Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Legacy continues to walk back EVs :(

Fierce options battle I see. Max Pain is still only 175, yet the Call walls remain at 180 and 185 for the week.
I'm back in...

1717082402576.png

• Informative
Reactions: Drumheller
IMO - the biggest pushback to EV's is the sky is falling rhetoric on Climate Change followed by the government mandates getting everyone worked up that they will be forced into a crappy Prius and choices will be taken away from them.

I have personally converted (or at least opened the minds) of several ICE driving right-of-center people to purchasing a Tesla in the last few years. They are sold on it simply because of the superior performance, technology and savings - not because of their fear of Climate Change.

If we really care about "The Mission" we need ALL people to consider getting EV's and we are fooling ourselves if we think more doom and gloom rhetoric will move the needle.

This is why I think (hope!) the Cybertruck will do more to mainstream EV's than any other Tesla model because it is targeted at a market that is least likely to get an EV.

Agreed.

This is one of the things Elon has recognized about EV's early on: relying solely on climate activism for sales and motivation for folks at large won't move the needle enough. You need to appeal the average Joe... and the Leaf ain't it. Hence:

- He made EV's that are stellar performers
- He made them stylish
- He made them practical
- He made them affordable
- He recognizes there will need to be a ramp to adoption
- He recognizes screaming that the sky is falling only allows detractors to deploy more FUD
- He understands that "People overestimate short term effects, and underestimate long term effects" applies to the climate as well

Elon's in a fight for the existence of humanity, and it's a multi-faceted battle...

Last edited:
The problem we have here is a company where the mission is to "accelerate" the transition and the head of that company saying "moving gradually" is just fine.

If all of humanity was for this new transition, then the nuances of his posts would mean nothing. BUT, humanity has been lied to and manipulated into thinking otherwise. So his posts come off as - "see, told you, we don't have to worry". Which is BS.

Acceleration can be gradual, right? And non-linear... ramping over time often makes sense.

Acceleration can be gradual, right? And non-linear... ramping over time often makes sense.
So you're being a wordsmith eh? ;) Placing 'gradual' within the context of 'Acceleration', creating mini S-curves. I get it.

But like I said, if people who already do not care about the transition (my very ultra-conservative, Trump loving in-laws as examples) take his posts like that at face value, then he is causing more harm than good.

He really should be aligning his posts(thoughts) with the context of his company (Tesla). There should be no grey area on this subject.

I don't think there is an oversupply of cells per se.

Prices have not come down because there is slower demand for cells. Prices have come down because of the demand for cells to be used in EVs (relative to supply). An EV is the most profitable place to deploy a cell. So when automakers are cell constrained, prices go up.

Every cell that is made can be sold and truly, we still need a much larger supply of cells for the future.

Overall, I think there is still a shortage of cells.

Reports of $47 for stationary, $57 for cars from one manufacturer (CATL or BYD?), so definitely a premium.

I still think that Tesla at the very least have steadied supply chains.

The demand for EV cells has also in my opinion been hit hard compared to projections.

Before: All these other car makers fighting over cells, seemingly having manufacturers multiple count supply going to several different customers - so not all car companies would have had sufficient cells for their most aggressive demand figures

Now: Bit of demand weakness, but luckily most of the insane demand couldn't have been supplied anyway.

Overall, turned out nice again.

So you're being a wordsmith eh? ;) Placing 'gradual' within the context of 'Acceleration', creating mini S-curves. I get it.

But like I said, if people who already do not care about the transition (my very ultra-conservative, Trump loving in-laws as examples) take his posts like that at face value, then he is causing more harm than good.

He really should be aligning his posts(thoughts) with the context of his company (Tesla). There should be no grey area on this subject.

His stance here is in line with my other post... Taking a balanced stance towards it is likely to cause less knee-jerk reaction by folks, and likely allows for greater adoption long term.

Let's face it, folks willing to sacrifice money, convenience, or lifestyle for the environment are probably a significant minority. Allowing them to gradually come aboard is probably better then alienating them and emboldening the detractors.

Would Elon prefer more rapid adoption and action? Probably.

Does he feel like balance is the better long-term play? I suspect so.

Last edited:
Agreed. I would guess in 2030 tesla will be producing similar or marginally more vehicles than it is now. I think storage will become the main business. And I doubt they will be in the supercharger business within 3 years.
The Tesla Energy business is far more than simple storage. The packaging is crucial, including Autobidder in the first instance, but also including direct energy supply in public supply form, as Tesla is so licensed and is active in many lucrative markets.

I am more prone to emphasize moderation in TE outlook when confronting with someone who sees minimal competition. Despite that and my own chosen deployments (which are Jinko/Huawei and second place BYD) it is unquestionable that where Tesla competes it is highly successful and will continue a high growth trajectory.

Objectively there is huge growth in this arena for nearly all competent competitors. A review of IEA data classifies the enormous potential. That potential has room for Tesla to grow exponentially for some decades. Even more so when understanding that Data manipulation in all its forms, but most strikingly in generative AI , is causing unprecedented growth in energy supplies. Those are most efficiently supplied with storage+wind+solar in most areas of the world.

What that also suggests is that Superchargers are highly likely to generate significant income and participate in the growth of VPP technologies, a Tesla strength.

We should all realize that the writer claims Idaho, a place where his sentiments are probably more needed than even...most of the world...from the Netherlands to Yemen. We all are susceptible to that chasm. I'm loath to think I fall victim, but it took my mother-in-law's 100th birthday last week to find common ground between the children (now in 40's) and the more correct ones (all of us in our 70's). The chasm came about because nearly all of us ignored @Paracelsus' wise counsel.

Please move @Paracelsus' post to: Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit
A propos... where is @Artful Dodger ?
I see now that @Kruggerand name doesn't turn blue... were they banned and then deleted their account?

TMC seems to be full of expert stock pickers that went from a 20x on AAPL then jumped to a 20x on TSLA then went all in on the next 20x on NVDA. I mean this forum is absolutely full of theses genius stock pickers.
Exaggerated but...there are quite a few older people here who were in AAPL, then TSLA and gains multiples but probably 7 to10x would be more likely. I'd wager very few of them picked NVDA, but quite a few INTC and a few of the ancients actually were in PYPL, and some even pre-merger.

I will wager very few of those people think of themselves as 'genius stock pickers'. Nearly every one fo them probably realize a big part was luck and another big part was direct involvement in Silicon Valley in the 'dark ages' as all o this evolved from 1998 when ICANN was formed. Bluntly said, being there then provided a singular view of what the future could bring.

That made some of us bet on AAPL despite Mr. Jobs' horrible personal hygiene. That then led to an understanding of how highly eccentric people could make transformations so Mr. Musk seemed credible from Zip2.

Nearly everyone at that age never imagined that a clever video game outfit could transform anything.

I resemble your remarks. There's plenty of less-wise stockholders that these shenanigans continue to work on. Let's just say that your no longer their "target audience"...congratulations.
I bought VEPCO in 1973. Luckily for me I learned never to believe anything "a certified financial planner and investment advisor" ever says. MY best investments since then have often been rated 'F' our the equivalent. It was hugely lucky to learn from mistakes.