Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

...he comes up with 2.5M max capacity before CT (and only gets THERE by using significantly higher max production for Berlin and Austin than even Tesla claims they have)... and then says there's "plenty of production capacity" for 50% growth in 2024 with CT figured in.

1.8 * 1.5= 2.7 million.

He seems to then figure CT gets you to 2.75-2.85.

Anybody here take seriously the idea they're gonna make at least 250k CTs in 2024?

(or that they're gonna hit max capacity at every plant the entire year on every other vehicle for that matter- including significantly more at both Berlin and Austin than Tesla even has per Teslas own info)

(which even if they did would just barely hit 50%, not have "plenty" of capacity for it)

I don't think it matters significantly if 2024 is 40% unit growth vs 50%, the 50% goal was always stated as averaged over years-- but the mental gymnastics people keep going through to somehow get to 50% in '24 is... dizzying.

Last edited:
...he comes up with 2.5M max capacity before CT... and then says there's "plenty of production capacity" for 50% growth in 2024.

1.8 * 1.5= 2.7 million.

Anybody here take seriously the idea they're gonna make at least 250k CTs in 2024?

(or that they're gonna hit max capacity at every plant the entire year on every other vehicle for that matter- including 25k MORE than Teslas own stated max for Berlin?)

(which even if they did would just barely hit 50%, not have "plenty" of capacity for it)

I don't think it matters significantly if 2024 is 40% unit growth vs 50%, the 50% goal was always stated as averaged over years-- but the mental gymnastics people keep going through to somehow get to 50% in '24 is... dizzying.
No. Elon stressed how slow the ramp will be on the CT. I'd be surprised to see over 150k CTs next year. There's almost no chance they hit 5,000 CTs right out of the gate.

...he comes up with 2.5M max capacity before CT (and only gets THERE by using significantly higher max production for Berlin and Austin than even Tesla claims they have)... and then says there's "plenty of production capacity" for 50% growth in 2024 with CT figured in.

1.8 * 1.5= 2.7 million.

(or that they're gonna hit max capacity at every plant the entire year on every other vehicle for that matter- including significantly more at both Berlin and Austin than Tesla even has per Teslas own info)

250K would be too much in 1 year, but they could ramp the Semi as well. Any extra could go back to MY etc too. cheers!!

Reactions: Nocturnal
Last edited:
What's the issue with this?

The grants state that the hydrogen creation must be clean, i.e. not be made using power from oil/coal, etc.

It's not talking about consumer vehicles, but things like fertilizer, energy storage, ships, aircraft, and petrochemicals from what I skimmed.
Consider this very carefully... H is atomic number 1 - size matters whenever leaks are of a concern.
Gasoline: (We already know how gas can leak on older cars or equipment)

1697218110577.png

Methane: (Natural Gas)

1697218331020.png

Hydrogen:

1697218090110.png

Better not come to Az. Seals die quickly here.
Also, people could just shoot Hydrogen storage for some excitement. Electrical Transformers had their time.
Not to mention the round-trip energy efficiency argument, I'll leave that for the others.

Right, I think the overall consensus is that we overbuild renewables first, then take that extra clean energy and use it to make clean hydrogen...
That appears to be a pretty silly consensus because you'll use about 5X energy to produce 1X hydrogen. Only the fossil fuel companies like this kind of negative return.

Consider this very carefully... H is atomic number 1 - size matters whenever leaks are of a concern.
Gasoline: (We already know how gas can leak on older cars or equipment)

View attachment 981904

Methane: (Natural Gas)

View attachment 981905
Hydrogen:

View attachment 981903
Better not come to Az. Seals die quickly here.
Also, people could just shoot Hydrogen storage for some excitement. Electrical Transformers had their time.
Not to mention the round-trip energy efficiency argument, I'll leave that for the others.
That's really your argument against it? It's like being scared of Nuclear. It's much better for the environment and can be much cheaper.

Anyone heard of Gray Hydrogen?

"Gray hydrogen, for example, is made using natural gas in a process that uses steam to break apart methane molecules to produce hydrogen and carbon dioxide. This is the most common form of hydrogen fuel available, according to the World Economic Forum."

No wonder Joe Manchin is on board with 10K jobs for WV claimed from the Bill. And how do we create steam in West Virginia? Coal comes to mind. 🤷‍♂️

(Edit: The bill requires use of clean energy... I didn't see that part. But why is Joe pleased then?)

Last edited:
That's really your argument against it? It's like being scared of Nuclear. It's much better for the environment and can be much cheaper.

Hydrogen can not be stored long term due to the size of the H2 molecule (every material is porous to hydrogen). Hydrogen must be consumed shortly after it is produced, typically less than 24 hrs. That is why current hydrogen filling stations use natural gas (methane) as a source stock, and produce hydrogen at the moment of delivery. It's a terrible waste of resources, and a fool's errand for vehicles. You'd be better off charging batteries w. renewables, or just burning the methane directly for ICE vehicles.

The issue is that 'clean' hydrogen nets only about 7-10% EROI. If you are going to allocate capital, you'd pick lithium batteries.

Cheers!
Exactly. Hydrogen is absurdly impractical and not cost effective. Also, minor inconveniences like:
hindenberg-2.jpg

and:

Also, I just reported my own post- I just wasn't thinking about all the replies- and I'm requesting MODS kindly move them and my original hydrogen post these replies to it's proper thread, didn't mean to make more work.

Last edited:
Exactly. Hydrogen is absurdly impractical and not cost effective. Also, minor inconveniences like:
View attachment 981912
and:

Also, I just reported my own post- I just wasn't thinking about all the replies- and I'm requesting MODS kindly move them and my original hydrogen post these replies to it's proper thread, didn't mean to make more work.
They are using Gray Hydrogen (from Methane) in that video! I can assure you the steam needed for this reaction aint coming from the grid. This is nuts, but no surprise.

That appears to be a pretty silly consensus because you'll use about 5X energy to produce 1X hydrogen. Only the fossil fuel companies like this kind of negative return.
hmm...I'm not saying overbuild for the purpose of clean hydrogen, it just becomes a side benefit. Here is an old article: