Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't understand why anyone would literally rent a car for $500/month for three years and be left with nothing, and just have to give the car back at the end of the rental period???????

Cars are generally depreciating assets, so regardless of the path you take you're losing some amount of money. A monthly lease payment like this may work if somebody can't afford to buy the car outright or pay a more expensive rental that includes an asset (car) at the end. Or if they prefer a lower monthly payment so they can invest a bit of their money instead of tying it up straight away. There are definitely reasons, which is why people do it.

We can do some interesting numbers with the info we have.
2023…

So, some interesting numbers.
Yes, so I wonder about the seemingly imminent dry electrodes and improved electrolytes, plus 4680 packaging improvements that all suggest increasing energy density coupled with reduced mass in the structural packs.

Several comments from people who seem knowledgeable think that these developments link directly to increased production volumes and decreased cost. Specifically the SACMI press now being installed in the new Austin cathode building appears to portend very high speed powdered metal pressing, although we do not know the precise use, the location gives clues..

My question is directed to those who are qualified to assess the probability that we will see mass 4680 production still this year and also tge probability of cheaper cells and higher energy density. Consequently, then, does this mean there should be another advance similar in consequence to that if the structural pack and mega casting?

I still don't understand why anyone would literally rent a car for $500/month for three years and be left with nothing, and just have to give the car back at the end of the rental period???????
Many people can deduct lease payments as business expense, including nearly all small business and professional services. For those people it is often both cheaper and easier to lease. Under IRA, further, people who are ineligible for the tax credit because of income limits can still benefit because of leasing company passthrough.

In any event all cars, including Tesla, depreciate in normal times, aberrations during the prior few years were just that, aberrations.

That smells of conspiracy crapola. You don't need TSLAQ trolls to dig up lawyers willing to sue Tesla for $Billions on contingency. It could, however, make sense for a capitalized hedge fund that shorted TSLA to front enough money to keep a decent class action law firm in operation for the 5+ years needed to get to trial. I don't know of any evidence that happened, but it would be an alignment of shared interests.

Didn't our TMC courtroom correspondent post something about one of the witnesses answering that he was approached and paid by the attorneys to be a shareholder in the case?

Without pointing fingers at TSLAQ, if so, this would lend a bit of an odor to whether whoever was behind the case were actual shareholders.

Cars are generally depreciating assets, so regardless of the path you take you're losing some amount of money. A monthly lease payment like this may work if somebody can't afford to buy the car outright or pay a more expensive rental that includes an asset (car) at the end. Or if they prefer a lower monthly payment so they can invest a bit of their money instead of tying it up straight away. There are definitely reasons, which is why people do it.
My philosophy, that I don't hesitate to share with young people, is buy used cars that you can easily afford until you've achieved a comfortable level of wealth. I bought new for the first time last summer at 57 years old. We, as a world and as a society, want a cleaner planet. We, as individuals need to do what's best for us. If that means buying an '82 Honda Accord, that spews out tailpipe emissions, do it.

Or if they prefer a lower monthly payment so they can invest a bit of their money instead of tying it up straight away.

If that is the reason, why not take out a loan ?

Many people can deduct lease payments as business expense, including nearly all small business and professional services. For those people it is often both cheaper and easier to lease. Under IRA, further, people who are ineligible for the tax credit because of income limits can still benefit because of leasing company passthrough.
  • Bought cars can also be a business expense, IIRC as a per mile item instead of a depreciation. Is that a big difference ?
  • I'm in the group that cannot take the full tax credit which is why I looked at the Tesla lease recently. Tesla is keeping the tax credit, insofar as paying over 50% for 3 years of use implies.
----
I've only read a couple of reasons to lease I consider understandable and rational
  1. The person wants to drive an unreliable money pit, like a German luxury car. Keeping a car like that past 3 years is a bad idea unless the driver is a DIY'r
  2. People who wanted to drive early EVs, and either wanted something better in 3 years, or were afraid of getting stuck with a bad car.
  3. Leases with attractive buy-out options. The person paid for the option to keep the car longer
  4. People who want a new car every 3 years and are willing to pay for the convenience of an easy turn-in

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed and jerry33
I beg to differ. Paradigm shift sensitivity has contributed to my career and “mad money” investment success. My current favorite is the way Munro & Associates - a deeply reality-based and pro-innovation organization - models the automotive OEM blind spots on Tesla’s Agile Manufacturing.

What I think OEMs don’t see - key practices that support light-speed innovation on a running assembly line:

1. Complete vehicle instrumentation with self-tune, self-test and report capability. Similar to completely automated software test and reporting in mature Agile DevOps.

2. Completely automated plant monitoring, analysis and reporting. This keeps everyone on the same page for status and priority.

3. Digital Twin capability. Tesla knows EXACTLY which parts and versions are in each vehicle. This streamlines long-term tracking and customer service.

4. Multi-cell parallel production steps. Changes can be implemented in a single cell and slip-streamed into production with less disruption. Similar to A/B website tests.

Please pardon my YouTube link omissions. Sandy Munro and Corey don’t see these and don’t ask.

- Munro & Associates interview Joe Justice. They don’t know to ask. Joe Justice may not recognize the blind spot.

- Fazad Mesbahi and Corey discuss Tesla cost advantage. Corey can’t explain why FSD hardware suite is in every vehicle. See #1 above.

- One of Sandy’s heads-up innovation videos. He attributes Tesla’s rapid cycles to deep pockets. Cannot see the deep automation and cells called out above.

- Even Connecting the Dots misses the cell structure in the Agile at Tesla series.

Apologies for lack of links. Time pressure.

I think these examples demonstrate the point I was making. In each one the information was missing for the person because the question was not asked. They didn't know what they didn't know.

For this to be resolved they would either need to realize something in their knowledge was missing and ask, or, be led to the information by someone else realizing they didn't have enough information.

The idea of "paradigm-shift sensitivity" is a useful way of describing how to apply first principles to overcome cognitive dissonance when it has been brought to one's attention. But only if that same one is open-minded enough to allow for the possibility and pursue the matter to a logical conclusion.

An example of overcoming cognitive dissonance being the story of Columbus' ships being unseen by the island natives until they were led to look at where the waves were parting around the hulls, then some were able to see the ships.

Another, loosely, is Gordon Johnson, who feigns cognitive dissonance effectively enough to lend support to those with a TSLAQ mindset into standing strong in their perspective, regardless of the facts.

Last edited:
Business expense? Free to the individual. In Europe, its a taxable benefit, but still very attractive. EVs are also given preferential treatment for some tax breaks, ie:

Key Points:
  • The Inflation Reduction Act, which President Joe Biden signed into law Aug. 16, created some new tax incentives to encourage the purchase of electric vehicles.
  • A $7,500 tax credit for consumers carries many requirements for households and vehicles. But one for business owners, worth up to $40,000, doesn't have those restrictions.
  • Medium- and light-duty trucks are "the fastest-growing fuel users and greenhouse gas producers in the United States," according to a 2019 Energy Department report.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd and 2daMoon
*Ahem!*
As I was saying...https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7390878/ (Price hikes incoming!)

these guys don't leave money on the table, their fiscal acumen is the altar wherein lies my faith

Wasn't the answer in the thing you quoted? Higher payments on the loan.

You are right --- I looked at the Tesla website and the monthly loan payment for 6 years is 1.5x the monthly lease payment. . So in 9 years equal money has been paid out, but the buyer has a 9 year old car free and clear. That presumes no tax credit for the buyer.

ADDENDUM: And if the buyer is eligible for the full EV credit, the paid amounts between lease and purchase are even after 7 years 8 months.

Last edited:
My question is directed to those who are qualified to assess the probability that we will see mass 4680 production still this year and also the probability of cheaper cells and higher energy density. Consequently, then, does this mean there should be another advance similar in consequence to that if the structural pack and mega casting?

