Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most advanced? Did they bring back sensors so it will auto park itself in a garage like a 2018 model 3? Or automatically parallel park or park in a Parking lot?

Looks like a great truck but feature wise teslas are getting less and less.
Let's see...steer by wire....48V electrical system...bulletproof body...V2H........able to extend range after purchase!

But yeah...if that is nothing to you...ok.

Last edited:
Does it? Because I've already seen 3 threads just on here of folks whining they put down a deposit for a 500 mile range tri-motor for like 70k and now they're being asked to pay 116k for 440 miles of range AND give up 1/3rd of the bed and some large % of cargo capacity to do it.
What I'm very curious about, though doubt we will ever find out, is what tech advances did Tesla estimate when they projected a 500+ mile range on the top end at the 2019 presentation? I would think there was reasoning behind that number.

The range extender is a gimmick and I doubt it is what they had in mind in 2019. The cybertruck has a lot of cool stuff but for the current price and the range, the model s plaid looks to be a better buy right now.

Let's see...steer by wire....46V electrical system...bulletproof body...V2H........able to extend range after purchase!

Yah it’s great. But actual driving stuff is also important. It could be made out of laser beams and fend off Russian nukes. But I would prefer that it could auto park itself in my garage like my model Y.

To each his own though.

Last edited:
*Active Cybertruck reservations placed before November 30, 2023, qualify for $1,000 off any new Model S, Model 3, Model X or Model Y ordered by December 31, 2023. Used vehicles are not eligible. Offer is limited to one per customer account, is nontransferable and may be combined with other offers. Terms are subject to change without notice.

Wowsers! Your $100 CT reservation placed 4 yrs ago is now worth $1,000? That's a 78% CAGR! :D

... and you can STILL transer your lifetime free Supercharging from your legacy S/X? Excellent deal. Gonna sell many many...

Cheers!

...what tech advances did Tesla estimate when they projected a 500+ mile range on the top end at the 2019 presentation?

The range extender is a gimmick and I doubt it is what they had in mind in 2019.
It's obvious that the 4680 ramp - and the costs of raw materials - has not gone according to those hopes. (Still going to get a Cybertruck)

RE: extender battery... I wouldn't go so far as to call it a gimmick, but it does help get the range to nearly 500 miles. Tesla never said the range of the Cybertruck would be 500 miles "with no battery extender in the bed."

What I'm very curious about, though doubt we will ever find out, is what tech advances did Tesla estimate when they projected a 500+ mile range on the top end at the 2019 presentation? I would think there was reasoning behind that number.

The range extender is a gimmick and I doubt it is what they had in mind in 2019. The cybertruck has a lot of cool stuff but for the current price and the range, the model s plaid looks to be a better buy right now.

Possibly the rest of the battery day tech, like 100% Si anodes. It will be interesting to see how densely packed the pack is.

SmartSelect_20231130_205509_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

That's almost 1/2 kWh/mi. Am I alone to have thought Tesla would do better here?

"There's a handy way of quickly comparing how efficient electric cars are compared to traditional cars. Just take the miles per kWh figure and multiply by 40. So an efficient 4 miles per kWh electric car is the equivalent of a 160 MPG car."​

TL;dr dual-motor CT is equivalent to an F-150 4x4 that gets 93 mpg. And you can install a gas station on your roof to boot... ;)

Tesla silicon is the missing piece. Energy density continues to be current gen's 4680s shortcoming but at least they got the dry electric diode worked out which makes CT production possible within GigaTexas.

The Range extender will Never be sold, just makes no Sense at all

It’s too heavy to be easily removed, it’s not possible to truly fast charge as of cooling complexity, it worsens every spec of the car including the ones you care for when buying into the extender which is range and charge times as more weight is less range and the extender can’t keep up with vehicle charging speed

Really? If it weighs the same (or less) than 3 Powerwalls (800 lbs), and can be charged via L3 CCS chargers (50 KW), then I'd buy one for my 4'x6' Utility trailer that I tow with my Model Y. The range externder is cheaper than 3 Powerwalls, and it's PORTABLE! :D

Let's see...steer by wire....48V electrical system...bulletproof body...V2H........able to extend range after purchase!

I wouldn't bet on it being real V2H over J1772 / Tesla connector, until we actually have that confirmed.

It's probably just taking the easy route of "Well, there's a big 240V connector already, treat it like a portable generator that can power some of your home"

Edit: Well, apparently there's already specs posted on another page and it's real V2H. I completely missed that, since it's on another page entirely, and not in the main Cybertruck page (at least that I saw, beyond the 11.5kW rating). Oops. :D

Last edited:
I wouldn't bet on it being real V2H over J1772 / Tesla connector, until we actually have that confirmed.

It's probably just taking the easy route of "Well, there's a big 240V connector already, treat it like a portable generator that can power some of your home"
Specs already shared... 9.6kWh via outlet or 11.5kW via wall connector connected to a Tesla gateway and/or Powerwall setup to your house.