Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Largest ETF launches with TSLA in it's top 5 holdings

USCA​

Funny that a climate action etf has more in NVDA than in TSLA.

That's is underweight TSLA even after adjusting for relative mcap.

Is Drew the next CEO of Tesla?

I know people like Tom Zhu for it, but Drew is the one who just penned Tesla’s next 5 year plan. I think people over-index on Zhu’s experience on the auto side. If energy and storage are truly Tesla‘s next chapter, seems like Drew is closer to the center of things right now.

Food for thought.
Drew has always looked more likely to me ever since JB Straubel left to work on battery recycling.

Drew is an engineer and Tom is not, and I think Tesla is going to ensure that engineering remains at the forefront of the company. Drew studied electrical engineering at Stanford and then since 2006 helped architect the rise of Tesla. He might be the earliest employee who’s still with the company (other than Elon), although I can’t find good information on that. Seniority and time aren’t everything but they do make a difference and Drew knows probably more about electric cars and Tesla’s overall technology portfolio than anyone else on Earth—even more than Elon, considering that Elon spends half his time on SpaceX and other activities. For many years, Drew was leading Tesla’s engineering along with Elon and JB.

Unlike Tom Zhu, Drew is also a US citizen and permanent resident and a native English speaker, which probably matters because the company headquarters, most of the key employees and most of the critical R&D are all located here, and the soon-to-be biggest factory will be just south of the border in Monterrey.

The Tesla investor relations page lists leadership as Elon, Drew and Zach and does not include Tom. Zach has an engineering degree but has mostly worked in finance in his professional career. When the time comes for appointing a new Tesla CEO & Technoking, Drew seems like the clear choice.

1680792106144.png

While the points are all valid and a concern, I think they started with the base because the base is as high as it can be to society right now. Hell, our government can't even make up its mind on EV tax credits, when in reality it should be pretty easy to set. We have to walk before we can run...sucks because most on here are ready to run....

Also, in the beginning of the report, they say this:
I agree. The plan already sounds outlandish and impossible to most people and the Investor Day presentation was targeted towards investors in Earth. I just want to point out that it probably is just a base case to this niche audience that is willing to accept Tesla’s claims more or less without hesitation or doubt. And also we still have suspicion that some people at Tesla are reading this forum.

Where and when will this latest roller coaster trough out then? Dry powder waiting but will earnings drive us up or down? Sell the rumour, sell the news or what?
Getting fed up to be honest.
What I am fed up about is this: the manipulators pushed for and got the SEC to allow MM sales of shares, not located or borrowed (circa 2001 ) and allowed these "fake shares" to be "sold" on down ticks (removal of uptick in 2007). With this combination of rule changes, the major brokerages positioned themselves to (almost) never lose. The only opportunity for the suckers to win, is the infrequent situation where a 10% daily downward move, forces the manipulators to short only on neutral- and/or upticks. So, GS admits to mistakenly shorting stock on downticks when they are legally barred from doing so. In case you aren't aware, GS and other large brokerages founded and continue to run FINRA. If one does the math on the number of "mistakes " and assume a reasonable per-trade dollar amount, it is absurdly ridiculous that $3M is GS's view of the potential damages. This has been going on for years. Can anyone tell me when the last quarter was that GS actually lost money in their "trading" unit?

Interesting development at a Tesla Killer...

He may have been laid off.
Latest Bears work shop video showing 6 car carriers at Lucid picking up the cheaper Pure editions. So all this hoopla about logistics is BS. Their demand for all grand tourings/tourings dried up. You can see that all the thousands of cars with pano roofs are still sitting around while the solid roof ones are being loaded.

Latest Bears work shop video showing 6 car carriers at Lucid picking up the cheaper Pure editions. So all this hoopla about logistics is BS. Their demand for all grand tourings/tourings dried up. You can see that all the thousands of cars with pano roofs are still sitting around while the solid roof ones are being loaded.

Lucid did have a layoff, 18% of the workforce at all levels, with growing inventory.

"<Lucid's> order backlog has been declining faster than they have been delivering vehicles, indicating customers are not following through with their reservations and cancelling their orders. Lucid’s order backlog dropped to 28,000 in February from 34,000 late last year, but with only 1,932 deliveries in Q4, that equates to a net loss of more than 4,000 reservations in about four and a half months."

Last edited:
Drew has always looked more likely to me ever since JB Straubel left to work on battery recycling.

Drew is an engineer and Tom is not, and I think Tesla is going to ensure that engineering remains at the forefront of the company. Drew studied electrical engineering at Stanford and then since 2006 helped architect the rise of Tesla. He might be the earliest employee who’s still with the company (other than Elon), although I can’t find good information on that. Seniority and time aren’t everything but they do make a difference and Drew knows probably more about electric cars and Tesla’s overall technology portfolio than anyone else on Earth—even more than Elon, considering that Elon spends half his time on SpaceX and other activities. For many years, Drew was leading Tesla’s engineering along with Elon and JB.

Unlike Tom Zhu, Drew is also a US citizen and permanent resident and a native English speaker, which probably matters because the company headquarters, most of the key employees and most of the critical R&D are all located here, and the soon-to-be biggest factory will be just south of the border in Monterrey.

The Tesla investor relations page lists leadership as Elon, Drew and Zach and does not include Tom. Zach has an engineering degree but has mostly worked in finance in his professional career. When the time comes for appointing a new Tesla CEO & Technoking, Drew seems like the clear choice.

View attachment 925637
Concur on all points. I have seen a fair number of people talking up Zhu as if he’s the obvious choice. Very likely because most people still see Tesla bound to auto.

Thanks for your posts bringing these threads to our attention!

I hope the MODs are OK with the degree of on-topicness, I find this very helpful.
Mods??? I think they went into hibernation because we have been behaving so well.

Let's test my theory:

Twitter, Twitter, Twitter... ummm, I love talking Politics on this thread.
I love GM and Ford...

Timestamped for how long until deletion.

Mod: noted, not taking the bait :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any reasonably solid mention of Tesla's next generation vehicle offering bidirectional charging? That will be good reason for us to consider replacing our 2022 Kia Niro EV in a few years.
I don't see it happening, this is my purely anecdotal opinion, but your car battery is massively larger than a power wall. Bidirectional may cut into those potential future sales. Also would put more wear and tear on your battery, which could mean more warranty repairs.

Reactions: Queeg500
Larry Goldberg tweeted this interesting chart:

Fs_agyQXgAA0RUo

So I created a companion one contrasting this with the other two major EV startups, Rivian and Lucid. Year 1 for Tesla corresponds to 2008 on the above chart. No commentary needed:

FtCngajaAAAaBe3
Tesla reaped the benefits of being a first mover.
They acquired the Fremont site for next to nothing and inherited quite a bit of production equipment. Their capital spend to launch model S was somewhere around $400 million. Early model S was pretty rudimentary; no AWD, no parking sensors, squeaks and rattles. Buyers were willing to overlook all that because it was the only long range vehicle on the market (apart from the roadster).
I think the window of opportunity on scaling an BEV startup in North America has already closed. It took a first mover advantage and Musk’s superhuman focus on cost control and capital efficiency to scale Tesla.
Lucid and Rivian are unlikely to survive as independent companies.

Tesla reaped the benefits of being a first mover.
They acquired the Fremont site for next to nothing and inherited quite a bit of production equipment. Their capital spend to launch model S was somewhere around $400 million. Early model S was pretty rudimentary; no AWD, no parking sensors, squeaks and rattles. Buyers were willing to overlook all that because it was the only long range vehicle on the market (apart from the roadster).
I think the window of opportunity on scaling an BEV startup in North America has already closed. It took a first mover advantage and Musk’s superhuman focus on cost control and capital efficiency to scale Tesla.
Lucid and Rivian are unlikely to survive as independent companies.
Rivian also bought a factory on the cheap, FWIW.

The huge dichotomy in gross margins cannot be explained away solely by first mover advantage. It is also a combination of great execution by Tesla and horrific execution by the others.

They acquired the Fremont site for next to nothing
Yes
and inherited quite a bit of production equipment.
No.
GM/ Toyota pulled out and soldr auctioned everything that was useful/ working. Tesla won bids on $17 million worth.
Tesla Fremont Factory - Wikipedia
Fortunately, Tesla found a deal on a used stamping press to relocate to CA from Detroit ($6 Million instead of $50 million).