Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We switched our oil furnace to a high efficiency heat pump over a year ago. Saving at least a couple thousand a year on heat and the A/C is running less cost as well. Hopefully these crazy increases are driving more people to electric devices including EVs even faster.

Even on a heat pump, 98% of the year is great - but I'm finding a need to run it consistently throughout the day during near/at freezing temperatures. The heat pump I got (Carrier) doesn't work as well as a gas furnace during these freezing temps (specifically in the mornings to ramp up from 64 degrees to 70) and I'm looking into insulation to cover for the inefficiency.

Really wish Tesla sold a home heat pump.

This is what happens when you don't have a structural battery:

However, the most interesting thing about this story is the mainstream media's coverage of it as noted by DriveTeslaCanada:
No fair! How come we don’t get a quick eject button?!

SMH. Although the Super Bowl ad will probably sell mote Tesla cars than GM! Thanks, Mary!

Motes are lame. ;)

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-02-02.11-36.png

Upper-BB should broach $200 tomorrow if results are good from Tech earnings tonight.

I don't think it has anything to do with a structural battery pack. We haven't seen any ejected packs on the Model S, X, 3, or Y that don't have a structural pack, even when they are in a similar accident.

Having the pack eject has a good side: It makes putting the resulting fire out easier. But obviously a 1000+ pound flying object that is on fire is a danger to everyone around the accident.

Why does he loves to kill the momentum? Probably short sellers are going to start saying that he is about to sell stock again and put some pressure.

My theory: too many people decided to retire early. Maybe some important/productive Tesla employees?

Even on a heat pump, 98% of the year is great - but I'm finding a need to run it consistently throughout the day during near/at freezing temperatures. The heat pump I got (Carrier) doesn't work as well as a gas furnace during these freezing temps (specifically in the mornings to ramp up from 64 degrees to 70) and I'm looking into insulation to cover for the inefficiency.

We leave the thermostat at 65 24/7 as I had previous experience with heat pumps and it takes forever to change temperature a significant amount. Rapid heating is the advantage of gas/oil burners. And if you are pushing the temp up and it is near or below freezing you are going to force on backup heating which is usually elements which is extremely costly. Better to find an ambient temp you can live with and leave it there and put on a sweater. We have a Nest thermostat for over a decade so were use to raising temp during the day and lowering at night, but even with oil heat we kept it low so for us going anywhere that is 70+ is uncomfortable.

As to a Tesla heat pump, didn't Musk say something about considering commercial development when they announced moving to heat pumps in cars?

We leave the thermostat at 65 24/7 as I had previous experience with heat pumps and it takes forever to change temperature a significant amount. Rapid heating is the advantage of gas/oil burners. And if you are pushing the temp up and it is near or below freezing you are going to force on backup heating which is usually elements which is extremely costly. Better to find an ambient temp you can live with and leave it there and put on a sweater. We have a Nest thermostat for over a decade so were use to raising temp during the day and lowering at night, but even with oil heat we kept it low so for us going anywhere that is 70+ is uncomfortable.

As to a Tesla heat pump, didn't Musk say something about considering commercial development when they announced moving to heat pumps in cars?

Thanks for the heads up! Right now, overnight, the house (during mostly all of the year) doesn't need the heat pump on - though in freezing temps, I leave it at 62-63 degrees. Did not know about the backup heating feature. The AC works awesomely during the summer months with the heat pump.

Once the sun comes out, the room temp rises up very fast in the morning to the desired temp. It's just the time period between 6:15am - 7:30am that's rough for ~7-14 Winter days a year. Again, do think insulation should remedy this, but not sure.

Tesla has said they'd like to do a home heat pump in the future, though no ETA. With all the IRA stuff, kinda figure they'll announce something sooner rather than later, hopefully.

Edit: I do get worried with running the heat pump, wall charger, and the dishwasher all at night during the winter freezing days though on 100A panel.

Several times Elon has mentioned they've done some preliminary work on residential HVAC using octovalve tech, but as of yet we've not seen nor heard anything truly official about it.

I do think it will come eventually, but as to "when" is anyone's guess.

I've found it best to set one temperature and leave it. Otherwise the ramps use a lot of energy that you don't make back during the ramped down period.

I've found it best to set one temperature and leave it. Otherwise the ramps use a lot of energy that you don't make back during the ramped down period.

Really hope Tesla intermingles their heat pump with solar, smart plugs (for appliances), and the wall charger on an app interface and does some background home electricity management. The days where there's freezing temps where 3-4 things are running overnight are not happy overnights for me worrying about whether the electricity to the house is going to shut off or not (which I was told to watch for with the person from the City Govt that was inspecting the heat pump).

However, the most interesting thing about this story is the mainstream media's coverage of it as noted by DriveTeslaCanada:

An interesting side note to this accident is how it is being covered by mainstream media, which shows their inherent bias against Tesla. A review of headlines reveals none of the coverage so far mention Audi by name, and instead use the word “EV” to reference the battery pack being ejected from the car. Although we can never be certain, we are pretty sure that if a Tesla was involved that would be included in all of the headlines.
Look at this from another angle. This is MSM's tacit way of saying nobody cares about non-Tesla EVs.

People don't care about car brands unless they are of particular interest. If it was a Lamborghini, they'd have run that in the headline as well. Some mediocre Porsche just doesn't drive clicks.

Outside of the auto industry, mainstream media runs Tesla headlines whenever possible because they know readers are interested in Tesla. This applies to both good news and bad news... but MSM mostly covers bad-news so lots of Tesla pieces about bad things happening out there. Media does splash Tesla's name on good news stories too. The story about the guy who drove off the cliff and had the whole family survive is an obvious example of this.

This also doesn't prevent biased journalists (there are many) from tacking on their little opinions into otherwise good news stories to fluff out an article either.

Fundamentally "Tesla" drives clicks to an article. "Porsche Trayshcan" does not.

Please this is obviously Audi’s battery swap program in action. Innovative approach!

Really hope Tesla intermingles their heat pump with solar, smart plugs (for appliances), and the wall charger. The days where there's freezing temps where 3-4 things are running overnight are not happy overnights for me worrying about whether the electricity to the house is going to shut off or not (which I was told to watch for with the person from the City Govt that was inspecting the heat pump).

👍 for all that, plus it should heat water too. 🛀

Ron Popiel would be proud!

I don't think it has anything to do with a structural battery pack. We haven't seen any ejected packs on the Model S, X, 3, or Y that don't have a structural pack, even when they are in a similar accident.

Having the pack eject has a good side: It makes putting the resulting fire out easier. But obviously a 1000+ pound flying object that is on fire is a danger to everyone around the accident.
Also remember that all that battery weight in the bottom of the vehicle helps prevent it from flipping or going airbourne. If you watch the video, it appears once the pack leaves the vehicle, it shoots upward and almost flips!

JPSartre from Twitter is giving a Megapack presentation on this Spaces in a few minutes for anyone interested:

Did anyone else listen to this? I had it on in the background and I think the main points were
  • Revenue from MegaPack is about 6 month lag. (He said this easily 30+ times)
  • As more and more get deployed the money printer goes brrrrrrrrrt (Reoccurring maint + Virtual power plant (VPP) = $$$$)
    • 50% margin on the MegaPack itself. 100%+ margin on the software [maint + VPP (I think i heard that right?)]
  • Once Sodium Ion battery patent expires (maybe it just did recently?) The cost of Energy storage is going to drop significantly
  • Backlog of orders for 2 years, so no point to advertise
Sounds like Tesla Energy 2nd half 2023 is going to be just the tip of the iceberg and we haven't seen ANYTHING yet 🚀

Last edited: