Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honest question...probably only for those who subscribe that the MM and heggies are guilty as F#@& in manipulation of TSLA. How do TSLA shareholders ever get free from their tractor beam? Even if we have a breakout to the upside, we've seen them effectively push it back down extreme points over many following days/weeks. Maybe the assumption is that they can only perform this extreme manipulation when the market/macro conditions are poor and therefore we're just waiting for a helpful macro that creates almost non-stop positive pressure that prevents the manipulators from regaining any foothold? Asking for a friend.
Legislative reform (ain't going to happen since WS keeps the right people happy).

Going private. Likewise... Wall Street has ensured that individual investors cannot effectively participate in markets other than the ones they can game.

The ads will have to be off the wall…

Random things like (in no particular order, just how they are popping in my head):

The rescue chopper approach to a mangled mess at the base of a 250+ foot cliff followed by the surviving occupants (not the driver who AFAIK is tied up in the criminal justice system) enjoying an ice cream cone;

The life of one litre of gasoline, from source to smog…followed by the life of a batch of lithium, from source to recycling to become new again…

My wife's Kona EV driving to the dealership to get a software update…followed by a message on my phone saying I have another software update, would I like to install it now or in the middle of the night tonight…

IDK, nuanced stuff like that.
You may remember the tragic death and serious injuries in the UK some time ago. Reportedly a £180,000 Range Rover was driven in London at 110 mph and driver lost control. Driver jailed recently, so back in the news.

Range Rover hit a supercharging Tesla and then ended up on railway (not hit by train, but fell).

Range Rover did have further damage after tesla impact but the poor Tesla driver that was initially hit was unharmed as far as I know. Their tesla looked fairly ok (all things considered). Range Rover real mess.

Not ok to turn this into an advert but both this and the Tesla falling 250 feet really has an effect on me.

A sober listing of Tesla safety, effects of pollution on children especially, energy independence/national security plus other benefits needs to reach a wider audience.

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 4.43.48 PM.png

Well, *sugar*.

The ads will have to be off the wall…

Random things like (in no particular order, just how they are popping in my head):

The rescue chopper approach to a mangled mess at the base of a 250+ foot cliff followed by the surviving occupants (not the driver who AFAIK is tied up in the criminal justice system) enjoying an ice cream cone;

The life of one litre of gasoline, from source to smog…followed by the life of a batch of lithium, from source to recycling to become new again…

My wife's Kona EV driving to the dealership to get a software update…followed by a message on my phone saying I have another software update, would I like to install it now or in the middle of the night tonight…

IDK, nuanced stuff like that.
#1. Simply a map showing all the SuperCharger locations. Few have any idea.

edit: what @Curt Renz said.

1677DFF6-4821-44CF-BD22-B90F3C8AF86D.jpeg

Last edited:
Edit

So what are some of your opinions on the new optimus reel?

As usual, I'm bullish but practical on Optimus progress. Much like FSD, I don't think they are anywhere near final software architectures. Heck I think they are still using a lot of straightforward techniques for motion planning, and they are nowhere near a robust balance control policy (that's why it only walks very slowly) but there are some good nuggets in there.

1) Not breaking the egg. This shows their sensory feedback systems working quite well. I was a bit concered relying only on actuator torque deltas (expected vs actual) and rotation deltas wouldn't be precise, but this is an indication that it is quite precise and with minimal time delays. The actual software could still be a simple PD controller, so not sure any advanced software there. But still, validation of the sensors working well.

2) Trajectory learning. I ulimately don't think you want to explicity learn to track human movements exactly but generally mimick them. However the ability to feed in a human set of trajectories and learning robotic policy end to end from deep learning is definite progress. You are removing at least one step from the heuristic process.

3) The biggest reason I am bullish on Optimus is the abiilty to add value even without advanced refinements. The reaching / grabbing tasks shown were possible because the objects were light and the robot could easily keep center of gravity in between feet without advanced control NNets.

But there is a plethora of tasks where such restricted movement is okay. We can imagine tasks where the robot walks slowly to go pick up a smaller tool or piece of metal and walk to another spot, then calmly use the tool. Or hand material to a Kuka robot.

What this means is, unlike FSD, Optimus can begin generating real value for a subset of possible tasks well before generalized software architectures are realized.

Optimus can replace some real human workers, maybe starting next year. Workers whose total cost easily surpasses $100k / year in western countries.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually believe Optimus will begin generating significant revenues before Robotaxi (not L2) does, and will never look back.

Elon has spoken several times regarding the value of FSD and robotaxis to the future value of TSLA. This includes the predicted 5x utility if the car is self driving and out earning money. One unknown I would like to understand better is how we expect the liability to be managed and is the liability greater or less overall in cost. This is particularly relevant as liability will shift to Tesla in some form. Consider two scenarios:

1. Current situation where human driver is at fault and severely injures passenger in his car and in another car. His family member riding in the car probably does not sue the driver but insurance helps with medical bills. Family in other car will sue and there is individual insurance plan for that. Driver is happy he was driving a Tesla.
  2. Self driving car causes same wreck with same injuries. Overall risk of this wreck occurring is less but now everyone is suing. There are insurance settlements and big lawsuits against one of the largest richest companies in the world (Tesla). The individual driver is no longer at fault and he is suing Tesla for making an unsafe product. His injured family member is suing Tesla for significantly more than the medical bills. Class action lawsuits crop up and lawyers specialize in suing Tesla for routine car wrecks. It is easy to imagine that any benefit in risk reduction does not save money overall if each wreck is more expensive. How should we design insurance products (and regulation) in this case?

Gary happened to be seated at the table next to mine at lunch today. I really wanted to ask him why he asked that question on price (but I chose not to interrupt his meal).

If you understand that Tesla is increasing production as rapidly as they can, then you have to understand that the price can only be set such that incoming order flow over time matches production. I.e. Tesla has no other option on pricing. Too high and inventory builds up. Too low and the waitlist builds up.

The only companies that have pricing flexibility are those that are controlling their production. It really shows Gary still thinks Tesla is demand limited (by the size of the “EV market”) and he believes they could increase production if they really wanted to
I think the energy in the room around the question and answer was pretty telling. We have us autists with IQ 110-140 who think we are clever and have figured out stuff about Tesla feeling very clever that we can win some debates against other IQ 110-140 on the internet. Then when one of us get to interact with Elon it becomes very clear how much more intelligent he is. His answer to Gary was such a moment, the answer was brilliant in its simplicity, and we feel a bit shamed that we didn't see the answer as clearly as him. I recommend to watch Elon interact with a few people that you relate to for any reason. Any random podcast. They will ask question and no matter the topic Elon will brilliantly answer the questions and his larger than life presence will humble them. Because Elon is on another level in his understanding and we would do better by trying to figure out why he thinks X than how to convince him of Y...

Here is the clip with Gary Black:
Also note 4 of our favourite people sitting there together!

Elon has spoken several times regarding the value of FSD and robotaxis to the future value of TSLA. This includes the predicted 5x utility if the car is self driving and out earning money. One unknown I would like to understand better is how we expect the liability to be managed and is the liability greater or less overall in cost. This is particularly relevant as liability will shift to Tesla in some form. Consider two scenarios:

1. Current situation where human driver is at fault and severely injures passenger in his car and in another car. His family member riding in the car probably does not sue the driver but insurance helps with medical bills. Family in other car will sue and there is individual insurance plan for that. Driver is happy he was driving a Tesla.
  2. Self driving car causes same wreck with same injuries. Overall risk of this wreck occurring is less but now everyone is suing. There are insurance settlements and big lawsuits against one of the largest richest companies in the world (Tesla). The individual driver is no longer at fault and he is suing Tesla for making an unsafe product. His injured family member is suing Tesla for significantly more than the medical bills. Class action lawsuits crop up and lawyers specialize in suing Tesla for routine car wrecks. It is easy to imagine that any benefit in risk reduction does not save money overall if each wreck is more expensive. How should we design insurance products (and regulation) in this case?
In this case Tesla is probably insuring the Robotaxi and will only offer the service where they can get or provide insurance cover.

The criteria for a Robotaxi is "safer than a human" and in some cases FSD software might be "considerably safer than a human" before it gets regulatory approval, and any accident might cause a temporary suspension of the FSD service.

In any court case "safer than a human" will be part of Tesla's legal defence, as will all of the circumstances surrounding the accident, including what Tesla has done to prevent a reoccurrence.

In addition Tesla cars have good crash safety and in most circumstances FSD can predict an accident will often slow down, and perhaps pre-deploy airbags.

No one is saying accidents will not occur, nothing in life is risk free. FSD only makes financial sense when the rate of accidents is very low, and serious injury or death from an accident is an extremely rare event.

IMO what most of the debate is missing is that the average human driver is average, even the best human drivers sometimes make mistakes, and the worst human drivers are no better than "Russian Roulette". An additional factor is different human drivers make different decisions in the same situation, they can do sudden things, that are hard to predict in advance, and that can happen so rarely that it happens when you least expect it.

As well as being safer, FSD needs to be predictable, and that includes correct use of the indicators at all times. Sometimes humans signal with the indicator then change their mind.

Last edited:
You may remember the tragic death and serious injuries in the UK some time ago. Reportedly a £180,000 Range Rover was driven in London at 110 mph and driver lost control. Driver jailed recently, so back in the news.

Range Rover hit a supercharging Tesla and then ended up on railway (not hit by train, but fell).

Range Rover did have further damage after tesla impact but the poor Tesla driver that was initially hit was unharmed as far as I know. Their tesla looked fairly ok (all things considered). Range Rover real mess.

Not ok to turn this into an advert but both this and the Tesla falling 250 feet really has an effect on me.

A sober listing of Tesla safety, effects of pollution on children especially, energy independence/national security plus other benefits needs to reach a wider audience.
I wouldn’t be against that infomercial, but I can tell you it won’t be received well by a portion of the public for obvious reasons. So, if this is what Tesla chooses to ‘advertise’, expect to hear all sorts of critics, negativity etc…

Amazing results for Tesla AEB vs pretty much every other car shown:
That Mach-E and the BMW uses mobile eye...you know the anywhere FSD system almost ready for prime time which will make Tesla's look like trash. I guess Mobile Eye is just hiding their best behind closed doors as client side releases are allowed to plow through pedestrians and bicyclists.

Honest question...probably only for those who subscribe that the MM and heggies are guilty as F#@& in manipulation of TSLA. How do TSLA shareholders ever get free from their tractor beam? Even if we have a breakout to the upside, we've seen them effectively push it back down extreme points over many following days/weeks. Maybe the assumption is that they can only perform this extreme manipulation when the market/macro conditions are poor and therefore we're just waiting for a helpful macro that creates almost non-stop positive pressure that prevents the manipulators from regaining any foothold? Asking for a friend.

Increasing EPS above current median estimates

Sigh. I would have loved to meet her. No idea what she looks like but I'm guessing she wasn't the girl wearing the too small cowboy outfit, yet again.

Sigh. I would have loved to meet her. No idea what she looks like but I'm guessing she wasn't the girl wearing the too small cowboy outfit, yet again.
She was there speaking on one of the shareholder proposals. She spoke right before the Nun. 🤫