Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would've happened anyway, over some other subject.
This place takes the cake for being a collection of long term holders micro managing expectations.
The nattering naybobs of negativism that persist here would be little more than a slight amusement in passing, were it not for the alarmist reactions of supposed long term investors.
I say pish on the denizens of despair!
Yah I hear ya. I’m probably one of those sometimes. Human nature I suppose.

This is quite amateur stuff imo.

I wouldn't be surprised if the strike there is part of the problem. (It is hard to pay your invoices or respond to notices if the post office refuses to deliver them to you.)

That horse says a lot of horse *sugar* that turns out to be misleading. No one thinks that Tesla is abandoning SuperChargers. It just is really hard to manage planning through go live without project managers and other staff to do it. People pointing out SuperChargers going live now saying see it isnt slowing are being dishonest. Lets see how permitting and moving from permitting to construction to go live slow down.
The most of the 500 that were laid off on the supercharging team located potential sites and negotiated with the site owners. Local contractors including electrical engineers pulled permits and did the job site construction. Obviously Tesla supplied the charging equipment.

Elon is known to be overly optimistic and plans change. What's your point?

Not DarkandStormy, but my guess is his point is that Elon has been wrong/misspoke before. We'll all have to wait 5 years to see if this RT/FSD/AI/Optimus plays out.

Having followed the solar/energy side of Tesla far more in the past few years (and wanted the PW myself before), the solar roof has been a pretty bad disaster I feel. Far worst in overpromising and underdelivering and prices were jacked up from say, $50k -> $100k even with signed contracts. People then sued, Tesla backed down and did the project or just said we don't install in that area now and cancelled their own region install team or pointed them to 3rd parties. The install rate/take rate is pretty low/poor for something promised to change how solar is done for residential.

I've never felt unlike the EV market, the Tesla solar residential part (note I stated residential) was their strong point. I suppose being sued to force Tesla to commit the signed contracts was the major downer.

All this said, there are happy owners/installed people on solar roof and any solar roof makes a lot of sense for someone with a very strange/angular roof that panels would just be a jumbled mess.

Would you buy a new car without Autopilot? I’m not even talking about FSD.
Lots of new cars have very good highway functionality.

I personally wouldn’t pay a red cent for Level 2 City Streets functionality because that adds no value to me when only long highway drives are fatiguing, but that’s a more individual thing.

I wonder how he plans to do that though? Will he rebuild the teams he just let go, or begin a completely different strategy on how to build the SC network going forward? 🤔
The consumer vehicle network is mostly in place. The heavy truck charging network needs to be developed in order for high usage EV trucking to eclipse ICE trucking.

This should be a shock to no one here. Especially long term investors.

There has been lots of nonsense tossed out by the media lately, or by bears or even members here armchair quarterbacking and attempting to read between the lines and second-guess the greatest entrepreneur the world has ever seen.

I’d like to suggest an observation that some people are truly unconsciously letting themselves get influenced by that nonsense.

People think Tesla’s going to stop making cars or Superchargers? Really? Who will carry on the mission of transitioning the world to sustainable transport? GM? Lucid? Do you think Elon believes China’s going to flood the US with BYDs?

Superchargers are the standard in North America. People thought Tesla was going to just abandon them?

People need to relax and stop letting themselves get pulled into the media’s bubble of high school gossip. Like take a serious 500mg chill pill.

The media makes money by being dramatic. Elon is often not great about being clear in his posts. He never has been. It is our job to recognize that and recognize that reality will not be as dramatic as the media has painted it to be.

As a consequence, it is unwise to make investment decisions on knee-jerk reactions to rumors, gossip, and reading between the lines.

The work ethic and corporate culture at Tesla that has put them miles ahead of competitors did not arise out of a lazy and easygoing CEO. And this comes from someone who has been closely watching the company evolve since the Roadster days.

Elon is still Elon. He is damn determined to make every car electric and spread solar and battery backup everywhere.

It’s shocking to me that Tesla can now see the end of the tunnel on this massive share price kickstarter (FSD and even Optimus) and people are talking about selling NOW.

These catalysts are not far off in the grand scheme of things.
^^^ This ^^^ times three thousand.
I will say, I let myself be carried away by the overreaction to the SC layoffs ... by finally completing my TSLA -> Roth IRA stuffing for the year (basically a long-term bet that helps with taxes on expected long-term profits). That layoff, a definitive (and yes initially frightening) move is a "put your money where your mouth is" sign of confidence that FSD end of tunnel is in sight BY THOSE WHO HAVE THE DATA. A move like that is so much more than the Elon tweets over the years of "11.x is awesome". He never trimmed the Tesla sails this dramatically after any of those tweets. And as mentioned before, surely the Board must have signed off on support of that layoff.
For those who the FUD has gotten to this year ... have we forgotten Tesla warned us 2024 would be a low revenue year, between planned growth waves? The advances we have seen in 2024 have already outpaced my tempered expectations for the year. Yes, car sales will be slow. Yes, SC expansion will slow (but not stop as current evidence already shows).
Elon has the information to make these dramatic decisions. We ... do not. Best I can tell from the outside, Elon and the Board hit it right on many, and fix their misses as fast as possible.
I really wish (for my own personal timing reasons) that 2024 was the bonanza year, but I ain't sellin' now.
Emotionally, it is tough with all the FUD, but those who have most of the world's cash and whose oxen are being gored right now, see their oxen heading to the slaughterhouse when the battery glut, redesigned Model 3/Y, and/or Unboxed model come together, with FSD online ... those folks are raising the FUD level to 11. And as most of us know, Elon is their best attack surface, and his use of X and the ambiguity that provides feeds the FUD. That is nothing new, but we forget it at our financial peril.
Thanks for your great post, @Todd Burch !!!

Lots of new cars have very good highway functionality.

I personally wouldn’t pay a red cent for Level 2 City Streets functionality because that adds no value to me when only long highway drives are fatiguing, but that’s a more individual thing.
Actually it adds a lot of value. It's saved me from two accidents. I call that good value for money.

Would you buy a new car without Autopilot? I’m not even talking about FSD.

I’ve mentioned that we recently bought a used 2022 Toyota Tundra to serve primarily as a tow vehicle. It has both Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist*. The Adaptive Cruise Control seems on par with Tesla’s. The Lane Keep Assist is noticeably less smooth. So, even pretty standard ICE vehicles seem to have much of the functionality of Autopilot. And, yes, I would expect those features in any future EV purchase.

*Lane Keep Assist is not available in our truck in either of its tow modes. I guess that’s for safety concerns.

I’ve sent a fair amount of time battling unwarranted FUD re: Tesla’s and EV’s in general on several social media sites.

FUD should not be assumed to be unwarranted or used in a derogatory manner. Fear, uncertainty and doubt may be quite justified when a company’s actions - including those of its leader - warrant such feelings. To never feel fear, uncertainty or doubt as to Tesla’s prospects or Elon’s actions seems to me unhealthy - and potentially risky.

Yeap, and likely most of this is not even on Uber's income. Driver's regularly set up this up directly with passengers once they know them. I have even had them offer direct contact for the return trip from the airport. I am sure Uber discourages but there is not much they can realistically do with the drivers being "independent contractors". Robotaxi will not have this issue.
I can attest to that as well. One Uber driver I talked to picked up a private gig for a commuter. Every day he drove someone to and from work. It was a customer the driver found through Uber, but Uber got no benefit.

I wonder how much of that "off the books" revenue Uber is losing. It's revenue that robotaxis would gain.