Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was going to do something similar because the results didn't seem to warrant the bump, but my CCs would be naked.

So far so good (as of right now without any hiccup) as of right now. Anything below $200 is cheap when you think about it 2 years from now
$130 / 140 / $150 would not means anything in a long run

afterhour.JPG

Could be that a good portion of the cash theyh have is made in China, and can not "leave the country"..
I don't think that is true, and even if it was, it wouldn't matter. Look at how many vehicles they export from Shanghai. The money they receive for those vehicles is not received in China, but the cost of goods is. So, the money from the sales in China could be used to cover the cost of the vehicles exported.

Orders so far this year at twice the rate of production.
There’s a lot to unpack in that. The massive price cuts would unlock another layer of demand at the lower price point, but I’d wager US orders are at least partially reflecting knowledge (and the order page stating) that the IRA credit is likely changing/reducing after March.

What happens with the Treasury guidance and credit amounts will be the next tell and I wouldn’t be surprised to see $3750-7500 discounts offered to offset a sudden loss in tax credit that effectively amounts to a price increase for consumers — similar to what we’ve seen in China etc when other similar credits ended.

Really tough to say though, demand at the new price points might stay robust despite the reduced tax credit, will broaden out to configs besides pearl white, etc.

So...basically the autonomous driving market plays out like the following?

1. First to market are all the other folks injuring riders en masse
2. Tesla keeps making rockin' cars with FSD as an add-on (to collect data and provide a useful feature)
3. Tesla takes its time developing autonomous-first vehicles while all the first to market competitors falter with early adopters
4. Tesla delivers autonomous-first vehicles with high safety functionality due to step 2 data collecting and training (and is an "order of magnitude" better than all the competitors)
5. Tesla delivers autonomous-first vehicles in volume
6. Profit $$.

...yeah?

Edit: MOOAAATTTTTT

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive 4680s out of Nevada will be for other products :)
EM strongly suggested it's for something that is not yet in the market - don't want to compete with their existing products.
So did he mean delivery trucks or smaller cars?

Again, my hunch is he's talking about the $30K compact. Sounds like much of Nevada's new battery production will be for new products, and we know the Gen 3 is coming soon because they are talking about it in a few weeks (Investor Day).

Of course there could be other new products which we know nothing at all about....

Call just ended. A very good earnings call, I'm super happy with everything about it.

Elon mentioned wind and solar as one of the 3 tiers of a sustainable future.
Would wind turbines make sense?
imho ....

I have noticed that of late Musk has become more evenhanded in his inclusion of wind alongside solar. Which is good as wind makes more energy than solar both in US and worldwide, so this is an improved and more realistic stance.

However I don't think that the trends in wind turbines are a good fit for either Tesla or Musk at this time, and nor are the trends very amenable to change.

In solar the bulk of the energy (and capacity) is in utility scale, but residential (domestic) scale are very significant in most countries, typically between a quarter and a third. In contrast in the wind space almost everything is in utility scale wind. The segment known as small scale wind (which in the US is desperately trying to rebrand itself as distributed wind) is not even visible as a rounding error. There is a possibility that they might try something in the small wind segment to try and change that. I hope not as it would be an even more painful lesson than the Tesla Solar history has been in the residential segment.

In about 8-years time there might be a market entry opportunity into large scale offshore floating wind for the business that Tesla may have become by then. I doubt Tesla would want to try that, but it is more conceivable at that point.