Tesla brought in-house this "Road Map" for future battery development with their acquistion of Maxwell Technologies in Feb 2019, paving the way forward in four (4) key areas:
  1. Energy Density
  2. Extended Battery Life
  3. Cost Reductions, and
  4. Battery Materials / Processing Tech

I think Tesla is simply following the development path adopted in 2019, which itself goes back to 2017. More about the original Maxwell battery deal in this article published 4 years ago today:

Battery Day was held in Sep 2020, 18 mths after the Maxwell acquistion, and layed out the broad strokes of Tesla's future battery plan. Today, we're seeing in realtime the first such battery machine being built in Texas. Cybertruck will be it's dramatic reveal, and embodiment.

Cheers!

Last edited:
You are right --- I looked at the Tesla website and the monthly loan payment for 6 years is 1.5x the monthly lease payment. . So in 9 years equal money has been paid out, but the buyer has a 9 year old car free and clear. That presumes no tax credit for the buyer.
True enough if taken to that extreme. But, you are unlikely to find any 9 year leases or 9 year loans. Though the advent of long lasting EVs could eventually lead to longer loan periods being offered.

I'd like to see a 9 year loan for an EV. The overall payout is likely much less than the cost of three leases over the same period and the monthly hit would probably be lower as well. Maybe X.com will be offering long-term loans on Teslas someday soon... 🤞

Last edited:
But, you are unlikely find any 9 year leases or 9 year loans.

That is just the arithmetic. It would actually play out as 3 consecutive similar leases Vs a loan that lasted 6 years.
I added an ADDENDUM to my earlier post looking at the purchase case where the EV tax credit is fully utilized. Then the purchase price is covered by 7.7 years of lease payments.

I've read that car loans longer than 6 years are offered. People are hesitant to take them for a couple of good reasons: the increasing risk of expensive repairs, always having a car that has more money owed on it than its value, and the fear of being in an accident in a car 'underwater.' The apr is also higher, severely cutting into the monthly payment argument.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2daMoon and jerry33
*Ahem!*
As I was saying...https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/7390878/ (Price hikes incoming!)

these guys don't leave money on the table, their fiscal acumen is the altar wherein lies my faith
Hiked prices on the Model Y and cut the Model 3 RWD

There are 600+ Model 3 inventory listings in the US right now about like 120 Model Y, seems likely there will be further tweaks to balance out the mix here

Reactions: petit_bateau
Hiked prices on the Model Y and cut the Model 3 RWD

There are 600+ Model 3 inventory listings in the US right now about like 120 Model Y, seems likely there will be further tweaks to balance out the mix here
When the Seafood Restaurant menu says "Market Price", ya might wanna ask for that day.

If that is the reason, why not take out a loan ?

• Bought cars can also be a business expense, IIRC as a per mile item instead of a depreciation. Is that a big difference ?
  • I'm in the group that cannot take the full tax credit which is why I looked at the Tesla lease recently. Tesla is keeping the tax credit, insofar as paying over 50% for 3 years of use implies.
----
I've only read a couple of reasons to lease I consider understandable and rational
  1. The person wants to drive an unreliable money pit, like a German luxury car. Keeping a car like that past 3 years is a bad idea unless the driver is a DIY'r
  2. People who wanted to drive early EVs, and either wanted something better in 3 years, or were afraid of getting stuck with a bad car.
  3. Leases with attractive buy-out options. The person paid for the option to keep the car longer
  4. People who want a new car every 3 years and are willing to pay for the convenience of an easy turn-in
There's one more. If the car can be used for business expense, there is no question about how much can be deducted.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
That is way too simplistic. Day trading speculator bought on the tweet, and lost money when the deal collapsed and they sold. <<<shrug>>>

I personally also bought on the tweet. The only difference between me and the aggrieved speculators was that I held on to the stock.
True.

Except: What’s failed to be mentioned is that BEFORE the tweet the stock had already significantly (and mostly) risen due to the Saudi buying TSLA stock rumor (and owning >5%). Most speculators were already in at that point.

THEN Elon’s tweet happened and while the stock did rise some more, most of the rise had long since occurred due to the Saudi rumor.

THEN over the coming days, as Elon became aware of the hoops retail investors would have to or simply wouldn’t be able to jump through to own private company stock, and the outcry from those retail investors - only then did Elon change his mind and decide not to take Tesla private.

That’s the FULL truth of the situation.

Last edited: