Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is, and this is a complete guess, inventories of the S and X just simply got a little high. Will be interested to see if they nudge the prices down after the 31st.
For every successful referral of an S or X, there were probably at least as many 3 or Y sales resulting, and they cost Tesla no referral prizes at all. Also so much unused charging time probably expire unused, making this a good deal for Tesla.

That being said, I can't imagine many so-called "referrals" wouldn't have been sales anyway; I was ready to buy my first X, then I asked a friend for his referral code. I would have bought anyway had there been no referral program.

Instead of waiting for the "experts" to give us the actual stats on this; we could run our own rudimentary tests, albeit less accurate: Set a white painted piece of steel out in the sun, right next to a piece of scrap stainless steel. After an hour, scan it with an infrared thermometer. Bob's your uncle!

This seems too easy. What am I missing? 🧐
Do a black painted on too as that's a very common paint color.

It's nice to have an individualize car but most don't want pay extra for it.

We had a very early Model 3 and for the first 6 months we had to get used to all the extra attention it would draw. Funny story we were driving it on the turnpike and there was a guy driving a minivan 3 lanes over across the divider in the same direction straining to look at it. He was barely looking forward and I commented to my wife how he was going to end up crashing trying to look at the Model 3. She very cooly said "He's not looking at the car, he's looking at me."
Most people don't care and stop after paint color.

Source: Look at our roads. The vast majority of cars are bone stock boring commuter mobiles. (and many of those have dealer nameplates still stuck to them)

It's nice to have an individualize car but most don't want pay extra for it.

We had a very early Model 3 and for the first 6 months we had to get used to all the extra attention it would draw. Funny story we were driving it on the turnpike and there was a guy driving a minivan 3 lanes over across the divider in the same direction straining to look at it. He was barely looking forward and I commented to my wife how he was going to end up crashing trying to look at the Model 3. She very cooly said "He's not looking at the car, he's looking at me."
Your wife is AWESOME.

Instead of waiting for the "experts" to give us the actual stats on this; we could run our own rudimentary tests, albeit less accurate: Set a white painted piece of steel out in the sun, right next to a piece of scrap stainless steel. After an hour, scan it with an infrared thermometer. Bob's your uncle!

This seems too easy. What am I missing? 🧐
That IR thermometers depend on the surface emissivity.

Attachments

• Ultimate-Emissivity-Table.pdf
    174.7 KB · Views: 348
God you’re so right. Anyone in sunny states should cancel immediately or at least wait until enough CT’s are delivered to see if it’s as bad a problem as you suspect! I can already see the Texas evening news station cooking eggs on the frunk hood.

Ok I’m all for anything that reduces the line in front of my order. I doubt it will be a problem for us NW boys.
I heard a lot about the hot handles on the S but I never experienced it myself. The S was parked outside in Texas during the seven years I owned it. No issues with the X either.

I have to give Ford credit in doing this as i am sure it was very difficult... their EV growth targets seem unrealistic but they have clearly acknowledged reality and have started on a journey that may result in their survival... the same cannot be said for other Legacy OEMs
Absolutely agree! Of the western and Japanese firms they seem the only one facing reality and making plans now. Same as in 2007/8 they saw it coming and mortgaged the firm.

Reactions: Gigapress
For every successful referral of an S or X, there were probably at least as many 3 or Y sales resulting, and they cost Tesla no referral prizes at all. Also so much unused charging time probably expire unused, making this a good deal for Tesla.

That being said, I can't imagine many so-called "referrals" wouldn't have been sales anyway; I was ready to buy my first X, then I asked a friend for his referral code. I would have bought anyway had there been no referral program.
Then there those of us who've made numerous successful referrals but never claimed on with Tesla. Long ago I used to use a referral code for a penurious but generous Tesla-owning friend. That must have been a fairly common situation, if never close to a majority.

A good comparison case is the US West Coast cities which are very diverse melting pots where all manner of weirdness and individuality are accepted and Tesla has a similar market share as in Norway and other similar countries. Anywhere people buy a lot of EVs, they buy a lot of Teslas. It does not appear to have much dependence on the local culture.
I understand your point, however Southern California may not be a good comparison. In SoCal what car you drive is one of the main ways people express their identity. Those opting for an EV are making a values statement. There are many other choices in ICE vehicles that are getting a lot of sales too. It will be interesting to see how the need for a car that is “you” will be expressed as EV’s become more widespread.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Is that all vehicle sales or just EVs?
Where did you get this data?
It’s all vehicle sales. Tesla is more like 80% for BEVs in California. I believe @FireMedic was referring to the data from the California Energy Commission that I shared a couple days ago which has a Tableau dashboard with breakdowns by county, brand, model, etc. Certain counties around the Bay and SoCal are now over 20% Tesla for new vehicles with San Mateo (west side of Silicon Valley) at 24.2% Tesla for 2022.

Last edited:
I’m confident that Tesla has considered how hot the Cybertruck will get when sitting in the sun and has engineered a solution if needed. Tesla is also extremely safety-oriented and surely has not made a design that will burn someone’s skin if touched after sitting in the Giga Texas parking lot all day in the summer. Discussing it seems like a moot point.

Also there are many fundamental differences between Cybertruck and the Delorean. One is a gas car from the 1980s and the other is a 2020s “insane technology bandwagon” that has a giant battery, a bunch of sensors and microcontrollers, and the world’s most advanced thermal management system in any vehicle ever made to date.

It's time for Tesla to buy a better ESG rating. We're all in this together.

I’m confident that Tesla has considered how hot the Cybertruck will get when sitting in the sun and has engineered a solution if needed. Tesla is also extremely safety-oriented and surely has not made a design that will burn someone’s skin if touched after sitting in the Giga Texas parking lot all day in the summer. Discussing it seems like a moot point.

Also there are many fundamental differences between Cybertruck and the Delorean. One is a gas car from the 1980s and the other is a 2020s “insane technology bandwagon” that has a giant battery, a bunch of sensors and microcontrollers, and the world’s most advanced thermal management system in any vehicle ever made to date.

How hot does the Cybertruck get inside? My white Model 3 sitting in the California desert sun for a few hours could get hot enough to fry an egg on if I didn't turn on climate control. Not sure if Tesla engineered a solution for this.

How hot does the Cybertruck get inside? My white Model 3 sitting in the California desert sun for a few hours could get hot enough to fry an egg on if I didn't turn on climate control. Not sure if Tesla engineered a solution for this.
We know Tesla has spent a lot of time thinking about cabin heat, glass, noise, etc. They’ve made videos about much of this stuff. We also know they just released a new version of the roof glass for the Model S which blocks heat but let’s in more light.

Aside from this, no we don’t know specifically with the Cybertruck what it’s like on a hot day. They have spent a bunch of time testing it in the hot California sun so, if there is a heat issue it’s almost certain that they know about it and very likely have done something to mitigate it.

I know it’s tempting for people to think they are more clever than Tesla engineers, but I think it’s safe to assume they are competent at their jobs until proven otherwise.

Last edited:
I saw someone posted this on an anti-Tesla/EV group on FB and thought it was pretty funny. Engineered Explained once said that if we were all transitioning from EVs to ICE, people would burn the city down in protest.

"Q: I'm thinking of replacing my electric car with a fossil fuel car and have some questions?
🤔

1. I have heard that petrol cars cannot refuel at home while you sleep? How often do you have to refill elsewhere? Will there be a solution for refuelling at home?

2. Which parts will I need to service and how often? The car salesman mentioned oil in the engine and timing belts that need replacing and a box with gears in it. What is this? How much will this service oil change cost and how often – and what happens to the old oil. Also apparently these petrol type cars generally stop on the brakes alone – so the brakes wear out much faster – how long will they last compared to my current car which lasts over 100k kilometres

3. In a petrol or diesel car, do I get fuel back when I slow down or drive downhill?

4. The car I test drove seemed to have a delay from the time I pressed the accelerator pedal until it began to accelerate. Is that normal in petrol cars?

5. We currently pay about 1.2p per mile to drive our electric car. I have heard that petrol can cost up to 8 times as much. Is this true?

6. Is it true that petrol is flammable?

7. I understand that the main ingredient in petrol is oil. Is it true that the extraction and refining of oil causes environmental problems as well as conflicts and major wars that over the last 100 years have cost millions of lives? Is there a solution?

8. I have also been told that you have to transport oil all over the world to turn into petrol or diesel, and these ships have in the past damaged the environment by leaking the oil, is that true?

9. I have heard that cars with internal combustion engines are being banned to enter more and more cities around the world, as it is claimed that they tend to harm the environment and health of their citizens? Is that true?

10. I have been told that these internal combustion engines make a noise when you start them – so early starts can wake people up, and driving a lot of internal combustion engine cars in towns makes towns noisy.

11. is it true people can steal the fuel from your tank

12. what is the drop in range in cold weather, I've been told a car that does 45mpg can drop to 37 mpg in winter – just curious on that one.

13. a friend told me that the exhausts wear out – is that true, and people steal them for the rare material used in them?

14. I was also told – that the exhaust gas isn’t good for you – and if you leave the car running in a confined space – like a garage – you will die – surely that isn’t true is it?

15. next door told me – these petrol cars – carry around 40 to 60 litres of highly flammable liquid which is pumped into a steel cylinder, and it’s then exploded to generate expanding gas to move a piston, and turn linear motion into rotary motion.
Why would anyone want thousands of explosions happening within a few feet of where your sitting.

16. a guy at work told me – he has a petrol car, and it leaks oil. When he parks it – surely that’s not right is it – leaving dirty marks on the floor and contaminating the environment so directly. How long before this happens if I change.

17. my dad told me – if you buy a diesel car – the hand pump smells very bad, and you have to wear special gloves to stop your hand smelling, and if you spill it on your clothes it terrible.

18. is it true – the petrol and diesel is so dangerous, that you can only buy the fuel at a special filling station, and not anywhere (hotels/Car parks/Home/Work)?

19. while technology is advancing, will I ever be able to refuel my internal combustion car for free using only the sun ?

20. would I be better off going straight to horse and cart, and not buying a horseless carriage – they sound pretty awful, burning dinosaur juice and polluting the environment whilst funding conflict and war and consuming raw material at an unbelievably high rate.

A black car will get maybe 10-15% hotter than a white car. I don't see how stainless could be worse than a black car.

The glass windows are the bigger issue I think. Even basic tint can go a long way to fix that. I'd love to see smart glass in our roofs though. Run a small current and it goes opaque.

My 1977 Lincoln Continental also got hot enough inside to fry an egg if I didn’t turn on the climate control.

Reactions: Hiline

Regardless, I’m prepared to enter my CT decked out. I don’t care. Bring it, Sun.

1679945012802.jpeg

You are "Pretending to Know" the design will be an issue.
<snip>
I'm done arguing with you and if you keep going down this endless rabbit hole of BS it's a short route to everyone's ignore list. Likely on most already.
Just watched the second episode of Rabbit Hole on Paramount +.
Conversely I highly recommend going down this endless rabbit hole.
Wait! Am I mixed up here, or what?