Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They just did not invest in the 4680 team, the whole thing has basically been a sham. They had a 100 person team working on something that required 1000. That's really on you need to know... 100 person team to deliver a breakthrough new battery. EM is not an idiot. He knew it was not enough. The battery lead was also culpable, Drew. He was giving presentations that clearly were at odds with reality. Oh well. Today is today. Tesla has no credible battery advantage, that opportunity is gone.
Surprised no one posted this 3-week old video here; CATL seems ahead of Tesla's battery density; fortunately, Tesla is partenring with CATL.

I to am surprised that the Cybertruck's range is not as presented at the reveal, (oprional range extender?? geeez!) even after all this time, and 2 years ago I would have rather bought the Plaid Plus I'd expected, though I love my Plaid Model X anyhow.

Anyway, I think we'll see some awesome range and increasingly dense batteries in the years to come, not very far away.

Last edited:
Reactions: MD70 and advocate8
They just did not invest in the 4680 team, the whole thing has basically been a sham. They had a 100 person team working on something that required 1000. That's really on you need to know... 100 person team to deliver a breakthrough new battery. EM is not an idiot. He knew it was not enough. The battery lead was also culpable, Drew. He was giving presentations that clearly were at odds with reality. Oh well. Today is today. Tesla has no credible battery advantage, that opportunity is gone.
Please provide the organizational structure supporting the 1000 person assertion along with the 100 person version.

He was clearly an idiot investor. That said....he's not wrong on his major thesis that EM has not delivered on many promises. As noted Autobidder is an exception as I think that is working and working well. The rest of it though spot on and that's the issue. EM failed to deliver on the 4680. They have no new chemistry, no increased density, no real volume production. The rest of it is mostly tied to FSD. I feel investors have a right to be upset and while it is good to see EM focused on Tesla, again, it is clear he wasn't. It's also clear that lots of his words and actions don't map. In particular in regards to 4680 and FSD. Having a giant battery day presentation and then completely failing to support battery investments- I think I'd be clawing back his comp if I were there chairman of the board.
I watched all his videos and it's clear his entire investment thesis was based on success of 4680. And he doubled down by going heavily into leaps. Very risky.

What people fail to grasp about Tesla is that it has to be viewed as a collection of startups. It's like you are putting your money into a venture capital firm.

You actually should expect a lot of initiatives to fail. You are betting that one or two pay off big.

Last edited:
You don't know that hiring 1000 people would have made a difference. Nobody does.

Making ev batteries is really hard. There is a reason very few battery companies have been successful.

Elon tried to hit a home run. Turns out, he might settle for a double.

Can’t see it except for the following, “Donald Trump and Elon Musk have discussed a possible advisory role for the Tesla leader should the presumptive Republican nominee reclaim the White House, the latest sign that the once-frosty relationship between the two men has thawed.

The role hasn’t been fully hammered out and might not happen, people familiar with the talks said, but the two men discussed ways to give Musk formal input and influence over policies related to border security and the economy, both issues on which Musk has grown more vocal.”

So it appears to be a click-bait headline, though I would like to read the full article.
Read it here MSN

The 4680 is hardly a "sham". Behind schedule, yes, but they are being manufactured and put into vehicles today, albeit in less volume than many of us expected, but still improving over time.

Many of the battery day 4680 promises are likely still down the road, Tesla will just take more time than we all thought to get there. Like usual.

Compared to the rest of the market, yes it is.

Why so negative all the time Nancy? Oh yeah, we know why. 😒

Tesla randomly moves +/-3% daily. It's all noise honestly with no meaning almost all of the time, no matter whether you're a bull/bear.

As for the market, Salesforce had a massive miss so it's bringing down all the indices (it's down almost 20% and -$50+) More things are actually up outside of this, but this made the Dow drop 350+ and every other index is down (it's in every other index out there).

The 4680 is hardly a "sham". Behind schedule, yes, but they are being manufactured and put into vehicles today, albeit in less volume than many of us expected, but still improving over time.

Many of the battery day 4680 promises are likely still down the road, Tesla will just take more time than we all thought to get there. Like usual.

I agree. Tesla have shaped battery-makers' actions by having something in the wings that can take over if the others drag their feet.

Now that there's an oversupply, Tesla are showing themselves to be reliable customers compared to flip-flopping unreliable legacies (similar to chip shortage dynamic). This extends to the whole battery supply chain, probably preventing some mines & refiners from going bust - something that would slow EV adoption.

Before or after taxes.
So he kicks me anyway. I was being honest and humble.
Maybe you were you impressed that I made all that money? 🤣

Edit: But the month's not over yet. Hey!
Just sign over your account anytime - I could totally make you rich too. /s

1717080390351.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Ellec
Are the NVDA forums treating Huang like he's an all-knowing me(u)ss(k)iah?

Well, kind of. And his fans don't blame him when nvda dips either.

Otoh, he works full time on Nvidia, keeps his tweets positive, hits his projections, and doesn't dump billions in NVDA in the open market.

While doing dd on NVDA, I was shocked to learn that Nvidia only missed guidance 3 times in a decade, and they guide every quarter.

Yep, I like Huang a lot.

Now that there's an oversupply,
I don't think there is an oversupply of cells per se.

Prices have not come down because there is slower demand for cells. Prices have come down because of the demand for cells to be used in EVs (relative to supply). An EV is the most profitable place to deploy a cell. So when automakers are cell constrained, prices go up.

Every cell that is made can be sold and truly, we still need a much larger supply of cells for the future.

Overall, I think there is still a shortage of cells.

Well that certainly isn't me. Although I've made nice profits over the past few decades on stocks like AAPL, AMZN, GOOG, MSFT, NVDA, etc, I "took profits" regularly and traded in and out of them fairly often. Truth is if I had simply held my shares in any of them I'd be much richer today than I am, and I've done the retrospective math to prove it to myself. And I lost money on many other stocks too, overall I made more than I lost but I made a ton of investing mistakes that never should have happened in hindsight.

Of course all of those stocks did not go up in a straight line, there were big dips and pullbacks, moments of lost conviction, tons of FUD against them all, etc. A very familiar story to what TSLA has been going through for the past forever and a while.

It's why I'm simply holding my shares of TSLA despite all the noise and flat years. I'm more convinced of Tesla's future than I ever was on any of the stocks I mentioned above, this time I'm not making the same mistake. I'm just being patient while I wait for the dough to rise in the oven I've set for myself, what I should have done for every one of the positions I had several times over above. 😎
I resemble your remarks. There's plenty of less-wise stockholders that these shenanigans continue to work on. Let's just say that your no longer their "target audience"...congratulations.