Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seem to remember all the WS crybabies when apple stopped giving iphone guidance some years back
this is a good move by Tesla I hope they stop giving unit volume forecast going forward ... like apple what will matter is the fleet ...over time services and sw revenue will be the growth engines ...
as we have seen the volume forecasts are used against TSLA throughout the year by MSM
Prior to 2020 Tesla did not give solid guidance. There were a lot of statements to end of quarter "run rates" which would confuse many as they would just take the run rate multiples by the number of weeks.

Here is the 2019 "Outlook".

Model 3 production volumes in Fremont should gradually continue to grow throughout 2019 and reach a sustained rate of 7,000 units per week by the end of the year. We are planning to continue to produce Model 3 vehicles at maximum production rates throughout 2019. Inclusive of Gigafactory Shanghai, where we are initially aiming for 3,000 Model 3 vehicles per week, our goal is to be able to produce 10,000 vehicles per week on a sustained basis. Barring unexpected challenges with Gigafactory Shanghai, we are targeting annualized Model 3 output in excess of 500,000 units sometime between Q4 of 2019 and Q2 of 2020.

Personally I am ok with no guidance as long as there is an internal target to drive the team. The capacities they have in the deck for each plant give similar information to what they would publish prior to 2020 with possible run rates.

Sell as many cars as you can at a reasonable margin. I would not cut Model 3 pricing further to chase volume as you begin to eat into the future $25K car volumes.

Ford's total cost per EV is $85K and likely getting worse due to recent production cuts.

With the average cost about $36k+ Tesla is in a great position.

Gary Black seems to agree now as well.

Last edited:
Keep in mind for the volume they are planning to make with next gen, introducing new architecture is a no brainer, hell, they are creating equipment to make it from scratch because it doesn't exist. True on the losses, but it might have considerably less power than even SR vehicles today, so wire gauge will still go down

On cell temperature, they don't monitor every cell, not even close, this info is old and might be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken Model 3 long ago had 7 temperature sensors per module, 28 in total for over 4000 cells

Sure.... they don't have 1000's of thermistors... but if they are having to double the number of cells per brick, I had suggested, that I "suspect that means 2X temp sensors" in each brick... but just conjecture.

1) No matter how hard people try to predict the future: we prove time and again that we simply cannot. Many posts are about this, but I mostly skip them. Sometimes people will proudly present how they were right in the past, but they always seem to forget the multiple times they were wrong. And Technical Analysis? Same category.

2) Fundamentals and facts of Tesla, its management and its competitors, are the things that count and that we can hold on to. Please keep the SWOT acronym in mind...

Very well put. Remembering the hits while forgetting the misses is baked into human psychology. I had to look up SWOT, but I agree with all your main points.

Though I may pick up a few more shares today, I still feel less confident in that decision. But continue to feel hopeful about Tesla’s future overall.

I think people forget that one of the main priorities for highland was to make the car easier (quicker) to build. You cant look at pre-highland model 3 production rates and assume they are set in stone. Its absolutely inconceivable that Tesla would not take the opportunity of Highland/Juniper to increase production efficiency for those lines.
Also worth remembering that Berlin does not make the model 3 yet. The 3 definitely has a market in Europe, but its not helped by having to ship them there from shanghai. I'm sure eventually Tesla will add a 3 line to Berlin. In fact it may have made sense for them to wait until highland was established before doing so?

Highland has already seen price cuts in China, and it doesn't get the $7500 IRA credit in the US on any version currently for sale... (plus the EV credits lost in the EU)-- all adds up to I think expecting 3 sales to be able to absorb any significant production increase this year being....highly optimistic.

Bots next year going to factories only?

Given they're still just now hiring people to come up with design and architecture documents at a very high level for the bot (ie hiring the guy to figure out WHAT the final sensor suite even needs to be and write architecture docs and design PCB schematics for it, etc), meaning they don't even have final design requirements and spec docs for the "mass production" version yet, nor the spec/architecture docs on either limited or mass production lines (again, they've JUST RECENTLY posted job listings looking for the folks to start that work)- I think Elons "maybe" ship "some" in 2025 would most realistically be read that way yes.

In that context I could maybe see some of the hand-built pre-production ones being tested in factory by end of this year, and likely the low-production line they're just now hiring someone to figure out will make some non-hand-built prototypes to similarly test that way perhaps by early next year- with "final" production candidates coming of the line later in 2025 for initial factory trials.

