Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Tesla was a cute little newbie on the scene back then; a newsworthy novelty. And they were certainly no threat whatsoever to the media's dependable cash cows.
Now?
Tesla now threatens the entire auto industry, which advertises heavily in the MSM (and most other media as well). And Tesla has made it abundantly clear that they have no intention of spending a dime on advertising. Media needs advertisers. Without them, they'll die.
Both our legacy automakers, and our legacy news sources are getting backed into a corner. What would logic expect them to do?
Ok read it a ton and not sure what MSM means...Mass ---marketing something maybe?

So I guess all that talk about electricity being much more expensive in the EU than in the USA doesn't come from California.

(Here in Germany I pay 0.24 € / kWh, about 0.27$ / kWh).

PS. In addition to following @KarenRei's suggested and appreciated copy-editing, I just checked the US Supercharging prices. Those that are priced per kWh have a minimum of 0.21 $ - that's not actually cheap.

Do these prices include subscription/tax/delivery charges?

I live in Sweden and more than 75% of my electric bill is subscription and other charges. Some are based on number of kWh transferred, some are monthly charges. If I take my monthly bill and divide it by the number kWh for that month I arrive at about 0.272EUR per kWh.
While in my bill the kWh price listed is 0.062EUR per kWh.

This is very motivational and I have already gotten some of the hardware that would allow me to limit my usage of the grid. This would increase the cost per kWh, but would dramatically decrease the kWh used.

Reactions: AndyH
Last edited:
China stuck Elon's Tesla with 25%-40% import tariffs and locked him out of Chinese EV incentives for years.

Elon complained to Trump he pays 25% tariff into China while Chinese cars pay 2.5% tariff coming into the USA. Elon said it was like competing in the Olympics while being forced to wear lead shoes.

After years of negotiations, a trade war, and agreeing to side deals like opening a R&D center in China and perhaps agreeing to buy cells from Chinese companies Tesla is being allowed to open its own factory in China.

Elon is a libertarian. Chinese Communist Party is exact opposite of that.

There are orders of magnitude more Chinese engineers immigrating to the USA than American engineers immigrating to China.

This x1000.

China is still an autoritarian regime. They police everything you look at, they have a new 1984-esque social credit system. You have to watch what you say about China if you want to stay or do business in China.

If you watch the ADVChina youtube video series (highly recommend to everyone) China has been getting more and more authoritarian lately and less welcoming to foreigners. All the communist propaganda and statues they tore down and forgot about in the 00s are getting put back up and Xi is basically trying to make himself emperor.

China will not be the savior of humanity as long as the CCP/Xi run it.

OK, so inaccurate daily jargon aside, the Model 3 has a heat pump.

At first I was simply going to argue that Tesla wouldn't be so stupid to build in a heat pump in the Model 3 and then deliberately limit its usability to only cool the passenger compartment.

But then I rewatched Ingineerix's review of the Model 3 cooling and refrigerant system.

I encourage everyone else to do the same,

When he says (at 0m45s) of the cooling system "the water can actually be cooler than ambient" (he goes on to correct his 'water' to 'glycol') that sounds a lot like the heat pump can move heat arbitrarily (as opposed to being limited so it according to some convention would be an air conditioner)."

The glycol is cooler than ambient (the best that just a radiator can accomplish, such as in an ICE), because as he has just described, there is a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger that couples the chilled freon loop from the air-conditioning system to the glycol loop.

This is explained with some more details starting at 4m20s, basically the refrigerant system has two loops, a standard one for the A/C and a second one for extracting heat from the car's glycol-based cooling system.

No, he doesn't say that. He describes the air-conditioning system as having two Freon loops: one to the passenger compartment evaporator (standard vehicle air conditioning), and a loop to the aforementioned heat exchanger that can chill the glycol feeding the pack/power electronics.

The heat extraction he later describes is heat (either waste or deliberate) from the motor/power electronics that is in the gycol loop that can be valved-in to circulate directly through the battery loop. No heat being extracted from the condenser (hot) side of the A/C system. As a matter of fact this is a glycol-only mode where the air conditioing system & heat exchangers aren't involved at all.

I guess the design surrounding the 'Superbottle' really is quite remarkable - and surprising to a lot of people also on TMC.
While impressive, it appears to simply consolidate a bunch of valves/pumps/heat/exchangers with a reservoir. Id does not implement a reversing valve and other items needed for a reversible heat-pump system, @KarenRei 's diagram not-withstanding... as @mongo points out, there are a few items in that picture that appear incorrect.

Duh Teslas continue to accumulate at the pier. Did they think that a single ship was going to take Tesla's entire allotment for Europe AND China for the year? They better get used to Teslas building up there; it's going to be happening for the foreseeable future. Or is the claim that because there's only 2k Model 3s on it that its a Potemkin Delivery? As if there's no other customers taking that route?

That thread also includes such impeccable theories as 'maybe they put 1k vehicles on the ship and are sending them back to Freemont [sic]. Sounds stupid but it is the elonmusk and $tsla shell game we are talking about. Unless there is visual proof there may not be a single Model 3 on that ship.'

post-12582-0-93596700-1430351257.jpg

ED: Liking this opening movement.... +1,31%....

Macro events and price action summary for today:
  • Earlier today key Chinese economic data came out (new loans), and it was ~$200 billion higher than expected, i.e. Chinese monetary and fiscal authorities are expanding credit to bridge the slump due to the tariff war. This eased a number of China related worries.
  • Cooler heads appear to be prevailing in Brexit: May doesn't seem to be hell bent on crashing the UK out of the EU anymore. The parliamentary vote will very likely be a loss - but the worst-case scenario became less likely. If the UK wants to fine-tune the soft Brexit process then the EU27 would likely grant a few months of delay for March 29.
  • Fed: key U.S. inflation data shows deflation and manufacturing data showed contraction. This makes rate increases this year less likely.
This triple good news on basically all but the U.S. government shutdown front is propelling markets right now, and $TSLA is using that macro sentiment as a tailwind.

Last edited:
So I guess all that talk about electricity being much more expensive in the EU than in the USA doesn't come from California.

(Here in Germany I pay 0.24 € / kWh, about 0.27$ / kWh).

PS. In addition to following @KarenRei's suggested and appreciated copy-editing, I just checked the US Supercharging prices. Those that are priced per kWh have a minimum of 0.21 $ - that's not actually cheap.
Compared to gas it is!

dan

Macro events and price action summary for today:
  • Earlier today a key China data came out (new loans), and it was ~$200 billion higher than expected, i.e. Chinese monetary and fiscal authorities are expanding credit to bridge the slump due to the tariff war. This eased a number of China related worries.
  • Cooler heads appear to prevail in Brexit: May doesn't seem to be hell bent on crashing the UK out of the EU anymore. The parliamentary vote will very likely be a loss - but the worst-case scenario became less likely.
  • Fed: key U.S. inflation data shows deflation and manufacturing data showed contraction. This makes rate increases this year less likely.
This triple good news on basically all but the U.S. government shutdown front is propelling markets right now, and $TSLA is using that macro sentiment as a tailwind.

... and beating NASDAQ by 50%...

Reactions: homer214