Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an embarrassing mistake by @Gigapress. Now we really can’t trust anything he writes anymore.
An understandable mistake since one must pass San Mateo County to go from SF to SJ., but San Mateo County is far more fundamental to the legacy of Tesla

Besides, San Mateo has Half Moon Bay and San Carlos, itself home to one of the shortest runways in the world that can accept some light jets (<12,500 pounds). I can attest from personal experience that it is a 'colorful' place to land. They even have Jet-A fuel. It is also home to a fair number fo Tesla-owning pilots.

OTOH, San Mateo is the home of my former employer once named Stanford Research Institute (SRI), and, we should remember, the birthplace of Tesla in the old Chevrolet dealership on El Camino Real in Menlo Park:

Furthermore Atherton not too many years ago had the highest concentration of Teslas in the world.

If that is not enough, I spent some of my most formative years in San Mateo County. Among my most stellar accomplishments was advising the nearby Hewlett Packard, based in Palo Alto, the East Palo Alto part in San Mateo County. We, visionaries that we were told HP there was no future in handheld calculators because slide rules were faster and more versatile. That was just a couple of years before buying a Bowmar Brain, a brilliant flash-in-the-pan, maybe pertly because they were not form Silicon Valley so, believe it or not, becoming one of the very first bankruptcies due to lack of chips.

It is sad to hear that long distorted story of San Jose and Sand Mill Road as centers of anything much. OK, so there is that little outfit in Cupertino that has made me more money than has TSLA and that Junior University (my childhood was full of that reference because my father when to Whittier with Richard Nixon.)

As far as I am concerned 300 El Camino Real should have a Tesla museum.

It's strange that Farley is claiming that in two years their new truck will be autonomous enough to let you sleep in it. They dropped their autonomous efforts just a few months ago so where is this tech coming from? VW? I find this very hard to believe.

UBS says Cybertruck is the most wanted EV truck at 12%.
March 24, 2023 7:25 AM

UBS reiterated a Buy rating and $220.00 price target on Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) following the seventh wave of the UBS Evidence Lab EV consumer survey.

The survey, which included over 10k participants, shows that 46% of consumers are likely to consider buying a fully electric car (BEV), a 3%-pts decrease y/y. This is the first sequential decline since the survey's inception in 2016, driven by European markets on affordability concerns. Tesla kept its lead in the brand survey with 42% of BEV purchase intenders considering buying a Tesla, vs. 41% last year.

Analyst Patrick Hummel wrote in a note, "Tesla keeps its lead in the brand survey with 42% of BEV purchase intenders considering to buy a Tesla. In China, Tesla lost its top rank for the first time to BYD; now these two brands lead all others by a wide margin. Amongst legacy OEMs, German premium brands gained territory by ~200-300bps y/y whereas mass-market brands showed flat to negative momentum on a global basis. In combination with continued execution issues and gradually growing international popularity of Chinese brands (even though still at a low level), EV strategies of legacy mass-market brands look increasingly at risk as price competition intensifies."

Regarding the interest of US consumers in Tesla's Cybertruck vs. competing pick-up trucks, the survey showed the share of those preferring the Cybertruck remained well ahead of all competing EV trucks with a stable 12%. Hummel remains highly confident that the Cybertruck will become a margin-accretive product in 2024, adding ~$4bn incremental gross profit.

How sensitive is Schwab to a real estate bubble bursting?
I've been in the middle of a housing search the past months and seen Tesla drop down ~70% as well as the housing market cool down and ramp back up significantly (in only 5 months of the search). It's been a whirlwind and I'm wondering how much of it is due to the trickle down market effects of climate change. With all the rain going on in CA this winter (and now spring), I do wonder over the next years how rebuildable a lot of 70-100 year old homes are going to be and how that's going to be changing the landscape...as well as the roads.

After doing some research, this is becoming a trend across other parts of the world too...i.e. people walking away from mortgages essentially. There's more of these types of articles being churned out recently...maybe a sign that people are internalizing better now the situation at hand and its effects on the various economic markets we rely on?

Follow-up q - Was there a thread on Boxabl?

Schwab does have a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust), yet any number of these companies could also have a non-traded and private REIT - higher returns, not as liquid. So who knows... https://www.sec.gov/files/reits.pdf

I have no reason to suspect, but I was told Schwab REIT is (or was) one of the largest out there. Pure hearsay at this point and why I was asking.

By the way, Elon yesterday posted "Umm... the banks are melting." Nothing new, he's had this position for a while on Fed Powell continuing to raise rates. Specifically he disagrees that the banks are "strong and resilient" per their claims. This seems to be the case as we hear of yet another bank in trouble (Deutsche Bank). Feels like about 2-3/week now.

But your point on migration due to climate change... I hadn't thought of the Real Estate part. People walking away from their homes is concerning. Az and S/W Basin had a nice rain, now would be the time to move out of Az - ahead of the drought. I feel like a sitting duck sticking around where a large chunk of our assets are in the home already. Maybe if I scare everyone off, we'll have enough from rain? :D:oops:

Last edited:
By the way, Elon yesterday posted "Umm... the banks are melting." Nothing new, he's had this position for a while on Fed Powell continuing to raise rates. Specifically he disagrees that the banks are "strong and resilient" per their claims. This seems to be the case as we hear of yet another bank in trouble (Deutsche Bank). Feels like about 2-3/week now.
... and I thought it would take until 2040 for $TSLA to become the new currency of the realm. I remain highly invested in the Bank of Tesla in both durable and financial goods, but might need to revisit my other shrinking forms of value retention ...

It's strange that Farley is claiming that in two years their new truck will be autonomous enough to let you sleep in it. They dropped their autonomous efforts just a few months ago so where is this tech coming from? VW? I find this very hard to believe.
Considering how long FSD has been "Next Year", I think Ford can get a free pass on this claim for the moment. LOL

EV market is shifting very quickly, every year companies wait to get into the market makes the competitive marketplace even more challenging. Ram and Toyota won't be introducing trucks into a vacuum like Ford did, there will be 4 trucks on the road already to comparison shop against. Obviously I think Cybertruck is going to be the stainless elephant in the room, but Ford is going to be on their second attempt while Ram & Toyota struggle with their first large vehicle.

I want to put my thoughts out there because there’s a lot of wealth and influence in the readership of this forum and also because these silly surveys end up getting spread by journalists and even well-intentioned investors who have real concerns, and I believe that’s probably how @aubreymcfato felt when contributing the link to the article.

Right. I’m a strong believer in the power of science and empiricism and I want to help people avoid thinking traps and understand the hierarchy of usefulness of different data sources. This includes realizing that sometimes data is actively misleading if not examined rigorously. Survey question responses frequently differ from actual human behavior for many reasons, and there’s always problems with obtaining a representative sample of people to respond in the first place. Talk (such as clicking a multiple choice button on an online survey) is cheap and $50,000 car purchases are not, and it’s the latter we’re concerned about anyway.

So, here is for the forum’s consideration some actual useful data on those $50k purchases and well done analysis published by the San Francisco Standard on Feb 20th, using official data from the California Energy Commission, which can be accessed directly via their wonderful interactive dashboard.

View attachment 920754

This is very relevant because California is the largest and most important state car market in America, it’s one of the most Democratic-leaning states, and it’s arguably the single-most culturally influential state in the country. Here’s some hard facts and numbers to demonstrate California’s status as a political stronghold for the Democratic Party, courtesy of Wikipedia.

View attachment 920759

Furthermore, it’s important to note:

1) CA leads the USA and most of the entire planet in EV adoption​
2) The two biggest urban areas in CA around San Francisco and Los Angeles are extremely D-dominated relative to the rest of the USA and even relative to the rest of the state​

If there were anywhere in the entire country and world where I would be concerned about seeing negative Tesla demand impacts of some of Elon’s more right-wing political views and his vocal criticisms of the current state of the Democratic Party that he has been expressing recently, it would be the LA and SF metro areas. Actually, I would especially look at the SF area because it leads California in EV adoption rates, because it is possibly the #1 most liberal area of the nation depending on where you want to draw the metro area boundaries, and because it's the one small region of the entire world that is most likely to contain people who care about what's been happening with Elon and his Twitter acquisition, his public criticism of local officials in Fremont and Alameda County, and his other recent extracurricular activities.

Fortunately, the data shows absolutely zero cause for concern (in the aggregate, anyway). As a matter of fact, it indicates wildly raging demand for Tesla vehicles that is at an all-time high with a robust trend for continued growth in the future, and this is especially true for the Bay Area as noted by The Standard:

View attachment 920716
(Red dots indicate Bay Area counties)

View attachment 920721
(Red circle indicates Bay Area)

At our Silicon Valley TMC investor meetup in February, I learned from @EinSV that San Mateo County now has 25% of all new vehicle purchases being Teslas. 1 out of 4, almost unbelievable. Indeed, per the CA Energy Commision dashboard, in San Mateo County in 2022 Tesla sold 11,320 cars out of 13,711 total BEVs (83% share) and 46,696 total vehicles (24.2% share). At a global scale, this market share would already put Tesla close to the 20M/year goal (this is not a reasonable extrapolation but it serves to give a sense of scale.) San Mateo contains much of Silicon Valley and tends to vote about 75% in favor of Democrats in most elections. Per Wikipedia, “Every city, town, and unincorporated area of San Mateo County has more registered Democrats than Republicans.”

The SF Standard continues:

View attachment 920724

This chart is critical because California's regulatory environment has made it the #1 hotbed in America for other car companies to sell compliance EVs at a loss in order to be eligible to participate in the state's absurdly lucrative automotive market. Despite facing this extreme handicap of competing against companies willing to price EVs at levels that generate negative gross profit margin, Tesla is still outselling everyone else combined and is steadily gaining EV market share. Let that sink in. This is just embarrassing. Also consider what this implies for the oft-repeated arguments that more competition and BEV options will reduce Tesla's competitiveness. California already has a lot of EV options, including many models that are not available for sale in significant numbers anywhere else in the nation, and California also has a decent charging non-Tesla infrastructure relative to almost all markets in the world, and yet...Tesla dominates.

For anyone who still wants to express concern about "Elon's antics", please describe your reasoning for why California and SF/SoCal are somehow not representative of EV adoption and leftist political trends in the rest of the country, or alternatively describe why you think this trend is going to reverse in the future despite having already continued unabated through the entire pandemic and Twitter saga.

Also, anyone who was surprised by Tesla's decision to double down on developing an engineering presence in Silicon Valley instead of Texas may want to take some time to sit down and have a deep meditation session to ponder why you're placing so much weight on politics instead of other factors related to the business. Palo Alto was a clear winning choice and Austin will not be on the same level for a very long time, if ever. Other locales have intensely competed with SV for decades to wrest away some of its magic and tech dominance and every attempt has, thus far, failed. Tesla was born in Silicon Valley and though it's going global now, it's still a Silicon Valley software and computer engineering company at its core and will remain so for the foreseeable future.
FWIW, Atherton, in San Mateo County, had for years the highest concentration of Teslas anywhere, perhaps since they are within a few minutes of the original Tesla factory, were/are incredibly wealthy and disproportionately are core Silicon Valley types. Now there are many other areas to the South that compete for the wealth concentrations.

Edit, I guess they have their new AI company Lattitude but still.

Semi-autonomous was the key word he used, then gave examples. BTW, Bob already sleeps (short bursts) in his Model 3. Dozing off is a form of sleep, so of course Ford could do this in 2 yrs.

But don't underestimate the jolt in AI. The battle by Elon re Microsoft owning OpenAI exclusively is a real threat. Throw in NVDA and I wouldn't be surprised if FSD could be created on (through) your laptops in ~2 years. Super Human Intelligence is becoming common language now.

In case anyone is interested, I follow Matte Wolfe on YouTube. He sounds like yet another youtuber with the most AMAZING reveals everyday... but then he delivers and shows examples. I'm noting the speed of these reveals is accelerating (jolt is the correct term). Matte's like Rob Mauer on meth for AI tools. He's automated out all the dead spots (AI tools) so it's 90 mph facts coming at you - hang on tight! It seems that Microsoft really did pull a DOS once again.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I've been in the middle of a housing search the past months and seen Tesla drop down ~70% as well as the housing market cool down and ramp back up significantly (in only 5 months of the search). It's been a whirlwind and I'm wondering how much of it is due to the trickle down market effects of climate change. With all the rain going on in CA this winter (and now spring), I do wonder over the next years how rebuildable a lot of 70-100 year old homes are going to be and how that's going to be changing the landscape...as well as the roads.

After doing some research, this is becoming a trend across other parts of the world too...i.e. people walking away from mortgages essentially. There's more of these types of articles being churned out recently...maybe a sign that people are internalizing better now the situation at hand and its effects on the various economic markets we rely on?

Had a similar conversation with someone just the other day. They’ve been transplanted because of the huge flooding that happened last year where there house was in the PNW. (Part of the massive flooding that extended all the way into Canada) They’re still dealing with FEMA and other organizations trying to get repayment for their home, possessions, relocation etc… It’s been a real struggle for the family to just pull up stakes and move to some place completely different and start over; using up their savings, new school, new jobs (in completely different fields), new culture -

The whole area along the river where they lived that flooded will not be rebuilt. And the reason for the flooding in the first place was multi faceted; climate change, also environmental groups that successfully lobbied for the cease and desist of regular dredging of the river and river bank support/repair, the fact the river has been manipulated over the decades, and the nature of, well, nature and that rivers change course all on their own over time if left alone.

We’re definitely experiencing a planet wide chaos event with many trying to hang onto nothing to see here. But it’s happening. We’ll all be able to look back in a couple decades and see it more clearly. Tesla has most definitely played a role in quickening the change affecting established industries and relative consumer demands and spending.

Edit, I guess they have their new AI company Lattitude but still.

I just feel, too little, too late.

