Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple more things about SVB:

I found this article from netinterest.co to be extremely illuminating about what happened, and how it unfolded so rapidly, despite there having been warning signs for the last five months or so.
Out of its total $173 billion deposits at end 2022, $152 billion are uninsured.
That is, over 88% of its deposit value is uninsured. That money is inaccessible in the immediate future, although I still expect that much of it will be recovered over time.

I also just got an extremely credible phishing email appearing to be from our payroll provider, that wanted me to read a blog post to reassure me that our payroll was fine. I had already heard from friends in the security industry to be on the alert, a situation like this is made to measure for people to hastily click links. I'm not surprised that it was possible to find out who our company's payroll provider was, but this was pretty well targeted.

Frankly I don't know what the big deal is and this is entirely an over reaction. It's not like SVB took depositor's money and yoloed on Rivian options. They were treasury bonds they can no longer service due to the interest rate imbalance, so they decided to sell at a loss to get the majority of the principle back, while selling shares to make up the rest. It's not like there was some major liquidity issue as if hundreds of billions disappeared out of thin air.

Yeah, from a purely balance sheet issue, SVB wasn't actually in a bad spot. They just messed up their messaging. Both when they went to market for the $2.5B equity they tried to raise, and then during the crisis when they tried to reassure people, and screwed that up as well. That's what's so tragic and so precarious about bank runs. It doesn't take much to wipe them out. Hopefully the regulators will take this weekend to make some assertive moves to protect *all* deposits so that people can calm down and not start other bank runs over nothing.

Reactions: wipster and Skipdd
Did Elon just buy?

He exercised options, which means, yeah, he did buy about 10,000 shares (at the low option strike price). But he didn't buy from the market, these were newly created shares that have been added to the market. He paid Tesla about $40,000 to buy 10,000 shares. Oh to be a CEO with a generous stock option plan.

Last edited:
Some one who was in the fence about retiring 2 years later, would have pushed forward their retirement.
You really think that $3,200 over 2 years is changing people's retirement plans? For most people that would have allowed them to slightly reduce their debt and nothing more, for many it just replaced some of their lost earnings.

His perspective is that inflation is ending and we're going back to happy days and people shouting recession are fear mongering idiots. What I know is CPI is spiking back up, stocks keep getting trashed and the Fed is raising rates higher and longer. I urge people to be wary of these "feel good / everything is fine" personalities. I don't need anyone to tell me to hold my TSLA and weather the storm. He just seems to be doing more harms than goods. His words are empty. Tell me whether stocks are going up or down next week. He won't. If you need to add to your echo chamber, he'll be a nice addition. If someone held TSLA from 300 to 175 according to him, they'd have lost 40%. I held the stock myself but I don't go out of my way to tell people "Everything is fine. Hold your stock no matter what. They're all idiots."
<---- sticks fingers in ears and repeatedly saids, "LA LA LA LALALALALALALLALALLALALALALALA."

You really think that $3,200 over 2 years is changing people's retirement plans? For most people that would have allowed them to slightly reduce their debt and nothing more, for many it just replaced some of their lost earnings.
Not sure where you're getting the 3200 over 2 years from.

The COVID relief ppl got was immense. And there was even larger scale fraud that happened (mostly perpetuated by a few small business owners). And here we're getting entirely off topic.

In any case, please look at this link for all the ways in which federal government provided COVID relief.

His perspective is that inflation is ending and we're going back to happy days and people shouting recession are fear mongering idiots. What I know is CPI is spiking back up, stocks keep getting trashed and the Fed is raising rates higher and longer. I urge people to be wary of these "feel good / everything is fine" personalities. I don't need anyone to tell me to hold my TSLA and weather the storm. He just seems to be doing more harms than goods. His words are empty. Tell me whether stocks are going up or down next week. He won't. If you need to add to your echo chamber, he'll be a nice addition. If someone held TSLA from 300 to 175 according to him, they'd have lost 40%. I held the stock myself but I don't go out of my way to tell people "Everything is fine. Hold your stock no matter what. They're all idiots."
Well, a year ago Sasha was sounding the alarm that inflation is going to get worst. Multiple videos of him sounding the alarm and those were not very popular on his channel.

A couple more things about SVB:

I found this article from netinterest.co to be extremely illuminating about what happened, and how it unfolded so rapidly, despite there having been warning signs for the last five months or so.

That is, over 88% of its deposit value is uninsured. That money is inaccessible in the immediate future, although I still expect that much of it will be recovered over time.

I also just got an extremely credible phishing email appearing to be from our payroll provider, that wanted me to read a blog post to reassure me that our payroll was fine. I had already heard from friends in the security industry to be on the alert, a situation like this is made to measure for people to hastily click links. I'm not surprised that it was possible to find out who our company's payroll provider was, but this was pretty well targeted.
Yes, this is a good link and I speak from experience. The last dozen years of my professional experience was building models for interest rate risk when rates move sharply (the stuff that created doubts about SVBs solvency), estimating how quickly deposits run off and whether there's enough liquidity for that, building stress test models, modeling deposit betas, and a few other things that only big banks care about. Of course this included dealing with various regulators as well.

All of this was at a bank that is about twice as big as SVB and a household name in the US.

Looking at the details of what brought SVB down, I am appalled at how lacking their risk management practices have been. Unfortunately they were slightly below an asset size threshold that would have brought a lot more scrutiny of these risks and forced their hand to derisk.

Anyways, I provide this context because, from my perspective even if Elon badly wants to buy SVB, the regulators won't let him have it. It's a huge pain to become a BHC or a bank holding company, because BHCs are subject to a ton of regulation and you can't just buy bank without the Feds blessing it. This is precisely why none of the big techs owns a bank, though several of them like AAPL GOOG and AMZN are involved in banking adjacent activities.

Long story short, if Twitter wants be a fin tech, it can accomplish a lot of what it wants to do without becoming a BHC, and becoming a BHC is time consuming and restrictive in many ways.

Once Elon figures this out hopefully talking to some good advisors, I think he will walk back from the precipice.

Tesla has officially launched their "Powerwall Direct" page. You can order Powerwalls to be shipped directly to your home, without needing to order a solar system: Powerwall Direct | Tesla

Great sign for Tesla's battery supply. Elon stated they ceased standalone Powerwall sales due to battery supply, and would begin again when they had a surplus.

That link doesn't really support your claims of people getting windfalls to allow early retirement, (rental and funeral assistance?), but as you say we are getting off topic.
Not to beat a dead horse, but if there's an eviction moratorium (still there in a few states per my understanding), the tenant doesn't have to pay rent and live rent free at long as they don't care about their credit score.

In these situations, there is really no incentive to work 2 or 3 a-little-over-minimum wage jobs between a husband and wife with a kid. Just make enough from one person working to put food on the table and the spouse takes care of the kids. Entirely different situation if they have to pay for rent plus child care.

But anyways, we can agree to disagree!

There are loads of SPACs on the market you can short easy. Not to mention these banks are publicly traded which are the best short of this week.

SIVBP had 68.7% Short selling by volume yesterday, 2023-03-09. FINRA did not publish data for today's session, which ended abruptly in the pre-Market via halted trading. Paging @Papafox (your info, sir)

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
Key clause:
Lesser of 30% of basis or incremental cost over comparable ICE vehicle.
2023 Treasury safe harbor guidance based on DoE for the 15% smaller GVWR was that all [other than super small cars] qualified for $7,500.
14k+ GVWR: Battery size and fuel cell costs are the key drivers of incremental cost, resulting in an incremental cost for Class 4-6 vehicles of $34,500 (BEV), $28,000 (PHEV), and $41,000 (FCEV). All other vehicle classes larger than 14,000 pounds have incremental costs of $66,000 or greater.
2022 Incremental Purchase Cost Methodology and Results for Clean Vehicles
Is this saying that the incremental costs are determined by DoE estimates? I had been wondering how that would work. If so then the credit would be about $10k based on these numbers. And how would that affect the Semi?

Tesla has officially launched their "Powerwall Direct" page. You can order Powerwalls to be shipped directly to your home, without needing to order a solar system: Powerwall Direct | Tesla

Great sign for Tesla's battery supply. Elon stated they ceased standalone Powerwall sales due to battery supply, and would begin again when they had a surplus.
Great sign for the chip supply too. If I remember correctly powerwall uses the same inverters as the cars.