Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.The problem with the S/X charging speeds
I don't really get this. In most cases the charging stops in my six year old S85 are fifteen minutes. That's about the same time that it takes for a pit stop and getting a drink. Once in a while I have to wait another minute or two. Sometimes there are longer charge stops if the network isn't quite built up enough, but that's only about 5% of total charging stops on a trip.

I'm wondering why Tesla didn't do this refresh in Q1 - I expected them to do it, the Q1 demand hole in the S/X space was predicted and expected based on the removal of the 75D, which was 50% of demand and with the obvious direction of most of those budget constrained customers would take: Model 3 AWD or Performance.

Also, the removal of the 75D was effectively unannounced and on a very short notice, which minimized 'last chance' sales. Might chalk that up to bad PR and communications though.

Either they were surprised by the ~50% drop in S/X deliveries and Raven was simply not ready in time, or they expected it but wanted to combine the S/X power train refresh with the HW3 upgrade.

Today's ER will tell us exactly how big of a hit half of the S/X deliveries missing caused to the bottom line ...

I’m wondering why anyone is wondering in the simple context it doesn’t matter since it’s in the past and can’t be changed. And until the 4-part trilogy comes out, we’ll never know.

Better get 'em while their hot. I have seen a couple of different videos that bring up an interesting thought. At what point does Tesla not sell cars to the public anymore? Granted this is based on several rather large assumptions, but if true Level 5 is achieved, and the Tesla Network truly does come to pass, and Tesla has created a huge fleet of corporate owned cars through lease returns, and their profit margins on the network use is what Elon claimed they could be at the Autonomy Day, then why would they want the hassle and turmoil that surrounds selling cars to the public? The profits from the network would be so huge that it would seem beneficial to just make cars without pedals or steering wheel and just make them as they needed to supplement their network fleet. Same goes for the truck. Make a truck that is nothing but a rolling bed with no cab whatsoever and then just put them on the network so people could use them as they need to haul something, get lumber, whatever you do with a truck. Tesla Semi? Boy, what could that do to the trucking industry if there were just a bunch of Tesla Semis out there for rent as shipping companies, or even private people needed to use them.

Might not be able to buy a Tesla at some point. I know...crazy, but it could happen. Something to think about.

Dan

Because there will still be a lot of people who still want to own their own cars for the foreseeable future and we would still want the option of owning the best EV. Providing those car will still help with the mission.

Reactions: jerry33
...you know, a thought just came to me.

The problem with the S/X charging speeds (and I think it is a problem, being at only 200 kW when the Model 3 is at 250 kW - on a road trip beyond the Model S's range (Model X is a different beast entirely), this combined with the Model 3's higher efficiency means that the Model 3 is a faster car) is believed to be cooling, yes?
I believe the difference in S/X supercharging speed is because of smaller conductors to the pack itself, but I could be wrong about that.

Cool - so Ford will have to stop attacking EVs as a general class as well - which should indirectly help Tesla as well.

~100 million EVs per year need to be manufactured for a 10 year period just to replace the 1 billion ICE vehicles - there's enough of demand for both Tesla and Rivian.

The flip side is that Tesla will have to execute well in the premium class, to protect their U.S. market share from Rivian. (But for years the main competition should be ICE makes, not other EV makers.)

This also probably removes Ford from the list of mystery ICE manufacturers that could partner with Tesla as per the rumor @KarenRei heard from a reliable source. Pretty much only GM and FCA are left as candidates, and both are plausible candidates as eventual partners to Tesla. ;)

I don't stress about any EV's coming to market. It's a very big cake indeed that Tesla are beginning to eat and plenty to share with others.

The more compelling EV's the better, never forget that this is The Mission, not making us rich (although one will likely follow the other).

Note also by M/T's numbers, they departed with 94% SoC and used 231 Wh/mi at about 60 mph.

Really? I missed that they were only charged to 94%. Are you sure? The only mention in the article I can find is "The Tesla's screen says the car has 370 miles of range." Which would indicate 100% charge.

If they did start with 94% that would put a 100%-0% run at ~432 miles.

Last edited:
Is it possible they knew Q1 would be bad due to pull-forward demand and spent this time tooling up for Raven?

That doesn’t make sense to me. This group of people have a plan, have always had a plan, and are executing the plan just as fast as humanly possibly.

This type of change takes more than a couple of months to execute. Besides the many tooling, casting, production line etc... changes, there also had to be some simulation and testings.

That unnecessarily excludes addressable demand from customers who are perfectly fine and familiar with the current S/X interior but want a more future-proof power train, both in terms of performance and in terms of charging speed.
The only interior upgrade from my 2013 S85 I would like to see is to make the shoulder straps comfortable for passengers. Every trip I get complaints because they can't be adjusted and bite into the passengers neck. (This happens to me to, but I can tuck the strap under the shirt collar to alleviate the pain.) I'm not happy about the mandatory centre console either. I really like the open space.