This has Boxabl stuff:
Tesla House / trailer home / travel trailer / RV

Had a similar conversation with someone just the other day. They’ve been transplanted because of the huge flooding that happened last year where there house was in the PNW. (Part of the massive flooding that extended all the way into Canada) They’re still dealing with FEMA and other organizations trying to get repayment for their home, possessions, relocation etc… It’s been a real struggle for the family to just pull up stakes and move to some place completely different and start over; using up their savings, new school, new jobs (in completely different fields), new culture -

The whole area along the river where they lived that flooded will not be rebuilt. And the reason for the flooding in the first place was multi faceted; climate change, also environmental groups that successfully lobbied for the cease and desist of regular dredging of the river and river bank support/repair, the fact the river has been manipulated over the decades, and the nature of, well, nature and that rivers change course all on their own over time if left alone.

We’re definitely experiencing a planet wide chaos event with many trying to hang onto nothing to see here. But it’s happening. We’ll all be able to look back in a couple decades and see it more clearly. Tesla has most definitely played a role in quickening the change affecting established industries and relative consumer demands and spending.
Schwab does have a REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust), yet any number of these companies could also have a non-traded and private REIT - higher returns, not as liquid. So who knows... https://www.sec.gov/files/reits.pdf

I have no reason to suspect, but I was told Schwab REIT is (or was) one of the largest out there. Pure hearsay at this point and why I was asking.

But your point on migration due to climate change... I hadn't thought of the Real Estate part. People walking away from their homes is concerning. Az and S/W Basin had a nice rain, now would be the time to move out of Az - ahead of the drought. I feel like a sitting duck sticking around where a large chunk of our assets are in the home already. Maybe if I scare everyone off, we'll have enough from rain? :D:oops:

Personally, I think the wildest experience so far has been getting mortgage lenders to back more than 10% of my liquid assets for a mortgage due to searching for an asset-based loan. Mind you, I currently own a home, signed a listing agreement to sell the home after purchase of a new home, sent the listing agreement to the mortgage lender, and they still only up'd the mortgage by 3% higher.

Also, they've been changing the amount they can lend via mortgage consistently. At first, I thought it was I that was the problem, but the more I read about the tumult in real estate ...

Personally, I think the wildest experience so far has been getting mortgage lenders to back more than 10% of my liquid assets for a mortgage due to searching for an asset-based loan.

If you buy long-dated Puts to lock in your equity value, this should not be an issue. I'm surprised your lender hasn't suggested it. I suggest you find a better lender (one who isn't deliberately withholding vital information from you).

If you buy long-dated Puts to lock in your equity value, this should not be an issue. I'm surprised your lender hasn't suggested it. I suggest you find a better lender (one who isn't deliberately withholding vital information from you).

I'm a long term hold, I've never gotten involved with Puts / Calls. I've been trying to find other mortgage lenders (Wells Fargo, Chase, regional banks). The big ones got back to me with the same message, the regional banks I haven't gotten far enough with.

The issue was the TSLA drop-down. I started my home search in late October at ~$300 / share for TSLA and pre-approval was no issue for a large loan. During the next months, TSLA went from $300 -> $100 -> $200 over a 5 month span. The mortgage lender keeps asking for follow-up on my statements on a monthly basis as TSLA fluctuates and continues to lower than mortgage amount.

Reactions: navguy12
Think of recall as *sensitivity*; it's essentially a measure of the detection rate of relevant elements (i.e. things that matter, as opposed to data noise).

Recall and precision are the two metrics typically used to indicate the performance of a detection system.

350px-Precisionrecall.svg.png

Wiki page on precision and recall
Off topic fun fact:

˝Often, there is an inverse relationship between precision and recall, where it is possible to increase one at the cost of reducing the other. Brain surgery provides an illustrative example of the tradeoff. Consider a brain surgeon removing a cancerous tumor from a patient's brain. The surgeon needs to remove all of the tumor cells since any remaining cancer cells will regenerate the tumor. Conversely, the surgeon must not remove healthy brain cells since that would leave the patient with impaired brain function. The surgeon may be more liberal in the area of the brain he removes to ensure he has extracted all the cancer cells. This decision increases recall but reduces precision. On the other hand, the surgeon may be more conservative in the brain cells he removes to ensure he extracts only cancer cells. This decision increases precision but reduces recall. That is to say, greater recall increases the chances of removing healthy cells (negative outcome) and increases the chances of removing all cancer cells (positive outcome). Greater precision decreases the chances of removing healthy cells (positive outcome) but also decreases the chances of removing all cancer cells (negative outcome)˝.

This means that a perfect filter is almost impossible. Meaning something that nullify both type I (false positive) and type II (false negative) errors. A perfect search engine, for example, cannot exist. Or a perfect recommendation system. Or, again, a perfect forum thread, which contains only relevant AND very informative posts ;-)