Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? The rear view is up all the time on the screen (maybe only when tonneau is closed?) and local to what you’re looking at onscreen already. Why would showing the rear view way up at the top of the windshield be cool?

Cybertruck’s approach seems different, not worse. It’s certainly cheaper and means less to go wrong.
1) For occasions when the bed cover is open, a reflective mirror would need to be in that location anyway

2) If there's going to be a mirror in that location, making it also one capable of both reflective and digital display makes sense for when the cover is closed

3) As has been pointed out, wanting to see loads you are carrying in the bed isn't possible with the camera display

4) There may be modes of the console screen that don't always display the rear-cam (or you may not want it to if you had another option

5) Many people are used to and/or prefer looking in that location

6) Those dual units are cool.

Speaking of mirrors I saw that the side mirrors on CT are very easily removable (no tools?). What are the chances the wiring harness is there to replace them with cams when the NTSB finally allows that?

Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.

Attachments

• IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
It's steer by wire,

Which was specifically touted...

break by wire,

Let's hope not. 😝

throttle by wire, everything by wire. Clearly discussed in the Hagerty video but I think it's been covered elsewhere as well.

Hmmm, watched that yesterday, and don't recall brake by wire being mentioned... actually just went back and looked at the segment headings, and SbW is mentiond, byt not BbW...
Literally everything on the cybertruck from the breaks to the speakers is on the same CAN network running at GB speeds.

Again, I hope it's more reliable than that;)

Even if the owner could technically remove it, they would need an engine hoist to do so.

Removable by Tesla, sure. It's going to be a low volume option due to price, size, and drawbacks.
This is not an unsolvable problem. I would actually rate engineering a user friendly, reliable, quick disconnect (for both HVDC and cooling) that doesn't cost a fortune as a harder thing to do.

Once you have that solved, the actual removal and installation isn't that hard to engineer. As an example, campers and covers that drop into a truck bed have been around forever, complete with end user removal and installation by having it supported/ jacked up off the truck, and simply driving away. Installation being the opposite.

Granted, a solution for a battery pack might not be cheap, but it doesn't require any new technology.

At the price they're asking, hopefully some end user solution is available.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
I like the cybertruck & leaning towards getting one as a 4 passenger truck would be pretty useful for me.

As an investor I really don't see that stainless was worth the added manufacturing weight, cost and ramp issues. It isn't clear to me of how much is gained by having the exterior shell provide crash impact vs. larger body with more traditional stamped steel / aluminum.
You cant dent it with a hammer. Thats one of the main reasons I want 1. If it didnt have it Im not sure Id want it. The older I get, the more I need things I can rely on at all times. I dont want to be worrying about people denting my car or the paint coming off if I hit a plastic trash can. Its perfect. An F-U vehicle. Makes sense?

Last edited:
Marques half-heartedly mentioned that the back window does not go down. This will be a real negative. A BIG negative if you planned to camp IN it. And a large percentage did.
THERE IS NO OVERNIGHT OR GLAMPING CONSIDERATION IN THE DESIGN. PERIOD. Every other Tesla is better for road trip camping than the cyber(Nota)truck. The tent option is pure HS. $3K for an unsecured awkward tent?... You might as well just get a great tent for less than $500. But you can do that kind of camping with any electric vehicle that has a 120 outlet.
Four years ago I signed up for a cyber NOTA truck because I envisioned it being a step forward into the Tesla camping aspect. It 's bed is called a damn BED!
And since the minimal amount of through space was expected to be a window that went down some of us were hoping for a brushed stainless camper shell to make the Cyber "livable." But at least the bed was going to get some AC. Now you can't even have your dogs in the bed with the window down. Not cool (pun intended)
Yes you could sleep on the back floorboard if you aren't 6ft. I am over 6ft.
And 2 people can't sleep on the floorboard.

