 125,000,000 shares in 4 hours and then TSLA gently turns back to oscillate around $120. Could that possibly be the same $120 that @SOULPEDL posted earlier?

Recall that just this morning - when TSLA was $10+ under the $120 'money zone' the news was positive. Could the 'news' that 'Covid's influence on the economy in China was over' have been a little too much in one direction? Amazing how quickly the real 'Clowns in Clown Cars' began working to help facilitate the $120 landing in the other direction with the different flavor of 'news'?

Nothing to see here!

Two days ago there were rumors of Cathy Wood getting margin called to explain the sharp after-hours sell-off below $110. If momentum peters-out just shy of $120 this afternoon will we see articles regarding Cathy's genius to load up ARK at these levels?

I sincerely believe that the average TMC TSLA Long is a very frustrating demographic for 'the news media'. We have been taking everything with a grain of salt since John Broder's now-infamous February 8th, 2013 NYT Tesla Range Anxiety article. In hindsight that article was written just before TSLA went on its very first face-ripping upwards trajectory. Did Wall Street not have enough shares at that time? Stock investors used to dream of having 'tomorrow's paper today'. Now we have to wait to interpret today's Tesla news through the lens of tomorrow's TSLA stock price action.

... and then retrenched puts at 100?
More confusion to come, be careful. (Did I say that?)

1672338370891.png

This article is not very clear but
Senator Joe Manchin, a Democrat who chairs the chamber's energy panel, had urged Treasury to reject allowing use of the credit in consumer leasing saying they were trying to use the provision "as a way to bypass the strict sourcing requirements."

Apparently lots of the assembly restrictions are gone if the car is leased. This article is much more clear.

Looks like LFP will qualify (not sure if they did before). Tesla still seems well positioned to take advantage of this.

Model Y best selling car (not just EV, but all cars) in Europe in November.

After taking a breather in October, Tesla Model Y took over Europe in November. According to sales data from Automotive News, the electric SUV became the best-selling car in Europe last month, beating longtime petrol leaders. The increase in production at Giga Berlin has had a great positive impact, gradually meeting the demand for the sought-after model in Europe.

Model Y best selling car (not just EV, but all cars) in Europe in November.

After taking a breather in October, Tesla Model Y took over Europe in November. According to sales data from Automotive News, the electric SUV became the best-selling car in Europe last month, beating longtime petrol leaders. The increase in production at Giga Berlin has had a great positive impact, gradually meeting the demand for the sought-after model in Europe.
Is this 1st time American car has been number 1 in Europe?

Monday 2nd is holiday and we will have delivery numbers before market opens on the 3rd…
Tue morning is gonna be interesting to say the least…

2023 the year of IRA and CT

Happy new year all!!
Cue all the wailing from the usual suspects about how yet again Tesla and Musk are profiting from subsidies.

I for one would be welcoming that. Especially after this year.

edit: yes, yes as others are indicating below, these subsidies are dwarfed by the fossil fuel subsidies, the security subsidies to make sure the oil is transported everywhere needed safely, the negative externalities of burning these fossil fuels. All of that, plus Elon being the only one speaking out against subsidies.

Last edited:
Cue all the wailing from the usual suspects about how yet again Tesla and Musk are profiting from subsidies.

I for one would be welcoming that. Especially after this year.
Would be delighted to have zero EV/renewable subsidies if they were to remove all the fossil-fuel subsidies too and let the best technology, price and consumers* pick the winners

Edit: not consumers, of course, Apple auto-wrong...

Last edited:
Been seeing enough smoke on the 4680 analysis from Cleaner Watt and TLF to be calling it now, 4680 ramp is going to be the excuse for not hitting 50% growth next year. And shorts are going to FUD aggressively on this as signs of deteriorating demand.

Going to eat downvotes for this right now, and downvotes in 6 months ago when this is starting to materialize and everyone says "yes but Elon in 2021 telegraphed that 4680 was needed in 2023 to hit that goal." Which I am acknowledging. I'm just saying, looks like that danger zone is going to hit next year. I also suspect it's the reason for the delay in Master Plan part 3, because there's still some major hurdles left to publish that document.

I miss the days when 20 gwh output for 2022 was the stated goal, and we were debating whether that meant peak run-rate capacity or actual produced output for the year. Sigh.

For the record, this is actual valid Tesla criticism, not the BS we're reading about now in the media. I wish public debates around Tesla's stock price revolved around actually substantive content.

OT

I wanted to thank this forum and its members for sharing your insights, models, and thoughts from which I've learned so much over the past five years.

Today I took delivery of my long-awaited Model S Plaid in the South of France and it has been an amazing day. Even though my portfolio is down from its highest high, it is still a multifold higher than if I hadn't invested in TSLA/come across this forum. I continue to believe in Elon and am looking forward to the next chapter of this amazing ride. What a time to be alive.

A special thanks to my favorite contributors Artful Dodger, Krugerrand, Papafox, Right_Said-Fred, StealthP3D, The Accountant, as well as Rob Maurer/Tesla Daily Podcast, Dave Lee, James Douma, and ALL the steadfast bulls.

Interesting side note: A transporter with 8 ModelS/X arrived "out of the blue" at the Service Center this morning. I was told that two of the Model S were Dual Motors, and they didn't have the Plaid badge. If that's the case they would have arrived on the second ship, which came to Zeebrugge over Christmas. My Plaid arrived on the first ship (on Dec 5) but only found a place on a transporter a week ago. So either logistics have improved greatly over the last few days, or the two Model S were Plaids after all, only with missing badges.

View attachment 890098
Wienies!!!!!! We have 3. Love the little plaid scarves.

This was updated and now has Tesla.

Dont know how this was put together, but 5 seat Model Y MSRP limit is set at $55,000. Basically if you want the tax credit on the Model Y need to order with 7 seats.

Looks like LFP will qualify (not sure if they did before). Tesla still seems well positioned to take advantage of this.

Maybe we should stop posting how IRA helps Tesla so much $$$, only to learn how they changed it. We now have this undetermined period in Q1 just so Senators can learn how batteries are made, where on earth they come from, and gather any more ideas how to help GM and some others before bailout checks are written. :rolleyes: I wouldn't be surprised if the whole idea spun from GM in having no ZEV credits remaining, but who knows.

Meanwhile, Tesla stated they didn't think any EV credit was necessary. And why would they? All OEMs are trying best they can to switch to EVs. There is no bigger stick than to watch Tesla take away your only market in an accelerated fashion. Even Ford has a sizable backlog of the Lightning. It's an ICE bailout, and if Tesla stands to gain more, you better believe this bill will get modified, or will be tested hard.

And why would anyone care about where "some" minerals come from? Is this an attempt to stir emotions regarding slave labor on cobalt... that I keep hearing about from some friends? Meanwhile, how long have Li batteries been around and suddenly now they all care?

Scrap the IRA, go bareback and hang-on tight! It seems designed to bring false hope and drive down TSLA once clarified. Just like over estimating P&D, same effect. Do you really think people are adding TSLA because of the IRA???

This was updated and now has Tesla.

Dont know how this was put together, but 5 seat Model Y MSRP limit is set at $55,000. Basically if you want the tax credit on the Model Y need to order with 7 seats.

Interesting that it lists the Model Y Performance 7 seat variant, but Tesla doesn't sell a 7-seat Performance Model Y. (Maybe that will change?)

It also doesn't list the Model 3 Performance at all.

The details they released also confirmed that the MSRP is for the car as delivered, i.e. it includes options. (A lot of people said it would be based on the base MSRP alone, and wouldn't include the price of options.)