But as noted on the call they also need to make it be able to do enough useful things, which it currently does not.... (and there's a bunch of hiring postings on that side too, looking for people to design AI learning systems and such--harder to predict how quickly that'll produce results).

I don't have revenue projections but on the investment side, I believe we can estimate about $35k per supercharger.
Return on investment obviously depends on utilization.
I stopped at a 40 stall location in Dillion SC and I was the only car charging. This $1.4m investment will take a few years to achieve a payback.
However, the Supercharger at the Florida Mall in Orlando has 16 Superchargers that appear to have a line all the time. I bet the payback is less than a year.

We can safely surmise that the worst - maybe 10% to 20% - of sites in terms of cost and utilization will probably never make any money. The best sites are profitable on a 10 to 15 year amortization schedule. The average site is probably somewhere around breakeven.

Musk’s goal of 30% gross margin and 10% net margin is probably a long term goal. The fleet is still too small to achieve that.
The Tesla fleet is 5 million vehicles. If you assume a generous $300 per vehicle in annual revenue, that is only $1.8 billion per annum. As other manufacturers come on board and the Tesla fleet explodes with the next gen vehicle, the fleet will 10x or even 20x over the next decade and 10% net margin will become a reality

Supercharger revenue is included in the services and others reporting segment which was $8.3 billion revenue and $500 million gross margin last year.
The fact that they choose to bury the numbers points to them not being very significant

What's the fake drama? An analyst's role is to analyse intrinsic value and predict short term movements. Yesterday Dan Ives did just that, and it would seem quite correctly so. Anyone listening to him for short movement advice could have sold at market opening a price about 4% higher that at the end of the day and anyone interested in the long perspective would have heard him saying he still believes Tesla has a lot of interesting long term potential. Hence his price target, considerably above today's stock price.
Not sure if serious but I'll bite.

No. Their role is only one - to manipulate the stock as much as possible to maximize profits. This unfortunately seem to be missed a lot but not by the 'media'
The 'media' such as cnbs is an another tool which they use for that same very reason.

Sure it is, have you done the math?

Yes. I think your math is some version of funny math.

If we take only last years actuals and exit run rates (N.B. Shanghai Dec '23 wholesale was 93.5K units, or 1.1M annualized

If we take last years actual exit run rate, you would know we are near 2 million annualized. Where in the world are you getting an uptick of 500,000 extra vehicles over the course of the year? That would require an 2024 exit run rate near 3 million annualized. Lolz

all we need to do is bring up Giga Texas Model Y Production to the existing level of Giga Berlin. Here's the numbers:

Giga Berlin is producing 50,000 per quarter currently. Texas producing 40,000 Model Y per quarter. Berlin is nowhere near the 350k per year you are assuming. Texas getting to Berlin production rates would add 40,000 extra Model Ys per year.

Question is, will Tesla want to do it? Of course! They'be already invested 100% of the CapEx required to build this capacity, all they have to do is continue to run it at 2023's 'exit rate' and bring TX up to match Berlin...

Of course not.

Not only does actual production rates ever match capacity, you are just making up that assumption. They have been under Model Y capacity in Berlin and Austin for a while now. Yes at some point they might ramp up to closer to full utilization but there is no data to show that happening.

and TX is getting 100GWh of 4680 cell capacity by mid-year, already at 25 GWh with just one production line (+2 test lines are extra, installing the 4th line as we speak). Plus, Drew told us YESTERDAY that they are weeks ahead on 4680 production vs needs for CT.

Wow. An even more egregious assumption. Capacity is not actual production rate. You...know that 4680 line is producing at a rate well below capacity, right?

Installing 4 lines (100 GWh capacity) does not mean we are getting anything near that produced. We'd be lucky to get 25 GWh.

Drew saying they are weeks ahead of Cybertruck production means almost nothing in terms of 4680 progress. Cybertrucks are being produced at what, a few hundred a week? Maybe 500? If we assume 500, that's like a 3 GWh run rate from one line.

Install 3 more lines at current rates and you get 12 GWh run rate, not 100. Then we have to make some assumptions at how much can they speed up the lines during the course of the year. Uh, 8x increase in speed seems unrealistic. I'd go with maybe double.

So maybe at some point we are producing 25 GWh of 4680 batteries annualized later this year. Good for say an extra (250k - 300k vehicles). But that's a run rate at end of year so maybe supports 100k extra vehicles through the course of the year.

Plus, on top of all this, they literally said on the earnings call that growth would be significantly slower than last year. Last year YoY was ~ 39%. If we assume 20% YoY growth on top of 1.8 million, we get 2.2 million.

All the data and guidance says we are getting around 2.2 million this year.

We can safely surmise that the worst - maybe 10% to 20% - of sites in terms of cost and utilization will probably never make any money. The best sites are profitable on a 10 to 15 year amortization schedule. The average site is probably somewhere around breakeven.

Musk’s goal of 30% gross margin and 10% net margin is probably a long term goal. The fleet is still too small to achieve that.
The Tesla fleet is 5 million vehicles. If you assume a generous $300 per vehicle in annual revenue, that is only $1.8 billion per annum. As other manufacturers come on board and the Tesla fleet explodes with the next gen vehicle, the fleet will 10x or even 20x over the next decade and 10% net margin will become a reality

Supercharger revenue is included in the services and others reporting segment which was $8.3 billion revenue and $500 million gross margin last year.
The fact that they choose to bury the numbers points to them not being very significant

I get the fleet size thing but aren’t most superchargers (outside the US and Canada) open to all EV makes? I would think that would push the numbers up somewhat.

After many, many years on this forum, please allow me to TRY to take a step back overlooking what we are (and have been) sharing here.
Two things stand out for me (apart from the sometimes very funny posts, that I appreciate).

1) No matter how hard people try to predict the future: we prove time and again that we simply cannot. Many posts are about this, but I mostly skip them. Sometimes people will proudly present how they were right in the past, but they always seem to forget the multiple times they were wrong. And Technical Analysis? Same category.
2) Fundamentals and facts of Tesla, its management and its competitors, are the things that count and that we can hold on to. Please keep the SWOT acronym in mind. However, a stock price that tanks on investor's emotions and analysts bla-bla may be seen as a fact, but is worthless for the long term investors thesis. Is the company healthy and the management doing ànd planning as they should do? That is what counts. For any company.
So, please keep the information/facts like from @The Accountant flowing into this thread please. As investors we should be very grateful for the effort some people like them put into this.

So is TSLA’s future, while being OK on number 2) in my opinion, all rosey?
Well no, while European competition is not a threat, the Chinese are a threat in my opinion. Flooding the market with relatively cheap cars in a lot of price categories is something that is already starting. Unless import tariffs are being used. However, that is only a temporary help for old auto, as they are barely innovating. A threat to Tesla? Time will tell.
And then there is Elon’s compensation plan. Thanks for the insightful post of @Artful Dodger about this subject, but for me personally it poses investor’s uncertainty for now.

While we all know that EV manufacturers from China do produce a lot of EVs, I don't see it as a threat for Tesla Electric Cars. I'd say that ICE manufacturers should worry a lot because they don't have anything to offer and they have not been able to make a meaningful change.

Another thing that has been prevalent is that Tesla is being treated as EV only company. While mostly true so far, the shift to energy storage, robotics, AI and many others have been unnoticed. The ties with X, SpaceX, BoringCo., Neuralink, Starlink will matter a lot eventually as their technology have been and will be interchangeable to all Tesla.

I also hope that the recent 'tight lips' from Elon and the rest will pay off. We'll see a lot of good and unannounced products.

Prior to 2020 Tesla did not give solid guidance. There were a lot of statements to end of quarter "run rates" which would confuse many as they would just take the run rate multiples by the number of weeks.

Model 3 production volumes in Fremont should gradually continue to grow throughout 2019 and reach a sustained rate of 7,000 units per week by the end of the year. We are planning to continue to produce Model 3 vehicles at maximum production rates throughout 2019. Inclusive of Gigafactory Shanghai, where we are initially aiming for 3,000 Model 3 vehicles per week, our goal is to be able to produce 10,000 vehicles per week on a sustained basis. Barring unexpected challenges with Gigafactory Shanghai, we are targeting annualized Model 3 output in excess of 500,000 units sometime between Q4 of 2019 and Q2 of 2020.

Personally I am ok with no guidance as long as there is an internal target to drive the team. The capacities they have in the deck for each plant give similar information to what they would publish prior to 2020 with possible run rates.

Sell as many cars as you can at a reasonable margin. I would not cut Model 3 pricing further to chase volume as you begin to eat into the future $25K car volumes.

Ford's total cost per EV is $85K and likely getting worse due to recent production cuts.

It was a different world back then, when Tesla was giving that guidance. Tesla was most definitely production constrained, even at high gross margins. So volume only depended on their execution. Now it looks like Tesla has become demand constrained on their existing models, even at lower gross margins. It took all of us by surprise how rapidly Tesla has had to drop prices, consider advertising and began pulling of other demand levers, coming off the months long waitlists that existed not long ago. I am sure it took Tesla by surprise as well (given they were previously guiding for much higher operating margins…).

This is a topic I think this forum should spend some time on and would be of value to all of us.

My gut tells me that this will become the next "competition is coming" scare. I don't think it will so easy for China to make a huge impact outside of Asia soon. They will get there but it will take much longer than people think, imo. I had some exposure/experience in China during my career but it would be great to hear from others on this topic.

Here is why I think the Chinese EV expansion outside of Asia will be slower than expected:
1. To reach huge volumes, manufacturing facilities will need to be established in Europe and North America
2. There are currently not many Chinese huge end to end manufacturing facilities outside of Asia (some in North Africa . . Investments starting in Mexico).
3. Mexico will be key to entering the US market and in Mexico the 3rd Party Supply chain is not comparable to China's supply chain. The auto supply chain is there in Mexico but the Chinese companies will need to establish their supply chain and may find that efficiencies are not like China. China's supply chain network is the best in the world.
4. There will be cultural issues. Often Chinese companies will insert Chinese ex-pats in most of the senior management roles whom are not tuned to the local cultural differences and can create mistrust, frustration and poor performance. A friend of mine that works at a Chinese bank in South America tells me that in management meetings, the conversation at times can move to Mandarin. The ex-pats will speak in Mandarin for 10 min then summarize for the locals with 2 sentences.

China can start with exports but I believe to be a huge threat to Tesla they will need to build manufacturing capacity abroad and this will take time and come with some hiccups.

Please others with thoughts . . . chime in.

.Tesla has factory in China, EU. BYD and others don't have factories in US and EU. So with IRA, EU tariffs they need to spend a lot in order to enter EU, US and compete with tesla
.Tesla has 29B in cash, I think most of Chinese companies don't have this and need to take on more debt
.M2/Q enters the segment where BYD is king.
that said all ICE is transitioning to EV so the pie is getting bigger, and Chinese companies like BYD are gonna take market share away from ICE and put a dent in Teslas market share as well.
.on batteries, Tesla does not have advantage over CATL, BYD yet ... if 4680 is fully solved then maybe ..
.Some Chinese CEOs are fans of Elon/Tesla and they will keep up approach with copy/paste, teardowns etc etc.
.Tesla no longer sharing secret sauce .. cheers!!

This is a topic I think this forum should spend some time on and would be of value to all of us.

My gut tells me that this will become the next "competition is coming" scare. I don't think it will so easy for China to make a huge impact outside of Asia soon. They will get there but it will take much longer than people think, imo. I had some exposure/experience in China during my career but it would be great to hear from others on this topic.

Here is why I think the Chinese EV expansion outside of Asia will be slower than expected:
1. To reach huge volumes, manufacturing facilities will need to be established in Europe and North America
2. There are currently not many Chinese huge end to end manufacturing facilities outside of Asia (some in North Africa . . Investments starting in Mexico).
3. Mexico will be key to entering the US market and in Mexico the 3rd Party Supply chain is not comparable to China's supply chain. The auto supply chain is there in Mexico but the Chinese companies will need to establish their supply chain and may find that efficiencies are not like China. China's supply chain network is the best in the world.
4. There will be cultural issues. Often Chinese companies will insert Chinese ex-pats in most of the senior management roles whom are not tuned to the local cultural differences and can create mistrust, frustration and poor performance. A friend of mine that works at a Chinese bank in South America tells me that in management meetings, the conversation at times can move to Mandarin. The ex-pats will speak in Mandarin for 10 min then summarize for the locals with 2 sentences.

China can start with exports but I believe to be a huge threat to Tesla they will need to build manufacturing capacity abroad and this will take time and come with some hiccups.

Please others with experience . . . chime in.
-Chinese OEMs are the ones Elon talks of as the best competition;
-Chinese direct investment in electrical infrastructure, hydroelectrics, photovoltaics, Electric vehicles ( BYD -started with building electric busses in Brazil in 2015);
-Chinese construction of non-Chinese brands has resulted in faster market success that is largely ignored, e.g.. MG, Volvo, London taxi;
-Chinese battery and photovoltaics have grown to global dominance;
- Chinese infrastructure leaders such as State Grid are almost always led by local and/or non-Chinese expats, with the Chinese executives usually less visible. For example BYD in Brazil has a Brazilian leading executive whose face is often seen in news specials and interviews.
- The Chinese, as the largest global producer of renewables and autos continue to do very extensive effort to put a purely local face around the world, with such strategies as purely local production by locally consoled companies. one example os CAOA in Brazil unknown outside Mercosur but producer of Hyundai and Chery domestically and regular recipient of highest quality awards, so Chery has followed Hyundai as high sellers and consumer favorites.

I am mentioning more brazil for obvious reasons. Geely, though, has been highly successful with Volvo, which is Chinese-owned, small minority Swedish public.

The US and now EU are beginning to put trade barriers to Chinese development, but entities such as VAG, TSLA, MB, BMW and GM are all having excellent results there, so more efforts are happening to follow the pattern of arrangements such as that of CAOA in Brazil, to decrease susceptibility of political impediments.
One highly successful example of that is Canadian Solar:
It is strange that the only informed people who do NOT see the Chinese clearly seem to be North Americans. With ~75% of Amazon sales in US being Chinese origin we should begin to see what has happened.
In much of Africa, South America, large parts of Europe, most of Asia the problem is finding NON-Chinese high quality and cost effective products including cars and essentially everything renewable. Try finding an electric bus around the world with no major Chinese components.

For every one of us who are TSLA investors all we really need to do is look at Tesla Shanghai and Tesla sourcing of major components. That will establish that, at a minimum BYD and CATL are globally powerful competitors. Then, just ask Elon for his views, as he expressed them this week.

Each time we dismiss the most advanced and agile competitors we miss just how TSLA is one of very few to actually exceed them in some ways.

Finally, we credit TSLA with Giapress, jsutififiably. We also credit IDRA, justifiably. Then, most of us ignore that it was only Chinese ingenuity and determination that helped Tesla to accomplish that feat. A typically modern Chinese approach is to be found in IDRA and Volvo.

Perhaps it is natural to ignore just how important Chinese talent and innovation are to our own investments in TSLA.

I am looking to sell my Model 3 2018 Tesla with 90,000 miles. I paid 2 1/2 years ago, prime at $41,000. I can get $22,00 for it! Thats crazy! Thinking about going back to Toyota! I go through tires every year in Pennsylvania at $1500 plus alignment. 20,000 /year. The PCP may be going to. There is also backorders for a month to get the part for $600 plus installation , out of warranty. $2000! Had to replace the rod last month plus diagnostic for $450. for a $20 part.

I don't have revenue projections but on the investment side, I believe we can estimate about $35k per supercharger.
Return on investment obviously depends on utilization.
I stopped at a 40 stall location in Dillion SC and I was the only car charging. This $1.4m investment will take a few years to achieve a payback.
However, the Supercharger at the Florida Mall in Orlando has 16 Superchargers that appear to have a line all the time. I bet the payback is less than a year.
OT OT OT
@The Accountant

We do the East coast US, I-95 (interstate 95) route a _lot_ over last 10 years. (last weekend latest) (and I-75, I-85, etc up to Buffalo, NY)

1) Lumberton, North Carolina about 20 miles north of Dillion is better (IOHO) 8 stall 120kw charger BUT 20% discount at Texas Steakhouse for Tesla chargers so set at 100% and dine
2) Brunswick Georgia charger has "Willie Jewels BBQ" and 250 charger
3) Williston South Carolina/ North Florence Bucke'es 250kw charge and see 128 gas pumps
4) Yulee Florida has a CF off-ramp that was designed by ??traffic engineers?? (IMHO) you slalom thru traffic (plus expensive eateries)
5) I-4 Orlando area _always_ slow, use 301. Jacksonville charger on I-10 west, Chafee?, Hot food from Winn-Dixie deli, (near bathrooms) get to 301 near Baldwin, head to Ocala, join I-75 if headed Tampa/St Petersburg/Sarasota/Sanibel/Naples

Last edited:
Not sure if serious but I'll bite.

No. Their role is only one - to manipulate the stock as much as possible to maximize profits. This unfortunately seem to be missed a lot but not by the 'media'
The 'media' such as cnbs is an another tool which they use for that same very reason.
Is this really what you believe? That a guy like Dan Ives tries to manipulate a stock? Given that he as a price target on Tesla way above current trading price, I take it you believe that he is trying to manipulate the stock price upwards? How do you see him making money from that, indirectly through increased trading volumes or how?

I agree with you... but also, China expanding and being competition to Tesla doesn't necessarily mean entering the US market at that level. I suspect that competition will happen instead in places where the belt-and-road initiative is already going. I see south-east Asia, Africa, and Europa first. They're already doing it.