Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have got to tell you - that fit/finish on the CT looks great. Production quality for sure. Should have ordered more than 1.

Did you see the panel gap at the hood to fender interface by the driver door? :oops: (I know. It's a prototype, This is meant as sarcasm)

There is no way they will ever be able to produce or sell these things at volume. 😏

/s

Yeah, I should have ordered more as well...

Last edited:
We are in the early stages of the breakup of Texas and oil, and it will be one of the ugliest, messiest, and most consequential divorces of all time. The fact that the Texan governor is doing this *at all* so early in the game, at a time when the local balance of power is still so heavily tilted in favor of O&G over renewables, is quite significant in my opinion. Considering who is paying for Abbott’s campaigns and considering the culture, history, and economic impact of the O&G industry in Texas, I would have expected closer to literally zero support at this point. Tesla showing up in Texas is like if a company on a mission to make corn farming obsolete were to establish a major nexus in Iowa and got the governor to roll out the red carpet for a grand welcome.
As a native-born, lifelong Texan, I think your analysis in your last few posts is pretty good. I will add a my opinion and perhaps counter point or two. Disclaimer: I am not a Corpus Christian, but I have visited many a time over my life, since it is the closest place to visit the ocean. If there are any of you Corpus folks here, none of this is intended to offend, and we'd love to hear directly from you.
First, and most importantly, there are more Texas flags in this state than American flags, no doubt. (They are Texas Flags, not "Texan" flags, please note :) )
This is indicative of our proud history when for 10 short years in the 1800s, we wavered as a weak (but independent) country between Mexico and the US. Culture is funny - that brief timespan will inform our (seemingly independent) attitudes forever. That, while annoying sometimes, may ultimately be the key to allowing a ray of sunshine to come between Us Texans and Oil (pronounced "ohle" [one syllable] if you are serious about it).
But note that I say "ultimately". Oil and gas runs this state. Funds our arts. Funds our universities. Employs seemingly the entirety of West Texas. Pays C-suite salaries to the denizens of those skyscrapers in Houston. Brought in incredible profits relatively recently due to fracking. And yes, of course, funds our politicians. And yes, employs directly or indirectly, best I can tell, the vast majority of Corpus Christi.
Corpus Christi ("Corpus" to us folks) is the most culturally conservative, blue collar town I've spent any time in, just IMHO as judged by the houses, businesses, vehicles (yes, pickups 'By God and Texas'), roadside signs (only place I ever saw a restaurant advertised as a Christian Chinese Restaurant (???)), conversations overheard, trucks flying Trump flags, Trump billboards, anti-abortion billboards, etc. That itself is neither here nor there: I do very much admire folks who work harder than me (and most of 'em do it seems from the outside), and we all got our opinions. However, it seems to me these things are all tied together in a great mental/identity/spiritual tangle, and the oil+gas part will have to be carefully detangled from that mental framework to get any traction in moving away from it. To paraphrase Ted Lasso, as well as Elon, first, you have to "believe".
Building a successful refinery of the lithium variety there is indeed a solid strategy to start gentrifying our beloved Mordor, but make no mistake, it is just a start. This is going to take a dang while. My guess is the average folks in Corpus can relate to a solid, familiar places of employment like that. If Tesla treats its workers well there (and gives 'em increasingly valuable options, even better) they may start to get a small caucus / constituency there. If it keeps growing, even better. Cybertruck may help with that if it checks all the boxes we hope it does.
But oil and gas built this place (Texas writ large, at least over the last century), and the ripping out of our own (fossil fuel) guts is not to be underestimated in terms of difficulty of change after generations of doing things one way. I know the climate cannot wait, as many of us do, but my hope, while very real, is tempered when I visit places like Corpus, or (fracking central) a lot of South Texas on the way _to_ Corpus. There is hope if we can tie "successful transition" to "independent Texan" in our minds, and well, every God-fearing Texan (American?) loves profit and success, so there is hope there as well.
Another hopeful sign: there are also more wind turbines near the coast every time I head down there, and that is also encouraging. Most of them onshore, co-located with very flat farms. I think the political zeitgeist will remain "all of the above" (fossil + new) energy strategy for the near future.

Get the story straight...

I suspect that once the dealerships begin to fold at an exponential rate that this law will lose favor and be voted out.
That last sentence may reflect ignorance about how these laws originally came into being.

Back 80-90 years ago manufacturers had all the power and dealers were treated as fairly as were the organized labor at the time. Nearly all those laws were an attempt to reduce manufacturer autocratic rule. They grew from similar populist sentiments that earlier had spawned the Federal Reserve System, and even earlier the Sherman AntiTrust law. The dealers were suffering as the Great Depression progressed, and that spawned these laws. Every one of those laws happened in response to deep recession.

It is exactly the threat that brings the laws. That is why some anti-EV laws are being enacted now, with road taxes one early sign.

early 20th century/late 19th history is highly relevant to the present day.

Produces roughly same as lucid by loses 1/6th of what they loss every quarter. I mean this is a much better turd. Sometimes I just wonder if companies just loses money according to their cash on hand regardless of execution. Oh we have 4B of cash? Let's burn a billion a quarter then. Oh we have 200M of cash? Let's burn 20M a quarter then.
Check Fisker’s history. Major similarities to DeLorean and Bricklin, except Fisker was a car designer of a sort, DeLorean a OEam executive and Bricklin a serial car dealer.

in comparison to them Lucid and Rivian may look better.:eek::eek:
Nikola looks bad even compared to Tucker. At least Tucker did have working cars.

That last sentence may reflect ignorance about how these laws originally came into being.

Back 80-90 years ago manufacturers had all the power and dealers were treated as fairly as were the organized labor at the time. Nearly all those laws were an attempt to reduce manufacturer autocratic rule. They grew from similar populist sentiments that earlier had spawned the Federal Reserve System, and even earlier the Sherman AntiTrust law. The dealers were suffering as the Great Depression progressed, and that spawned these laws. Every one of those laws happened in response to deep recession.

It is exactly the threat that brings the laws. That is why some anti-EV laws are being enacted now, with road taxes one early sign.

early 20th century/late 19th history is highly relevant to the present day.

Thanks for adding the context.

Laws usually come about under the presumption of addressing some problematic situation.

On reflection, it could have been better stated:

I suspect that once the dealerships begin to fold at an exponential rate that this law will lose favor and be voted out modified to fit the Internet/Direct Sales environment more appropriately, while balancing against both monopoly issues (OEMs) and overzealous protectionism (Dealer Associations) which may be detrimental to consumers.

Last edited:
As a native-born, lifelong Texan, I think your analysis in your last few posts is pretty good. I will add a my opinion and perhaps counter point or two. Disclaimer: I am not a Corpus Christian, but I have visited many a time over my life, since it is the closest place to visit the ocean. If there are any of you Corpus folks here, none of this is intended to offend, and we'd love to hear directly from you.
First, and most importantly, there are more Texas flags in this state than American flags, no doubt. (They are Texas Flags, not "Texan" flags, please note :) )
This is indicative of our proud history when for 10 short years in the 1800s, we wavered as a weak (but independent) country between Mexico and the US. Culture is funny - that brief timespan will inform our (seemingly independent) attitudes forever. That, while annoying sometimes, may ultimately be the key to allowing a ray of sunshine to come between Us Texans and Oil (pronounced "ohle" [one syllable] if you are serious about it).
But note that I say "ultimately". Oil and gas runs this state. Funds our arts. Funds our universities. Employs seemingly the entirety of West Texas. Pays C-suite salaries to the denizens of those skyscrapers in Houston. Brought in incredible profits relatively recently due to fracking. And yes, of course, funds our politicians. And yes, employs directly or indirectly, best I can tell, the vast majority of Corpus Christi.
Corpus Christi ("Corpus" to us folks) is the most culturally conservative, blue collar town I've spent any time in, just IMHO as judged by the houses, businesses, vehicles (yes, pickups 'By God and Texas'), roadside signs (only place I ever saw a restaurant advertised as a Christian Chinese Restaurant (???)), conversations overheard, trucks flying Trump flags, Trump billboards, anti-abortion billboards, etc. That itself is neither here nor there: I do very much admire folks who work harder than me (and most of 'em do it seems from the outside), and we all got our opinions. However, it seems to me these things are all tied together in a great mental/identity/spiritual tangle, and the oil+gas part will have to be carefully detangled from that mental framework to get any traction in moving away from it. To paraphrase Ted Lasso, as well as Elon, first, you have to "believe".
Building a successful refinery of the lithium variety there is indeed a solid strategy to start gentrifying our beloved Mordor, but make no mistake, it is just a start. This is going to take a dang while. My guess is the average folks in Corpus can relate to a solid, familiar places of employment like that. If Tesla treats its workers well there (and gives 'em increasingly valuable options, even better) they may start to get a small caucus / constituency there. If it keeps growing, even better. Cybertruck may help with that if it checks all the boxes we hope it does.
But oil and gas built this place (Texas writ large, at least over the last century), and the ripping out of our own (fossil fuel) guts is not to be underestimated in terms of difficulty of change after generations of doing things one way. I know the climate cannot wait, as many of us do, but my hope, while very real, is tempered when I visit places like Corpus, or (fracking central) a lot of South Texas on the way _to_ Corpus. There is hope if we can tie "successful transition" to "independent Texan" in our minds, and well, every God-fearing Texan (American?) loves profit and success, so there is hope there as well.
Another hopeful sign: there are also more wind turbines near the coast every time I head down there, and that is also encouraging. Most of them onshore, co-located with very flat farms. I think the political zeitgeist will remain "all of the above" (fossil + new) energy strategy for the near future.

Or it could be as simple that Texas is an energy hub. And it does not matter what kind of energy, if it brings jobs its cheered.

Last edited:
I didn't realize just how bad it's been for automakers not named Tesla the past week. Solving the Money Problem sums it up pretty well:

- Toyota CHEATED safety tests (on 4 vehicles)
- Ford -102% EV margins (RIP)
- BYD gave up on FSD
- VW = fooked (can’t figure out software)
- China ICE market IMPLODING
- Lucid = fooked (money furnace & can’t sell vehicles)
- Rivian bleeding $

Obviously the start of this whole process was when Musk got involved in Tesla. But this transition has been incredibly slow. Largely due to the massive nature of the industry and incredibly strong position the incumbents had. We're finally at the phase of the market where the rent seekers are really starting to catch on that they are indeed getting the boot.

While it was a long time coming, 2020-2021 was the "OH Fooq" moment for the auto industry. It's when the legacy players realized they had no choice and started taking EVs more seriously (to varying degrees). Like when Blackberry and Nokia realized they had to make Android products. This year is transitional, it's where the pain is obvious and the economic destruction and the fact that they are nearing the point of no return is becoming conspicuous.

The next couple years we're coming into the moment of maximum pain. Its when companies make panic consolidations (Nokia -> Microsoft; Motorola -> Google). GM doubling down on their ICE and dropping a billion on a new flip phone V8 is the height of stupidity.

I think Rivian gets acquired. Their management has shown they are quite adept at putting lipstick on a pig. Very attractive for GM or perhaps a Chinese automaker looking to get into the US with a brand that has a good public image.

We don't know if anyone copied anyone. Tesla could have been working on the agreement before Ford, and it just wasn't made public until later. Or they could have been working on them in parallel. But we do know that all of the OEMs have been coping Tesla, at least in terms of partnering with battery manufacturers on opening plants in the US. Tesla started that in 2014...

More aggressively? Tesla has been securing mineral supplies since about 2015. (They procure the minerals that Panasonic uses at GigaNevada.) And Tesla consumes more batteries than anyone else.
I don’t know how to interpret being second as anything else than following. By definition. I view that as part of the reason Elon says Ford strategy is smart.

You do realize LG is the second largest battery producer after CATL? They are all in on batteries and yes ahead of Tesla in securing minerals.

Or it could be as simple that Texas is an energy hub. And it does not matter what kind of energy, if it brings jobs its cheered.
As I stated in my final sentence, that seems to be the political take for now. "We support all energy sources and jobs" was/is as far as Obama, Biden*, and now Abbott were/are willing to go. (Trump vocally "not so much" on the renewables). You can say "yes" to renewables, but you dang sure cannot so "no" to fossils. Not in this state, not yet and IMHO not soon.

Unfortunately, that cannot hold for avoiding full climate chaos. Happily burning oil alongside our wind turbines will not cut it. I still don't know how, but we have to find a way to leave it in the ground. Looking big picture, that's mostly still a slogan (laughed at by the non-green investor class IMHO).
*IMO Biden is a bit of a mixed bag here. Infamously allowed new Arctic drilling, but delving into the detail on that, it was largely a done deal (already leased) and they chose to negotiate a lesser production amount rather than fight (and likely lose) on the whole issue in court. But his admin also pushed through the IRA the the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law. Also, as Farzad Mesbahi pointed out in a recent video, Biden is being punished by the UAW for his support of the EV transition - they have apparently yet to endorse him... the EV transition being seen by the union as requiring less labor per car, thus a threat.

If the US govt really wanted job creation, there would be legislation for home, corporate, factory, and warehouse rooftop solar. Lots of rooftops and can't watch cat videos using gas to charge the phone.

Max pain is $167.5.

So as long as the option's tail is wagging, the SP dog, I think we close around here on Friday.
So…in the meantime we take a quick trip to 150 to close the gap? That’s what the pessimist in me thinks.

The bull (sugar) in me thinks they’ll reveal cybertruck pricing this week and we all climb aboard the rocketship. It smells like burnt hair but we all get stinkin rich.

I hear you. He is a politician and it would be astonishing and exceptional if he weren’t talking out of both sides of his mouth and doing contradictory things.

The point is that he showed up at all and said such positive things. Abbott could have decided not to attend this groundbreaking ceremony and he could have been less effusive in his praise for Elon and Tesla, and the same with the local officials. For instance, Samsung is currently building a much larger factory than Tesla’s lithium refinery for upwards of $20B invested into Texas, and it’s in the Austin area (much closer to where Abbott resides) but the governor did not attend their groundbreaking last year.

The bigger point is that Texas, more than anywhere else outside of OPEC and Russia, must be transformed if Tesla’s mission is to be completed. Texas simply can’t be ignored, and so I doubt it’s mere coincidence that Tesla decided to go set up shop there. Almost all of the thought leaders, executives and key employees in the O&G industry live in Texas, and if the mentality in this state changes then I think it will have profound ripple effects throughout the global hydrocarbon industry.

We are in the early stages of the breakup of Texas and oil, and it will be one of the ugliest, messiest, and most consequential divorces of all time. The fact that the Texan governor is doing this *at all* so early in the game, at a time when the local balance of power is still so heavily tilted in favor of O&G over renewables, is quite significant in my opinion. Considering who is paying for Abbott’s campaigns and considering the culture, history, and economic impact of the O&G industry in Texas, I would have expected closer to literally zero support at this point. Tesla showing up in Texas is like if a company on a mission to make corn farming obsolete were to establish a major nexus in Iowa and got the governor to roll out the red carpet for a grand welcome.

In the long run, Texas will become one of the world leaders in solar and wind. Geography and climate basically guarantees this outcome. In addition to having immense solar and wind resources and lots of flat open land, Texas also has a highly developed economy, a big manufacturing base, and convenient proximity to Mexico and its manufacturing base. Additionally, Texas’ manufacturing sector benefits from excellent logistics thanks to its central location, rail and highway infrastructure, and major deepwater ports on the Gulf of Mexico. Sooner or later, Texas will find out that the market demand for oil & gas is drying up while another energy goldmine is waiting right in their backyard to be exploited for development as fast as they can lay out panels on the prairie. There is too much money to be made for this opportunity to be ignored forever. The question is how fast this will happen. I think today’s event is another indication that Tesla is substantially helping accelerate the progress and by extension substantially accelerating their mission.
I think Abbott is trying to get some mileage with Elon who is now increasingly popular with conservatives. Good for the governor. It sure plays a role in his decision to attend the ground breaking ceremony

Last edited:
Hey guys. My +1 has not received a QR code for the Shareholder meeting yet. Perhaps it's delayed, perhaps there's a problem. Has anyone else that's a +1 not gotten it yet? Anyone know who I can reach out to? This persons email is tied to verified shares through Tesla. Not sure what the issue is but I don't want this to fall through for them. Thank you!

Reactions: ggies07