After the Carmudgeon video I was psyched to get mine.
I never thought they would make the bed unliveable. They engineered/designed the bed to the least it can possibly be...a closet.
Love the electric improvements, love the steering. I WILL BE ABLE TO GET ALL OF THOSE IN THE NEXT Y. The BED was the big thing that the design and engineering teams had that was new.... and they put a dumb ss sliding tonneau cover on it. That looks stupid as well.and that tonneau cover delivers less and cost a boatload.
Now all the TSLA fanbois can give me a thumbs down for giving some REAL insight into the shortcoming of the cyber NOTA. You're blinded buy the fear of your stock dropping. If I had money in TSLA I'd be sad too.
A LOT of good things...but nothing that makes the cyber(NOTA)truck camp able except the clearance.
The bed is not unlivable, it's actually quite utilitarian. It has a built-in L-Track system and an assortment of other tie-downs (see this video I tried time-stamping it but if that didn't work the bed overview starts at about 35.45), so one can mount a proper camper in the bed with a little ingenuity. And with 20A and 40A service right in the bed, it'll meet and exceed the needs of quite a few campers.

I got no problem cutting into/modifying new vehicles, and lots of others don't either. There will be some pretty inventive, creative, cool camping/living modifications to the CT, just you wait.

EDIT: Also, in the same video, elsewhere Lars mentions the bed cover increases efficiency by 10%, which is quite substantial. A good video, where Lars and Franz speak quite a bit, worth the watch.

In the early days of the Model S, there were no Superchargers (unless you happened to live in the part of California where the three Superchargers were installed).
Took delivery of my first S in 2012. I did several road trips on 14-50s and J-1772s before the SCs appeared on the east coast. I’m talking about once the 90kW Superchargers came out.

So we are now in the last month of 2023, not many trading days left. What does everyone think the stock will do for the next few weeks? Will we see a rally into 2024 or will we drop lower to start 2024 at a low point?
Q4 should be a record quarter. 2023 should be a record year. 1.8M should be achieved and surpassed. Highland + China price increases roll into the mix, with Highland near fully ramped. COG decreasing. Margins should increase. Interest rates likely holding or dropping.

I see green over the next few months.

1) For occasions when the bed cover is open, a reflective mirror would need to be in that location anyway

2) If there's going to be a mirror in that location, making it also one capable of both reflective and digital display makes sense for when the cover is closed

3) As has been pointed out, wanting to see loads you are carrying in the bed isn't possible with the camera display

4) There may be modes of the console screen that don't always display the rear-cam (or you may not want it to if you had another option

5) Many people are used to and/or prefer looking in that location

6) Those dual units are cool.

Speaking of mirrors I saw that the side mirrors on CT are very easily removable (no tools?). What are the chances the wiring harness is there to replace them with cams when the NTSB finally allows that?

If there were a vanity mirror on the driver's sun shade which can be adjusted to see the load, this might be one way to do it as-is.

An aftermarket (removable?) mirror that could be mounted for that purpose is another way. Suction cup to windshield?

But, yeah, having a display in the mirror that could see the load area would be useful. Might be easy enough to add another camera (OEM or aftermarket) that interfaces with the CT display screen via Bluetooth. Perhaps with manual switching from Backup to Bed view via touchscreen button.

In my Transit van with no rear windows at all it has a rear view mirror with backup camera display. It has now been modified so the display is always on, otherwise it only showed a picture when in reverse. It can be handy at rare times, but I don't use it as much as I thought I would, other than as designed for backing up.

Considering how rarely most people would want/need this, it is probably better to devise an easy solution on your own than to expect it as standard equipment. Best part...

Last edited:
Q4 should be a record quarter. 2023 should be a record year. 1.8M should be achieved and surpassed. Highland + China price increases roll into the mix, with Highland near fully ramped. COG decreasing. Margins should increase. Interest rates likely holding or dropping.

I see green over the next few months.
As a caveat, Q4 will almost certainly miss profit ‘expectations’ unless they pull an energy rabbit out of the bag.

Right, but side mirror cams aren't allowed yet. And Tesla has displayed cam in that location on demo vehicles...
On Cybertruck? I've seen it on other models.
Rethinking, the fender cams may not have the rear visibility convergence required to replace external mirrors, maybe blending with rear camera will be allowed.
HW4 does have those extra camera ports though.
Will be interesting if FMVSS requires minor adjacent screens, in which case that blind spot LED indicator might be a place holder.

• Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax
Reactions: traxila