Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GigaMexico will be 2x the size of GigaTexas, ground breaking in 3 months.

From the Reuters article:

Jesus Nava, the mayor of Santa Catarina in the state of Nuevo Leon, said in an interview that Tesla is purchasing the site from private owners. He said the land spans nearly 4,200 acres in an industrial zone, more than double the size of Mexico City's international airport.

Giga Monterrey's land area is 6.5 square miles, compared to 4 sq.mi for Giga Texas. That's gonna be visible from space (to the naked eye). :D

I question that any Tesla line/factory will be truly "copy and paste", given Tesla's focus on improvement and refinement. There is no such thing as an optimal design or process. You learn something every single time, and there is always room for improvement. Now, does that matter? Not really-the basic concepts and principles developed on one line can certainly be iterated, tweaked and improved and used on the next line-far more quickly than starting from scratch. But true "copy and paste" with interchangeable lines and tooling? Perhaps but I'm not convinced.
You are right of course...but what I am getting at is Tesla will copy-paste only once they've hit what they feel is sufficient to meet their goals--or when the benefit of copy-pasting exceeds the drawback of having to optimize the copies separately.

The PSMR motor used a Hallbach? Array of magnets glued together. I remember that Sandy Munro was blown away by this and wondered how Tesla had done it.

I would not rule out some better engineered Hallback Array, or higher voltages somehow allowing stronger magnetic fields will perhaps using thinner copper wires and some really neat way of winding the motor.

While I have no idea what they are doing, I suspect that they have found a really grest solution,

I remember Drew also said last earning call that statistics from the fleet indicated that motors were over engineered and that was a cost saving opportunity.

No Tesla motor so far (that we know) is Hallbach, they just used segmented magnets to reduce Eddy current losses

In a IPM (internal permanent magnet), Hallbach doesn't make sense, actually Hallbach in a IPM works against you since you cut the magnetic flux to where it should go

Hallback can work in a SPM (surface permanent magnet) allowing the rotor to have less iron and be smaller/lighter, at expense of more complex assembly and sometimes less power, since some of the magnet mass is used just to redirect the flux intead of adding to it

TSLA investors may be interested in this petition...

This petition is submitted on behalf of retail stockholders who are actively seeking answers and corrective measures regarding the unfair and tyrannical actions that are being seen within the United States stock markets. For far too long, multiple startup companies and veteran companies alike have had their stock price manipulated through the exploitation of certain loopholes in regulations surrounding the practices of naked short-selling, FTDs, phantom shares, and dark pool abuses. While these issues may not seem important to you all, we the army of retail shareholders represented by this petition, are beyond frustrated by the destruction of our investment value due to these manipulative practices at the hands of wall street insiders.

We the retail investors understand that there is an inherent risk with any investments we make. Losing money is a common occurrence in the stock market. However, the exploitation of the naked short-selling regulations undermines the integrity of the US stock markets and jeopardizes investors' trust in market fairness. After the financial crisis in 2008, naked shorting became illegal. The SEC is charged with the responsibility of keeping markets fair for all and delivering oversight of its own policies and regulations.

I'll be signing this petition, but the reimplementation of the uptick should be added to the petition. Naked short selling and the ability to short on downticks are both cornerstones of the manipulation crime. Incidentally, the collusion of the criminals on an everyday, all-day basis, is potentially the largest RICO action ever perpetrated on their victims.

Oh ya, forgot about $30 free unlimited charging. And this is why it works out.

" the reason why we can do this is because Texas as a ton of wind. And in Texas, the wind blows at night.”

Cool, so how about day charging in Az then... (ya not much energy use at night, just having fun ;)

It sounds like it will be available to Texas non-Powerwall Tesla owners (e.g., me) this summer. It will actually take some number crunching to see if that would pay off. The electricity plan I have now is free at night (for the same reason- excess wind) in exchange for a slightly higher rate during the day.

So it will depend on what Tesla Electric's daytime rate is compared to my current plan, then factoring in how much I typically home-charge per month.

No Tesla motor so far (that we know) is Hallbach, they just used segmented magnets to reduce Eddy current losses

In a IPM (internal permanent magnet), Hallbach doesn't make sense, actually Hallbach in a IPM works against you since you cut the magnetic flux to where it should go

Hallback can work in a SPM (surface permanent magnet) allowing the rotor to have less iron and be smaller/lighter, at expense of more complex assembly and sometimes less power, since some of the magnet mass is used just to redirect the flux intead of adding to it
Come on...everyone knows this :oops: o_O

Twice the size of Austin.

With a planned assembly line that has the smallest footprint ever designed?

I would guess long term plans here are for a minimum capacity of 5M per year.
I like the "Construction start in 3 months" part the best! But darn now we all gotta find time to watch a whole new series of factory construction videos.

Edit- now I hear something about operating "after 9 months", I like that even more!! Looks like we'll need to make more time.

Last edited:
It has been a while since my last post. I've been on a break from TMC.

Finally had the chance to view Tesla’s Investors Day presentation, almost four hours in length. It was worth my time.

Prior to this Investors Day, I had thought Tesla getting to 20M/annual vehicles would never happen. My expectation was for Tesla to top out at between 6M to 8M vehicles (For reference VW sold 4.5M and Toyota sold 8.1M in 2022, although both dropping YOY in large part due to Tesla’s emergence).

Now, I believe that 20M is achievable. Tesla outlined in layman terms exactly how this is to be accomplished. All in one vehicle, they have the fastest acceleration, highest passenger safety, most reliable, requiring least amount of maintenance, longest range vehicle. And soon Tesla will also be the least expensive vehicle. Just as the Model 3 and Y opened the floodgate by 10X compared with sales of Models S & X, to more economically conscious buyers, the next generation vehicles will again open the floodgate by 10X compared with Models 3 & Y.

How will Tesla achieve this? By revolutionizing manufacturing (much improving a 100 year old assembly line process on how they make the vehicle), reducing manufacturing footprint required per vehicle by half, reducing complexity and parts by half, reducing production costs by half and by owning and controlling in-house almost the entire ecosystem (from chips to batteries, to charging and battery storage, to sales and maintenance). And all this based on Tesla’s current production facilities which are already the most efficiently run and cost conscious in the industry.

Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, the Financial Analysts and Marketeers can only think one to two quarters ahead, hence the sell off of TSLA after the Investor Day news. However, long term, now without a doubt, Tesla’s lead in EVs via its strategy will only continue to grow against any so called competitors, and unless they copy Tesla’s approach, they will never come even remotely close to the future success Tesla will have. The Tesla Team has never looked stronger.

O'K, now back to my TMC break.

Aren't inductive chargers quite lossy? Since the cheapest I can get a kWh in Southern California is $0.22, I am not interested in any lost kWhs...
I had that question, too. Seems to go against Tesla DNA if big efficiency losses occur in the charging phase. But this blurb makes the case that at Level 2 AC charging rates, the inductive losses are comparable to plug-in.

I'd much rather we get that robot snake thing...or I just keep plugging in manually. Wireless charging is very helpful with cell phones as we are constantly picking them up and using them. For cars I don't get it.
Pull into your garage/parking space and forget it. No charge port, cable (for vandals to cut) or plug (no compatibility issues).

Unless there is a clear reason to buy twice the land (water rights maybe?) that does not translate into planning a factory larger than anything you already have, I disagree.

Give me something and I will change my mind.

The land around the factory just became much more valuable. No reason to not buy the largest contiguous piece available.

Slovenia-China-rail : the first trans-Caspian China-Europe train from Jiaozhou, in eastern China, to the port of Koper, in Slovenia. The convoy, loaded with new electric vehicles, covered the 13,000-kilometre route in 45 days.

There is no info on which brand. However Tesla has been using Koper so there is a possibility this may be Tesla. Note that this route bypasses Russia.

I recall predicting that since the route has been completed there might be good ways to do it.
Others said, impossible to go through Iran. Certainly Russia would be more direct if politically possible and capacity were available.

This KTZ route is quite clever and avoids all that, tasks to Kazaks and Georgians.
Great news!

Another apiphony from investor day....I haven't seen much mentioned about VP of SCM, Karn Budhiraj. He appeared to be extremely competent. I'm not sure of others experience, but my experience is that high quality engineers have trouble finding equally high quality counterparts in SCM org. Karn was sharp and knowledgeable. Tesla's SCM organization demonstrated unequaled flexibility and results in 2022, far exceeding other manufacturers during a really really tough year. Yet another impressive example of Tesla talent.