Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on a ski trip with my sons and soon after we get into the rental ICE, he says after a little while, “why isn’t there hot air coming out of the vents.” I had to explain to him that ICE vehicles have no actual air heater, they have to wait for the engine itself to get boiling hot before a heat exchange can work properly.

So add that to the list plus, “is it true that there are laws prohibiting leaving your gas car idling? If so, how can you turn on the heat or AC remotely before getting in, or leaving the AC on while making a quick stop with or without pets on board? Can’t pets die in non AC cars?”
Is it true that I cannot sleep with the car idling in a closed garage so that I can have the cabin heating or cooling?

This is interesting. I wonder how a passive system works if a designated driver is carrying a car full of drunks.

Robo taxies look improbable by then unless iterations get faster. On that note, anyone heard anything about dojo recently?

FSD 11.3.3 is definitely available in Canada, as I downloaded it last night while Supercharging.

Haven’t driven a lot in it, but on my way home there was an off case of a car strangely straddling a curb and 1/2 onto a bikelane.

Impressive, how devoid of jerkiness, and smoothly it handled going around the car.

As if I needed yet another reason to feel good about HODLing my TSLA shares.

anyone heard anything about dojo recently?

Elon told us during the 2022 Q4 CC that Tesla will increase NN training capacity by 10x in 2023, and a further 10x in 2024, for a total of 100x over the next two (2) years. This wil be achieved by adding nVidia and Tesla CPUs, and increased performance of newer CPUs.

Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

William Stein -- Truist Securities -- Analyst

"Great. Thanks for taking my question. Elon, you started to answer this earlier, but I'd like to ask this question about the AI elements of your business and ask if you could comment on progress around Dojo and Optimus and your anticipation for the likelihood, for example, for the company to disconnect the GPU cluster in favor of Dojo and to have some market achievement in Optimus."​

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

"Yes. I mean, obviously, with -- because we're still at the early stages, there are big error pause in any predictions. It's like easy -- I think easy to predict long term but hard to predict the time in between now and then. But it's -- we think Dojo will be competitive with the NVIDIA H1 at the end of this year and then hopefully surpass it next year.​
"And the key there is, I think, what's the energy usage required for a given amount of -- if you're training a frame of video, how -- what's the energy cost required to do that training? And we think probably -- we said this already actually at AI Day 2, so it's not new information, but we do see potential for an order of magnitude improvement relative to GPU, what GPUs can do for Dojo, which is obviously very specialized for AI training. It's hyper-specialized for AI training. It's not -- wouldn't be great for other things, but it should be extremely good for AI training. So just like if you do an ASIC or something, it's going to be better than a CPU.​
"This is sort of, in some ways, like a giant ASIC. And we're able to -- since we're operating one of the biggest GPU clusters in the world already, the -- we've got a good sense of how efficient the GPU clusters operate and what Dojo needs to do in order to be competitive. But we think that it does have a fundamental architectural advantage because it's designed not to be -- the GPU is trying to do many things for many people. It's trying to do graphics, video games.​
"It's doing crypto mining. It's doing a lot of things. Dojo is just doing one thing, and that is training. And we're also optimizing the low-level software.​
"So it -- at a very sort of fair amount of level. So it's just insanely good at efficient training. And the intercommunication between the Dojo modules is extremely high. It's not going across an Ethernet cable.​
"It's -- so anyway, the -- we see a path to an order of magnitude improvement in the energy efficiency or given unit of training. But we also have to achieve that. And so, when will it be achieved? It's hard to say, but we do see a path to get there. And then, also on inference, like once you've got something trained, well, if you want to have a product that's a consequence of that training, that product may not be anything to do with cars, then the efficiency of inference is extremely important.​
"And we also have, by far, the most efficient inference computer in -- at the -- with the FSD computer in the car. This has potential for products that aren't even really in automotive."​

Elon told us during the 2022 Q4 CC that Tesla will increase NN training capacity by 10x in 2023, and a further 10x in 2024, for a total of 100x over the next two (2) years. This wil be achieved by adding nVidia and Tesla CPUs, and increased performance of newer CPUs.

Tesla (TSLA) Q4 2022 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

William Stein -- Truist Securities -- Analyst

"Great. Thanks for taking my question. Elon, you started to answer this earlier, but I'd like to ask this question about the AI elements of your business and ask if you could comment on progress around Dojo and Optimus and your anticipation for the likelihood, for example, for the company to disconnect the GPU cluster in favor of Dojo and to have some market achievement in Optimus."​

Elon Musk -- Chief Executive Officer and Product Architect

"Yes. I mean, obviously, with -- because we're still at the early stages, there are big error pause in any predictions. It's like easy -- I think easy to predict long term but hard to predict the time in between now and then. But it's -- we think Dojo will be competitive with the NVIDIA H1 at the end of this year and then hopefully surpass it next year.​
"And the key there is, I think, what's the energy usage required for a given amount of -- if you're training a frame of video, how -- what's the energy cost required to do that training? And we think probably -- we said this already actually at AI Day 2, so it's not new information, but we do see potential for an order of magnitude improvement relative to GPU, what GPUs can do for Dojo, which is obviously very specialized for AI training. It's hyper-specialized for AI training. It's not -- wouldn't be great for other things, but it should be extremely good for AI training. So just like if you do an ASIC or something, it's going to be better than a CPU.​
"This is sort of, in some ways, like a giant ASIC. And we're able to -- since we're operating one of the biggest GPU clusters in the world already, the -- we've got a good sense of how efficient the GPU clusters operate and what Dojo needs to do in order to be competitive. But we think that it does have a fundamental architectural advantage because it's designed not to be -- the GPU is trying to do many things for many people. It's trying to do graphics, video games.​
"It's doing crypto mining. It's doing a lot of things. Dojo is just doing one thing, and that is training. And we're also optimizing the low-level software.​
"So it -- at a very sort of fair amount of level. So it's just insanely good at efficient training. And the intercommunication between the Dojo modules is extremely high. It's not going across an Ethernet cable.​
"It's -- so anyway, the -- we see a path to an order of magnitude improvement in the energy efficiency or given unit of training. But we also have to achieve that. And so, when will it be achieved? It's hard to say, but we do see a path to get there. And then, also on inference, like once you've got something trained, well, if you want to have a product that's a consequence of that training, that product may not be anything to do with cars, then the efficiency of inference is extremely important.​
"And we also have, by far, the most efficient inference computer in -- at the -- with the FSD computer in the car. This has potential for products that aren't even really in automotive."​
I wouldn’t be surprised if DOJO is eventually abandoned by Tesla - which would be perfectly fine and no reflection on the company as a whole. Nvidia is iterating incredibly swiftly on their architectures and it will be very very hard to compete with that long term, especially for a company where designing chips isn’t the main focus.

I hope so. Elon will have to address the AI risk of wiping out humanity by hiring away the smartest AI developers and building the largest training supercomputer system in the world in-house. This is probably the one thing that keeps him up at night and in his eye the only way civilization has a remote chance to survive. I expect this for him to be similar to wanting to save free speech—but it’s a massively bigger problem.

Musk himself was one of the key contributors to starting OpenAI, and reportedly tried to buy it in its entirety several years ago, before he eventually quit the board and his involvement with the company entirely.

All his recent criticism of OpenAI achievements & their business arrangement with Microsoft probably need to be seen with this context in mind.

I live in TN and most everyone does NOT carry a gun. You know not what you speak of.

Welp, after 4 years and 3 months I made it in the 100,000 miles club! Hopefully I can hit it 4 more times.:)
Just over 5 years and 106,000 miles.
Model3_range.JPG

I wouldn’t be surprised if DOJO is eventually abandoned by Tesla - which would be perfectly fine and no reflection on the company as a whole. Nvidia is iterating incredibly swiftly on their architectures and it will be very very hard to compete with that long term, especially for a company where designing chips isn’t the main focus.
It is a possible outcome. Certainly Elon has actually sounded skeptical of it saying that it’ll only replace their GPU cluster IF it proves itself.

But dojo is a lot more than a GPU replacement. It is also an extremely dense and fast networking interconnect.

I personally see a lot of value in that.

I think while this would be disappointing, I agree that it's a possibility. Tesla needs more compute and more compute per watt and far greater scalability than what's available or was on any roadmaps. If nVidia can deliver more/faster for the right price...then DOJO doesn't have to exist. I see DOJO as a hedge. It might pay off extremely well, or if nVidia (in their primary domain) can outpace Tesla, DOJO might be unnecessary and even abandoned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thekiwi
A couple of years ago, I was chatting with someone who was into custom processors. We ran some back of napkin numbers on when it makes sense to design your own chips optimized for a custom computing requirement.

The rough number was about 100 million dollars in microprocessor spend over may be 3 to 5 years. This doesn't look quite large, but a lot of this is dependent on what efficiency you might be able to get.

With Tesla, of course things are very different. They may be spending something in that vicinity or more if they are building an Nvidia solution. But more importantly they are building more than a GPU. It's a whole new system with vastly different architecture which would mean the breakeven would be higher. But that would probably let Tesla do some things that are physically impossible with just Nvidia GPUs paired with arm or x86 processors. What value would you put on that?

Even if dojo doesn't deliver on it's full promise, I think it will deliver enough for Tesla to pivot towards it. I would be extremely surprised if they shut it down and go back to Nvidia, because it makes zero sense for Nvidia to deliver something for Tesla for their super unique needs. And the generic solution is way worse.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/with_replies
Worth watching all 17 mins - Omar selling Tesla FSD to a Scottish couple.
If not, maybe up to first 5 mins and last minute.

If you believe that Robotaxis (or just level 4) will come pre ~2026 - you are a super bull. If not, I dare you to watch the video and contemplate the improvement over the past year alone.

BTW, never knew you could share your destination straight from Google Maps... duh.
You need to learn how to provide a link to what you mean. 4 hours later that link is full of Elon Musk tweets but I see no Omar video.

Musk himself was one of the key contributors to starting OpenAI, and reportedly tried to buy it in its entirety several years ago, before he eventually quit the board and his involvement with the company entirely.

Yeah, no. The nVidia do-it-all, throw-sugar-against-the-wall approach will not stack up to Dojo in the end, for a simple reason: (purpose-built hardware)

Elon: "We think that it does have a fundamental architectural advantage because it's designed not to be -- the GPU is trying to do many things for many people. It's trying to do graphics, video games. It's doing crypto mining. It's doing a lot of things. Dojo is just doing one thing, and that is training. And we're also optimizing the low-level software."​

All his recent criticism of OpenAI achievements & their business arrangement with Microsoft probably need to be seen with this context in mind.

Regarding "OpenAI achievements", after they refund the $100M USD that Elon donated to this NOT-FOR-PROFIT charity which he partly founded, then they can claim achievements. Until then, OpenAI misappropriated charitable donations (that's a felony, btw):

Sounds like an important issue for the courts to review. Charitible donors need to have confidence that their funds won't be misused to further private or for-profit interests.

Last edited: