Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:

Looking forward to the rest of this exchange. My guess is that the "science" proving that CNNs are just as good will turn out to not hold to whatever Tesla is doing(which my unqualified guess is diffusion).
Did Elon misspeak, or is Tesla doing something that scholar is saying not possible? Let's see ..

Legacy continues to walk back EVs :(
Even Farley can't be trusted. I thought he had finally figured things out. I guess not.

They won't commit until they figure out how to make EVs profitably. Which means Tesla is going to have to go it alone along with BYD and the other Chinese EV manufacturers until legacy gets their heads out of their choo-choos.

Legacy is just assuring themselves that they are going to be way, way, way behind once they eventually change.

And consumers see that the legacies aren't committing, so they're reluctant to switch to them. Except for Teslas.

I think this problem will take care of itself through laissez faire economics. Gasoline (petrol for the non-Yanks) will get more expensive. And at some point the laggards will have to switch. And if the legacies are unprepared--particularly when it comes to battery supply, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Imagine we have a big surge in gas prices again. (It will happen again). Demand for EVs go through the roof, and the legacies haven't secured enough supply to make enough EVs. Then they're screwed, and I won't feel bad.

Even Farley can't be trusted. I thought he had finally figured things out. I guess not.

They won't commit until they figure out how to make EVs profitably. Which means Tesla is going to have to go it alone along with BYD and the other Chinese EV manufacturers until legacy gets their heads out of their choo-choos.

Legacy is just assuring themselves that they are going to be way, way, way behind once they eventually change.

And consumers see that the legacies aren't committing, so they're reluctant to switch to them. Except for Teslas.

I think this problem will take care of itself through laissez faire economics. Gasoline (petrol for the non-Yanks) will get more expensive. And at some point the laggards will have to switch. And if the legacies are unprepared--particularly when it comes to battery supply, they are going to be in a world of hurt.

Imagine we have a big surge in gas prices again. (It will happen again). Demand for EVs go through the roof, and the legacies haven't secured enough supply to make enough EVs. Then they're screwed, and I won't feel bad.

I don't agree with this assessment. I believe the problem is simply, not everyone wants an EV for a mix of reasons. I see you own 3, I own 1 as well. There are a couple major reasons, which for me, I think are: 1) Cost, 2) Can't charge at home (renters).

Maybe if we had $10k EVs, it might matter, but EVs have historically been more expensive than ICE cars. Some people simply can't afford them, even with the IRA since those people buy used which before, if you didn't have enough income, you also got no credit (doesn't apply now though). A lot of people also rent. Rentals are generally bad for EVs since all you get is a carport with no outlet to charge. Put 50% of the people in this situation. Add in 50% of those who don't like EVs/climate. You now have a demand problem after all the early/richer adopters.

I think fixing a way to charge for renters would be a major boon for electrification, even if it's level 1 charging actually.

People are not committing IMO not because legacies aren't committing, it's because of those reasons above. A simple car buyer don't care about legacy OEMS, climate change, Tesla, Elon Musk, everything we argue here, etc. They just want a car to go from a -> b for their job/life. Can't charge, no $$/being pooooooar, are the bigger problems.

I don't agree with this assessment. I believe the problem is simply, not everyone wants an EV for a mix of reasons. I see you own 3, I own 1 as well. There are a couple major reasons, which for me, I think are: 1) Cost, 2) Can't charge at home (renters).
Yeah I'm not saying that the only reason people aren't getting EVs is because legacies aren't committing. There are obviously practical reasons (people who drive a lot like traveling salespeople might not want to stop to charge, people may not have access to convenient charging, people who tow a lot, etc.). Cost is less of an issue now but obviously it's still an issue for many. (Though lots of people drive $40-60k vehicles that aren't choosing EVs, and that doesn't even consider the lower cost of operation). But surely there are legitimate barriers.

What I'm saying is that the lack of legacies to commit to EVs is causing a lot of people who otherwise might get an EV to rethink their decision. But the reason that legacies don't want to commit is because they can't figure out how to make them profitably. And as they've pulled back, things will only get harder for them because now they have dialed back their contracts for batteries and are doing less EV-related R&D.

(For the record I only have one Tesla--you're seeing my history of ownership, not my current cars...I only have one car).

What I'm saying is that the lack of legacies to commit to EVs is causing a lot of people who otherwise might get an EV to rethink their decision. But the reason that legacies don't want to commit is because they can't figure out how to make them profitably.

I think this statement is what I just disagree with. Unlike folks like you or me who are on here daily learning, discussing, disagreeing, debating, do you really think a lot of people outside of us even care one bit what Ford just announced or plans to do with EVs? My thought is a resounding no. If they are homeowners, have the $$, almost always, they already have a gas car, they can simply get their 'next' car as an EV and it's not because of legacies committing. There are many more options now if someone didn't want to go Tesla for whatever reason.

They are thinking who they are going to meet up with this weekend, their travel plans, this or that. They simply don't care at all what Ford nor Toyota does. EVs/Cars/climate/solar/ESS doesn't waste a braincell in their minds (ok, maybe 1 cell).

My guess is $40k-$60k gas car buyers, if they are renters, you have your answer there (it's easy to afford a lease/car vs. a $1.5+ mil home anywhere in California). Of course, the whole market isn't CA, but we're ~50% of the market.

I also think legacies simply don't see the demand at these price points. Even Tesla would have trouble making any $$ selling $20k MYs right? Even at $40k, legacy maker EV lose $$ so if folks aren't biting at $40k, how far do all manufacturers have to cut?

Reactions: advocate8
Holy Cow! (Can I say that still?)
Almost 300K Calls at 185 for tomorrow.
Fight-Fight-Fight!

View attachment 1051970

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your posts, but I am curious as to why you appear to look at the call walls above current stock price as a positive? Historically, big call walls above the current stock price are a large negative - not a positive. Whereas large put walls below the current stock price are positive for the stock price.

Well, the Comma.ai, i.e. OpenPilot, guy said they no longer use CNNs either. That makes it seem like Elon might have been accurate.
It’s really crazy that Elon had a vision of FSD earlier than the point in time that the transformer architecture was published. “Attention is all you need” was published in 2017: Attention Is All You Need - Wikipedia